Mecha Space Pirate Quest XIII

Welcome back, everyone, to the thirteenth chapter of Mecha Space Pirate Quest. Hopefully, you're the one dealing out the bad luck rather than receiving it today. As always, you are Pirate Admiral Roarke Susan Starwind, leader of the Iron Kestrels, master of the starship Rhinehawk, and pilot of the recently-upgraded Knuckle Kaiser.

Previous Threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Mecha Space Pirate Quest, Collective Game, mecha
Master Pastebin: pastebin.com/sSHs0QmF
Upgrade Menu: pastebin.com/QQQzkFZe

Last time, you acknowledged girls' feelings and got laid, while becoming aware of an unholy alliance between two pure-hearted young women who want you to be happy. This time, you've got a colony to invade and a cruiser still lurking in the wings.

By the way, I strongly suggest you take a look at the Knuckle Kaiser's stats now.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B6iimHE85EZZWjJCLXRLem1mQ2s/view?usp=drivesdk
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Since were probably going to have a boss battle soon we should come up with our finishing move

Also posting our mixtapes drive.google.com/file/d/0B6iimHE85EZZWjJCLXRLem1mQ2s/view?usp=drivesdk

We hit the other guy really hard. Possibly while shouting.

Love it user

I try.
Also dat free intimidate.

After some field tests, it was decided that the most efficient way to handle the Knuckle Kaiser's new dual-shield configuration without hindering its ability to fight was to mount the large shields on a pair of short dendrites extruding from the shoulders. This way, they can swivel in front of the Kaiser to put a solid wall of metal and nanotubes between incoming fire, yet still swing down over the arms to be of use in parrying melee attacks.

As you watch the final adjustments being made to the Knuckle Kaiser, you review the recorded footage from the S-Betta's sensors. It took some convincing, despite the fact that rationally you knew it was smart to do, before you were willing to let the Corporal take her machine down to the colony and do some scouting this morning. Watching her finny blue-and-white mech flicker and vanish as the advanced camouflage systems kick on still creeps you out a little, no pirate could like the idea of the UJCIDF having mecha the size of the S-Betta that can disappear even from radar, but at least its advanced stealth systems keep her safe.

The holographic screen of your PC shows a clear view of space, lingering on the Rhinehawk and circling a little to catch a glimpse of a familiar mane of orange hair through one of the ship's windows before the view zooms away towards the colony. Long and cylindrical, it slowly turns on its axis to provide the inhabitants inside with artificial gravity. The images you're seeing are recorded from the perspective of the pilot's helmet, letting you see her slim fingers dance across the controls. Samantha momentarily displays a blueprint of Suleiman 1 over the image, her voice echoing from behind her helmet, “S-Betta, going in. This side over here has the military facilities.” She points to one end of the colony, then to the other, “...and this one is mostly dedicated to the legitimate mining operations the colony runs. Suleiman 1 is a joint venture, the mining op is owned by some Martian sheikh named Ahmad who has a bunch of them scattered through the Belt, but this is the only one with Martian and Jovian technicians working together to make mecha for the Solar System League. I'll be taking the mining side first, it should be less heavily guarded.” The view is a little shaky, she seems to be having trouble sitting still without shifting around. The stars wheel and dance as her machine makes its way along the hull, sneaking up on a green-painted Harpy on patrol without it showing the slightest reaction to the much larger mech floating right above it.

A mech bay opens, and another Harpy floats out to relieve the first one. You hold your breath, but the SOUL machine dives through the airlock and into the bay just a scant few meters behind the first Harpy. There are only ten in here, much to your surprise, with a handful of technicians. These aren't locals, from what you can tell, the skull patterns on the backs of their otherwise plain green fatigues give that away.

