Board Game General - /bgg/: Over-rated British Comedians Edition

Here, have a pastebin:

pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T

>What was the most fun you had playing plebshit?

>What's that one game from your childhood that you still kinda like, even though it was clearly dogshit?

>What's your favourite British board game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=535Zy_rf4NU
portalgames.pl/sklep/pl/neuroshima-hex-3.0--doomsday-machine-72.p.html
youtube.com/watch?v=XkLqAlIETkA
64ouncegames.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When I was 14 or 15, I felt pretty shitty after a rough day at school, so (after some prompting from Mum), my little brother asked me if I wanted to play Risk. Also, my little brother and I played Monopoly with our granddad in the back garden, under the big tree. I still have those games somewhere.
>What's that one game from your childhood that you still kinda like, even though it was clearly dogshit?
Snuggly Bugs. It's basically babby's first Carcassonne, but I played it with my future niece-in-law, and she seemed to like it.
You mean the designer, or the subject matter...? Either way, it's Ankh Morpork.

I think Miniature Market does something along those lines. I've never tried it so I don't know how it works
You forgot the link back to last general
>game from childhood I still like
Uh... Asshole? (We called it Asteroid tho)
>fave British board game
I think it's Keyflower but honestly I can't think of any others

I've been meaning to buy / read that book OP, thanks for reminding me.

>>What was the most fun you had playing plebshit?
UNO / Parker Bros / Milton Bradly shiz from when I was a kid. My brother and Mom would play games and we'd have a good time.

>>What's that one game from your childhood that you still kinda like, even though it was clearly dogshit?
2nd Edition Talisman from college. Yeah, it's got a lot that's wrong with it, but it's still something my group plays for the hell of it once in a while.

>>What's your favorite British board game?

I'm... I'm not sure. Though I'd wager a guess it was probably designed by some chap who looked like pic related..

It is actually a pretty good book. The penultimate was really unexpected, but it's a really fun read overall.

Just ordered XenoShyft, did I do good?
probably going to pledge for the new set next month if I really like it.

Just got pic related, what I'm in for?

There was this game we use to play with regular deck of cards. We played in pairs and at least one of had to make a set. Then make a secret sign to our partner and the partner would declare our victory or if our opponents noticed the sign before our partner, they could call us out and win. It was a lot of fun back then.
>What's that one game from your childhood that you still kinda like, even though it was clearly dogshit? Chess? It's not dogshit, but it's kind of obsolete. But I still have a soft spot for it, since I played it a lot as a kid in the school chess club.

You mean Euro? S-splendor? Lords of Waterdeep? I still kind of new to the hobby, 2 and a half years. I played Catan once and don't need to play it ever again.

FUN

Awww yeah, I FUCKING LOVE FUN

Splendor is a phenomenal mind crunch where you and your friends will refuse to talk to each other for 30 minutes until someone wins and you all curse in joy.

ONUW is without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played, always a riot for a party. Only gets better with the expansion.

Tokaido is more like a toy, to be enjoyed for what it is and not to win.

But yes.
FUN.
In a poor attempt to get some help in relation to a board game, what do you anons do to make Talisman more enjoyable? I already have an expansion or two with it, so I figure I should play it at least a couple more times before pawning it. I hear Reaper helps with the lack of player interaction, and Dragon speeds up the game by making everything more power. I hear people also place cards out from the deck instead of having people draw.

My group just acquired Forbidden Stars and I'm just now going through the rules.

I was wondering if other people who have played it have any thoughts on the game.

>what do you anons do to make Talisman more enjoyable?
Put it back in the box and play a different game.

>tfw just discovered the neuroshima hex app
This is awesome. I've spent my entire day in this thing...

It's a very interesting game, presents some good tactical puzzles, but be prepared for a long haul for your first game. Especially if you're going for 3-4 players. It starts to compete with twilight imperium for playtime at that point.

I'm tired to just pretend I shitposted about a popular eurogame here.

13 Dead End Drive was a cross between Dead of Winter and Mousetrap that took longer to set up than to play and had way more tiny pieces than its intended audience could keep track of.

*googles british board games*

I like Clue.

I've played Talisman with my friend twice and both times only one of us was having fun. The first time I got the dark witch? I think? Whichever evil magic lady is totally bullshit and auto-win.

