WIP Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.co.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=91jzy5A-Ax0&ab_channel=AndreasPeahc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for BRETONNIA LIVES ON FOR THE LADY... KIND OF

Current state of my WIP multi jointed elbow CSM Daemon Prince of Tzeentch.
Wings have been mega pinned, shoulder pads have been drilled and pinned together through the torso. Muscles have been built up and defined some and the pinned arms have been glued into place.
After that all dries and cures I will GS in the armpit areas to cover the exposed wires and maybe define some muscles further.

I love that the skeletons in front of him look like they're running off trying to catch up to the battle.

"HOW DID WE OVERSLEEP? I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WE COULD SLEEP!"

>"You are all LATE! THE FORMATION IS ALREADY AT THE LINE"
>[Panicked Rattling Intensifies]

>"HURRY UP YOU MORONS"
>[Angrily Rattling]
>"No i dont care that charlie company stole your alarm talisman, MOVE IT"

anyone got any good ideas for carwars/general post-apoc bits for matchbox/hotwells scale models?

I got some beaters that I want to rebuild to ride, patrol, raid and survive the various areas of the wastes

Can anyone identify the treeman model? I have seen it somehwere else, and wanted to use it for wood elves.

ultraforge maybe?

lemme check

Ultraforge Miniatures Treewoman

Thanks user

I figure'd I would ask here, since I can't do it on my facebook groups and reddit's /r/yoyhammer reddit is retarted.
Anyone got a price list for ccon? I got acess to the web portal thing and the email, but that's it.

devil's route has some good insperation, user.
May I sugest a land train? Cars bashed together, welded into a mad max style warrig, but more extensive?

...that is a great idea...

In your opinion, do the 18 wheelers make solid models, or should I go squat/WWII monsters with articulation....

on a semi related note, are there any space age stuff in that scale? i might make a few bunker finds since I have some Oshkosh modular transporter like ones

Fuck off.

I'm building a Fallout-esque shack~

For something so basic, it's pretty sweet.
Keep up the God-Emperors work, guardsman.

Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the hole in the top. Let it the way it is, try to cover it, or try to fit some sort of 'glass' substitute into it.

Choices, choices.

Depends on the rest of your terrain. I'd see something small like that for the perfect chance to stick a little joke soldier into it like a grot or small robot peeking out.
If you're looking for something more gritty though, the glass washed to look like it's been covered with layers of grime would be pretty sweet.

might want to make a magnetized hatch/turret ring that gives you some flexiblity with you have there, so you can arm it for scenarios

I'm primarily thinking about using it for 'This is not a Test' stuff, so grimy window might just be the option.

Hmmm. I'll have to figure out the best material.

>oh man, if the boss finds out we were late, we are so boned

Does WIP have any recommendations for clear sealant/topcoat/finishing spray? It doesn't need to be super tough, just something matte I can use to help prevent paint wearing off my minis from handling.

Good news everyone! Conan came in today.

Now behead that mofo

And he's really tiny. I guess those 54mm over the pond are smaller than they are here.

to be fair, that is a primarch in powerarmor

How do the heads compare?

At least I have this badass barbarian to paint up!

Yeah, looks like you're stuck with ol' methhead.

Time to lavish some care and attention on those lovingly sculpted muscles.

I haven't given up yet. I'm contacting Kabuki to see if they'll let me swindle another head. If I do and they make me buy something else what should I buy? So far all I want is their Berserk phone brand.

>Does WIP have any recommendations for clear sealant/topcoat/finishing spray?

Yes.

Where is he from?

How does one get the glowing brain effect on their genestealers? The WD tutorial is just straight purple.

I use that too. Cheaper than Testors and almost as good, so best one on the market IMO.

Testors if money isn't an object, AP otherwise.

People who say AP fucks up for them are just morons who would've fucked up any brand of spraypaint or varnish.

time to sculpt your own

He's The Usurper n03 from Nocturna miniatures.

I bought him off of Ebay. The sculpts amazing but I found this little white fluff thing sticking out of his head, when I pulled on it it came out and left a hole. I'm guessing it's one part of his molding material that didn't mix properly. It's fixable but I felt you should know.