Hey, Mr. Wong. In celebration for us finally banging the trap, have some OC of dubious quality I made in like twenty minutes

I apologize for nothing

The colony itself is shockingly green, even for someone used to California Station. Thick trees straddle the roads running along the length of the colony, spanning over thirty-five kilometers between the two main building centers at the ends. Mecha airfields (cleared of trees) and large structures like factories and public buildings are built on the ground, but most of the population seems to dwell in pointy-topped huts in the canopy. If it weren't for the hypermodern materials used in their construction, these towns would look almost like something out of a fairy tale. The S-Betta stays low, moving with an unnerving lack of speed, the view through the panoramic cockpit showing small arboreal farms and gardens. All in all, it would be extremely peaceful if it weren't for the columns of smoke rising up here and there above the trees. At first, that is the only sign of the Green Skulls' presence...but before long, Samantha reaches a burned-out village. True, someone has gone to the effort of putting out the fires here, you can still see the traces of hardened foam on the branches and coating the shells of huts, but it doesn't cover nearly enough. Skeletons, burned nearly black where they haven't been reduced to ash entirely, crowd what were once bridges out of the town likely leading to a civilian ornithopter landing pad. These bridges now lie twisted and broken on the ground like a so many dead snakes. Some of the skeletons are very small, and Samantha's camera lingers for several seconds on a dropped ball, miraculously clean of ash and dirt, before she moves on.

[Continued, which I should have been putting after the previous posts]

She runs into the first Shetland shortly after. Shetlands always looked slightly comical to you, with their clear bubble-cockpit heads, bright white paintjobs, rotund bodies, and blocky little limbs, but there's something a little tragic about seeing four of the brave little police and rescue mecha torn to bits and shoved unceremoniously to one side of the road.

It's not like you've never beaten up a Shetland before, even a bog-standard Harpy can bully them with ease, but you generally avoided smashing the cockpits of mecha that are, at best, equipped with a light beam gun of the caliber that Karen was using to test the Bichir Armor for the Knuckle Kaiser. Other than that, they tend to mostly mount nanofiber net guns and firefighting gear. The number of Harpy tracks, too, make it apparent that the little guys were heavily outnumbered.

You try hard to remember whether you've ever heard Samantha sound as angry as she has now, swearing under her breath that she is going to kill these bastards at the earliest opportunity. You honestly don't think you have.

A trio of Harpies in jet mode fly by overhead, the wind from their passage ruffling the leaves on either side of the road as the S-Betta trudges onward. Ahead, the trees are more sparse, larger farms (predominately for growing rice) becoming visible. Samantha points out an airfield where another three Harpies are idling, and starts to move on...then swings abruptly back as a Warmouth trudges into view.

This is a melee model, the sword-like talons the base model possesses replaced by clawed hands that wouldn't look out of place on your Knuckle Kaiser. It has a spiked, kanabo-style bat slung over its shoulder and a medium shield on its other arm, which holds some kind of cannon judging from the extruding banana mag near the elbow. Fortunately, it doesn't seem aware of the S-Betta's presence either.

[Continued]

It's okay, I didn't need sides today.

So, we are almost at max capacity for the knuckle kaiser right now when it comes to upgrades on the kestrel, so we should pick our choices carefully(unless of course Sam's upgrade is crazy good). The sensor range upgrade will likely be the best for the time being since knowing where the enemy is can help us a lot. Hell, the recon sensors could not only help us find tricky foes, but the sensor tapes can be used as a means to make a quick buck and maybe even increase morale when we rip and tear green mask to ribbons.

Did we get an extra harpoon added on from somewhere?

Im still backing the pod idea so we gave room for punch fists

Advanced Sensor Package and Target Analyzer is what we want. Advanced sensors can pick out stealth mechs like Sam's S-Betta. I'm pretty sure the SOUL projects would have more than one stealth mech.

Sensor Range isn't needed as far as I can tell. There isn't a gun out there that can hit us from that far away. Miles' SNIPER cannon has a max range of 4050m. We are better off if we can equip Miles with a sensor range upgrade instead.

I believe that no one forces you to use a trial board.

Once Samantha moves on and the terrain is a little more clear, the S-Betta takes to the air with its jump jets. It doesn't have the speed of the Knuckle Kaiser, which you're beginning to realize is somewhat monstrously overclocked for its size with its thruster array, but it's still able to get high enough to do a spinaround and take in the terrain before landing in a field to avoid raising a dust cloud.

...Which, you realize with a sinking feeling, gives Samantha a perfect view of a pair of Harpies. One is squatting on the road, looking like a stubby jet that decided to rear up and sit nearly on its thrusters from behind. The other is tormenting a grown man trying to run away with a child in his arms. It chases after him, using the curved tip of the axe that sits where a hand would normally be to block off his avenues of escape. Despite the fact that one chop would be enough to finish both of the civilians off, it's playing with them the way a cat would play with a mouse, herding them around, firing its scattershot gun within meters of their feet, stomping near them as if about to crush them. It's a game that can only end one way.

