Horus Heresy General /hhg/

Collected Visions Edition
Your Dudes Sub-Edition
Last time on Horus Heresy G we discussed how Lorgar's still subpar, a new World Eaterfag got advice, the Dark Angels wargear being good was questioned, what went through Rylanor's mind when the Virus bombs hit was asked, talk on how much would change thanks to the FAQ was made, we had a break from the monotony that usually haunts these thread with writefaggotry and discussion on our dudes, there are a lot more Iron Warriors and Death Guard fans than I realized, thousands of years later turtle necks are still a thing and much more in the old thread Red Book Links:
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2Fs15Jqk1t%2Ffile.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23!Jx1UGCTI!vMJN89z7p8tiEC7YOAj477g6RxDtJ7culVLF3q3godg
HH Book 6 - Retribution PDF:
mediafire.com/download/8aqx9j3a8erqv8d/The_Horus_Heresy_Book_6_-_Retribution.pdf or
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fkat.cr%2Fthe-horus-heresy-book-6-retribution-pdf-t12199249.html
HHG FAQ - pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8
Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016) - forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf
Other official downloads: forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads#horusheresy
HH Rules:
Crusade Army List: mediafire.com/download/1lprm5vd99yafa3/
Mechanicum Taghmata Army List: mega.nz/#!LFwTjQ7B!mF0eVOY8P1MPT0a-QSXypXo_ZfskhYynD41PrkaTbD8
30k/40k Rules: mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
30k/40k Rules and more (torrents): kat.cr/usearch/"Forge World" heresy user:epistolary/
30k Black Library: mega.nz/#F!0RlxDZQC!qAu9BaubWa3KeihJRmOcsg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o9QukbyOMRc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for best bros

Visions of Heresy Volume 2 is coming.

I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it'll have artwork better than the modern art we get it from GW these days.

Depends what you think of art like this.

I can't say I'm for it.
>that face on the Emperor's armor
>it has seen the true horror of Black Library, and is forever screaming

I like stuff like this

It burns too much to see Horus without his Talon. Make it stop.

I knew you'd say that. Moar >:^)
He was Warmaster, what, less than a decade? This was his true form for most of the Great Crusade's ~200 years.

He did have the Talon before he became Warmaster though.

You're a monster that deserves Phosphex to the face I hope you know that.

Ah you think Phosphex is your ally? You merely adopted the Poison 3+. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the non-dangerous terrain until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but lameness!

The Phosphex betrays you because it belongs to me!

he looks cool with a powerfist though

It's a Cthonian DAoT relic, but what did he do with his other arm in the inter of having the Talon but before getting Worldbreaker? Power finger flips?

I'll ride it like a true Iron Warrior.
Still has the combi-bolters so that's still the Talon of Horus.

>Abbadon turn down the flash
>I can't see the heresy with that shit going off

Wait, what happened to Kelbor Hal making it for Horus?

Maybe he adapted it for his use. The armour still gets made by him. Dunno.

It's epic level loot now. I prefer it to be that way.

They better make stats/model for Kelbor...

I can't imagine anyone more powerful than Scoria, I can't even begin to fathom Kelbor Hal. Is there anything written about his combat capabilities, other than he's THE Cyberpope?

I think you may be confusing two anons as one person. I'm the Shining Blades/Flawless Host dude but I am not using Blood Angels and helped out some dude who wanted to do Blood Angels/Emperor's Children a bit.

Regardless I currently have him painted in the Palatine Blades colours which are Emperor's Children with a silver torso, helmet, left arm, and left shoulder. As for the Gold Armour while it is a good idea my goal is to portray him as a relatively modest Emperor's Children with relatively unadorned armour.

>Scoria
>Scoria
>Scoria
>Scoria

Give it a rest.

He exists, and I mentioned because it's the only reference I have about Kerbor Hal, deal with it.

Alternatively, stat Kerbore Hal.

