One of my players rolled a 3 for his Charisma

One of my players rolled a 3 for his Charisma.

What would that even look like? How would people respond and react to them?

Other urls found in this thread:

sonichu.com/cwcki
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It looks like you should stop rolling stats.

People ignore him and talk to the paladin.

>the "rolling stats is bad, guis!!" meme
It looks like you should stop being a faggot.

he is the paladin

People treat him like a really annoying Jehovah's Witness

He's literally autistic.

Like a domesticated crocodile except 1.5 times as majestic.

Charisma is a blend of attractive features and personality. With a three they'd probably be unattractive with an unpleasant demeanor and a fairly boring personality.

He doesn't have to be really ugly, there just needs to be something really off-putting about him. An aura, if you will. He might carry himself in such a way that people and animals become distressed in his presence and he could be so bad at interacting with people as a result that he can't pick up on social cues.
In short, weird and autistic

This

I dunno what he should look like, but he should probably just act like he as aspergers or something.
I guess there's only a minimum for multiclassing as a paladin these days, but that's still pretty dumb

i hope not

He doesn't necessarily have to look super ugly physically. There are other ways of being repulsive. I always felt that charisma has more to do with force of personality and how you use your looks than anything. There are great looking peoole out there who are obnoxious, mousey, or just hard to deal with in general. Likewise there are old, diseased, or plain ugly people who are incredibly inspiring.

>mental stats under 10

If you aren't 100% confident in your players' ability to actually play that character, don't let them do it.

OP here, he's a druid. I do 4d6 drop, and he rolled well except for a 7 and a 3. He put the 7 in INT and the 3 in CHA.

We figured those would make the most sense, given that he grew up in the wild. I'm just trying to figure out the best way of having people react to him.

Ramsay Bolton

A donkey or bat have 4 CHA, octopus has exactly 3.

Like anyone would react to a nearly feral person with little in the way of hygiene and a great deal of ignorance regarding things not of the wild. His subpar linguistic skills should be enough to throw most people off.

Well I guess he's just some sort of Rain Man

Like he's a crazy hobo who lives in the woods

Because he basically is

Oh yeah, he's just autistic as fuck, then. Like a feral child with literally no social awareness. Have him randomly sniff people, touch their faces, urinate in public, smell very strange, and constantly misread people and situations.

Anthony Burch

>being a goobergater
cute

He would be quite horrible.

In terms of looks, he'd range from something that could pass for a particularly ugly to begin with survivor of three seperate flesh eating fungal infections, to just that kind of uncanny valley kind of face that you see once in a while, giving everyone two stink eyes while lurking at the back of the store when not even the workers will approach them. I don't want to look for examples.

In terms of personality, they'd range from pure, raw abrasiveness to that kind of person with near zero sense for social cues that manages to somehow, somehow unintentionally stab every social finger in the house while playing the knife game on their own hand. Draws a very raw hatred like garbage draws flies. The fucking blue bear from the LOL threads on /v/ is a strong example of this in particular.

In terms of force of personality, they'd be a massive pushover, but not even in any kind of satisfying or ignorable fashion, it'd be the kind of pushover that gives others that awful, sickly feeling in their stomach just from the interaction. Like there's something inherently off, broken about the whole thing, rather, them. Again, not going to go look for examples.

someone with high charisma is usually either

very charming, to the point where everyone wants to hang out with him/her
or
very intimidating (intimidating != scary or menacing)

guy with 3 CHA is neither, he's probably awkward to be around and suck at anything social

Hes Tarzan,

It looks like you need to lurk more autismo

>You have to be a goobergater to think Burch is a loser
Got your wii u back yet, bruddah?

OP, you have to understand that a 3 is INHUMANLY bad.
SOME animals have stats that low.

You know that one guy who, objectively, you know means well but manages to tear apart any sort of social connection he could create, and generally pisses people off?

that's him.

He looks and sounds like a douchebag, no matter what he's actually doing or saying.

I'm not stating it as a meme.
I believe rolling stats in DnD is generally foolish.

houserule it as a curse placed on him which means that everyone who looks at him thinks he looks like a criminal/guy who might be fucking their wife/that one bully from 3rd grade.

>rolling for stats

No it's not you fag. Charisma is personality.