If you weren't Roarke Starwind, and if Samantha gave you time to react, you might be sweating.

[Continued]

Because suptg doesn't archive /qst/ threads.

No. The issue is that the whole harpoon system takes 5 spaces. So yes, you could add the launcher (3 spaces) to the left arm, but there would be no room for another reservoir in the torso.

I see.

Hey you jerk. You didn't add in our new upgrades options for sleeping with Sam and Karen. Also give us a hint to what we get for a night with Oda.

Also I there is space in the head department.

Isn't that our new Kaiser Grin ability though?

Isnt that grin thing new?

The Corporal's machine comes to a halt. It swings towards the block of factories and labs at the military end of the colony, as if trying to save the view for your analysis, then back to the Harpy. Step by step, it approaches, and through the helmetcam you can see the Corporal's fingers tighten on the joysticks controlling her weapon systems. You get a flash from one of the screens, [PACIFICATION HAMMERS ONLINE] before the S-Betta smoothly moves up behind the Harpy, grips the pointed hood of its head armor in its left hand, places the right gently against the back...and drives a pilebunker concealed in the base of its right-arm fin directly through the Harpy's cockpit. For some reason, lightning crackles along the titanium stake and through the Harpy's frame.

She yanks it so that it falls away from the man and child, then turns towards the other Harpy. Through the panoramic screens, you can see the camouflage kicking back on, but this one has time to fire its dual cannon arms at her in a panic. One shot misses, the other sprangs off her torso armor, sending a jolt of multicolored static through the transparent outline of her machine. It isn't enough, the S-Betta pounces on it like a small puma on a housecat, driving the stake through its cockpit again and again until it collapses.

"Roarke, my mission's shot. Think you could be a darling and cover my escape?" She calls out over the comms, running back over to the man and child, popping the cockpit hatch, and lowering the liftwire. He's a big man with a scarred face, wearing a white labcoat and holding a little girl barely old enough to walk.

[What's your plan? She never specified how]

Oh I didn't see the Kaiser Grin. What did we get for Karen then? Pleasantly surprised that we didn't have to buy the upgrade.

You didn't sleep with Karen, you just pushed her down on your cockpit's seat and made out with her until she stopped worrying that she was just your childhood friend. Heavy petting might have been involved, but since you'd only just finished with Sam you didn't seal the deal.

...because Karen's upgrade is an interesting one.

Also Yoritomo is faithful to his waifu, whoever she is. You're too 3D for him.

Blast our music at the base and shit talk the Green Skulls until the come out and fight us

We did buy it user.
With our dick.

Depending on how the airlock is, I say we knock on the door and kick up some noise. If they are staggered, then reinforcements will be slow and easy pickings for both us and Sammy. That way we draw them into kill zones and mop them up. Bring Oda with us. We will need heavy units.

Maybe we should rush the more lightly defended areas like the mines and wipe out the mechs there before they can consolidate their forces. Also bring a bunch of our own guys this time, we shouldnt be the only people getting revenge.

Maybe Karen would have been okay with it if she likes Rocky Road.

>There isn't a gun out there that can hit us from that far away.

"Get back to the Mech bay. Cloak yourself there and wait for them to start funneling out. Once the last harpy is out fire on them from behind. I'll cause enough of a scene that they'll have to send the Harpies out from there."

Charge at the two harpies outside of the mech bay. Then after we kill them start punching at the doors. Keep Rhinehawk and Yamato at a safe distance to respond to the BattleShip returning. Have our harpies ready to launch but not out in the open. We don't want to scare the Green Skulls into bunkering down.

There's a gun that has an accurate range of 600m (7200m max)? That's 50% more range than Miles' sniper. Are we really carrying around such ghetto tech?

>Are we really carrying around such ghetto tech?
Considering 90% of our guys are exactly one step up from civilian mechs? Yes.

But if we have Sam stay in there cloaked she could probably do some damage

First rule of games. If at any time you feel your range of vision is adequet, chances are it's not. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if White boy jesus comes at us from even further away.

The failed scouting mission turned into a rescue mission. I'm not really into sending the boys in there blind. Just trying to salvage the mission by at least wrecking their garrison on our terms instead of theirs.

