Djinn Thread

Post Genies and how you've used them in your campaigns.

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/18350298/
oglaf.com/simon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What good is a harem if you don't have a penis?

>Women can't have a harem

Half-genies have to come from somewhere.

just look at the size of his fingers

To be precise, harems are specifically FOR women

What can you do with a genie? I don't want a player to get to one and derail the campaign with a stupid wish.

Technically this is actually true. When women have a collection of men it's properly called a stable.

Well, at least in D&D, genies are usually depicted as being the Elemental equivalents to angels and demons and devils: the supreme rulers of their Elemental Plane, with djinn ruling Air, Efreet ruling Fire, Dao/Shaitan ruling Earth, and Marids ruling Water.

So there's probably some neat stuff you could do with that.

Looking a little cross-eyed there, Shantae.

With all the hair whipping and spinning she does, i'm surprised she hasn't shaken anything loose.

>5th session of 3.5e campaign
>Random treasure tables
>My level 3 rogue finds and keeps a bottled djinn

>Everyone forgets about it

>Six months later
>Party all around lvl 18
>Accidentally a dark god
>Final boss battle of the campaign
>Everyone's about to die
>DJINNI.EXE
>DM lets the dice decide that the genie is good-aligned, and that I get three wishes
>Wish dark god back into its cage
>Wish dead party members back to life
>Wish us all swanky new hats

Better hope there's no badguy djinni hanging out with the dark god's surviving home boys.

The next villain should be the person that imprisoned that genie.

>Group of adventurers meet
>They decide to oppose the evil overlord guy that is turning everything into his empire
>An empire of evilness of course
>No matter how much they fight, the villian always seems to come on top
>He has bigger armies, the knowledge of the best treasures, knows every secret in the land
>The campaign is mostly the PC trying to catch up
>One day, the bad guy finnally wins and the party realize this is HIS world now
>One day, they find out about a genie that can grant any wish
>They track him and find him
>The genie is pretty detached from the whole situation, but since they found him he is willing to humor them
>They ask for the evil guy's damage to be undone
>Genie says that he won't do that, but he is willing to send the PCs back to the past to foil him
>They get to keep all the knowledge they have now, but they will lose everything they've gained from that moment
>Party agrees and asks to be sent back to the day they met
>Now they have to make make alliances with the people the evil guy originally managed to bring under his banner
>To claim the treasures that were previously already in the enemy's hands
>And to foil all of his plans with what they now know
>But the villian can adapt to their actions, and he is still as resourceful as ever
>They have to choose what to save, what to kill, what to spare, because even with all the foresight in the world, they can't save it all
There, a genie should be a plot device or an endgame goal.
Otherwise, it is just like you say it is

My setting lacks true gods. They haven't been born yet. Instead, ambitious angels, genies, fey, fiends, and other outsiders are the objects of worship.

Genies have banded together in noble houses and founded a caste religion/government, where they are at the top and everyone else gets assigned a caste. It's sort of Mughal Empire-ish.

>you will never play as half-genie searching the planes for her mom

There's a lot more to djinn/genies than just wishes and elemental planes, despite what the monster manual might tell you. I seriously suggest referring to this old thread for some ideas:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/18350298/

Djinn are, essentially, the Fair Folk of the Middle East, and are just as versatile a concept.

I can see why someone wanted to make a half-genie.

oglaf.com/simon/

Would it be too strange to have different kinds of fire djinn in a setting?

Oh yeah. The genie in a bottle/lamp trope that granted wishes was because of one thousand and one Arabian knights

Nope.

interesting fact: 1000 in middle eastern culture could also be used to mean infinity, so saying 1001 would mean past infinity

Well, technically it's a result of the story "The Fisherman and the Djinn" which Aladdin was probably a knockoff of. The bottle thing is genuinely a part of djinn mythology, but it wasn't thought that opening one = wishes. It meant freeing the djinn, and you just had to hope he was feeling gracious. In the original story of the fisherman, he was not.

That said, even if he was in a good mood and offered to grant your requests, medieval Arabians didn't seem to think djinn could just do anything. They weren't god. They had specific powers they could bend to your service, but those powers didn't include creating something from nothing. You wanted a shitton of treasure? They might just take some from the sheik's pleasure vaults and leave you holding the bag when the sheik's guards come by with questions.

Could you please help me brainstorm on some good differences, or why they would be separate? Outlook? Powers? It's hard to think of stuff when you're used to D&D Djinn.

Well, think of origins. Myth says the djinn came from "smokeless fire." That could mean a lot of things. Heatwaves rising off the ground, the hot winds of the desert sending dust devils chasing across the dunes, glowing embers that have stopped giving off visible smoke, atomic energy that glows and lets off heat but doesn't smoke, etc, etc.

