Warhammer Fantasy Battles General WHFB

Been playing for thirty years still don't own a painted army edition.

Remember to ignore or report shitposters and off-topic discussion.

Previous thread: →

>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times (Compilation of all the End Times changes)
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy (All pages marked WF on the Veeky Forums wiki)

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki (Warhammer Online wiki with lots of background articles too. Also AoR is not ded: Veeky Forums for details.)

>Resources(Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
www.pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

>Third party Miniature manufactures
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv9V7bFvCi8
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_9th_Age
the-ninth-age.com/blog/index.php?entry/456-fantasy-battles-the-9th-age-rulebook-a-raffview/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How do Putrid Blightkings, Skullreapers and Wrathmongers compare in size to Ogres and Chaos Warriors?

9th Edition is officially released. I want to play Bretonnians/Kingdom of Equitaine...What models?

Hey, im looking to get into this game as a VC player, mostly as a hobby project. What should I get, aside from MOAR ZAMBIES?

The first question is which bloodline do you want to play as?

None. all the alternative models are either great and look nothing like brettonians (Perry) or look like shit (Fireforge)

oh, so it's okay then. i was a bit worried that I ain't got a single painted unit in my 3-year WHFB career

afaik, they are quite a bit larger than WoC, but smaller than Ogres (girth-wise at least). sorta Stormcast sized, i believe

So, /whfb/ what are you currently working on?

oh, so you're working on making a living on GW's shill salary. good luck then, you'll need it. doubt they pay shills well.

I would just get what seems like the most fun.

I'm planning on making some Mordheim ruins out of the old busted up cardboard buildings I have lying around. I'm gonna replace the paper walls with plasticard and keep the plastic frames. Following that I'm gonna buy Frostgrave plastic soldiers that will be modeled into Mordheim Marienburgers, Middenheims and Reiklanders. Then after that is done I'm gonna be painting 6'th edition metal Empire wizards and flagellants.

I have also been out of the loop for a while. What's the deal with the 9'th Age and how is it different from the Warhammer rules?

I also wish that GW still sold the old chapel and tower buildings.

Oh shit, they discontinued it? dicks...

hurr durr he buys more model than me he should be working at GW durr hurr

They did that a few years ago. Now the only things you can get from the old Warhammer Fantasy terrain is the trees, the Arcane Ruins and the Garden of Morr. Everything else is Age of Sigmar terrain which doesn't exactly looks like it fits in with the Old World a whole lot.

Skellingtons, lots of skellingtons

see, ain't got no proof those are BOUGHT. the only image of that new AoS stuff assembled in masse is from GW store, where it might as well be demonstration pieces.

wish they really released a hugeass skull with roof
i'd totally buy it

fits with Storm of Magic terrain, but SoM were two for less than one of the new ones, so GW can bugger off

still, I'll totally grab Dragonfate Dais on ebays if i ever see one for cheaps

The new not-Orcs looks terrible.

How strong do the Grail Knights get after drinking from the Grail? I've been imagining the Grail juice doing pretty much the same thing as the captain America super soldier serum, giving them similar stats and amplifying their greatest traits.

Would Grail Knights being on captain America power levels be too OP, or does it fit fluff wise?

as I understand, S4 T4 is pretty much Captain America levels, so yeah. (seeing as brutally ripped marauders are S3)

Cap isn't honestly that strong. He's "peak human". Like if you took every Olypmic Gold Medalist and gave him their powers.

Back in the day, his strength was capped at benching 800 LBs, which is funny now, since people have cracked that.

tl;dr, Cap is the pinnacle of human athleticism in all areas, but he is not *super* human.

seeing what world's strongest men can do, he could still armwrestle an ogre down without breaking a sweat

That makes no sense. Ogres are not human and are vastly stronger than humans. A peak human shouldn't be able to wrestle ogres down without breaking a sweat.

Mind you, power levels in Warham fluctuate and have almost no base normality to compare to.

MCU cap is definitely above peak human levels, if just barely. m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv9V7bFvCi8
But if a Grail knight can do everything cap can do, with the addition of a magic ward save and possible special abilities, that is definitely impressive.

aside from throwing a bike and surviving train crash through a wall I don't see anything really super-human. and even then I'm not sure, i can totally image top strongmen hurling a bike, especially if they put all of their body strength into it

i mean, c'mon, there was this world's strongest man competition on TV a few weeks back. few things cap does (apart from agility feats) beat that

Don't forget that his shield is made out of vibranium which absorbs like 80% of the impact from stuff.