The second time I was the ogre and this time he was winning, but I ragequit and I still feel like a dick over it.

>It starts to compete with twilight imperium for playtime at that point.
... After finishing the "basic play" rules I'm not seeing how that's possible.
Ah, wait. First game. Yeah, fumbling about due to rules is a possibility.
The game does seem rather straightforward to me, for now.

Combat is sloooooow.

The game is extremely AP inducing. Take it from experience, budget at least an hour per player, if not a 1:15.

keum's !

Now buy all the factions and try to establish an infinite loop with Doomsday for the win.

Just got these in tonight. My first decent sized order of games

>Portal won't sell Doomsday Machine army
fuck them

>Netrunner core set.
youtube.com/watch?v=535Zy_rf4NU

I actually played the CCG back in the day. I've wanted to get the Core set for a long time. Really glad I did

The CCG had a lot of really great stuff going on, and some days I even prefer the old artstyle. It had some serious problems in the deckbuilding rules though. I've been super impressed with the LCG and even more impressed with how pleasant and fun the game's community is.

board games are for nerds lol

look at this terrorist
look how problematic he is
look how triggered i am

3 out of 4 of those I would play anytime, any day of the week. Tokaido is...I guess accessible, and a well-designed game, if a bit slow and not the most exhilarating to play. I would play it again...sparingly
FYI
>Splendor
French
>LoW
American
>Catan
German
The Netrunner general seems to think Netrunner is dying. Not that this matters for casual play just worth mentioning
Never heard of Isle of Trains
>Gencon pass
Neat

>Isle of Trains
After seeing the OneTar review last week I've been tempted by this, come back with a full report after you've gotten it to the table user.

>Tokaido
I think it's best compared to stuff like Morels, or the old Kosmos 2p line, it's a pleasant experience game, but not something you want to break out nightly.

>Gencon pass
That's likely an advert about how Coolstuff is doing more at the show this year (previously just a big CCG booth and a small board game booth with 70% being a ding/dent clearance). Event registration for Gencon is a week from Sunday and ticket packs won't be mailed out til late June/early July.

Yeah I loved the old art style. The cyberpunk theme is a lot of fun, especially how gritty they can make it. I'm really enjoying going through all of the cards.
I don't mind that it's "dying". It seems that there are enough expansions and addons to keep my interest for a while.
>Gencon pass
Oops, I hate to break it to you, but that was a promo that came in the box from Coolstuffinc. It definitely could come off as a real one from the angle it's sitting.
I saw Isle of Trains in a Rahdo run through and picked it up for ~$6. It seems like a lot of fun in a small package

The netrunner general has been saying the game is dying for the past three years. Numbers have maybe deflated a little from peak, but the game's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I'll definitely follow up on how Isle of Trains plays. I'm taking Codenames, Age of War, and Isle of Trains to a friend's tomorrow to play some games

i heard you should use the new rules with the original set to make game less swingey

Second time playing Munchkin with my (at the time) gf and friend. Ex-gf got so into the game her cheeks got red she extremely excited, constantly fidgeting etc.

Definately a fond memory.
Magic: the Gathering
I'll be blasted to oblivion by this
British Imperium 3

>I'll be blasted to oblivion by this
No one here likes MtG. Hell, Richard Stallman said it was obsolete barely a few years after he started it.

I don't know how it compares to StarCraft time wise but a 6 player game in StarCraft can easily take 4-5hrs. It gets better with less players or when all players git gud but you're looking at 3hrs minimum.
> Richard Stallman
KEK

>plebshit fun
Guess Who and Monopoly with my cousins were a lot of fun, grownups let me play Rummikub with them.

>childhood game I still like
Dungeon makes me fuzzy inside

>favourite bongistani pastime
GW stuff, probably. Blood Bowl, WHFB, Space Hulk, Necromunda.

Huh?
portalgames.pl/sklep/pl/neuroshima-hex-3.0--doomsday-machine-72.p.html

Guess he means it's not included in the core set. Z-man had Doomsday, Portal axed it.

I think the color allies/enemies pentagram is still a clever design. Game may be bloated and barely what it was when it came out, but it was pretty solid back then

Fair enough, didn't know that.

