Who was in the wrong here, Veeky Forums?

Who was in the wrong here, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DnPLjA3vEG8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Both

Nobody. That's just how GRIM DARKNESS works.

Ravens are borderline heretics and deserve every ounce of suspicion and mistrust they're given

>Davian Thule's end to the dialogue gave me shivers

I miss his VA.

If DoW3 ever get DC/Soulstorm style expansion with more races. Will they up it with 4 or more imperial factions fighting each other over some planet?

Don't the Guard usually report to a Space Marine chapter occupying a planet? Or at least the Marines would be aware of their actions. I don't even see why Segmentum Command would think its a good idea to attack Space Marines. In vanilla DOW and Winter Assault the Guard made more sense in the campaigns. Guess that's why the cookie cutter campaigns in later expansions sucked. That being sad I'm glad Relic was able to turn it into some cool pieces of lore for DOW2.

Davian had a hard life.

Captain Thule. Space Marines are autonomous army but even they should respect decisions of segmentum authorities.

I really wish they didn't turn Thule into a Dreadnought.

>mfw Sturnn comes back in a DoW3 xpack.

The better banter was when IG attacked SM, so I'll say Lukas was right.
youtube.com/watch?v=DnPLjA3vEG8

Neither of them, they where both following orders from their superiors, and to disobey them would mean death. They both did their duties and performed even tried to convince the other surrender, something a lesser man wouldn't have done.

>Don't the Guard usually report to a Space Marine chapter?

Yes and No.

The guard does not directly answer to Space Marines. They haven't done so since the Horus Heresy.

HOWEVER, Marines do tend to out-rank Imperial Guardsmen, which will frequently lead to Space Marines commanding Imperial forces.

This is roughly equivalent to, in a modern army, if Colonel from the Marines started giving orders, the Captain of the Army would likely listen, despite the colonel not being directly in his chain of command.

However, in this specific case, as noted, the Guardsmen has direct orders from his superiors who outrank the Space Marines.

>HOWEVER, Marines do tend to out-rank Imperial Guardsmen, which will frequently lead to Space Marines commanding Imperial forces.
And even if they wouldnt, no high ranking field IG in their right mind would order a SM around, would they?

Space marines operate outside of the command structure of the Imperium.

Technically speaking, no one can order them around. Not even inquisitors. A savvy commander would probably avoid conflict with them and pull out if the marines made good on their purge. They can always return to occupy the planet after the space marines finish what they were doing. Leave the investigation to the branches of the imperium dedicated to it, instead of starting an unnecessary fight.

Considering who Thule's orders came from, he would be in the wrong. But both were just doing what their superiors told them to do, so neither can be faulted for that.

> But both were just doing what their superiors told them to do, so neither can be faulted for that

Oh, Im sure the germans would like to have a chat with you!

Who was giving Thule the order? I dont remember anymore.

What was worse for the Blood Ravens Kronus for sending a bunch of marines down the path of Chaos or Karuva for the sheer numbers they lost?

his chapter master

Came directly from the Chapter Master.

Blood Ravens were overstepping their authority, but a smart governor could have throw their support behind them and give Captain Thule overall command of imperial forces. Avoiding the conflict and winning himself a powerful ally at the cost of lesser glory.

Everybody. That's just how GRIM DARKNESS works.

Kaurava. Boreale and his marines were likely the loyal elements of the chapter sent to die before they became a problem for Kyras.

The Chapter Master/Chief Librarian

But why would he be in the wrong the-
Oh fuck, yeah right, this guy.

Guard.

Ravens were Kyras puppets.

>Boreale and his marines were likely the loyal elements of the chapter
What a terrifying thought

>Boreale will never steel rain the heretics and save the chapter from Chaos

>I am quite comfortable in a chapel of the emperor, but perhaps you are not

He knew it all along

The thing I regret the most about Soulstorm is how the campaign didn't have this banter.

the ancient should have been boreale

its was pure shit
the idea with the planets was nice, but you had no planet/sector like those in DC walking in that TITAN canon with my necrons made me shit bricks, luckily I was playing Necrons and no aggressive AI that actually tried to take planets back once you got one, not even on highest difficulty

>Play as Dark Eldar
>Assault Eldar
>Expect atleast some banter
>Literally nothing

Soulstorm was an improvement but also a massive step back.