Man, the fights in Winter Soldier were so much fucking better than any of the Avenger movies.

maybe, but that spinning punch in last fight vs Ultron beats all
especially when you see behind-scenes, where he does it IRL
(sadly, ain't got a gif of that)

converting a fancy snazzy jezzail for my Warlock Engineer
i call it Engezzail

Making an ogre force for 9th age, going for a tribe thats been spending time in the border princes and has now been hired by Averland to defend blackfire pass/do oddjobs. Gonna have the my maneaters themed as pavise crossbowmen, with a bunch of spare perry pavise's that I have strapped to their arms and legs.

I'm wanting to take some sabertusks and I'm trying to think up thematic alternatives to them that would work, anyone got any ideas? big warhounds or something?

Hey josh.

Threadly Reminder

So is the 9'th Age similar to 8'th edition?

Google "Unsupported Armies". Its a blog so we can't link it though.

Well, I was thinking lots and lots of calvary, with blocks of undead to back them up. So I guess Blood dragons? So, lots of black knights, and maybe a unit of Hex wraiths or blood knight.

I like the idea of just huge amounts of cheap knights crashing into the enemy, again and again, along with some ass kicking Vampires leading the way.

Gotcha, so far I have about 40 Skeles in total, since I prefer painting them more than Zombos. But im always on the look out for more

>Incomplete list
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_9th_Age

>Basic overview
the-ninth-age.com/blog/index.php?entry/456-fantasy-battles-the-9th-age-rulebook-a-raffview/

Also the fact that universal entities which are anthropormphic manifestations of things like death, eternity, chaos, Stan Lee/Jack Kirby, and so on tend to give blessings and aid to people of virtue and Cap has lifted Mjolnir more than once.

Sabretusks exist in the Empire as exotic pets, so you can get away with it.

So these are staying a thing?

Because I like that.

Just received my Z-cast Tomb Kings models (Stalkers, Necrotect).

Time to see the quality

Go on

Remember not to breath the dust

Dat sweet sweet Xiao powder just livens up the day.

I just pieced through it and it seems there was a small mix up. The Tomb Stalkers are shipped in two bags (one snake bodies w lower jaw, the riders and heads in another). I've got a lot of snake bodies with no heads now. They look great though.

>it occurs to me that we could make an Endhammer mod for Total War: Warhammer
>remember that GW has taken a stance against modding of GW games

The End Times is all around shit and so is Endhammer.

you're shit

Endhammer will always be shit because its trying to take absolute shit and make it less shitty.

It can get better, but will never be good due to subject matter.
Everything on PC can be modded. Just not mod-supported.

Here is your (You).

The only way to not make Endhammer shit would be to rewrite the End Times from scratch.

why don't we just do that?

in synopsis, i mean, not write several books

*sigh*
is it so hard to just IGNORE END TIMES OUTRIGHT? shouldn't be, 'cos that's exactly what I do. who needs Endhammer when there's no End Times?

Because all of the Elf players want Khaine to have never happened at all, and people who organize these alternate versions want to salvage it and the community breaks down.

Because I bought a Nagash and Mortarch kit.

I admit I bought it because my FLGS put all Games Workshop stuff at 50% off because Age of Sigmar didn't sell, but I can't use either in 9th Age and really want to.

We can leave Nagash in tho

so? make up headcanon that justifies Nagash returning. and powerful undead lords don't need excuses to ride powerful undead monsters whatsoever.

I do ignore the End Times as canon. I just decided that the ending to Storm of Chaos was a better story and that the End Times was stopped by Grimgor.

It is however hard to ignore when GW stopps manufacturing specific minis and have round bases in everything.

Well, as a new comer, Heres my thoughts on EndHammer.

It seems to me that theres really no point to it, since its basically just the same as the normal WHFB world but a little more factionalized? One thing I noticed was that there was practically no character deaths, which I thought was kinda pointless, since why write a continuation if nobody dies? Infact, it seems like more people comeback rather than die.

