MTG Demons

Demons are the tribe that got left behind in MTG.
they usually have awful mechanics for a high casting cost, and little-to-no support.
thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=cmc=2 pow=2 tou=2 c!w o:"first strike" r=common&v=card&s=cname
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think it's wrong to think of them as a tribe, they are like black dragons,same as how sphinxes are for blue , or angels for white.

Or beasts for green.
Or elementals for green.
Or wurms for green.
Or hydras for green.
I know every color gets elementals, but green's are normally bigger, and I wanted another creature type.

what I meant by tribe was race, sorry I got confuzzled.

the point I was trying to make was that it's hard to use a demon theme in a scrubby kitchen-table tier deck, much less outside that unless you can pop 5 black mana on turn three consistently. even if you can get the ridiculous mana it'd need, they're abilities are often lackluster for the cost.

I love the cards and I collect them for the dank art. especially innistrad and theros demons.

I like desecration demon flavorwise, and it saw play in theros standard when monoblack devotion became a deck. Also, griselbrand still sees play in older formats. But yes, demons suck in general.

mindwrack demon is a good card howeverrrrrr

It's officially hydras now.

Rune-Scarred Demon is a sweet piece of top end for a kitchen table deck with black.
That 5/4 demon that makes you lose a life and draw a card on upkeep is also awesome. Bloodgift Demon or something.

That's kinda silly logic. Outside of three creature types that have way too many lords. Nearly all other creatures have only a select few that are considered staples or very playable among formats (outside of edh)
>angels has some of the most but only in edh and 3 or so in modern
>wurms have none
>sphinx has 1
>humans have 2 in modern and a few more in edh and legacy but there are a ridiculous amount of humans
>turtles are by and large shittier
>there is one playable lhurgoyf
>there are no playable zombies
>very few elementals
>no samurai
>no spider
>one giant
>no hydra
>one wall
Etc
The majority of all magic cards are fucking garbage. It isn't just this creature type.

>no playable zombies
Doubt

What the fuck is your criteria?
You're waffling back and forth between constructed playable, lords, and both.

*Target player* loses one and draws one. This is important. You got the name right.

>What the fuck is your criteria?
How many of these creature types appear in modern and legacy top 8 decks.
>You're waffling back and forth between constructed playable, lords, and both.
Not really. I pointed out there's three playable tribes as top 8 decks because they have a lot of lords (merfolks, goblin and elfball) but other creature types and "tribes" are nearly all unplayable except for maybe 1-3 cards and if you focus only on that creature type your deck will be bad

>top 8 decks
What shitty criteria.

Kalitas makes zombies, and Fatesticher is played in Ascendancy

I play shadowborn apostles in EDH and the advantage I can secure by playing demons with nastier control effects is pretty choice. That said, I cheat around their cost by using apostles and the abundance of tutor effects in black to get a thrumming stone. "B: Search your library for a demon and put it onto the battlefield" is a very strong effect.

>a card is unplayable if it doesn't top 8 Modern or Legacy

Memeternal players ladies and gentlemen

They're fun in suicide black EDH decks

Wall of Omens and Wall of Roots are totally playable in modern.

They are afflicted by flavor more than most creature types, but they are not by far the worst.
Think about it. They don't want to give you shit, And they will take from you everything.
That's pretty demony.
Crabs should be a thing
Im still building a homarid edh
Holding on to bushwag and rigers for when they get their time.
I hate how Rhinos and elephants got anthropomorphic all of the sudden back in, 2010?

Demons should be more interactive with other creatures, alluring them to do stupid stuff.
Maybe have a demon come in to give a creature you don't control 5, +1/+1 counters but when it dies whomever is controlling the demon draws equal to the creatures power.

I actually play hellcarver in my bw edh. Great with that white enchantment 4ww, whenever your stuff dies everyone sacs their stuff too. Can't think of the name

I'm guessing what the guy did is he went to the site that lets you look at pretty much every top-8 deck for the last two years and looked.

If he did, that place counts pretty much any tournament that has more than 12 people and posted a report or decklists online, so normally goofy meme decks make it on there too.