Even if he says something true and wise, people should ignore him because "there's no way THAT CRETIN could contribute anything"
People actively ignore/avoid him. If he's speaking, others will talk over him like you would talk over a barking dog or mewling cat.
If others are forced to listen to him, they always take what he says in the worst way.
>"If you don't tell us where the bandit camp is, their prisoners will die"
>"OH SHIT! This hobo is threatening to kill the prisoners! He's with the bandits and playing a cruel joke on us!"

>memeing

>What would that even look like?

like this.

(warning: may make you feel sick)

This is a head shot of a person with Leprosy if you are wondering.

More or less Chris-chan

It's not a meme, rolling for stats is really, really stupid thing to do.

Tarzan has a goddam 18 CHA

Intimidation is based off Charisma as well. That guy would have retard-high Charisma with how everyone loves him as soon as he opens his mouth.

He just has a fear aura or something.

Charisma is not just appearance, its a combination of three things
>personality
how well you can communicate and relate to others. Low CHA means that the character has problems forming relationships and trouble getting along with other people
>Force of personality
low charisma means that it is very difficult for a character to ever convince someone of something or win an argument. They lack self-confidence and have low self-esteem
>appearance
low charisma means the character doesn't meet the standards of attractiveness due to defect, disease, injury, etc.

Use varying degrees of these three aspects to create the desired effect. Think of each d6 contributing to the total score as a rating of each aspect on a 1-6 scale and define accordingly.

>It's an "opinions I don't like are just memes" meme

die

No no, he's scary, just in the way a screaming, zitty teenager with a gun and something to prove is scary.

Calm down, uɐʇɐs.

>4d6 drop 1
>still has a 3

That's pretty unlucky.

Anyway, make him a normal person with unbearable body odor. Being a wild man of the woods nobody ever told him to wash his balls.

>A donkey or bat have 4 CHA

Would that be like Promethian tier from WoD?

He's one of those feral kids people find in the woods

Seems about right.

sonichu.com/cwcki

I imagine even your average fictional feral kid having significantly more than a 3.

At least 7.

With a charisma of three? He's scary in the way that a mumbling, shaking kid with a gun that he's pointing at the floor while trying not to make eye contact is.

Pretty much this. If your character really has cha 3 in D&D that puts them as somewhere between an animal and an inanimate carbon rod. Hell, even a necromantically reanimated skeleton is CHA 5 iirc.

yeah buddy, we aren't talking about some cute disney feral kid. we are talking about a real feral; no language skills, no social conditioning, a goddamn wild beast.
they piss everywhere to mark their territory. they steals food and attacks anyone they see as threatening. they reek. they don't understand consent, they don't understand law, they don't understand society. the party has to keep them on a literal leash.

I had a hunch.

On a somewhat relevant topic, have you ever had a druid player say their character was literally raised in the woods with no real contact with the outside world, and them the moment the party reaches a town they start buying equipment and enjoying cooked food and sleeping in beds? Even the Deltora series did better than that.

he is literally a forest Hobo, he is completely devoid of human interaction, and thinks mostly in the communication patterns of the tree octopus

>no sense of personal space
>no sense of personal property
>may be able to learn due to wisdom or int, but will never truly understand or be able to replicate these norms

I miss ed

Well, we've all seen the great results of rolling for stats in the OP. But if you can give us one advantage to this method over regular point allotment other than 1st ed DnD nostalgia, please do.

I have had a few players roll druids that were ostensibly supposed to be wild men/women, but in those cases I have been pleased with their ability to act batshit insane in civilized company.

it makes for more diverse characters. It requires players to work around weaknesses and capitalize on unexpected strengths. I'm not saying the method is better than point buy mind you, i just think it does have some advantages depending on what you want to get out of the character construction process.
different strokes for different folks, you know?

A perfect comrade, then?

>Posting a picture of Jackson Galaxy in a thread about low charisma
I mean no doubt, the guy looks pretty weird, but he's genuinely really likeable. Really knows his shit about cats, too.

Either that or a gypsy.

Nah, it's not. You just can't handle reality. Reality is, some people (like you) have a 3 Charisma. That's how the world works.

> inb4 muh "wah wah I wanna play a hero so I should have all 18s"

Not a Druid, but in WoD: Vampire game we had Nosferatu with all the dots in Animalism living in the sewers that operated through his animal minions.

Character creation perks provide that without the risk destroying the character.
Since I just visited the 40krpg thread, I'm gonna take Dark Heresy as an example, where your homeworld and background gives you different affinities and slight bonuses and maluses to your stats, that can result in a less than optimized character depending on your role, but never something like "barbarian with 4 str and 3 con".
You can still have create such a character, but it has to be a conscious choice.