Another thing that bugs me is how nobody dares think of new characters for any of the factions. I guess its just a side effect from people not killing off old characters? Either way, its just the same old WHFB world, but nowhere near as interesting

Why are you guys so obsessed with the ending of the setting? I thought you guys liked playing in a sandbox setting.

What hypocrites.

Cap consistently pulls off what the top strongmen strain to do, without fatigue, and on top of all the agility and speed feats. He's sending guys flying a few feet with his hits, and mowing through multiple enemies without getting tired. His raw strength isn't that impressive on its own, but combined with the full package, he's superhuman. Peak human, as in the greatest an Unmodified human could get through training, is better represented by characters like daredevil.

So to bring it back to warhammer terms, your normal mortal human elites and champions like reiksgard, questing Knights and empire generals are probably close to daredevil in powerlevels. To get to captain America levels you need to drink from the Grail or get divine blessing ala chaos warriors or the living ushabti

"Nagash came back. Luthor Huss, Aliathra, and the Fey Enchantress have been captured and the forces of their races, plus the Dwarfs who seek to avenge the Grudges of the undead, are rushing to save them from certain doom as sacrifices empowering Nagash. The Tomb Kings are uniting for or against Nagash as Settra calls them to war, and the loyalties of the Vampires are now being decided as Nagash calls his former servants to him. Who among them will answer the call? Rumor has it that Vlad and Isabella have even returned, as witnesses in Sylvania claim a coach bearing their emblem travels the roads to every noble manor. The Dark Elves march with mercenary Chaos Dwarfs to take advantage of the situation and eliminate the best of their enemies in one fell swoop, and Archaon comes to slay the ancient kings Settra and Finubar to fulfill the prophesy of the End Times and reveal the location of Sigmar. The Skaven of course would never pass up the opportunities to catch their foes at moments of weakness and secure the plunder of all the world in one swoop.

The Greenskins just kind of showed up."

There's your End Times.

Then afterwards we get business as usual, except Nagash and best von Carsteins return.

Because small gems in End Times were good, even if most of it was appalling.

But we can't agree on how much to keep and still get the good stuff.

Nagash was always slated to make a comeback in the old fluff. Prior to the 8'th edition retcon he had already resurrected himself roughly 1000 years before the contemporary timeline. He was using Mannfred and other servants to weaken the Empire so that he could get the Crown of Sorcery back. Kinda like how Sauron in the LOTR didn't stomp out of his fortress to pick a fight with everyone and go look for the Ring in person.

Any fluff that would suggest anything else prior to the 8'th edition would probably be Black Library fucking up the fluff like they always do whenever they write about major characters.

GW made up new characters all the time until after the Storm of Chaos campaign. Then they went full status quo and couldn't figure out why people lost interest in their setting.

Valten is a good example of that. He was a new character coming out of nothing.

>Google Valten
>a surprising of fanart about him

Was he that popular?

They made plenty of new characters after that. Just all Chaos.

Now there's Gordrakk too. Super Sayian pig Orc Grimgor.

The vampire bloodlines didn't even exist until they created the Vampire Counts army. That spawned all kinds of new undead characters and new fluff that wasn't there before. Before Vampire Counts was a thing all vampires were basically von Carstein.

They also made a bunch of Tomb Kings special characters that never got minis.

And Beastmen, but who gives a shit about Beastmen?

Anyone want to help me tear apart my high elves list? I wanted to try out the Phoenix guard since 9/10 times I just default to the lions also 30 spearmen seem pretty weak sauce I might drop them for some silverhelms. My opponent is going to be my brother's slayer heavy dwarves
1497/1500
Lord 305 pts
Archmage [Lore of Life, Wizard Level 4] Talisman of Preservation
-Heroes 294pts -
Mage [High Magic, Wizard Level 1] Folariath's Robe
Noble Battle Standard Bearer, Dragon Armour, Great Weapon, Guardian Phoenix
-Core 390pts-
Archers 10x Musician
Spearmen 30x Musician
-Special (408pts)-
Phoenix Guard 23x (Musician, Standard with Razor Standard
-Rare 100pts-
Great Eagle x2

>Gordrakk

Dude is cool.

I rather like the idea of Beastmen. Their core units are very good looking. GW just kinda fucked them over with some of the plastic centerpiece minis.

