/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Corprus Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
No waifus or husbandos except Vehk and Vehk
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

imperial-library.info/content/consolations-prayer
youtube.com/watch?v=go27bgPJTPY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A bit early this week?

It's always up on Fridays.
Besides, at least he didn't' spend the weekdays making MK threads.

Okay then.

Lore-wise, should getting infected with Corprus cure you from Vampirism and Lycanthropy?

Good question, as are most questions I cant really answer. I'd say it depends.
In Skyrim, what we learn is although you can't necessarily get infected with other diseases if you are a vampire or werewolf, if you choose to get get a pure version of the disease it can push the other disease out and let you change.

What we see in Morrowind is you can be a vampire or a werewolf and catch Corpus, despite being immune to disease. However it's not really clear if that's a gameplay thing or not.

I'd just assume that you'd just end up a werewolf or vampire with corpus.

It's hard to imagine though, as Vampirism and Corprus have opposite effects on body.

you can have Aids and leukemia (not exactly opposite but you know)

Not really comparable. Corprus makes your flesh go crazy and grow uncontrollably with amazing energy and regenerative power, while Vampirism makes it shriveled, dry and unable to regenerate without consuming blood. Both make you immortal but in opposite ways.

Progeria has a link with certain cancers. That's kinda shriveling up and uncontrollable growth

Please elaborate. How does almost-dead and too-alive flesh mix together?

I wonder about the nature of Corprus and how Divayth Fyr only cured the bad part of it.

The blight and corprus are seperate things, right? The blight itself is spread by the ash storms conjured up by Dagoth Ur and infects both animals people alike, but it can be cured (atleast its early stages) by potions. Corprus on the other hand seems to be a way more specific form of blight and is often refered to as the "divine disease". Now I figure we could split it up to two parts; the blight part and the magical part. The latter granting immunity to other diseases and age but the former warping the flesh and mind like the regular blight does; could it be that the divine aspect of corprus is what keeps the afflicted alive, stopping them from dying because of the horrendous changes to their physical form like the victims of the regular blight? This would mean that Divayth Fyr managed to cook up a cure for the disease without touching its divine/magical aspect rather than just inventing a miracle potion that suppresses the negatives for eternity (which would require more than a single dose anyway since I assume ES circulatory systems work like ours, and it wasn't a vaccine).

Or maybe I'm just full of shit.

In very simple terms: what prevents cells from going wild breaks as part of the total breakdown and so some cells go wild

Is that dragon a real thing or made up?

Either way, corprus dragons would be really fucking scary.

Fun fact of the day: Dragons are somehow very knowledgeable in Enchanting.

There's so many cool unused stuff in Adam's concept art.

It would make sense for Imperial Legion armor in Skyrim to have nordic influences, having added furs and a cool dragon helmet.

Also wish we could've done more training with the Greybeards, kinda like a guild.

Guilds in Skyrim were pretty bad in general, they were less about doing odd jobs and working through the ranks but it was just a questline where you became owner at the end.

A hunting guild would've been cool too.

Corprus is a blessing, not a disease.

There's also the fact that this potion only ever worked on a certain someone.

It's a fanart, but I agree, corprus dragon would be glorious.

That corprus dragon would probably fuck Alduin up harder than the Dragonborn could

Nah. Alduin is Alduin.

That's a matter of perspective. I'm sure a follower of Peryite believes Ataxia or Bone Break Fever to be a blessing.

TES has some nasty sounding diseases. For me, anything that has the word "rot" in it sounds particularly horrible.
We have; Blood Rot, Brain Rot, Brown Rot, Rotbone, Stomach Rot, Swamp Rot and Wound Rot.

Why does praying at a shrine cure most diseases?

I get why it wouldn't cure lycanthropy or vampirism - those are sort of divine diseases like Corpus, since they come from Hircine and Molag Bal - but praying at any shrine, Tribunal saint or Divine, cures diseases despite most divines/saints not having such spheres of influence.

Fucking Russians.
It does cure both Vampirism and Lycanthropy during their incubation period.

Gameplay reasons.

So how do you canonically become a lich before/after Mannimarco?

If you're going to tell me about horse's heart and shit, I'm going to punch you.

Daggerfall also had the good old cholera, typhoid, leprosy and tuberculosis.

Pre-Mannimarco - Dragon Priest style or Ayleid Wizard-King style
Post-Mannimarco - pray for the Worm God and he will deliver.

