/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous Thread: Since Mage is out, how about we populate a Consilium based on Dave's guidelines ( i.imgur.com/vZuFIPR.png keep in mind, the numbers of Gnosis are shifted a bit from here). A couple hundred Mages is pretty ridiculous, so we'll come up with a hundred or so. Think of it as an unofficial NPC Compendium. Or just a good place for people who are having trouble coming up with concepts to get concept ideas.

>Mage 2e for poor losers
mega.nz/#!B4US0aqZ!ZfMiO0LX9FP2pRWGMJKmosYd8PJiChPGx3ZJLKUJZs8

>Mage 2e for rich fuckers
drivethrurpg.com/product/181754/Mage-the-Awakening-2nd-Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/mByuG93b
youtube.com/watch?v=NbuUW9i-mHs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZW3aV7U-aik
youtube.com/watch?v=YXjkyI-LbgI
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/490382-the-world-of-darkness-revealed-and-tumblr
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you honestly want to do that "Make a Consilium" thing, it'd be best to sort out some page or something we can post characters on.

>From here, mages can either travel through tunnels in the stone into the Anima Mundi, or skirt its edge to walk into the Primordial realms containing humanity’s essential emotions and fears. These realms, representing the animal instincts of the human race, are poorly understood. Their inhabitants are typically monstrous and highly protective of their territory.

And here I was, thinking they forgot Beast all together.

>
>Personally, I like Prime more for doing Green Lantern things than I do creating an army of illusions. If summoning hard light constructs is no longer a thing, I'll be disappointed, but not terribly put out.

Exactly what I liked. Now we just have a Prime 3 tass-object spell (simple objects only, no moving parts) and a Prime 5 Marionette equivalent that any other mage can steal from you if their nimbus touches it.

Probably. I figured it would be best to get a few first, and if I'd waited, the thread probably would have fell off the board by the time I was done. Whenever I'm the one making the threads, I have a tendency to spend ten or twenty minutes fussing with an image, and lose the "Next thread/Previous thread" connection.

Plus, the only ideas I have so far are a transgender Acanthus named Tiresias and a Cabal of super secretive Mages based on the Four Horsemen.

I don't need moving parts to create a sword out of Supernal Truth.
Marionette always took too long to get to, so I never set my sights on it. I don't even know if I put it on the spell list of the Proximus Dynasty I made of the kid who thought he was a superhero when his Dynasty birthrights started showing up.

Daily reminder that Panopticon seers will use their prelacy, Spatial Sympathy, and Time Sympathy to kill you when you were a baby and there is fuck-all you can do about it.

So? Won't kill you.
And if you are in a city where that is a real risk of this happening, your Mentor probably cast a shielding spell of Time back in time on you as a baby the moment the Guardians found you. At the latest when you get recruited into an Order.

>if you are in a city

In a city? Who needs that when the prelacy lets you operate off an unknown connection?

You seem to have misunderstood what I was saying?
Why do you think their ability to operate off an unknown connection would matter when the point is that you'll have a shielding of time on you?

I can't believe Mind got its lunch eaten by Time.

Can someone explain the three dot attainment to me?

It lets them spend 1 Mana to specify the second arcarnum of the being they summon. But the summoning rules already say this, and you need three dots to select it as the second arcarnum anyway.

So the 3 dot attainment gives you nothing at all?

>BoweryDogs.JPEG

>Most of the people here are bitching because mages are not sll powerful anymore.
Also that they're too powerful, as shown I personally love that they're not as "powerful".

>To the Storyteller's credit
No offense to your Storyteller, dude, but that sounds like Shit GMing 101.

Yo guys, any advice on what I ought to pick for my starting Praxes? I've never played Mage before, so I'm having a hard time judging what spells would actually benefit from easier exceptional successes, especially at character creations when I'm only gonna be rolling a cool 3 dice on most spells..

For reference, my Arcana are Fate 2 / Time 2 / Space 2. But I don't even need specific suggestions necessarily, I'm at least just trying to get a general idea of where the Praxes would be most useful.

>when I'm only gonna be rolling a cool 3 dice on most spells

Say what?

The way I see it, the first Praxis is the spell that most basically defines your character. For example, since I wanted to play a modern day Alchemist, I went for Transmutation.

Daily reminder from nWoD 2e to check your privilege.

>this thread's too slow, better rattle the culture war saber with a months old sidebar

When will both sides just start shooting each other already

Any good Death legacy I can pick up as an Obrimos that isn't the Tremere? I like the Tremere but it doesn't really fit with the game I'll be playing in.

Am I mistaken? Gnosis 1 + Arcana 2 = 3 dice.

