MTG Modern General

Which is the better blue deck? Grixis, or Jeskai?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trippin-3/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How many shocks did you pull?

Grixis

Jeskai

Cancer

I'd say Grixis.

But on that note, what is the best Jeskai version?
only Burn + Snappy or Kiki + Resto? And where do Dank Dwellers fit into this?

A total of none. Got a Sacred Foundry though.

It wasn't a great pull over all but got some fun stuff. I'm going to play competitively anyway.

RUG
:^)

Anyone here use Pucatrade

Is it legit, I got a few cards that are worth money but it seems like it'd easier to use that

>How many shocks did you pull?
>A total of none. Got a Sacred Foundry though.

I made my first modern deck. H..how'd i do?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trippin-3/

>vintage type 1
>legacy type 1.5
>standard type 2
>modern ????
What did wotc mean by this?

Decay destroys Daybreak Coronet, Ethereal Armors and any other dangerous auras

For Mythics I got a Giant Adephage, Aurelia the Warleader, Lazav Dmir Mastermind, and a Domri Rade.

No where near as good as my pull for the SoI release. From a booster box and fat pack ended up with 2 Arlin Kords, and 2 Jaces. The night before at FNM I pulled a Nahiri and an Arlin Kord in my 2 packs for coming top half. And the week before that at pre-release ended up with a foil Sorin.

0-3 drop in any decent meta.

>Doesn't know what shocklands are
>Thinks mythics are automatically good
Welcome, newfriend.

Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Shadows all have the best chance for good shit with the DFCs tbqh family
Last week I bought a booster pack for shits and giggles and pulled a Jace, Abbey, and a foil Skin Invasion

Never claimed I wasn't new, friend.

Just realised I think I might have been thinking of fetch lands. I haven't gotten into Modern properly yet so I am still trying to learn the lingo. Shock/Pain/Fetch lands, it is still very much greek to me.

No worries. We're all new at some point.

Build eldrazi taxes
Cheaper than buying multiple boxes. And you interact with your opponent

Where does the fun come from in Modern? I'm a big fan of brewing decks or looking at what's available and making something that functions. Isn't the whole point of Modern to pick a deck from the lists, tweak it to your meta, and then play it until you get bored? Why not just play Legacy if you want to do high powered pilot fights?

Remember - Gifts Ungiven into Iona/Unburial should be banned.

because they need to feel good about something

Because spending the amount of money that it would take to get into legacy is dumb paper magic when less and less people are playing it irl. Online it is different but instead of buying a legacy deck in paper it is better to just pay for a hooker or something.

>what is clip wings

This:
Legacy is a dying format in paper while being more expensive. Due to Modern also being (half-heartidly) curated by WotC it still promises more interactive games.

>modern
>interactive
Haha nigga you serious?

>none
>Got a Sacred Foundry

What

Must suck to not have a thriving legacy scene and no job.

>total of 8 mana that gets shat on by counterspells, graveyard hate or simply having 2 different colors of removal
It hasn't been anywhere near dominant or oppressive at any point of modern. Why would it need to be banned?

What is the best / the worst set in your opinion? Let's say you can pick from M12 till now

Best: Innistrad
Worst: Dragon's Maze
This is really easy with such a narrow limitation.

Because people are salty over combos. If you need any more proof that modern babbus get ass devestated over combos look no further than last thread and the massive "waah twin was oppressive because I had to interact" derailment that took over the thread about half way through.

>BFZ
Why? I mean, I'm not playing competitive so as a casual player with friends we had a lot of fun with this set and entire block

From M12? Best is Return to Ravnica, worst is BFZ by a mile. That entire set is Homogenous the Gathering.

>doesn't know the Greek
It's like you can't even recite the Greek alphabet backwards

Should I invest into Grixis Control? I wont be able to get Snapcasters for a while (i'm considering using Young Pyromancers instead) but i already have playsets of Bloodstained Mire and Polluted Delta. Or should I rather look at getting another deck?

I've always been interested, how quickly do things ship? How does card condition get factored in?

Shipping is painfully slow, hiw it takes 2 weeks to get out of their parents basement and into a mailbox is beyond me. Cards are all requires to be NM, but rarely are, the better people will message you and ask if you want a SP or worse card at a discount, the scumbags (most people) will just send LP cards anyways.

Modern : The Sideboarding.
This format is dumb as fuck. Either you draw your sideboard hate and win, or your opponent draw his sideboard hate and win.
If you both draw your sideboard hate. You're in for the durdliest game of magic you ever played.
Shit is boring.

How many more threads are you going to post this meme in?

>But on that note, what is the best Jeskai version?
jeskai nahiri is the best jeskai list atm

>And where do Dank Dwellers fit into this?
this is the best dankdwellers list.

HOLY FUCK BBAHAHAHHAHA this is what non-legacy players believe. Legacy is so much more interactive than modern.