I like the face, but fucking hate that armor.

Real Orcs wear loincloths or nothing.

It's ok user, Beasties were my first army. I'm just bitter about the rough deal they got with the loss of units in 7th, the shitty replacements they got, and the cool characters who never got minis.

Hey, I recognise that Giant/Orc (Ornt?). My little brother had a load of knights and shit from the same range. Wouldn't have thought the softer plastic would have coped well with painting.

The Savage orruks are said to be the only Greenskinz to never truly submit to Ironjawz authority.

Except a battletome for them in the future..

As a Vampire Counts player I was pretty salty that they removed the thematic bloodlines, focused all the special characters on von Carstein and that they ditched the classic movie Dracula look entirely. So after 7'h editon made my favourite army more boring I had a falling out with the game and 8'th edition didn't do much to make VC less generic.

Thank God that I bought the Mordheim vampires back in the day.

Given the two designs right now are Space Marine and completely ridiculous overdesigned noise, I have no hope.

I just want green cavemen.

How do you overdesgin naked greenskins?

9th brought back Bloodlines, but it cost customization of individuals.

That's true. Then again I played Blood Dragons and ignored them all.

The same way they overdesigned half-naked Khornates.

Armor that looks like a joke, and weapons that look as plausible and finely crafted as swordchucks.

Also, Tomb Kings double as Cathay.

Yup, they turned the vampires into video game schlock characters. They just became guys in thick armour with oversized swords. They also made everything look way too Blanche for some retarded reason. I never liked his undead designs.

>mfw I will never have enough money to build my own all-metal age of agyptus construct TKs.

I found the first WD I ever bought as a kid in the loft today, its amazing how much this magazine used to get your creativity going. And there is just so much great content in there.

Gamezone has brets, pricy though

I know, right? I think I bought my first WD back in 97 or 98 and all the hobby content in it blew my mind.

How are von Cerstein related to lightining?

they can call storms to shield themselves and their troops from the sun. they had some storm-related powers in 6th, iirc
it's little stretch from being able to call storm to being able to control it a bit, calling lightning down on enemies

I always thought they were using normal shadow magic to shield themselves from sun
But I remember that in some edition of WHFRP some vampires could control weather,so i believe this is why.

Still,not the power I would give them

Fluff and game stuff too, there are a good 15 pages of background/stories plus two alternate army lists and rules for several different characters.

Shouldn't have looked at the prices in the catalogue section though.

9th guys a bit overreached when trying to make bloodlines unique from each other. that's why we got not!TK lahmians and stormcalling Carsteins. but that's not too aggravating, imho. gotta compensate for bloodlineless 7th and 8th

after all, Dracula did control weather and Carsteins are supposed to be all draculas, so that's fitting

>The bed is a single

The Warhammer fluff was my introduction into a world of fantasy tropes and characters that I at the time didn't realise was massive ripoffs of other IP's. Everything was so new and fresh to me that I rapidly learnt to read fluid english in just a couple of years. So it's hard for me to not be nostalgic about WHFB and also a bit sad whenever I remember that it will never come back.

Alright Veeky Forums, I need some help.

Ages ago I saw some scenic movement trays on ebay. The edges were sculpted so it looked like a swarm of rats. The examples were painted grey with brown rats. I never bought any because I was a poorfag, but now I want to get my hands on some. Can't find them anywhere though, and can't remember what company made them. Can anyone help?

>I've got a lot of snake bodies
Time to convert some new construct boy

Litterally comes up as first result googling "vermin movement trays" at base-x-of-war

but
>We can not take on any orders at the moment, all orders will be cancelled if you place an order with us dispite this message.
>Thank you

You should look if recasters have them, I've seen some recasted bases at times.

It's up to us to keep it alive, now. Let your nostalgia drive your support of its continued existence beyond death.

I've seen games die before their time, to spark and fizzle, and sink out of relevance. WHFB doesn't seem to be doing that at all. The threads still live, the fanbase still keeps it alive, they're writing their own armybooks and sticking with the best editions, moving to new rulesets entirely and finding third-parties to produce the miniatures no longer available.

It's out of GW's hands now, and is unlikely to return in a form we know it as. But now it's in your hands, and becomes what you make of it.