So, basically, just pick something character-defining that appeals to you? I suppose that's not a bad way to approach it when I have no idea what I'm doing otherwise!

Holy shit, I can practically smell the piercings and jacket patches. That font looks like Werewolf but the colour looks like the corebook. What's that from?
Also, other than the RADICAL name for that Condition, I kinda like it. Though it's one of those Conditions that really only works when the system has some more mechanics for narrative conditions not given as part of a mechanic.

Like, when would I use that? "You're in a shitty job, so you have this condition"? That's possible, but not really a thing supported by the game. I love Conditions, but I really wish they more directly ripped off Fate's Aspects with how they're handled.

>Am I mistaken? Gnosis 1 + Arcana 2 = 3 dice.

Why no Yantras?

High Speech: 5 dice.
Magical Tool: 6 dice.
Willpower: 9 dice.

Ah, right. I guess I was just thinking about Instant casting, since I could probably only reliably bump that up to 4 dice without Willpower. It probably make more sense to use the Praxes on something I'll be ritual casting though, huh?

Well Dave did mentioned that the spells at base will be weaker then 1E. But Reach really of sets that.

Also , is a troll who can't read, because to cast a spell on someone's past you need to target them in the present. I have it highlighted below. Besides the Penopticon Seer gets the benefit for the sypathic range attainment not temporal sympathy.

>because to cast a spell on someone's past you need to target them in the present

Changes jack shit.

>Besides the Penopticon Seer gets the benefit for the sypathic range attainment not temporal sympathy.

You're ignoring Occultation/Shadow Name by your Space dots, spatial sympathy or no.

>What's that from?
The Dark Ages book. Specifically, 70s New York Werewolf. Punk Generation would see a lot of use there.

Marionette (Ruling - Prime 2)
>Can manipulate Tass to act at your command
>Reach +2: Control extends to sympathetic range

Phantasm / Platonic Form (Weaving - Prime 3)
>Create Tass object from Mana
>Reach +2: Can be more complex (moving parts, pulse, etc.)
>Reach +1: Make more durable / increase ealth levels
>Reach +2: Make Lasting

Idealized Form (Patterning - Prime 4)
>Tass now functions as the object it mimics - calculator correctly adds up, car engine uses fuel, wood burns, etc.
>Reach +2: Make Lasting
>Reach +1: Conceal Supernal origin vs. Clash of Wills

Eidolon (Making - Prime 5)
>Creates Tass object with a unique Pattern of it's own, granting awareness of self, uses simplified attributes
>Reach +2: Use Mage's attribute in place of it's own (1 by default)
>Reach +2: Use Mage's skills in place of it's own (0 by default)
>Reach: 1 Use Mage's Prime in place of one atribute/skill

You forget that Seers of a Ministry only get access to things within their Exarchs purview, Eye doesn't hold any claims to Time as it is the domain of Prophet!

Oh, that makes sense, yeah. Fight the power.

Please don't start this again

I used my mastery of Time to ensure this argument will continue Ad Nauseum. All for the will of the Exarchs!

>You forget that Seers of a Ministry only get access to things within their Exarchs purview
Not how prelacies work.

Speaking of Sympathy, I really like that Space is now more about the sympathetic connections between objects, as opposed to manipulations of physical distance. I don't know if that was present in 1e or not, but reading 2e it really feels like the Mastigos stuff is thematically connected, as opposed to the Gross Arcana just being tacked on to the psychic stuff. I almost hadn't even realized the sample Awakening with the bipolar artist was representing Space primary until the last paragraph.

Don't Panoticon Seers only have access to the Vision Prelacies though?

The Crown of Vision's second benefit isn't limited to Spatial Sympathy.

But in order to make use of it with Time you'd probably need to be a backstabbing git whose working for Prophet...which is no problem at all for a Seer.

The Summoning rules are expanding the info for the 3-dot attainment.
Also, trying to summon something without the Attainment would be a spell, which means it could be counter spelled and cause Paradox. Attainments aren't spells, so neither of those will happen.

He did say "most spells". You aren't going to spend willpower on "most spells"

Using Yantras doesn't require you to be ritual casting; at most, if you're using High Speech, that's a 1-turn buildup to actually casting it, as opposed to three hours for ritual casting.

It's pretty specifically talking about Sympathetic Range, and Space magic. Sympathetic Range is the Space attainment, and thus is objectively limited to Spatial Sympathy.

What are your hopes for Gen Con?

What do we even need? We have everything now or on the way besides Hunter 2.

Prommie 2, Changeling 2. Nothing else exists.

Geist 2e.