Pick an origin first, then build on that.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy does a fantastic job with making a magic system for genies

I like the ideas that you're bringing up. There could be lots of weak djinn that are blamed for mirages and thirst out in the desert, and some 'nicer' djinn who are born from human fires and are more able to work alongside people, and may even be deified. And then there are 'forbidden djinn' buried deep in caves that glow with a sickly light and have great power, but also bring death and corruption.

Set limits. Traditional djinn don't just have cosmic, reality folding powers that allow them to produce anything asked for. They can move very fast. They're very strong. They can change shape. they can grow big or small. they can turn invisible. They can fly.

Have them use these skills to try and fulfill the player's requests to the best of their ability, but they HAVE to use these skills. If they can't pull it off, then they will cut corners and get as close as possible, and then the player will have to deal with the consequences.

>There will never be a third final part of this
Why even live

PC wants a wish? Gotta earn that shit. The genie probably has shit they want done, enemies on the elemental planes or in the material world, or maybe friends who need a favor--why not outsource it to the PCs?

There, free quest hook!

Plus, if/when they've succeeded in this task, the genie doesn't literally have to cast wish. They could just go out and fulfill that "wish" with their other abilities. For example--PC wants a castle? Genie calls up some genies and elementals and builds one overnight.

And there's always the option of the genie just saying no. They aren't bound to grant whatever wish they hear if they, in character, don't want to.

>>Wish us all swanky new hats

Severely underrated

Wait... what? It was a trilogy?

I've only read the first one

Those are his daughters, you fool.

And the whole thing is a test to see which of his "treasures" you'll take.

So he knows how to screw you over later

Man has his priorities in order.

So, uh, what happens if you request to marry one of his daughters?

That last sentence could either work really well or fuck up in the worst railroading/unintentional TPK ever.
I LOVE IT

I played a stacked dex Djinn in 3.5e for a semester. Planeshifting about when I was found out was neat. I enjoyed playing him a lot.

You talk with and go on supervised dates with each daughter so everyone can figure out who you'd be a good match for. Once it's been decided which of the djinn's daughters you're going to marry you can officially propose to her and ask for her father's permission to take her hand in marriage. After this you and your betrothed will occasionally be left alone in a room for brief periods of time, but don't get any funny ideas, this is a test of your character and any hanky-panky is strictly for after the wedding ceremony. The wedding will take place about 6-12 months after you received permission to marry her, during late spring or early summer when the weather's likely to be good. It will be a pretty big event where both your extended families attend.

You get One Night With The King in reverse, and magical.

Yo what happens if I crawl up inside that genie's smoke-hole?

Cancer.

>The Honeymoon is also a test of character. You didn't think it'd be that easy did you?

One of my PCs ended up in a pact with a djinn after he was offered a wish in return for freeing her and requested that she consider being his friend.
Not that she become his friend, that she consider the option.
Completely in character, but he's technically her errand boy now.

Wait, what? How does possibly considering him a friend turn to errand boyhood?

Typical genie dickery.
>"I'll consider it, and you're part of my court now so I can better reconsider it later."
He got sweet magic powers out of it, though, so it wasn't a complete loss.

It is a fantastic trilogy. There is also a prequel.

>Group finds a typical genie lamp being pedaled by someone who's totally not that undead dragon from the hellraiser series
>resident wizard rolls knowledge:arcana
>happens to know it probably contains some sort of magical entity
>barb makes a grab for it and everyone else jumps in
>in the commotion a hand inevitably rubs the lamp
>genie pops out and also has zero clue who fucking rubbed the lamp
>compromise on one MINOR wish for each since they couldn't decide on who would make 3 full wishes
>didn't even seem to cross their mind to let one make the wishes but the group decide on each wish
>fighter goes first and just asks for 10k gold
>the barb and cleric go next and do the same damn thing
>honestly i would have let them grab 100k at the least its a fucking wish even if it is minor
>nope the fucking rogue has the right idea
>wait what?
>he wants magic lockpicks that will instantly pick all non-magic locks
>suppose its better than fucking 10 grand
>okay here we go the paladin
>he seems level headed en-nope he wants a fucking duck
>do you mean some sort of magical duck?
>no....just a duck...okay....
>here we go the wizard
>if anyone can get his bang for his bucks its gotta be this prick
>tries that bullshit mathematics trick for infinite "less" wishes while trying to get the damned sorc to wish for "less" wishes to be counted as "whole" wishes
>okay fuck this gay shit
>genie turns the wizard into a duck and hands him to the paladin
>the sorc just asks for 10 grand
>genie flicks them all off and pops him and his lamp out of existence so he doesn't have to deal with mortals and their shit again
>paladin is the only one who comes out of it without feeling cheated
>afterwards have to explain shit to the party
>have to tell their dumbasses all the options they had

>could have decided as a group but had one make wishes, fucking sorc could have knowlege: plane checked to find out that genies hate trying to wish for more wishes saving the wizard, basically told them they could have asked for around ten times as much money or a cure for cancer or a god damned demigod tier weapon and i wouldn't have baulked

Courtesy of /wg/

Blessings be upon you.