The Polish version (so the Portal one) only comes with the 4 base armies: Moloch, Borgo, Outpost, Hegemony. Haven't bothered getting any other armies yet.

It's pretty good, played several times and had lots of fun even though I never won.

Try and make sure everyone knows or at least reads over the rules before playing your first game, it'll make things a lot smoother.

Originally, what's now blue was supposed to be split between blue and purple.

I got lucky and found a great deal. Z-man 3.0 core set, 2.0 Babylon 13, Duel and Dancer bundle.
Doomsday is real strong, Neojungle is my favorite, Vegas are a pain in the ass.
Gonna get Uranopolis, Sharrash and Mississippi soon.

Yeah, unfortunately Portal seems to be kind of slow about putting out English rules versions of their new stuff for Hex. :(

Is this on the app? Cuz they were def available two years ago, and by that point the physical game had already switched publishers...

You need to get Steel Police as well. Mississippi is a blast stacking poison.

I always thought they got that from Master of Magic.

help me out, I have a 20% off coupon at my FLGS that expires tomorrow, what board game should I buy?

>Lords of Waterdeep is family favorite
>We also play a lot of Betrayal at House on the Hill
>Trying to get them to play YEDO more

Considering Cacassone and Power Grid right now, what do you guys think?

Power Grid is probably *the* Euro game. So it depends if you like euros.

Don't have any opinions on Carcassone but I heard it is "meh".

>20% off
Of MSRP? Or off of a discounted price? 20% off MSRP is really minor and insignificant unless you don't live in the US. You can get games directly shipped to you for 33% off MSRP from Amazon, CSI, MM, Cardhaus etc if you live in the states.

If you're dead set on using it then I'd grab a Fantasy Flight or Days of Wonder game, as they're dictating a 25% discount max for online sellers.

But that's all predicated on you giving a shit about saving a maximum of $10. If you don't, then buy something you want.

Well, if I spend another $100 at this store I get a free booster box

An entire box? Jesus christ. That's like $80 right there, assuming it's from a modern set.

Shit nigga, if you actually care about Magic then that's a steal.

So you like euros? I could second Power Grid. I might also recommend Castles of Burgundy. CoB is a little heavier and fiddlier than the games you listed but it is, to me, the quintessential medium euro.

Broom Service is another I would recommend. It's a euro, but it almost has this party game feel to it. The brave/cowardly system is just genius and plays on your emotions perfectly. It's also fairly light and very family friendly.

Alternatively, if you want something bigger to spend the coupon on (it's worth more the more the game costs after all) you could nab a heavy euro like Terra Mystica or Caverna or Orleans: Deluxe Edition. Those are big, heavy games so buyer beware, but they're fantastic if you like that sort of thing.

Dipping into ameritrash land, Kemet is a war game that feels almost like a euro but not quite and it's on the more expensive side. Fantastic game, never seen someone dislike it.

>If you're dead set on using it then I'd grab a Fantasy Flight or Days of Wonder game, as they're dictating a 25% discount max for online sellers.
There's no MAP, they just knocked the wholesale price up 10% so online sellers have all pulled back from the 30-40% they were at to 25%.

For some reason I can't discern people that usually don't like board games even like it.

I've had chicks you'd never see playing tactical game just eat it up.

If you have cheat sheets for the tiles and powers DI cards you can really get everyone started in 5 minutes. It usually takes my that long to explain everything.

At the same time it's a really great/deep game with a lot of going on and several ways to victory.

It's uncanny.

>that pic
Absolutely fantastic. I need to make some of those now...
Good point on the handout. We've only been playing with the one that comes in the game, and frankly it sucks because it's always in use.

Yeah, kemet is just ridiculously good.
Only similar game I enjoy better is Rex, and that's largely because of the (in my head) Dune theme and amount of hidden information and politics.

We play it when we want to drink and talk. It's a good game for catching up with friends you haven't seen in a while.

My group likes it. I feel like it doesn't play well at 4 players. Just too slow with all the players. Also, don't play it with people that don't usually play large games.

I also made ones for the players. Well sans one because it doesn't fit to the box - with 3 power trays and 4 player trays everything "mostly" fits to the box (the top doesn't come all the way to the bottom of the box) but getting the game setup takes almost no time now.