>the space marines are the emperors own chosen sons.
>to disobey them is both death and damnation eternal.

They can, many don't since the combat doctrine and roles are vastly different.

Yarrick is leading the charge with black templars against Ghazkull for example

As clarified my point: Marines aren't in the standard chain of command, answering only to their captains and chapter masters, or people they CHOOSE to allow command.

So I should clarify that technically Space Marines don't "command" Imperial guard forces, they just "advise".

Sometimes that advice takes the form of "My 6 ships stronger than anything you have and my 400 super-soldiers are going to do X, and if you don't, I will find a way to ruin your goddamn life."

And they can. As noted, they don't even answer to the Inquisition.

But they are also known to honor and respect individual commanders, and Marines are willing to accept similar 'advice' from honored allies.

>chaos space marine tells you to become a heretic
>do so because they're the emperor's own chosen sons and therefore can't be wrong, right?

You're an idiot if you think space marines are thought of incorruptable in the eyes of the Imperium.

Always fun when a Marine comes to respect a guradsman as a valiant warrior of the emperor as they carve through hordes of xenos scum.

What a twist it would have been.

Thought that most imperial citizens even whole guard regiments didn't even know chaos was a thing?

>tarkus/avitus/thaddeus/jonah/FC left out so you can decide which traitor you liked best
>cyrus in because he's butthurt about BALD and FOOLISH boreale
it would have been perfect

It depends on what you consider canon. Sometimes he Inquisition purges a world for minor demonic incursions, while sometimes the Imperial Cult openly preaches about how the Emperor's favorite son turned to Chaos and betrayed him.

it's scott mcneil.

ironically, he's still in dow3 but not as thule.

relic have this strange habit of reusing old VA but not putting them back in their old role

Felt a bit out of place, not that she was a woman, that was actually done right, but that she was the only woman there.

Could be that they're open about Horus betraying the Emperor but don't say anything about Chaos in there.
Just, you know, he turned traitor and got killed - that's a nice, wholesome story, that.

I think they make chaos out to be a way of doing things rather then an actually group that can be joined

Boreale's only fault was to be in an unsuccessful game. He was too pure for this galaxy.

>And they can. As noted, they don't even answer to the Inquisition.

Come on man, how new are you to 40k? Everyone but the Emprah himselfs answers to the Emperor, because they are his direct agents. Of course inquisitors are generally careful around space marines, but they can declare them traitors and have to them hunted down and killed.

As for the OP, like other people explained, they have separate chains of command. But neither space marine nor Guard would open fire on each other unless there was (suspected) treason. If the Guard's order was: 'conquer the Kronos system and rule it', they would have just co-operated with each other. Lore-wise, even in 40k, space marines and guard killing each for no apperent reason is rubbish. Same with the SoB fighting Guard and space marines Although they might hate space marines, because they mutants in their eyes, they are still loyal Imperial forces and they are not getting into a fight for no apperent reason. Shit like that would either side fucked over by the Inquisition.

>Of course inquisitors are generally careful around space marines, but they can declare them traitors and have to them hunted down and killed.
They CAN, but it takes some serious evidence to do anything. Because light accusations end up with dead inquisitors and the space marines (alongside fellow inquisitors) not giving a single solitary fuck. A chapter refusing an inquisitor's demands isn't an immediate HERESSYYYY marker.

And that still doesn't mean they can do anything more than request a chapter's assistance. The marines don't take those requests lightly, but they're perfectly within their rights to do what they see as best (which could mean ignoring the request completely), rather than meekly comply.

>borealum
What could have been.

Inquisitors can make proclamations against Space Marines, but they can't command them. The Death Watch exists partly for that reason.

Space Marines don't have to answer to the Inquisition. It's up to the Inquisitor whether they're going to get pissy about that or not.

The gaurdsmen.

They wanted to bring the planet back to the control of the imperium. Perhaps create a civilization for imperial citizens, no xenos or poor people allowed

Blood ravens are all like...
"Hay guys let's kill everything in this planet to protect our secrets"
"Of course brother captain, but what are these secrets of which you speak of?"
"... It's a secret.."