I never said a word about accuracy, BUT...

As you've probably noticed, you and most space pirates rely heavily on somewhat low-tech solutions to problems. For instance, Miles' sniper cannon is a railgun rather than a particle accelerator, you and Yoritomo dueled with brute strength and melee weapons, etc. For its size, Miles' sniper is an excellent gun, but an even larger gun might have more range even if it isn't explicitly specced for sniping.

Back in ten. Work out your strategy with your friends, this is a war council more than a vote!

Basic strategy would probably be us in the front doing the brunt of the damage while our harpies and any of our other repaired mechs follow behind us to shoot things and keep the green skulls from being able to surround us.

If theres enough asteroids lets have our harpies hide behind them while the rest of us can be the bait

My mindset is too much on Roguelikes. I work out on how to deal with current threats first and then after that's addressed you go to into "predictable" future threats.

Currently we know the UJCIDF boys can pump out an "invisible" stealth mech. Advanced sensor upgrade will pick out clues against such a mech because at the end of the day it's still a robot. Heat signatures will be there especially with contrast to the coldness of space.

We haven't ran into EXTREME sniping obstacles yet. If we do run into a sniper of such calibre then we are still screwed if by the time we cover 7km (14 FULL turns). The mech disappeared and we can't see it anymore.

The punch hands idea could work for that since there would be enough of them that he wouldn't be able to shoot them all down

It does now actually
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html

there is no reason to not get both. The range increase is 5 cp and no spaces used for it. It could also help when it comes to seeing enemy reinforcements from far enough to coordinate our forces. We will have many options to move faster, so those 14 turns can shrink fast. Likewise there may be faster mechs than ours.

We can only have 17 CP left to upgrade until we need to upgrade Rhinehawk's facility for further KK upgrades. It's why we are having the discussion as to which is more important to have right now until we do get a facility upgrade.

My vote is still Advanced Sensor + Target analyzer. Advanced sensor for reasons above. Target analyzer would let us find out what's inside non-stock mechs. That means we have more knowledge to play with when fighting bosses and such. Which servo has the cockpit, does that gun have enough strength to pierce our armour, and does it have a special weapon that could screw us or our teammates over.

One thing about stealth systems is that, like your Harpies' transformation, they cost a fraction of the mech's total cost. Sam has probably mentioned over the course of persuading Roarke to let her enter enemy territory alone that hers has a full bells-and-whistles stealth system to impress the investors. A mass-produced stealth mech, though, wouldn't be nearly as good...and in my estimation if the cloaking system was off the Osano-Wo would wreck the S-Betta in a straight fight because it has to skimp on some things to keep the cost down when its stealth systems nearly double its total pre-stealth cost. In fact, although I initially estimated the S-Betta as being Medium Weight, I had to downgrade it to a Heavy Striker because of the sheer cost of what it can do.

A MP stealth unit would likely not possess such advanced technology and could indeed be detected and tracked with an ASP.

Mech bestiary pastebin when?

You immediately use your PC and your commander's override to access the ship's comms, adding up the number of Harpies you've seen and factoring the one Warmouth in.

“All pilots, prepare for immediate deployment. Stay in standard formation around your respective
vessels in case of a surprise attack or that Bosun's ship reappearing. Yoritomo, get the Osano-Wo, we're launching first and raiding the colony itself. There are twelve Harpies near the entrance, at least two of them already have pilots, let's see how many of the rest we can beat there.” You finish the sentence as you ride the liftwire up to the Knuckle Kaiser's cockpit and strap in. “All crew, clear the airlock if you don't have a suit on, let's move!”

The Iron Kestrels scramble, and after a moment you get a call on the Kaiser's comms. Yoritomo's huge, grinning face shows up on visual, his forehead protector gleaming behind his helmet. Which, unsurprisingly, closely resembles a samurai helm. This is probably what happens when you grow up rich.

“Aniki! We're going together! I never thought to do anything so dramatic, don't worry about the airlocks...I'll handle that. For the sake of your waifu, ganbatte!” You hope 'ganbatte' means something to the effect of 'let's murder Green Skulls', because that's what you plan to do.