That picture would be really nice if Horus' head wasnt so smol

Help me with my low budget list to use against 40k armies...should I drop artificer armor on the sergeants to buy vexillas? points are tight for 1850

HQ
Sigismund, Pride of the Legion, 230 pts

Elites
Contemptor-Cortus, Kheres Assault Cannon, 150 pts

Contemptor-Cortus, Kheres Assault Cannon, 150 pts

Troops
5 x Cataphractii Terminators, 5 Combi-Weapons, 3 Power Fists, 2 Chainfists, Teleport Transponder, 260 pts

10 x Vet Tactical Squad, 2 Heavy Bolters, Sgt with Power Fist and Artificer Armor, Sniper, Rhino, 300 pts

10 x Vet Tactical Squad, 2 Heavy Bolters, Sgt with Power Fist and Artificer Armor, Sniper, Rhino, 300 pts

5 x Templar Brethren, 5 Combat Shields, Sgt with Solarite Fist, Land Raider Phobos, 460 pts

I think the relationship would be like the Klovis and the Arch-Zealot.

I've read that SW don't like Contemptors. Is this correct? Was opinion held during the Heresy or did it come about later?

It is. It's sort of a self-fulling prophecy. For some reason it never sat well with them and put their unhinged brothers in them. This would later make them believe that the Contemptor design was cursed and that only the unhinged should go into it.

Yeah Space Wolves sure are weird. Night, guys.

So the Cortus one with the Rage, mandatory Sweep and shit would suit this?

I'm not a huge fan of the Contemptor and I always remembered SW hating it, but the castaferrum is worthless and there's some cool old art of SW contemptors I'd like to replicate. I guess one or two with assault cannons and fists could be of use, no? Maybe put some chains on them to make it look like they have to be controlled outside of combat?

Just make them look extra shitty with paint chipping, rust, grime, oil stains, etc.

And give them zero special marks and pelts.

Have an army of grey warriors with golden runes and pelts, and then in the sea of grey, there's a couple of filthy, dark, forsaken Contemptors.

I was almost gonna go the other way, make them a bit more decorated with runes and seals to appease the crazy out of fear almost.

I just hope castaferrums get better...

IF IT DOESN'T HURT, IT DOESN'T COUNT

I think this is funny because my Siege Master is literally Bane

Is Dorn the only primarch killed by mortal(s)? Given that Curze's was a suicide.

The Khan was probably taken by Dark Eldar.

I love this post. Emperor bless it.

So Dorn needed constant supervision from Emperor and IF was called home so they wouldn't fuck things up when emps left crusade.

I like the chains and decoration path. Maybe add lots of runes that look carved into the chassis in a kind of warding.

Was Dorn's death explicitly confirmed though? I know they found remains of his hand or something, but I always kind of thought he was in the same category as the other missing primarchs

He's dead, I think it was back in 5th where the IF had the body but then it was retconned but he is still dead.

Are the Word Bearers a good legion?

3d6 and choosing the lowest two dice for morale checks seems pretty attractive

Any ideas what kind of Praetor/Consul to make this guy into? I probably have enough bits to equip him with anything.

It's for an Ultramarine Legion, if that helps.

Also I'm shaving off all the fucking purity seals and stupid ornamentation. God that shit's ridiculous.

Well, not sure what Dorn the Armless had been up to for last 10,000 years if he's not dead.

Champion I guess?

>MkVIII legs and torso
You, sir, are a disgrace. You are indicative of everything wrong with the hobby as whole in this day and age as well as being the cancer that is killing this board. You probably don't even know what a coaster is, let alone how to use one.

But his Mk III captain is standing on a miniature coaster.

Being the little girl and learning to paint. Also soccer.

And there was that time he ran communist Albania.

*Albia

FTFY

They are really cool, I just dislike they ride the daemon cock to gard.
But definetly thinking of doing aforce some day.

Curze had a vision where Dorn was surrounded by a ton of guys getting stabbed to death, Curze foresaw the death or fate of several primarchs such as Ferrus Manus and Fulgrim.