Truly, with my mediocre sculpting skills, my Curze will be unique! One of a kind!

Are Reaper Bones as shitty as they look in the picture? Whenever I look between the original sculpt's example picture and the Bones picture the Bones model just seems to have significantly less detail.

... is downstairs in the Goof Off right now getting clean.

Help, WIP, what the hell is going on with this paint? It's citadel golden griffon dry paint and it is anything but. It has the consistency of cubed bubble tea jelly and is completely unusable. Is this remotely salvageable? I just wanna drybrush some light gold highlights.

its supposed to be jelly like. You just kind of dab your brush onto it and then brush away the excess.

Corrigated metal hatch.

Get some good into a brush, it's like ryza rust.

I do not know of, sadly user.
I think it should be a kind of 18 wheeler. Not really one, just husks of cars forced together.

Well shit, I think I found one of the models I want to use for sylvaneath.

Huh. Yeah okay. I never used a paint like it before. Long as it's supposed to be this way

Been out of painting for a long while and decided to try and jump back into things with some Heavy Gear stuff I had laying around. Trying to improve but I can feel the rust and I wasn't that great when I took a break.

Theyre terrible

Hey Veeky Forums i am sick of hand drilling bolter barrels so i borrowed a rotary tool from a buddy but the thing is way too fast and melts the plastic even on the lowest possible speed setting.
So i am looking to buy one that can drill plastic without destroying the miniature.
What do you guys use if you got one?

Yeah they're basically like those little rubber toys you had as a kid.

I use one of those pen-style battry powered screwdrivers with a drill bit or, for larger things, my variable speed dremel tool.

So my first ever painted model for my ad mech army, got 3 done out of my start collecting box

And here's it's back

So i think im finaly finished with my first minis, after a lot of touch ups and advice from ya all, i can say im mildly statisfied with them.

Any C&C on them?

Really good for a first time mate. Mine were fat from that level.

Shame they eyes don't pop as much as they could, but I won't deny that they're a pain to do.
Highlights could be thinner (they always can) but it's already quite good.

I see some details, mostly on the backpacks that should be metal and that you just did blue, like the exhaust vents, round and square ones, bolts here and there, and some tiny bits on the back of the middle one.

Still, you can be proud of yourself.

And one more

For the future, you could pick out some more details on the armor, pack, and guns. Some bolts and actions, for example, went with the base color. Your work is excellent, though.

They're really good.

Only thing left to do is tidy up the base rim where the crackle paint has slipped over the edge and to make your highlights thinner. Might be hard to do that though since it looks like you washed the blue before highlighting.

You can highlight the chest eagle and weapons too.

This is really good for your first job, especially since you went for highlights and the paintjob was fairly neat.

>looks like you washed the blue before highlighting.

Yes i did.

Wait do i highlight before i wash?

I like the vallejo but its difficult to get (seems like few places have stock - I have to order from somewhere different every time).

Army painter is good. Valspar is good (but gives off a really strong odour for a few hours).

I said that as well.

Get a blob on your brush, work it about on your pallet, it's all good.

More progress on raiders, i dont ususally like gore on warhammer but im loving it here

Alright thanks. I'll look into army painter then.

So tell me /WIP/, how would you go about recreating the organic boney look in pic related ?

My go to is testors dullcoate. It's pretty good stuff.

GS and good sculpting skills, or liquid GS to give some texture, then paint it like light colored bone.

By putting it into trash.

nice and clean, lovely sails

Is there a good paint-on alternative? Where I am spraying is very inconvenient, I switched to paint-on primer already (In love with Vallejo's Airbrush Primer range, never going back to spraying) and would do the same with varnish. I got some 'Ardcoat but I'm reluctant to try it since I recall it being super glossy.

the liquid GS thing is actually a pretty neat idea, but what is the normal gs and sculpting for ? the model already exists, so presume you just change the texture to look more boney ?

harsh

pic related is pretty neat.

To make those those raised chapter insignias and tactical arrows look more defined either use nuln oil or draw a thin black line around them.