When is Gencon?

Fuck you, guy.
Also, Deviant info and possibly even some other new line being announced.

Still waiting on a Seer/Mummy crossover (The Seer in charge of the Pylon believes that this particular Arisen is an Ochema of Prophet)

>no pastebin
pastebin.com/mByuG93b

So if the subltr arcana are the ingredients for a new soul, is Pyros the flame you cook it over?

Geist 2e, Hunter 2e, Promethean 2e, Changeling 2e, Deviant news. Updates to the translation guides for use between X20 and Chronicles of Darkness.

Kindred of The East 20th

>When is Gencon?
89 days

So aspel was doing the chronicles of fagness stuff the whole time

Which is ironic, because it makes more sense to be named Correspondence, like Ascension

And Sekhem is the marinade.

>need to take an extra -4 to target garou
nice

Think of it more like a Nuclear reactor, Azoth is the fuel rod, the Subtle Arcana are the control rods and Sekhem is the water they run through it all. and this all enclosed in a shell of solidified Aether.

Why would I have been doing the fagness stuff? I just forgot to link the pastebin.
Also, why do you feel Sympathy doesn't fit? Or do you mean Space? I could understand that, but I think Space is a good name for it, while Correspondence (and Entropy) don't really fit with the naming scheme of the Arcana.

This soup is sounding kind of gross.

>confusing me with that beast
Kill yourself, my main man.

>Also, why do you feel Sympathy doesn't fit? Or do you mean Space? I could understand that, but I think Space is a good name for it, while Correspondence (and Entropy) don't really fit with the naming scheme of the Arcana.
Space refers to literal space, correspondence with connections

>This soup is sounding kind of gross.
>not wanting 4000 year old hermaphrodite and people sewn together from a dozen dead bodies or just piles of manure formed into human shape in your soup
why are you even on Veeky Forums?

See, you idiots gave him so much attention, he took a name. I hope you're all happy.

>implying the human soul is not a tasty well cooked burg on a grill

What the fuck

He took a name a while ago. It just means it's easier to identify his posts, and ignore them if you want to.

It's to skirt around bans and warnings

youtube.com/watch?v=NbuUW9i-mHs
Kurgzesat was later disappeared by an agent of the Praetorian Ministry.

>a while ago
Why do people lie like this? I've at most missed two of these threads the last few days because of work. So what is 'a while ago' here, 24 hours?

I don't think even Tammuz can be formed from piles of poop.

How does a name help with that?

He took the "chronicles of fagness" name like two weeks ago.

>How does a name help with that?
Instead of just posting chronicles of fagness which violates rules 3/6, he puts it in his name and posts regularly so his posts aren't just shitposting

I'm new to Awakening, but doesn't the Path system seem a little bit restricting? "This pairs with that, and not with that". Not sure how it actually plays in the game, but it kinda sucks in theory. Also death pairing with matter, seriously?

> Changes jack shit
It changes everything. Unless that Seer is instant casting the kill baby you spell. You will have ample time to counter the spell/caster.

Your second point is pretty valid, but that merit is pretty strong.

It's fine in Practice.

Death pairing with matter works fine; they both affect material things that aren't alive.

But isn't it bad that a single character can get bonuses for a third of the available arcana?

I really love the paradox involved here, because I think that it's both important to know this, but that it's also important to highlight the conflict of the world. This goes for everything terrible. This is without a doubt the best time period to live. Even with political corruption and the human rights issues that "Civilized" countries face despite lauding themselves as better than others ("We don't *kill* our minorities!") and all the violence and strife that you see on television... This is the safest and healthiest period to be alive.

But at the same time, we got there by shining a spotlight on the war and hate and violence. People criticize social justice movements by saying they don't have it as bad as foreign countries, and so they shouldn't complain, but one of the reasons the world gets better is because people complain. Television turned public opinion on war in the 70s (even if OORAH military propaganda sort of turned it back in the 00s)

The Praetorians are losing. Also, thanks, user. I really needed something positive. "The world is shitty, but not as shitty as we all think".

Each path only gets 2/10, or a fifth, of the available Arcana as Ruling, and one as Inferior.
The only way to get a third Ruling is to join a Legacy, and that's perfectly fine and an understood part of the rules.
There's nothing wrong with it at all.

Aren't most creeps limited in a similar fashion anyway? Like, you don't see Werewolves with gifts from every single type, they are built to pick from a select few.

Still, mages seem to be compelled to pick the same two arcana for the same path. It's more difficult to make unique combinations.