What about a shitton of liches in Daggerfall then? And I'm not talking about the obvious gameplay aspect of random spawns, I'm talking about the fact that there are liches who obviously became liches with some other technique.

Mannimarco taught them?

You just have to delve deeply enough into necromancy and other dark magic. This was true with Mannimarco himself, so it applies pre and post.

Are you saying that there might be a way to become a lich without worshipping the King of Worms in the later eras?

It's by and far a gameism. Both in lore and in tone, it's very much assumed that most people can't just press X at a shrine and be healed, much less receive a blessing. The Temple of Kynareth in Whiterun wouldn't have to care for the sick if singular prayer could heal them. The Thrassian Plague wouldn't have been devastating if disease was cured by bowing your head and saying some mantra. The reasons go on and on.

That isn't to say that faith and blessings can't heal you, they likely can, it's just more of a miracle than a rule. You'd do better to find a good healer.

As well as more creative stuff, like Sai's Affliction. Which is just a crippling gambling addiction.

Tharn had a gaggle of Liches in Arena.

>Lore-wise, should getting infected with Corprus cure you from Vampirism and Lycanthropy?
Corprus renders you immune to natural disease by elevating your flesh unto a thing divine, but neither Vampirism nor Lycanthropy nor Corprus are proper "diseases" in any sense but the most liberal use of the word. Rather, they are the divine influence of Molag Bal, Hircine, and Lorkhan respectively upon mortal flesh, which is twisted to accommodate power that it was never meant to hold; the rules for how they work and what they can infect are not very concrete. In Morrowind, you get to see areas where the very geography has been "infected" by Corprus, and in volume 6 of the 16 Accords of Madness there is mention of a daedra that has been infected by lycanthropy. We can pretty confidently say that simply being immune to disease isn't enough to prevent you from catching any of those three.

tl;dr: It wouldn't cure it or prevent it, but having multiple would probably lead to an excruciating death.

It's rather interest how the necessities of the game and the realities meant to be presented in the game world clash.

Somebody should really make a mod that removes cure and restoration from the shrines, leaving only blessings. Would make interaction with actual healers more meaningful.

The worse thing would be becoming something truly immortal, but forever torn apart by conflicting diseases. Like a pile of vampiric corprus flesh, burning in the sun and endlessly regenerating.

What are those armor pieces on the sides of the belt called?

Daggerfall didn't heal you with shrines, but rather you could pay temple healers to cure you. That said, a lot of what has to do with diseases, health and healing appears to be gameplay more than anything else, to the point were it's largely hardly usable as lore. It's better to just look at NPCs, books and dialogue to try to figure out things related to health and healing.

>Like a pile of vampiric corprus flesh, burning in the sun and endlessly regenerating
Nah, that wouldn't be too bad. The Corprus would have completely destroyed your mind long before it reduced your body to a puddle of cancer, so at least you wouldn't be able to comprehend your suffering.

Probably because you're the hero and prophecised to be very important. Maybe there's a divine plan or two and you falling ill and dying isn't part of it?

That's one thing I like about Knights of the Nine, how you had to go on a pilgrimage to the wayshrines before you could pray at altars in cities and if you had negative karma you'd get the feeling of gods being pissed off at you and rejecting your pleas for help.

imperial-library.info/content/consolations-prayer

Those would be tassets.

The Tribunal aren't widely worshiped outside of Morrowind though.

St. Jiub somehow got well-known enough for a fair. Probably because he actually came to Cyrodiil.

Just saying, healing apparent isn't granted onty to the Player.

Probably also because he was from Cyrodiil.

Fair enough. The whole donation thing would be a good reason only beggars seem to be sick.

Unlike Tribunal Temple, the Imperial Cult doesn't even provide for the poor. Just check their quests in Morrowind - Temple is all about pilgrimages and curing people, while Cult is more interested in collecting money and questing for artifacts.

I remember when I did the Imperial Cult quests in Morrowind and I was able to breeze through one persons entire quest list in about a minute by giving him gold right then and there.

To be fair to the Imperials, it's not as if the Cult is widespread in Morrowind. Most people are unbelievers and would rather go to the Temple, who of course has a far more vested interest in the worship of the people of Morrowind, which helps keep their false-gods strong (I think).

While genuine vampirism is very much a unique kind of disease, porphyric hemophilia, the precursor disease, does behave like a "normal" infection, and as such, a person with corpus would be rendered essentially immune to developing vampirism. Because of the way in which lycanthropy is developed, which bypasses any sort of "mundane" illness, corpus would likely not interfere with it.

