Dune Campaign

If you were to (or have previously) run a Dune campaign, how would you go about doing it? During a certain time period? What roles would the players take? Canon-friendly or headcanon for a little more freedom?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?684903-Creating-Dune-esque-Ancient-Schools
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Probably during the Jihad between Dune and Dune Messiah.

Probably something during or after the Scattering, following the death of the Tyrant. That seems like the most exciting and dynamic period in the setting.

If I wanted a game about feudal politics and intrigue, something before the events of the first book would be my first choice. Maybe a mission to assassinate someone, or something where the players got to create and manage their own House Minor.

>Atreides
>White

Canon friendly setting during the Butlerian Jihad.

My first choice would be about political intrigue and have the players take on the roles of a house leadership or tge agents of a house (or switching between both).
This would obviously be set either before the events of the first book, or during the reign of leto ii. for maximum player agency. This would, in both cases, mean that canon has to be adapted according to the players impact on the setting.

My second choice would be some fremen or smuggler operation during the 80 years reign of the harkonnen scum, swashbuckling on the sandy seas.

Then you could always play some rogue-trader-ish type game in a post leto II

Also that, whatever the players do cant be worse than what the books did to the series.

Honestly, the continuation books are better than any of Frank Herbert's work past book 3. The whole series was steadily downhill until it hit the shitheap with Chapterhouse Dune. At least the prequel trilogy is a hell of a lot more consistent.

Seeing as i am currently re-reading the series in english i will see soon for myself.
All i know is that the german translations are fucking awful.
But i remember the story being dumbed down a lot with the prequels, and a lot of "hey remember this namedrop from the original book?" wich pissed me off a lot

>>Atreides
>>White
Ancient Greek is White, yes, and Herbert reiterates the Atreides trait as Greek genes in Heretics.

To be fair, it's pretty heavily implied in the original series that basically everyone of any importance has ties to important people during the machine crusade, so I wouldn't doubt that all of those people doing all of those things were in Frank Herbert's notes. For example, I can all but guarantee that the outline of the origin of the Atreides/Harkonnen rivalry was written out before the first book.

>Ancient Greek is White, yes

It's not though.

>Greeks
>White

You are right, but i think i misphrased it a bit. I didnt mean that the namedropping itself was bad, but more the amount of it. and even more than the amount of it was how plump it was.
Sometimes it literally just felt like "hey see this? Remember this? You know this, right? You liked the originals right? RIGHT?"

They were and are regardless of your "feelings" on the matter, tumblerellas.

It's so hard to tell if you're arguing with some kind of afro-centrist lunatic or /pol/ tier racist when discussing the race of people from the Mediterranean shores.

One day Americans will be wiped off the Internet.
It will be a good day.

Don't you have some german money to waste?

I get what you're saying, I had the same problem with Star Trek: Into Darkness. What I'm trying to say is that it's not really a case like that, where all of these references were shoehorned in where they didn't belong. I think it came more from Frank Herbert's own notes that detailed the creation of an empire that immediately suppressed technological advancement and stagnated for millennia. The reason so many people relevant in the past are the direct ancestors of the people who are important in the present is that there's near-zero social mobility in the empire, which was pretty much a mummified corpse since the day it began.

Actually, it's a lot like reading the Horus Heresy books and thinking that there's a lot of name dropping for 40k characters, which strikes me as a great analogy considering how heavily 40k draws from Dune.

Or, to try to make the same argument in a slightly different but shorter way: the reason the prequels exclusively follow people and events (usually together) that are important in the original series is because they're just fleshing out existing notes that Frank Herbert had already written as backstory for his books. Things that weren't important to the original Dune series didn't get notes, so they didn't get plot arcs in the prequels.

Pay denbts

It's why I always hate it when that "it's basically just the same families, over and over again". It turns a huge world into a tiny one. I turns an epic with a grand sweep of space and time into a drama you could stage in a parlor there are so few actors that really matter.

It's particularly bad for Dune, because Dune felt huge. It felt like this vast distant universe with it's own history and culture, and that's a huge part of the appeal.

Especially with the vendetta between harkonnen and atreides i feel like it lessens the imact if that shit went on for literal millenia, without any resolve, rather than something that is still somewhat close and personal.

personally I wouldn't use the actual Dune setting for a bunch of reasons, instead I'd probably use this setting as I feel it hits a lot of good Dune aspects while being it's own thing and also being a lot more RPG friendly in my opinion;

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?684903-Creating-Dune-esque-Ancient-Schools

>in desert
>super tight clothes

russians =/= greeks

that's a stillsuit, sort of secondary artificial skin that captures moisture and is refrigirated (they don't say it anywhere in the books, but it fuctionally has to be)
they are supposed to wear baggy burqa-esque rags over it, but that's ugly and uncool

Do you not lurk on /pol/ user? They have flags man. All the white countries know who's what. Only the mud colored one stir up shit.

Ex: Greek is talking about dirty Turk and how he must give back clay.

Turk says fuck off, and to pay debts.

Greek states how he is white and therefore a 100% better than mudmonkey turk.

Some australian fag comes along and posts a meme with two dark rapist looking men. Theyre greek and turkish.

And than /pol/ spends the whole day making fun of that Greek by saying he's a mudmonkey too.