As soon as I get my act together and actually stat Bluegill variants instead of doing stupid shit like trying to stat Megas and realizing that with Coop piloting it it's the strongest mech I know of that isn't Demonbane.

Coop's stats, between his godlike Luck and Reflexes and what must be 9+ in every mecha weapon skill, are insane.

Also [Continued]

Megas being able to do literally anything it feels like probably doesnt help either.

Coop would just need to press the "Wreck Demonbane's Shit" button

What about Nineball? Will we see a terrifying clone?

Rolled 9 + 2 (1d10 + 2)

The catapult fires you into space, but before you do you see Karen blow you a kiss. Harpies deploy in clusters behind you as you scan around for the Osano-Wo. Yoritomo's fixed it up and it looks as though he's upgraded it. It's now a more sedate purple-blue trimmed in gold, with a pair of burnished bull's horns and a rather distinctive version of the twin-eyed head shape. The swords look larger, as well. It's moving unusually slowly, but that seems to be because it's dragging something in addition to its usual gatling cannon.

You hit the colony hull like a cannonball in your upgraded machine, almost directly on top of one of the patrolling Harpy that had the bad luck to not scramble back into the colony at the first chance they got. Likely it was relaying what it saw and is requesting orders and/or backup. Its loss. In jet mode it could outrun you, but it would have a harder time dodging, and you're right in its face with your red hands ready to rip it limb from limb.

>[Roll initiative, because why not? 1d10+5]

Rolled 10 + 5 (1d10 + 5)

Lol

well I'll be damned. didn't think I'd roll that good

Demonbane is essentially an Outer God of mecha. Megas is a plain old God of mecha, still ridiculously potent but easier to understand.

And of course because I'm rushing I forgot a picture.

Fucking Nine ball.

Rolled 6, 1, 7, 7 = 21 (4d10)

Give me four d10+13s, lads, lets make this quick and brutal.

By the way, don't get too cozy with always aiming for the head. Against a Harpy, that's a killshot, but against a lot of larger mecha losing the head is really just an inconvenience. I fucked up the Pumpkinseed fight slightly because I didn't realize that losing your main sensors without also losing the rudimentary sensors most UJCIDF mecha have in the torso doesn't do much besides levy an Awareness penalty if you're fighting an opponent in melee. For a sniper, though, losing their head is pretty awful because the range you can aim at with Backup Sensors is pure shit.

This Harpy doesn't have a shield, so all it has are dodge rolls to protect it. +12 to all.

Rolled 10 + 13 (1d10 + 13)

Rolled 7 + 13 (1d10 + 13)

Bless my dice Kek

Rolled 9 + 13 (1d10 + 13)

Oda bless these dice!

Rolled 10 + 13 (1d10 + 13)

Goddamn, looks like I'm here in time to roll all the 1s.

Well then

Welp.. we got the LOVE power upgrade it seems. Double grin and intimidation all around.

...And that's a fumble.

About those. So, Mekton Zeta tricked me. It has two kinds of crits. The usual one (+5 or +10 over an opponent's attempts to evade/block that give you an extra roll to avoid damage), and Critical Successes/Fumbles, which for some reason they put in at the very end of the character generation section instead of the combat section. Basically, if you roll a 10, it explodes, you get to roll again and add the second die to your roll. If THAT is a 10, it rolls again and is added to your total, etc. Fumbles get one and only one supplementary roll, which is subtracted from your total. So for that 1, here's another 1d10.

Rolled 10 (1d10)

We need a song for this fight how about painkiller

Well then. I didn't even need to roll that d10 for the poor Harpy pilot. As I just explained, that 7 adds to the 23 from the first roll for a total of 30 versus 18, beating it by twelve.

Yep. That's the power of love.

Rolled 9 (1d10)

MEGA SUPER DUPER CRIT

Wong, explain fumbles again. Where does it subtract?

All these 10's...The next NERV Bridge simulator is going to suck isn't it?

Roarke takes what he wants. Women, men, men who dress like women, and crits.

Lets make sure we send a video of this to Clemmy she would probably enjoy this

Indeed.

Let's say someone whose normal roll is 1d10+12 rolls a 1. Their total is thirteen. They roll another d10 and subtract it from that result. So let's say they roll a 6 after rolling the 1, their final result would be 7.

I only just found out about this because of the weird place it's at in the book, I'm almost tempted not to use it, but it feels like it would be wrong not to.