It may be possible to have both corpus and vampirism if the latter is obtained in a more "direct" method, IE drinking a vampire's blood, though this is purely speculation.

>Because of the way in which lycanthropy is developed, which bypasses any sort of "mundane" illness, corpus would likely not interfere with it.
>what is Sanies Lupinus

One of the quests in oblivion's dark brotherhood questline involves killing a guy in the process of transferring his soul into a phylactery in order to become a lich

Which probably would have been more menacing if lichs were actually dangerous in that game but still. Shows there are some non-divine ways to go about it.

He got the info on how to do it from Manny though.

You could also contract it by way of rape.

Whoops, I forgot all about bloodmoon, I was just thinking of skyrim

True, but simply receiving knowledge is different than a direct intervention in the processes

Speaking of Mannimarco, has any explanation been given as to how he could exist as both god and mortal? Was the guy who showed up in the oblivion crisis just an imposter, or did he both ascend and not ascend thanks to the time fuckery in the warp in the west, or maybe something else?

The most common interpretation is that the Jills have mended the WitW Dragon Break in such a way there are two Mannimankos now - the God of Worms and the King of Worms.

Do the main quest, and then do Bloodmoon. You still get it regardless of your resistance.

>Corprus makes your flesh go crazy and grow uncontrollably with amazing energy and regenerative power

Would corprus lorewise affect argonians worse, since they already have an innate healing power? Or would it have weird effects on them, since they're already very magically modified creatures themselves?

... Actually, if we wanted to assume the idea that the Hist can control the argonians to turn them into a crazy hive mind army during emergencies, would they still be able to do that with corprus-infected argonians?

You get Sanies Lupinus, exactly.

God, whoever wrote Oblivion Mannimarco quest was a fucking hack. Unless the pic is what they were going for.

I think at least part of it was that whoever was put to work on it ended up being more limited than they expected to be in terms of making NPCs more distinct and imposing. That and the hard "nobody is allowed to summon more than one thing at a time" rule that could have made that fight actually halfway difficult.

More limited than they expected to be, that is

>Before
Sell your souls
>After
Turn into a skinny elf

A better ending might have been that the whole thing was a ploy by Falcar to trick Traven into killing himself, in revenge for banning necromancy from the guild. "And now I'm going to do what I should have done the moment you set foot in my guild hall!" or something like that.

They could've at least made him one of those large Daedra or something.

youtube.com/watch?v=go27bgPJTPY

Not this pretentious faggot again.

I don't know how I feel about this guy.

What I'm saying is even though it's pathology is similar to a regular disease in a lot of ways, it's different in other ways as well, to the point where not even Corpus protects you.

This guy is a big pink sack of autism. I stopped watching as soon as he brought up Arena's geography.

Something about this guy's face makes me hate him even more than i should hate him.

I think it's the fact that he dresses up in a suit and slicks back his hair while talking about videogames.

Post comfy art

So the House of Earthly Delights is a bakery that specializes in sweet rolls, right?

I've always wondered how two moons would affect the tides of Nirn.

Are Secunda and Masser always together?

Secunda orbits Masser, not Nirn, so yes.

This is so good. I need moar!

I went to Suran once, as I had to run some errands, it smelled of filth and fear. I didn't like it.

Is TESO lore-friendly?

We don't know.

Morrowind had pretty good lore on diseases and their symptoms though.

Here is one example:
>Swamp fever is a mild common disease affecting the victim's strength and behavior. It may be contracted from the mudcrab. The symptoms include high body temperature and delirium, but there are no easily visible signs.

Do you think he's still alive? Corpus makes you immortal doesn't it.

Maybe, not a lot of life escaped Vvardenfell before it was totally destroyed. Though it is possible that he would survive an ordeal, albeit with the chance that he's trapped under volcanic rock forever.

I'm 99% sure corpus just makes you ageless, not removing entirely the need to eat or drink

>hot 'n horny dark elf bitches will never be real
kill me

>You will never get to experience Dunmeri belly magic.
>You will never become the chosen one and unite the Dunmeri people, exponentially increasing Dunmer bitches that would be into you.

If you like C0DA then he is indeed alive and will make explosive comeback as pic. related.

There seems to be a guy with Wraithguard watching the show. Nerevarine?

Is daggerfall still playable?

I suppose.

It's always been playable. Except when there was a huge bug, but that's been gone for years.