The closest I've come to demon tribal is running a bunch in Kaalia EDH (and Old Rakdos edh a longass time ago), but as far as demons in a 60-card tribal deck goes, the fact that the lowest their curve goes is 4 and that nearly all the playable ones have an at least moderately painful drawback makes them less appealing than, say, bears, as bears can jam a ton of early game cards and then follow up with lategame options.

I think the hard beaters are outdated considering the top of the curve of most decks is 4,5,6.
You can't play a grinning demon because a 6/6 just isn't doing enough at 4mana.and the drawback actually kills you.

>wurms have none
Worldspine Wurm sees play in modern.
>there are no playable zombies
I don't even know how to reply to this. There's even a deck with "Zombie" in its name in Legacy and yes it does refer to creatures with the creature type.
>one wall
Are you fucking kidding? Tinder Wall, Overgrown Battlement, Wall of Blossoms, Wall of Roots, Wall of Omens, Wall of Denial, Wall of Reverence, Mnemonic Wall.

Wall of omens is but wall of roots isn't, it died with pod. Unless it's played in coco now?
Except that's a perfectly acceptable way to look at it. Those formats test cards aggressively for all things, from effect and value to cost to play. EDH is a bad measuring stick because edh is a big clunky format and limited is fucking stupid because wizards dumbed that shit down. Standard isn't a consistent measuring stick so it's out. Name a better way to consider cards playability aside from that than
Actually I forgot zombie fish. Fatestitcher is playable (albeit marginally because ascendancy is hot garbage) if you can consider a better way to look at how playable cards are that isn't top 8 than I'm all ears

Don't forget awesome walls like Wall of Resurgence.

Wrote that while very drunk last night so I missed a lot of cards, there's also wurmcoil engine for example as a warm
My point was that the majority of magic cards are trash and, by extension, the majority of creatures in any "tribe" or creature type is also trash. It isn't just demons. My examples are fucking trash though because, again, very drunk

And jaddi offshoot

plant

Talking about plants.

Well, THAT is certainly a very valid point. Hell the majority of Elves, Goblins and Merfolk are fucking trash, the cheap ones that are ok just get a lot better when you add lords to the mix.

Well 4 mana for a 0/13 defender is kinda awesome. Too bad it doesn't have reach.

Wall of Roots is still played in some CoCo decks.

Top8 might be the best easy metric but it's very far from a good metric still. If you made Punishing Fire legal in Modern, every Elf would disappear from the format in an instant. They only really appeared in the format after the printing of CoCo in the first place. Cards in tribal and other synergistic decks are super sensitive to meta changes and other cards being printed.

>Zombies
Zombie Bombardment. Zombies are playable and the deck even has some tribal elements.

Eh. I have a feeling Fiery Temper by itself makes that card not playable in standard. In other formats it has no chance whatsoever.

What if you're not supposed to make a tribal deck?

>a Magic card is only playable if it's in a top 8 Memedern deck

There is this one enchantment that makes all lands you control indestructible for 1G. I plan to use that, Sylvan advocate and pic related to make land animation a thing in modern.

I really wish they'd make a set with Demons, Devils, and Imps all providing Tribal support for each other.

I desperately wanted to make a jank deck with the devil token spawners from SOI, but nothing seems to work well cause they're so fucking expensive for some reason.

It seems like you'd be better off doing a one sided Armageddon.

I've run a fairly successful demon toolbox with Blood Speaker in EDH before. It produces insane value in long, grindy games, or even good mid game if you have enough artifact mana sources. If you can get it online, it wipes, tutors, controls generals, destroys lands, or locks players out. Not competitive, but fun.

Forgot pic

Big old demons at sick with Thousand Year Elixer

Post your favorite demon.

Perfectly designed card. Overwhelming power, with a fatal catch.

>Rape and Pillage, Terrorize and Destroy
Absolutely adore this big bastard in EDH.

Wurmcoil is a wurm

Will green ever get flyers? If the other colors are expanding their pies to Planar Chaos territory, why not green?
And when are they going to print another counterspell in white?

>thoughts?

You're just wrong, in everything.
Demons are playable, have support and decent casting cost considering that black is probably the easiest mana source to replicate and also it's the best color pie for reanimation.