I also made them a little bit too big because I knew an expansion was coming but didn't know what exactly would be in the box.

Codenames is fun and you can play it with most anyone

I've been learning Makruk, the chess variant played in Thailand. It is the national variant closest to the original game of Chaturanga that came out of India/Persia in the first millennium. Best place to play it online is PlayOK.com

Setup and moves are like chess, but 1) kings on d1,e8; pawns on 3rd ranks 2) queens are weak: one square diagonal only like chaturanga's Ferz 3) bishops are the same, but also move one square forward (like shogi silver general), 4) pawns only promote to the Ferz.

Lack of queens and bishops makes the opening move more slowly, and you go straight into a maneuvering endgame. Piece strength is Rook > Horse >= Silver > Ferz >= Pawn.

So, instead of teaching my wife Twilight Struggle or playing it with my friend, we play Grizzled on Hard mode and take it. Three player is just really easy.

But then, THEN, she wants to bring out Catan.
>its been a while user
>yea, and I hate it. Sick of 20 minutes going by and my 8 or 6 that I chose so carefully never came up. No thank you
>that was just one time, husband-o, it won't be like that
>she goes the first 14 turns without getting a single resource
>she is beside 5s, 6s, 8s, and 4s

All parties agree that, yup, just like three dragon ante, it is more the memories of it being good rather than the reality. Tonight we are supposed to resume that twilight struggle tutorial for her.

Kind of hurts my feelings that she wanted to play Catan and got burned so hard by it

We found it highly amusing. Wound up being a close game, but I was tearing through dev cards and got 3 vp cards. I had won several turns before I built for city for the "tenth" point, but I had completely forgotten I had a settlement at the other end of the island.

All my coworkers play after work is tokaido, it's so boring.

I'll still play it if people ask for it, which is a rare occurrence nowadays.
This friend of mine and his wife bought it immediately after the first time I brought it over and they overplayed it to the point of never wanting to play any game ever again.

What do you guys do for a living?
How much do you spend monthly in the hobby?

>occupation
being a biologist isn't paying the bills atm

>spending
both too much and not enough

I was a student for the longest time, and now I work part time at costco while figuring out what to do with my life (go back to school? try for city office jobs? improve my french?). thank god my wife works for the feds in native health. With canada's politics, that department isn't losing money any time soon.

Of course, there is the issue that I am the one buying board games and accessories, not her. Lucky for me, I get at least 2 board games a year as birthday/x-mas gifts.

spending, even though its only about 1 game every 2-3 months, is still 40-70 dollars I REALLY shouldn't be wasting. And of course, plaid had has to release their last batch of summoner wars decks all at once. 8x 10-12 dollars us, not including shipping. Why must they tempt me sooo.

working from home doing IT making decent money, I've been spending quite a fair amount rapidly expanding my collection which has been helped by selling over a grand worth of MTG cards over the past six months, but now I need to focus on repaying a personal debt that I promised to pay in full by the end of the year so I'll probably be spending $250 tops a month, which being an ausfag and getting assfucked by international shipping for anything OOP and/or not mainstream (I sure love paying $71 USD shipping for all Pixel Tactics games) isn't really much in reality

on the plus side, I can focus more on playing my older purchases more often. I'm also taking a greatly needed week-long break from work so I've been playing at my friend's LGS with him during quieter periods for the past few days. I had a feeling Duel of Ages II would be one of my top 3 games based on reading reviews, the PDFs and one play of the first tutorial a few months back, and playing that the past three days with him on Monday and yesterday and another friend of mine today proved that. Finally had time to sit down tonight after my friend left to figure out how to play Titan by playing as two players, really surprised at how elegantly it plays in spite of half of the game being a roll-to-move game where you barely have any say on your movement pattern. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow or Friday

Software developer. I'm spending like $100 a month, I have a mortgage and car payments so basically that takes a lot of my income out. I'm pretty satisfied with that amount since I don't want to be buying more games without playing the ones I already have.

Working in social media marketing part-time.

I only recently got into the hobby in January so I haven't been spending for long. I've so far spent about $300 in games though. I really need to cut back.

Research Engineer for a university.