The question is, was that how Dorn perished with his hand remaining, or is that how he will perish when he returns?

Ok guys, I am building a Maru Skara list and have two full tac squads in despoilers led by praetor and champion as well with apothecaries in storm eagles with multi melta and lascannons.

The question is, how do I spend the 693 points?

I was thinking about maybe taking a Phobos full of Phoenix terminators, but that would only leave me about 118 points which is not that much. i do like them a lot though.

I could put in Rylanor, other dreads and maybe a Sicarian.

Advice would be welcome.

>I could potentially shave off some tactical marines and invest in two javellins or just go for some bikers.

With 118 points you can still add some gun platforms, a pair of plain Land Speeders or whatever if you reeeally like your Land Raiders and Terminators.

>Sicarian

There is no such thing in 30k.

I just think it might help against all those pesky skimmers.

But yeah, plain landspeeders sound nice, are cheaper than javelins too.

I'm being anal. Take all the Sicarans you want.

Oh, the name is sicaran.

What a wierd name, allways called them sicarians.

Still surprised that IW, siegebreakers par excellance, still dont have a dedicated sapper/combat engineer unit

>there are a lot more Iron Warriors and Death Guard fans than I realized,
Nigga like every 3rd post is an Iron Warriors or Death Guard, and most of the lists are, too.

Does a Marine army have to be of a certain legion? That is, can you opt to make a plain legion with no Legion rules? If so, how do they ally?

Any army that either uses an unreleased legion (ie Thousand Sons) or none just adds Stubborn or Furious Charge for its Legiones Astartes. Not sure how they ally, but if you're gooing to ally with an existing legion, why not use that legion for your primary?

>or none just adds Stubborn or Furious Charge for its Legiones Astartes

Where can I find this bit? Just so I can look it over myself or reference it in the future.

>if you're gooing to ally with an existing legion, why not use that legion for your primary?

What do you mean?

> Ferrus

Like that. Klovis(Scoria) is a better fight than the the Arch Zealot(Hal), but Hal is more well known than Scoria not to mention the head of the Dark AdMech.

It's somewhere in the red books, don't have mine with me at the moment so I'm not sure.

>What do you mean?
I mean if you're going to have [no legion] with, say, Death Guard allies, why not just run Death Guard? Unless you just want to run Thousand Sons alongside something else, it kinda seems weird to me to use a generic legion allying with a specific legion. Unless you really want those extra slots from the allied detachment.

You can't make a non-18 Legion. You have to choose one of the 18. The rules just say if you play an unlisted legion (at this point just Space Wolves and TSons) you choose to give your Legiones Astartes (X) guys Stubborn or Furious Charge. If you wan't to play a legion that isn't one of the 18, your only option is Blackshields.

The rule is on Page 80 of the LA redbook btw.

One part is the extra slots without running a second legion. Another is that I've been toying with the idea of having like quick and dirty Marines. Like troops that didn't have time to go through the proper training and implantation process and are more like hastily implanted, indoctrinated, put in armour and sent to the front lines to fill up the ranks sort of marines. First I toyed with using Militia with the Survivors of the Dark Age and something like Gene-Crafted(?), but the provenances alone would have cost more than a unit of marines.

Non-legion troops with Furious Charge could fit the idea quite well as they'd be lacking in proper legion training and all the hormones surging through their bodies would surely make them quite aggressive. Put them in MkV armour with chainswords and bolters and charge ahead. Maybe some Cortus dreadnoughts to boot.

I've only realized that now. Speaking of the Guard and Warriors how did they get along?

Ok.

>your only option is Blackshields

Weren't those like "with opponent's permission" or something?

You're thinking Shattered-legions.

Whatever happened to Ferrus's hands? Are those hands, Captcha?

Oh, right.

Have to look into Blackshields.

They are pretty cool.

I prefer outlanders.

Tbqh if you want "fast cheaply made" marines, blackshields are perfect for that and actually given as an example of a type of blackshield in book 6.