You just don't see them around Modern too much, because you often end up picking Griselbrand or Emmy for reanimating stuff, they are ever present in mono-black EDH.

Pretty much just bugs. Faeries are bugs.

Green has flyers.
sorta

There's only been a dozen or so playable demons in all of MtG history. They're flavorful, good in kitchen table and draft (much like red dragons), but I would argue that as a color defining creature type since Alpha they're under-represented. Check your creature type privilege.

>Reanimating Emmy
user I...

Green has flyers.
sorta
;_;

I've always been a little peaved that spiders are green instead of black, being that they are cunning, sneaky, and silent by nature, relying on entrapment, deception rather than primal strength to feed and grow. They're the antithesis of a lumbering green beast or rhino, though, I admit, inherently a part of nature.

Maybe blue would define it's nature of deception better as well.

Think about it thematically. where are you more likely to find spiders, in swamps, or in forests?

>Part of nature
That's what I'm saying mang. Birds are natural animals and green has like ONE. It's very playable, but I still want more

>Or hydras for green.
Nigga what. Do you even Hardened Scales, Renegade Krasis, or Longshot Squad? There's plenty of support for Hydras, you've just got to look out for +1/+1 counter support and +1/+1 counter themed cards, like Gyre Sage and Bioshift.

Good idea. Give green flyers to go along with the huge creatures and broken shit it already has

is this gonna see play in modern tokens or not

>broken
What? Please rate the colours in level of brokenness so I know how much to laugh at your opinion

Swamps have A LOT of spiders (I live in Louisiana). I do agree, though I think the nature of the creature often factors into its color alignment, like red jackals, who are more likely to live in plains than mountains, and green boas and crocodiles, who are exclusively occupy something closer to a swamp or jungle than a forest. I could probably think of other examples, but in my opinion flavor should often trump truths about our world.

Everyone knows white is broken for having every other color's mechanics with added flourish.

There will be that on the deck too. Also maybe pic related (Sideboard material?).

I want to include Scute Bug too, it, Undergrowth Champion and other Landfall stuff could work very well with Joraga and Sylvan Advocate. Also something to accelerate land drops.

Prophet of Kruphix maybe?, any ideas user?

Almost exclusively*

Emrakul can be reanimated with Goryo's Vengeance in Modern. Emrakul entering the graveyard is a triggered ability and thus can be responded to.

Shit, forgot pic

These are true, but the theme should still be either logical, or at least consistent. Every region covered by mana colors would have birds for instance, but they make the most sense in blue and white. Blue for islands, surrounded by open space, white for plains, being open space. Though I suppose red should also get birds, since there's less obstacles to landing/takeoff?

not him but it is true green has been getting pretty powerful stuff lately

>Courser of Kruphix
>Atarka's Command
>Collected company
>Siege Rhino
>Oath of Nissa
>Traverse the Ulvenwald

Also since I'm putting a variety of card types and some discard (and land cards could hit the graveyard at some point), I might be interested on including Traverse the Ulvenwald, and if I do, potentially pic related.

I think it could work given hiw the deck will have ramp aspects.

Man, there's so much more Spiders could get thematically if only they were black. Deathtouch would be a lot more common, same with destroy creature effects. With that web of theirs full of monsters and men I bet they could easily throw in some flavor for lifegain and necromancy. Effects on death would be cool too. We could have a spider that lays egg tokens every time they kill something, then have them all hatch once the mother dies.

But no, big, tough creatures with small attacks and reach are fine Wizards. We don't need to experiment or anything, that could lead to power creep!

Not that user but
B>U>R>W>G.
-B, pay life, draw like a motherfucker kill everything, kill lands, kill walkers, kill creatures, kill you, can't kill enchants tho, life link because fuck you

-U, pay mana, draw cards, no, you can't do anything, no, you really can't do this, no

R-pay mana, pay life, ayyyylamo throw cards into your face, draw somethings

W-pay mana, enchant this, enchant that, exile stuff, can't draw for shit, lot's of life

G-Ayyylamo lot's of mana, BIG THROBING ANIMAL DICKS

>broken
>green
You misspelled "white"

Nothing like common 2/2's for two with first strike every fucking set. If they're uncommon they get lifelink too.