I try to keep it to around $100 so I can build up savings. It easier now that FF/ANA has made themselves easy to hate.

ME in the auto industry

100 I would guess, magic is expensive

"Between jobs" is the nicest way to put it - I earn some cash reading to a registered blind lady in her mid-80's, but I'm saving that for the next local con.

I use to spend about 40 a month, but I've cut it back down to 20 again. I'm trying to get a reasonably priced copy of the new Star Wars Risk - everyone's trying to hawk it for 30+

>reading to a registered blind lady in her mid-80's
You know what the next book must be.

youtube.com/watch?v=XkLqAlIETkA

It's mostly just her personal correspondence, and maybe some family history stuff.

Incidentally, does anybody know of any good games that blind people could play? She hasn't expressed an interest in gaming, but it'd be nice to have something on offer if she does.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf

What if she's the Seer?

Add braille to the cards.

Programmer/analys forking from home.

Back of the envelope calculation says $150/month which tells me I should probably stop buying shit right now. I didn't even count the table I bought specially for gaming for a fuck-o-ton of money.

I make $4k/month before taxes so that's quite a big of chunk of money.

Holy shit.

Anyone here ever had a Kickstarter?

Like ran one or bought into one?

No on the former, many times on the latter.

Run my own personal chef/catering business, spend almost nothing each month on games, and then blowing my entire yearly budget on 2-3 cons.

>"Between jobs" is the nicest way to put it
I know the feel user, it'll get better soon

64ouncegames.com/

They make braille sleeves for a lot of different games.

Finally wo my first game of twilight struggle. Only took 5 attempts. Was nervous the whole time despite taking some early territorial gains as the reds and never relinquishing the lead. All it would take would be a few terrible events and things could have spiraled out of control (luckily I scored 12 points in round 4 with salt negotiations as held card to try again turn 5 if need be).

The stress this games causes, my god is it so unfair but amazing.

Printing & scanning software.... guy.

I spend probably on average $50 a month.

Ran one. My parents are suggesting I genuinely try to create and sell a board game. They say they'd be willing to invest.

considering buying agricola - is it a fun one?

Yeah. Personal pref on Caverna though.

Cool! I also want to try my hand in creating a game or starting up a board game cafe. Good luck to you, fellow entrepreneur!

Anyways, I helped plan an Indiegogo campaign for a non-profit. Unfortunately, it wasn't successful. If you need tips on how to be successful, there's a lot of resources out there.

Here are my 2 cents:

1) You should build up a strong (not necessarily large) following before starting the campaign. Crowdfunding campaigns are often successful because the supporting community is willing and able to share the campaign through their own networks and engage others to support the campaign. Trying to build up a supportive following in the middle of a campaign can be very difficult and is just a waste of time since your campaign is already limited by time. Make sure you're already in a decent position *before* launching a crowdfunding campaign.

2) Make sure you have the logistics of printing your game and shipping it out LOCKED DOWN. I've seen several successful campaigns crash and burn because they were not prepared for all of the shipping charges or building costs associated with producing their product. It sounds like a no-brainer but it can be easy to get swept away by all the support only to realize that you still need money to do anything.

Ok so just got done playing a few rounds of Isle of Trains. Overall, it's a really simple game to pick up quickly. The interaction such as drawing cards by loading you your opponents train cars is a lot of fun. It's also a ton of fun building a big train and there is a lot of good card interaction to try and get more points. I do feel like some of the buildings are weak or bland, but there aren't very many in the game. You tend to cycle through the deck pretty fast. I do wish it was a bit larger. But overall it's a fast, fun little game.

So my local board game store was selling a copy of Neuroshima Hex 3.0 and it came with the Steel Police expansion pack taped onto the side. I didn't realize that the expansion is for NH 2.0 though.

Is there any difference between Steel Police in 2.0 and 3.0?

To the best of my knowledge all of the everything in NH is compatible across all the versions except for Doomsday Machine which got a revised version cause the first one was bonkers nuts broken. The only difference between the versions are art and rules; all the components are cross compatible.

Which is the better ant game?

That's good to hear. It's sort of off-putting to see the different artwork, but it's great to have a functional sixth army. The NH 3.0 box I got has Doomsday Machine in it too.