Take deathseekers I you want psycholgically unstable marines whose psycho-indoctrination was rushed/incomplete, or chimerae if you want marines whose implantation process was imperfect, making them biologically unstable.

>chymeriae
>option 3
>mfw

20 tacticals with chainswords, joined by a primus medicae. Quite tempting...

Nooo, they should never have shown the emperors face, and they certainly shouldn't have made him look like nicholas cage

Does anybody know how FW made the shiny Red on their Ksons dread?

He's had art for quite some time already.

We have Tank Hunter Heavy Weapons Teams that reduce cover saves, and a Praetor that reduces cover saves (but gives up a WT, which I think its stupid), as well as not-Saturnine Termies, as well as lots of automata. Should we get something else? I mean, most people have 3 characters, maybe we should indeed get some more. Maybe a Stor-Bezashk character to lead the Tyrants, or something from either of the IW's brethrens.

Or maybe nothing? We're fine as we are, really.

>You can't make a non-18 Legion
Let them play their homebrew legion, user.

>Speaking of the Guard and Warriors how did they get along?
Perturabo didn't get along with anyone. I don't remember if it was explicitly stated or I'm jst assuming it, but maybe Perturabo questioned not the DG's methods, but the fact that they also sieged and they were so few and so inefficient even with the overuse of tainting weapons and with the fact that they fought as a legion.

The Iron Warriors were scattered all over the galaxy and incurred in even heavier losses, but killed more, replenished casualties faster (aided by better logistics and easier geneseed implantation, but the fact Morty was all "muh Barbarus brethren only" didn't help), and left regular rubble in their wake, instead of radioactive rubble.

I liked how Emps face had prominent cheekbones, like his future skull face. He's not Nicholas Cage, that one has stupid hair, unlike the Man Emperor's manly mane.

Retro Emps.

>manly mane
You rang?

More retro Emperor with retro Horus.

MMMMMMHMMMM.
>Loyalists blessed with the Man Emperor's follicular might
>Traitors cursed with Horus-pattern baldness, unless prevented with Fulgrim-pattern AIDS

Heresy, it ain't worth it.

don't get me wrong, i love the current unique units.
However, given the IW's hard on for sieges and storming trenches, i'm a bit surprised that Forgeworld hasn't given them a unit akin to Death Korps Engineers with a Hades breaching drill

Let it be a lesson to everyone that baldness, unless shaven off as a sign of fealty or the result of an accident, is but only one result on turning back on the Man Emperor. The rest? It'll make you regret becoming a slave to darkness.

>I could put in Rylanor, other dreads and maybe a Sicarian.
Dreads are fucking hilarious with maru skara since a full talon still counts as one elites slot. An idea I've often wanted to try is to field like 6 double CCW dreads and have them all outflank turn 2.

As for what you should take my suggestion is to use the Maru Skara as a sort of hammer and anvil with the reserves dudes being the hammer and the rest being the hammer. That being said I tend to make a build something like
>Praetor
>Champion
>15 tacticals
>15 tacticals
>Sicaran
>Sicaran Venator
>Sicaran Venator
>Anvillus Drop Pod
>Anvillus Drop Pod
>10 Seekers with some combi plasmas (in the drop pod)
>8 Palatine blades with a couple of phoenix spears

Praetor and champion go with the palatines overall plan tends to be
>Sicaran and venators attempt to pop transports particularly heavy transports carrying valuable units
>Tacticals run forwards as far as possible towards objectives
>Palatines show up turn 2, seekers show up turn 2 or 3 (depending on how certain I am that I can pop their transport by turn 2)
>Palatines exit transport and assault things turn 3, seekers jump out as soon as possible and dump tons of BS 5 preferred enemy plasma on their target

>It'll make you regret becoming a slave to baldness.

Blackshields can't take tacticals. Granted your tactical equivalents can all take heavy chainswords (for the insane price of 5 points each).

Thanks for fixing that.

Decimation was bad...but it could have been worse

I understand some of these are the nittiest of nit picks, but I digress.