>B U Y I N G B O O S T E R S

This deck looks like a piece of shit. I cannot think of where to even start

>crucible mb
>without a single GQ or tec in the 75
>thinks he gets to ever resolve boom against Tron
I think you need to re-evaluate your life, user.

What do I do, I have a RWB midrangeish deck, and I am thinking of breaking it up into 2 separate decks, one kinda WB eldrazi processors, and the other being a RB vampire aggro deck.

Both final decks and the initial deck sound bad though user, list of pre-deck pls

I'm at work right now so I can't type the deck lists up, they are mainly for fnm playing, they can't hold a candle to any tier 1 deck, but I can usually scrape out a decent record so I am happy with them.

>playing land destruction without smallpox
F U CK

been winning irl and modo for several weeks. naysay all you want, i'm just going to keep farming nerds for store credit.

What do you guys think about this card in a burn deck? I Get that as a topdeck it's kinda mediocre, but if you're at that point in the game, its going to be pretty big the next turn anyway

This must be bait.

Why would burn run this over a burn spell that deals 3? There's enough burn that deals 3 that this seems a little slow. You don't need cantrips, you need to end the game before they can stabalize

Sure about that?

what the fuck

this is modern general

Lmao what a cuck. I'll bet he wasn't complaining about combo when twin was a deck.

Because lots of burn spells arent nearly as efficient as lightning bolt I guess. I'm going to run it in a few matches and maybe see how it feels, since having it in your opening hand could give you some extra legs turn 4-5, where card draws are pretty important.

Am I missing something with the wrong art there?

It's /mtg/ bingo.

"Legacy is dead", "Modern is an Eternal format", "Printing good creatures is ruining magic", "Standard is boring but modern is fun", "Just play pauper" etc.

Meaning that there are answers to Iona in non-black. Hell, Rending Volley+bolt would get there.

Or you know maybe, Liliana?

I think he is talking about xmage, cuckatrice or the practice room on mtgo
He doesn't know he was facing only shitbrewers like him.

>Where does the fun come from in Modern?
Winning?

>Isn't the whole point of Modern to pick a deck from the lists, tweak it to your meta, and then play it until you get bored?
I'm not aware that that's the point. Personally, I play most of the decks, zero in one which ones feel right and then play 4-5 decks that I feel comfortable with. Since I'm only playing once a week, I've yet to get bored, particularly since there are meta shifts every quarter or two.

>Why not just play Legacy if you want to do high powered pilot fights?
Because I'm not interested in traveling 300+ miles to play paper magic.

>Shit is boring.
Then don't play Modern. And go bother someone else.

So I made this list without playtesting it at all and went to my local shop and beat the full power mirror (we're both Abzan) and I thought this deck was fun as shit.

It's a bit on the budget side because I traded to get most of my deck and I'm pretty much out of trade bait so I'd have to buy the rest, so for now this is it:

Lands (24)
4x Windswept Heath
3x Bloodstained Mire
3x Overgrown Tomb
2x Godless Shrine
1x Temple Garden
2x Woodland Cemetery
2x Isolated Chapel
1x Stirring Wildwood
3x Swamp
2x Plains
1x Forest

Creatures (16)
4x Strangleroot Geist
2x Fleecemane Lion
2x Courser of Kruphix
4x Siege Rhino
2x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2x Tasigur

Sorceries (12)
3x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Duress
3x Lingering Souls
2x Timely Reinforcements
2x Painful Truths

Instants (8)
4x Path to Exile
2x Dismember
2x Abzan Charm

What are some secret sideboard techs you guys can recommend? Preferably cheap because I don't have much expendable income because I have a trip soon.

Can't cast her after she's naming black.

I'd recomend adding 4 tarmogoyf and 4 Liliana

XD

I just assembled all the cards for my first Modern deck after months of trading. Can I get some feedback/general tips?

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Stormchaser Mage

4x Serum Visions
4x Gix Probe
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Remand
3x Mana Leak
2x Spell Snare
2x Electrolyze
2x Vapor Snag
2x Sleight of Hand

6x Island
4x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
2x Steam Vents
2x Sulfur Falls

My intuition after playing a few games is to cut two of my Stormchasers, but I'm not sure what to add.

oh yeah, sideboard:

2x Forked Bolt
2x Staticaster
2x Flashfreeze
2x Hurkyl's Recall
2x Dispel
2x Gut Shot
3x Spell Pierce

Maybe add relic of progenitus? Not sure what to take out

I think Izzet just really can't compete in the modern format because blue kind of sucks in modern.

I wish you the best of luck though.

Thanks, I was worried about that. Only way to find out is to play more at my LGS though

I'm thinking of going Temur or Grixis once I trade for some fetches.