And upon you be peace.

MR ADVENTURER WHAT WILL YOUR PLEASURE BEEEEEE

I'm currently playing as a genie in a Mutants & Masterminds campaign. His name is Mukhtar abd-al Khalid and he was tasked with Solomon himself with bettering the world. In this era, that means fighting crime with the awesome power of smokeless fire.

Yeah, weren't they just tireless beings with an assortment of basic magical powers?

Solomon didn't have them conjure the temple -- he had them build it, and because there were a lot of them and they didn't need to rest, they built it in a very short amount of time.

>"I can grant you 3 wishes"
>Uh, I kinda want to fuck you

Yeah I'd do that

There's also 'Declare' by Tim Powers.
A historical spy novel, but djinn are real, treated as bizarre alien remnants of the founding days of the world.

>omnipotence
>your hot genie ass as a sex slave
>and a nice cheesecake

>sex slave
>not loving wife

Shit taste famaladingdong

>sex slave
>loving wife
>not privileged alpha concubine of the harem who also serves as your magical advisor

>as if whores deserve rank
You're omnipotent. Every is equally below you at that point.

What is the term used when the stock is of mixed gender?

A clusterfuck.

If you're specifically using those two you've got a pretty obvious "cold fire" and "hot fire" dichotomy. They both burn, but different ways for different reasons.

Make cold fire more cunning, calculating, a planner and deceiver; and the hot fire ones are hot blooded and ready to rampage right now.

Or you could go with the weird pseudo-religious thing they had for a while, where djinn that used their abilities in service of God's plan were weaker, but protected, in a certain way. Whereas ones that were selfish and called upon the fires within them for their own ends could be very powerful, but could also be enslaved by mortal sorcerers.

Your power came from the whore's magic.

The whore giveth and the whore taketh away. You may scoff at this, but you treat that rack and magnificent ass with some damned respect.

And when you fuck, you put effort into it.

depends. I AM omnipotent now AND my second wish was that she be a slave. God like powers say i do whatever i want and you can't stop me and slave-master relationship is master says slave does. If i wanted equal partnership in this i would have used the second wish as a marriage proposal.

Nice, I chuckled.

You are doing it right

Precisely. Same in the original Aladdin story too: the djinn doesn't grant a set number of wishes, he just obeys whoever controls the lamp (or ring; there's a second djinn bound to an artifact in the story). The Djinn of the lamp, who is very powerful, still isn't godlike. Aladdin asks for a palace to be built overnight and the djinn calls in some of his extended family to help get the work done very quickly, but they still have to actually build it.

>She offers you three wishes
>You wish for her heart, her mind and her body

An Efreet hired my players to retrieve him a magic item that he was going to use to conquer every plane. They figured he was up to no good though, so they spent a good amount of time running from him, neglecting to remove the magic items he had given them. They had no idea for the longest time how he knew where they were at all times.

Had a few other genies either help or hinder them as the campaign went on.

>these three things are bestowed upon you separately

Genasi are the children of humans and genies in D&D right?

In jars

You turn into a duplicate of her. Your personality does not survive, because you have her heart. You memories do not survive, because you have her mind. You effectively cease to exist as a person.

That's why you wish for her body first. Then if you change into the genie, you can backtrack and get the other wishes under control.

Joke's on you, true vanilla love is my fetish.

And of course the bbeg previously used this genie, or might use the genie after the PCs foil him. Hundreds of diverging time lines of genie and counter genie shenanigans. The real campaign begins with new PCs, Chrononauts sent to undo the chaos before too many paradoxes are created.

What am I reading? Heterosexual sex in the missionary position?!

Because you love the other person?

OH GOD TOO MUCH

Will there be a 2nd season?

Is that an actual scene or just cleverly cut together?
And where's it from anyway?

Yes. Check the 2015 Fall animes.

No. Because the VA for the girl in died.

Shimoneta

Just hire a different one. It's not the end of the world.

Thank you. I was looking at those charts for what had come out during the fall of 2015, but didn't spot that character anywhere.

Genies, in their four elemental forms, are descendant from the third-oldest deity in the setting, the goddess of magic.
As she has gone mad in the X-thousand years since one of her descendants, a djinni princesses, was trapped, that princess was horrified and astounded by how much the world has changed. She's planning on taking steps to oppose this goddess, but at the moment is just too horrified by the situation as it is.

>think this was going to be young adult trash
>mfw

But OP Genie doesn't have a penis... Hell he barely even has a waist.

>Magical shape shifting genie
>no penis

Naw, he's got a point. He's just got some smoke from the waist down, never said shit about shape shifting.

What kind of genie doesn't shape shift?

why is this game so based lads.