Is that Zee Garcia?

Typical /r9k/tard.

Charisma isn't just look's. Its also social awkwardness, poor social judgments for example.

I've never really been able to buy into the idea that high charisma is directly tied to physical beauty. Many of the most compelling leaders in history weren't much to look at.

The guy in this picture ain't exactly a supermodel, but he's working the crowd like a boss. It could be the authority of his position, but it could also be that he's an incredibly stirring and charismatic speaker.

if someone is telling you that charisma and attractiveness are the same thing then you are being fed bad information.

>What would that even look like?

lurk moar newfaggot
this fucking retarded meme is spewed by half of Veeky Forums

are you being ironic right now, or are you actually this toxic?

But I loved Master Blaster.

Do you think that makes his point any less true, or are you agreeing with him?

Wouldn't rolling for stats increase the likelihood of someone having obscenely high stats across the board?

With point-buy, you need to take away from other stats to get your primary up to 18.

With 7 int he might just be smart enough to know he should never speak, but with that low of cha he probably says stupid annoying shit any ways.
Honestly should most likely be the parties problem creator, probably ask your player if he's willing to be that guy.

> What would that even look like?
Autistic neckbeard with hygiene problems.

No, he isn't being ironic. There have been a great many threads and individual posts on Veeky Forums over the years that have insinuated or debates the merits of physical beauty in regards to the CHA stat. I've personally always felt that CHA has no effect on physical attractiveness, and that it is only a measure of how features such as physical attractiveness are capitalized on via force of personality.

Instead, a lot of people espouse this idea of a universal standard of beauty and apply it directly to the CHA stat, so a person with very low CHA would have to be the opposite of that.

Seems as good a place to ask this as any other.
Under this system how would you stat the following characters?
>PC is handsome, like his face was sculpted by the gods themselves. He is so socially retarded that can make the thirstiest wench dry up like a desert

>PC is ugly as sin, like he was hit with a barbed, crooked ugly stick. He is also such a personable chap that once you get over his hideousness you'll never want him to go away

>PC can't keep a conversation for shit, he also looks as bad as the previous example. The moment he stands in front of you and leers into your eyes you WILL pee your pants unless you are some supernatural being, and even then...

I played the second one as a guy with lots of charisma but with a heavy penalty to first impressions. Reason why he used a mask when in public, but i want to hear how would you make these characters work.

ironic and unironic at the same time senpai
toxicity is forced, its almost a knee jerk reaction.

But its really true that a lot of people here on Veeky Forums think that Charisma = Looks.
I mean look at OP's
>What would that even look like
...and most of the thread.

Do i agree with it?
Hell fucking no.
Its dumb as fuck.
I had my best characters ugly as fuck and with high as charisma as it goes. Most of my BBG are like that for example.

>I played the second one as a guy with lots of charisma but with a heavy penalty to first impressions. Reason why he used a mask when in public
This guy gets it.

For some reason, despite having only a few lines each I found myself getting attached to the adventurers in DD very easily. Especially the houndmaster, and how his injury portrait is him shielding his trusty dog.

>tfw Madman uses Accusation on Houndmaster

That said, I can see how some people do build their charisma off of looks, and if that feature is taken away they'd suffer a penalty for it.

If someone built their incredible to the point of being uncanny charisma on physical beauty, inspiring speech, and genius fighting ability and then lost all three, along with all hope... Well, that would be tragic.

There honestly should be a separate roll for beauty. Charisma has nothing to do with looks.

There is a reason why most setting's don't do it tho. Stats are there to represent an objective value for external actions. How character, armour or monster looks is up to individual players subjectively and GM should just nudge them into that direction.

Why even roll for beauty? It's as much appearance as hair color or eye color. It doesn't mean anything for stats aside from being a second, narrower Cha.

Charisma shouldn't equal beauty, but if you want you can use it as a guideline. You can make a handsome suave hero, or an ugly but well-spoken sorcerer. It all depends on how much talking and charisma-related things you plan to do with the character.

>rolling stats

Gonna go ahead and say people who don't roll stats are just pussies playing make believe instead of actually playing the game

>But its really true that a lot of people here on Veeky Forums think that Charisma = Looks.

No, it's a lot of people understand that appearance is a component of charisma, you ugly person you.

And that's because it's true. Ugly people need to compensate more.

a 3 Charisma character would look like Corporal "Nobby" Nobbs from the Discworld novels.