It looks like it has potential, it could work. Might be better suited for a U/R prowess deck though, vapor snag into needle drop seems cool

but snag doesn't do damage

I played grixis control until I just couldn't compete with any deck, so I recently built the budget Abzan through trading (my deck list here )

Grixis is probably your best bet, but Jeskai could be very fucking annoying too.

I think Temur isn't that good however, and blue really is just going to be remand and card draw while the other 2 colors do all the work.

There's nothing funny about being a poor little fag

What do you add with Jeskai?

nice list but change the stormchasers for snapcasters and add two blood moons c: .Most lists on mtgtop have them

Path to Exile, Boros Charm, lightning helix, shit like that would help you a lot.

There's a ton you can add but that's off the top of my head

helix, and saint geist

Trying to get some snapcasters through puca right now! Blood moon is something I'll pick up when I've concluded I like the deck archetype enough to spend a lot of money on it

Geist is spicy, I like it. I've got a few helixes so I could try it out sooner than later

In an aggro/burn heavy meta, lightning helix is the bee's fucking knees

Make burn cry

Delverbro here.

You could trim a land, 18-19 is usually a good amount but that's counting fetch, I would try 19 if you've been getting flooded. If not stick to 20, but definitely test out 19 a ton.

16 creatures can work, that's usually the cap for delver; imo Yung P could go down to 3, since having doubles of him can feel bad, although a Stormchaser being cut works too. Grim lavamancer is a cool 1of in delver but he needs fetch to truly make him degenerate.

I personally like seeing 2 storm chaser over 2 pyro in hand but imo Pyro is the better card, keeping 16 creatures is by no means bad though.

The 2 Sleight of Hand can be cut imho.

tl;dr

-1 land
-2 sleight
maybe -1 pyro/chaser

Brb but I can give other suggestions

>blue
>good

Green is the best color in Modern.

I'll cut to 19, then to 18 once I get fetches.
Between pyro and stormchaser, I think i'd rather cut a stormchaser. Lavamancer is a good idea

What do you think should be swapped for the 2 sleight? +1 remand +1 mana leak?

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Spellstutter sprite
4x Snapcaster Mage
4x Thing In The Ice

4x Thought Scour
2x Spell Snare
4x Vapor Snag
4x Remand
4x Psionic Blast
4x Cryptic Command

18x Island
4x Mutavault

:^)

Disgusting

>better=good

Shit tastes better than bleach but that doesn't mean shit tastes good

have u even drank bleach before?

Why do you drop in FNM? Isn't playing the game itself fun?

I really like the 3-3 remand/leak split, and the 2 snares, I think you have a solid counterspell package going.

I'd do 19 lands and test further. it's hard to measure the benefits of 18 land topdraws vs 19 land openers but 19 is playing safe.

Again it's hard to tell which could use a trim, the pyros or the stormchasers, or even if it needs a trim; if you do add a lavamancer I would find one to trim. Test a bunch and find out which one feels better in multiples in hand.

With 3 slots open, one of the most mvp cards I've found is a single Izzet charm.
Delver is good, ignore anyone who says otherwise, but needs to work a bit harder to get wins. This is mostly because the tempo game requires the right card at the right time for a given situation, and Izzet can act as spot removal or a counterspell, and can even turn that pesky extra land into more gas.

As for the two other slots, I've been pretty fond of a mainboard Roast. It is almost always a Terminate-lite imo.
The other slot you can fill with whatever you feel you need, be it a Forked Bolt, a Vapor Snag, a Dispel, even a burst lightning

Personally I really like 1 Izzet charm (and 1 Roast ain't bad but some may disagree), so try replacing the Sleights with those, and then figure out the land/creature replacements after.

I hate that shit.

I also hate getting "byes" because nigger I paid to play magic not watch magic

I hate it too. There's a guy at my store that drops as soon as he loses a match.

I sometimes drop in large tournaments one of the shops here does on the weekends. It usually has really good prizes like Lilianas and Goyfs so tons of people show up and it goes on forever. After something like 10 hours, I just want to get some sleep and go home.

I'm actually interested in this.

What are the bad matchups?

Why no Kiki?

is torpor orb worth side board slots again since chord decks will just kill cages? or just stick a cage and hope for the best? Orb also stops the random kiki deck, but cage can come in vs gifts, snapcaster based, etc where orb cant.

side boarding is difficult right now, as some decks will always need siding against (infect/burn/afinity) that take up the majority of slots and then the 5 or so slots left are 'do I side for x tier 2 deck or the other tier 2 deck (tron/scapeshift/gifts/boggles/reanimator/ad nausiumn/etc) and going to a larger tournament it feels like you just need to get lucky.

Why does nobody understand orb?

How does it not stop Snapcaster?

Chord decks can still kill orb with qasali pridemage.

true
also true

expecting allot of chord combo at the next event, and cant decide on the best sb hate for it.