I don't know how true this is, but on the other hand Mages can make more unique combinations within their path than most characters can with what they pick. That is to say, having the same arcana leads to more varied play than say having the same keys in geist.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZW3aV7U-aik
And this is why creating a Neutron Star is in the purview of Matter and not Space.

>It's more difficult to make unique combinations.

The goal of the game is not to make unique combinations. The design and intent of the setting intentionally presupposes certain gross/subtle Arcana pairings. The Paths are more than just preferred Arcana (e.g., Mage Sight), and "uniqueness" is largely a product of choosing a Legacy.

Further, mages of all paths can learn and use all the Arcana.

This.

Especially with the addition of rotes and praxes, and the increased effects of being in a Legacy, two Moros could end up wildly different characters, never even casting the same spell, while two Rahu werewolves will always be preeetty similar.

You have easier access to the stuff that's linked to your Path/Clan/Auspice(/Tribe), but it's pretty common for people to have their dots spread out pretty widely.

Especially with Mages, because not everybody who awakens as a Thyrsus because they're interested in things related to Life is going to fall into the animism of Spirit very easily.

>You have easier access to the stuff that's linked to your Path/Clan/Auspice(/Tribe), but it's pretty common for people to have their dots spread out pretty widely.
This is one of the reasons I love WoD's system. So much better than "this is your class, you can do nothing outside of it"

Not really. A Rahu Blood Talon and a Rahu Iron Master could be wildly different characters. Even if they're the same Tribe as well, they might not have the same Facets in the Gifts that they've got.

Your two ruling arcana you an get to 5/5 without instruction.

Your one inferior arcana you can get to 2/5 without instruction

The other seven you can get to 4/5 without instruction, and will likely have a Mage in your cabal who can instruct you by the time it becomes relevant.

The greatest trick the Exarchs ever pulled was forcing the Chronicles of Darkness onto the world.

No, I mean in general. I love that by choosing Daeva, I'm not totally shutting myself off from scaring the shit out of people with Nightmare, it just takes me a little more Experience.

Do Mage Arcana not actually have a cost deduction for in-Path?

Things above your cap cost 5 XP, instead of 4.

youtube.com/watch?v=YXjkyI-LbgI
The first clip of this is probably a really funny depiction of Father.
>Pissy Mage: "There is no goooooooodddddddd!"
>Father: (Prime 5 Unmaking, squish) THERE IS NO EVAN!

Some of those were funny, but dang sure is a lot of John K. copying.

Man, I wish there was more of a difference between in-path and out-of-path.

That's limiting. In Ascension you can get a "ruling" one and an "inferior" one. But in Awakening if you want to make a guy specialized in say, matter and space it's more difficult and you can either pick the slow path or go with getting an aura of death that attracts spirits even if you want nothing to do with Death, as well as the necromancer yantras. I just don't like the "package deals" when there aren't that many to start with.

The differenceis in having to pay mana for every improvised spell that isn't on your Path.

The Clover was hilarious.

You'll also pay for mage sight.

>You have easier access to the stuff that's linked to your Path/Clan/Auspice(/Tribe), but it's pretty common for people to have their dots spread out pretty widely.
You can't get moon gifts outside of your auspice, but you can get any shadow Gift

Oh, right, I forget about that sometimes.

I have a couple of questions:
-Are the Exarchs really the bad guys? Couldn't they just be part of the "natural" state of the world, or even keeping it from going wrong?
-How can Mages be so convinced that their understanding of the Supernal is right? They are still mostly human.

>I have a couple of questions:
>-Are the Exarchs really the bad guys? Couldn't they just be part of the "natural" state of the world, or even keeping it from going wrong?

The Exarchs perpetuate The Lie. If the Lie were natural, why is there Paradox?

>-How can Mages be so convinced that their understanding of the Supernal is right? They are still mostly human.

They see the TRUTH!

So the Fate 2 spell Shifting the Odds says it will lead you to a person/place/object within the next 24 hours. Does that mean you ALWAYS have to Reach for Advanced Duration, or the spell doesn't actually do anything? That seems... odd.

But is the Lie really not part of the Truth? What if it is, and the Mages's enlightened, feeble human minds cannot grasp it? I know Mage is an extension of the Plato's cave allegory, but it still makes me wonder.

You're sounding a lot like a Seer, user...

I'm not stupidly evil enough for that. But what if the Abyss consuming all and existence re-emerging from this nothingness is actually part of the cycle of the universe? So many questions...

Never mind. He's a scelesti.

I think that within 24 hours might be lasting? I don't know.

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/490382-the-world-of-darkness-revealed-and-tumblr

What would Veeky Forums be like in the World of Darkness Revealed?

/x/ would be more popular