We need to make a list of all this shit we've done and send a video to her and jesus. Let the imagery of us bunching his mech's silly head off cross his mind when he thinks range is superior.

Rolled 3 + 13 (1d10 + 13)

Oh okay. Now I understand how butterfingers work. Heres your last roll.

Rolled 4 + 13 (1d10 + 13)

You could have done worse

Rolled 7 (1d10)

You never really thought of punching in the Knuckle Kaiser as difficult. Sure, you only had your right arm instead of both, but it still had responsive controls for a machine of its weight. Now, though...you realize that before it was like swinging your arm around underwater, and this is like swinging it with a weighted gauntlet on your actual fists. Your left hand pulverizes the head and before YOU even realize you've ended the fight you've drubbed the small mech with a series of blows that literally reduce every last one of its servos to scrap. Hydraulic fluid sprays across the scarlet fists that methodically reduce it to pulp. Your visor briefly opens, then closes almost instantly.

Meanwhile, Oda has landed. He's holding a microfiber net fitted with four button-activated boarding drills, which he sets to screw into the colony hull. The net is holding something that looks suspiciously like a Harpy's microfusion reactor. Correction, at least five of them.

“Yoritomo, is that-”

He cuts you off, “Get distance, aniki! We're going in!” He jets back nearly half a kilometer, swinging his gatling cannon down over his shoulder and firing a barrage of 120mm shells. You run. Your thrusters ignite and carry you away at full speed, but your proximity alarm still howls at you as the explosion makes the hull shake.

The airlock is now a hole. Fortunately, science dictates it would take a good deal of time for the colony to depressurize even if mecha bays didn't have failsafes for exactly this kind of thing.

>[Roll Mecha Piloting, 1d10+13, and ignore my d10]

Crit sucess here we come

Rolled 8 + 13 (1d10 + 13)

I'd say you should use whatever ruleset you prefer especially given the capricious nature of Veeky Forums dice. It's well within your prerogative as QM to simply say "I'm not using this particular rule because I don't like it" or "it wouldn't work in this format" as long as you inform the players ahead of time.

Yeah I think I like the 1d10 only dice for this quest. I played with stacking dices before. However when crits and megacrits needing only +5 to oppose. I'm pretty sure we can end every fight too early with the stacking 1d10s.

>especially given the capricious nature of Veeky Forums dice
You got that right.

What song should we blast during this invasion? Im feeling either Painkiller or Roundabout

Bits of Harpy come whipping past you, but you're able to flatten yourself down against the wall of what was previously the airlock and crawl your way inside without taking damage, stopping to help Yoritomo over the rim before automatic countermeasures deploy.

What look like balls of stringy, white gum deploy from ports along the walls, drawn towards the hole expanding as they go and popping to seal the breach with quick-drying epoxy-like stuff. You hadn't quite counted on them being so advanced, you can always call your ship (whose cannons could easily make a breach) or your subordinates (who could do it more safely) when you need to get out...but for now, it's you and the Osano-Wo against whatever is coming your way.

Which is perfectly fine with you.

[Continued]

Meant Breaking the Law instead of Painkiller

I'm leaning this way for now. Maybe later I'll consider using the critical successes and fumbles, but for now they make things too complicated.

never managed to beat these fuckers or get them in DWG 2. Always ran out of time or got slapped around.

Breaking the Law is Roarke's default battle music, I think.

So yes, let's blast it now, and I have a good idea of which particular upcoming boss you'll play Roundabout against.

The boss is gonna be Dio isnt it

A group of Green Men accidentally released by a Jovian military research team?

It's going to be Super Mutants in Space isn't it? Welp, time to get the Space Gauss Rifle.
Anyone else not like FO4's redesign of the Gauss rifle?

If we meet our dio or pillarmen counterpart I insist we run across our speed wagon. Even though Yoritomo somewhat fits the bill on reflection.

So that makes Ozark our Zeppeli, and Karen is Suzie Q?

Sam is our Erine and Karen works pretty well as Suzie Q, but who are Clemmy and Red Siren

An initially-threatening enemy who takes our side after being moved by our actions, and provides colorful commentary and, later on, support from inexplicably endless resources? Wonder who that could be?

I'd say Ozark is George, but it really depends where in the series we are.