The IW are a strong legion with two very good RoW, two very good unique units and one of the best primarchs, but to my mind they suffer from a couple of flaws:

1. (and most glaringly) The Warsmith: Losing access to warlord traits, especially potentially world burner or target priority, on a unit with no access to other unique wargear that buffs the army/makes them tankier/killier while giving up double victory points is not ok.

2. Iron circle: Very over costed for what they do, either need a dramatic points cut or a couple extra attacks to be worth taking for anything other then a casual game or because you like the models

3. LA:IW rule/unique wargear: Morale is super important, but so is damage output, and unfortunately the IW rules and wargear don't actually help them kill anything any better, which while not a problem when spamming deepstriking suicide stubborn FC termies with Perturabo while multiple havok squads hammer away at enemy strong points, in smaller point game/ZM games they are at a distinct disadvantage against, say DG with shredding flamers/rad grenade, SoH with their +1 BS and bonus attacks in CQC

Is it wrong to complain about a good legion because its not the best? Probably, but its what Perturabo would have wanted.

They just need a couple little touch ups, like omni-scopes being wargear all sergeants can buy to give more squads split fire, warsmith giving out some unique buff other then nerfing one piece of cover, and some buff/alteration to the LA:IW rule where they get to shoot more, like +1 attacks with bolters at 12" range as a parallel to the IF, where they rely on precision the IW bury you in weight of fire

Disgress? Your opinion is almost exactly the same as mine.

Losing a WT is indeed dumb, as also is giving a VP on death without any increase in killing power whatsoever (I find it dumb the Warsmith can't join a unit of MCs like the Praevian does, given how he can purchase a Cortes controller, servoarm and batlesmith)

And the Iron Circle's greatest failure isn't their price, buth the fact they're forced to footslog (not even Perty can deepstrike them).

And our morale rules only allow us to endure dying better, rather than to kill easier. Gotta ride the Ironfire, though. Snipe people with artillery shells :^)

>Is it wrong to complain about a good legion because its not the best?
They'll surely call us WAACfags, but it's always nice to get stuff that synergizes with the rest of the legion, instead of overlappung. Nothing wrong with that.

>They just need a couple little touch ups, like omni-scopes being wargear all sergeants can buy to give more squads split fire, warsmith giving out some unique buff other then nerfing one piece of cover, and some buff/alteration to the LA:IW rule where they get to shoot more, like +1 attacks with bolters at 12" range as a parallel to the IF, where they rely on precision the IW bury you in weight of fire
Omni-scopes are useless most of the time
The Warsmith should be able to join MCs/Get -1 to a piece of cover WITHOUT giving up his WT
As for better LA rule...maybe not. Canonically, the IW were quite unremarkable.

You want to play with them? Then do the maths, forge great battleplans and never be afraid to spend some lives. Understand you'll suffer huge casualties. Such is the way of the Iron Warriors. We never relent.

I can't decide if Perturabo's decimation or the Redeemer's decimation is worse.

I can't help but love the Redeemer, even if he undeniably is a madman.

I plan to use my Storm Eagles with despoilers and ic as hammer.

Do they qualify?

Might be better to have them slog forward with the better speed of maru Skara

Holy shit I heard that "MMMMMMHMMMM" in lucius' voice from TTS

youtube.com/watch?v=o9QukbyOMRc

>ZM games they are at a distinct disadvantage against, say DG with shredding flamers/rad grenade
Eh, DG are just good at ZM in general, that's not the best comparison

I agree about the Iron Circle though, I'd bet on them getting re-balanced at some point.

The Hades is a cool piece of kit, but I don't think there's any way to field one in a legion (or even in an allied force) outside of houserules for a scenario.

There is a provision for any superheavy in the Imperial Armour books to be used by 30k-era forces, but even the "multiple small superheavies" probably won't cover it, as it's not all that big

Same here. Once of the greatest shames is that we'll never get a Redeemer vidya game.