The edge highlights are a good start but need a lot more practice and some of the details could do with some love, but overall a very good first attempt.

Thanks, they stock that where I buy my paints, gonna pick up a bottle in the next order.

nice idea with the markings. but how would i go about it when i tried to that?

Just slather some nuln oil on the surface?

And if I use the other methid should i use abadon black and apply it like a edge highlight?

Asked this in a different thread but wondering if you guys could help me.

>used to play 40k when I was 12-16
>stopped after going to college because money and time
>23 now
>earning good money
>always contemplate going back but have no idea if actually playing it with the strangers at games workshop (or warhammer now whatever) would be fun

You guys play with friends or do those store meetups? Also how expensive is it really? Did it just seem like a whole lot because I was a kid or what

Because I'm a cheesy bastard, I'm adding Salamanders allies to my guard army. Harath Shen so far and 5 tacticals. Have the instant death marine. So do I paint him in the original Salamander scheme, and if so, should I just paint the rest of them like that too?

Maybe I should get more beaky heads and make a squad of only beakies for the tacticals.

I do also like the regular Salamander scheme and was considering giving Harath Shen some of that fancy scale stuff.

Yes, hence my mention of good sculpting skills.

Do it mang. Just go carefully along the way, try no to bitr lore than you can chew at first, common listake is to buy everything, and then be discouraged when you realised everything you have to paint. 2 different squads are enough to start again with.
And don't jump right in. Plan carefully ahead before starting yo buy all the tools, before finding yourself stuck when you finally start.

I did both kickstarters, so I have a shitton of 'em. The detail isn't amazing. It's about on-par with PVC plastics, and it's a bitch and a half to get mold lines off of the rubbery bastards. That being said, I don't think I could ever go back to standard minis for stuff like D&D. Bones are super cheap AND incredibly durable, I just dump all mine into a tupperware and they're fine. I would highly recommend them for a DM who travels and doesn't wanna drop the dosh on standard D&D minis, but definitely not for someone who wants fine detail and display pieces.

The other advantage is they're cheap, so you can get a couple handfuls and git gud at painting while not worrying about fucking up and stripping spendier models.

The base looks pretty nice, my crackling failed so now I need to redo them.

Are you Acnekun?
youtube.com/watch?v=91jzy5A-Ax0&ab_channel=AndreasPeahc

Really got to gloop it on, my problem is that it's peeling the base color making the cracks black
But I think I did ok for my first attempt

I play with friends and my town also has club for meetup games and such.

Hobby has a relatively high start-up monetary invetment, but gets alot cheaper after that.

Start up on the hobby buddy, its great fun.

The pictures are awful, either give the models a black wash like other companies do, or turn down the exposure a bit.

I think are being a bit unfair, for £3 for a pretty big Minotaur or whatever, you really can't sniff at the detail.

I will say one thing, I'm really struggling to paint mine. Even after a wash, I don't know if it's my Vallejo paints, but I'm struggling to get a nice even basecoat.

>apply it like a edge highlight
Kinda like that, except not on the edge but in the recess.

I personally use the nuln oil method. Just wash the entire thing, let the ink settle around it and dry and then just reapply a thin white coat on the very top and redo the colour of the pauldron but leaving a band of black shade around the insignia.

Don't do it. Dead game.

As said, gradually build a paint arsenal to paint figures, choose a range and paint an army.

I guess I need to get the old goop off to try again?

No idea I would look into it before ya try anything

my homemade treeman for WHFB. Still wip, but I like it so far

Looks nice.

And here is my second guy 1/3

2/3

Please make collages.

3/3
Any tips so far?

I would put some work on the shadows of the cloak. But good work so far

Learn how to photograph minis.

You could work on the cloak, and your gold looks a little thick, but definitely solid work.

But seriously, put the mini down, put a piece of paper behind it, use nice lighting.

i like the gold and wood gun but boy are you gonna cop it for photographing it incorrectly

not bad, all you need to do is un-thick your paints ;) and take the time for clean up

you can really tell on the head, because you can see texture. should look nice and smooth.

Noted about proper pic taking Ile remember for next time. And right now the gold is the only non citadel paint I'm using