But white does everything worse, besides enchantments and exile, and literally no draws.

>common 2/2's for two with first strike

that card has literally never been printed

>Courser of Kruphix -UG
>Atarka's Command -RG and part of a powerful cycle that all see play in standard
>Collected company - I'll give you this one
>Siege Rhino -WBG
>Oath of Nissa - This is quite good, but it's still nothing broken unless you consider anticipate broken
>Traverse the Ulvenwald - not really broken, you really have to build around it to get delirium

white is pretty much jack of all trades master of none. thats why its such a good color for sideboard, its strength is flexibility

I'd say
U>W>B>R>G
in general, but it would vary a lot on the format.

Courser is monogreen.
Anyone who thinks green is the worst color anywhere except maybe limited needs their head examined.

Yeah, I get it. I don't disagree, I'm just a black-oriented player who likes spiders. One black spider ever printed, ONE. And it's still green. Even red got a mono-colored spider in planar chaos. Because it lived on some rocks. Black got a bad counter spell, a bad time walk, and a black version of fucking Sea Serpent. SEA SERPENT.

Where is the love, man?

I love Liege of the Tangle, I have a deck that uses that guy, it revolves around getting out tons of saproling tokens and the enchantment Life and Limb to go all out with as many 8/8s as possible. What's this indestructible land enchantment you're using here? It sounds like it could be really useful in my deck.

White has answers for everything but they're usually more expensive or slower.

Well technically it has. In an Un-set. That doesn't really count though.

black got a 2/2 first strike for 2

stop crying you pussy

I stand corrected. 2/1's, then?

magiccards.info/query?q=cmc=2 pow=2 tou=2 c!w o:"first strike" r=common&v=card&s=cname

A search with his requirements comes up with four cards. Three are conditional First Strike and one isn't legal in any format.

Oath of Nissa is a Antecipate in green, which is a big deal.
Traverse the Ulvenwald is a Worldy Tutor, you don't have to build around anything to get delirium in modern, Tarmagoyf is good, so delirium shouldn't be that hard.

>Courser of Kruphix -UG

nigga what

>Atarka's Command
It is the best command along with Kolaghan's and Dromoka's and them being also red or white does not stop them from being green cards.

>Siege Rhino
yea, its abzan but its only played in mostly green midrange strategies filled with creatures

>Oath of Nissa
>like Anticipate

The one mana difference is huge. If anything is more like a Ponder with an extra ability.

>Traverse the Ulvenwald
its potentially a one mana creature tutor. someone is going to break this card, just wait

Youthful Knight is the only card in the game that has ever been a common 2/1 with first strike.

>got
>literally a card from Alpha
>Meanwhile, in white.

Only white card

Yeah that's what I meant.

but green is pretty good in limited because its midrangey. i'd say the worst color in limited is red.

You're right, though I would argue that in sets where first strike is enabled by theme-centric effects, it's a minimal drawback and often even better than a Youthful Knight.

in that case, what about a 3/3 deathtouch for 2?

That one faggot is still wrong though, and is confirmed to have just been talking shit about glorious white.

>evil, necromantic spiders
Truly, I have found a compatriot of African descent this day.

I don't know the name, they told me about it on my LGS, guy was a judge, so I trust his word. Maybe it costed 1GG?

I think Sylvan Advocate has some real potential here, Scute Mob into Sylvan Advocate, then some ramp T3 to activate both Scute Mob And Sylvan Advocate T4-T5, cast Jolrael and proceed to beat down.

Its a very agro-ramp deck that could be very fun to play.

>It's okay when green does it.
I still love Vanquisher and most Lorwyn elves.
>M'Lady: The Color
White is the lamest color alignment in the game. Literal white knights.

Wow dude, a big creature for low mana in fucking green, with a drawback that requires you to build your whole deck around elves or else it's worth jack shit outside of draft. I'm so mad at Wizards right now for this atrocity to the balance of our game!

Beef is kind of what green does. That's a situationally better Kalonian Tusker right there. I didn't know about the card though. I'm slapping that in a deck soon.
Speaking of deathtouchers for 1G, is there any love for this little guy?

>2/1 Deathtouch for 2
>with Flash

If this was White you cucks would be losing your shit