Shinigami Savant Quest #61

You are Kusajishi Riku, Captain of the Seireitei Court Guard's Ninth Division. The Head Captain has called a meeting of your peers, likely in order to plan the next steps in dealing with the rogue zanpakuto Muramasa. Being the only shinigami alive to have faced that sword's original wielder in battle and lived to tell of it, he may even have detailed knowledge that could be key this time around.

Several of the First Division barracks' towers are still damaged from the intense fighting when you arrive with Gin, Yoruichi, and Rangiku in tow – there wasn't a call for Lieutenants, but you figured the top officers from each Division have a shared interest in hearing what the Head Captain has to say. So it's no surprise to you that you find the rest of your Commandos waiting for your group, along with Lieutenant Hinamori. The latter immediately begins to fuss about your son's obviously poor condition, and calls a relief team in to the barracks.

A sixth man with a straw hat and a wooden badge bearing the interlocking rectangle design of the Onmitsukidō stands nearby, looking distinctly uncomfortable. A new Lieutenant?

“Saidō,” Yoruuichi nods. “What're you looking at me like that for?”

“No reason, ma'am,” the shinigami sighs. “Well, I guess... why am I here?”

“Because I needed to appoint someone and you were the first officer I ran into with the appropriate qualifications.”

Saidō frowns. “So are you saying it may as well have been anyone else?”

“No, of course not!” Yoruichi scoffs. “Like I said, Saidō, you were the first I ran into. If you suck at the job as bad as the last three guys who had it I'll let you go back to your regular duties, but until then could you at least try and give it a real effort?”

“Now come on, the meeting's about to start.”
>1/4

Hype

“Do you know that fellow?” Gin asks as you head inside. You shake your head.

“If I'd ever seen him he was probably wearing a mask, Gin,” you explain. “So no. Name doesn't ring any bells either.”

“Seems a lot of the Lieutenant and Captain material's been picked over,” Rangiku concludes quietly as she takes her position to your right and a pace behind. Your fellow Captains and their Lieutenants do the same, or at least the ones who can be present do so. Across from you from right to left are the representatives from the even-numbered Divisions: Suì Fēng, without her Lieutenant for now, Unohana and her skyscraper of a Lieutenant Kotetsu, an awkwardly empty space where Byakuya would normally stand behind which Renji has taken up his usual position, Shunsui with his perpetually annoyed-looking Lieutenant Ise Nanao, the youngest Captain Hitsugaya and his fierce-looking Lieutenant Kano, and at the far left the giant Captain Komamura with your former Commando Tetsuzaemon.

Your own side has an impressive list of officers as well, though it's much more severely depopulated. Your adopted son Gin and his Lieutenant Hinamori and Seventh Division's Lieutenant Kira Izuru stand to your right, while behind you are your daughter and Lieutenant Rangiku as well as your Commandos: Nikko Kai, Mirai, Kuchiki Rukia, and Shūhei Hisagi. To your left stands the imposing figure of 11th Division Captain Zaraki Kenpachi, with his diminutive pink-haired Lieutenant Yachiru and top-seated officers Madarame and Ayasegawa, and Captain Ukitake with your adoptive sister-in-law Shiba Miyako acting as his Lieutenant.

Absent are the 7th Division's Captain as well as any representative of the 5th Division, and like Sasakibe and Gin many present have injuries that are only partially healed. Medical staff stand by in the corners in case anyone needs them.
>2/4

At the head of the room stands the Head Captain with his own Lieutenant Sasakibe, whose mustache is covered at present with a white bandage wrap that also covers much of his head, and at the far end stand three more Captains: Yoruichi and Saidō from the Onmitsukidō, your other adoptive sister Shiba Kaoru and your former Commando Ichinose, and finally Urahara Kisuke, back from exile. In a bizarre move, Urahara has brought with him Kurotsuchi Nemu, artificial “daughter” of the defector Kurotsuchi Mayuri.

You aren't the first to notice her presence.

“Why have you brought this woman with you, Urahara Kisuke?” the Head Captain grumbles, sending a deadly glare at Kurotsuchi.

Kisuke sighs, scratching absentmindedly at the back of his neck. “Well, Mayuri was quite an odd fellow you see. So much so that in order to truly sort through his various 'projects' and their results from over the years I need the help of someone he trusted with the details.”

“All other considerations aside miss Nemu is that someone.”

“Very well,” Yamamoto nods sternly. “However I trust you understand the penalty if she is even suspected of treason?”

Kisuke's benign presentation shifts immediately, and his expression darkens. “Believe me, Head Captain. I'm well aware how severe the Soul Society's laws can be.”

“Then it is settled!” the Head Captain concludes loudly in what Yoruichi refers to as his 'official business voice'.

“From this point let it be known that Urahara Kisuke will be reinstated at the rank of Captain, and will resume his duties as Head of the Research and Development Institute.”
>3/4

“That's well and good,” Shunsui sighs, “but what unit's he gonna command? The SRDI and Onmitsu have been separated from their respective Divisions for a century or so... even if we filled the vacancies that way how will we organize it all?”

“I don't care,” Zaraki admits in a dangerous growl. “All I wanna know is how strong this new guy is... unless my brain's finally gone to mush he got banished around the same time I killed that Kiganjo loser, so I've never seen him fight. And even if he WAS a criminal, being a lousy fighter would be worse.”

“I must admit to some curiosity myself,” Hitsugaya frowns. “I've heard a little about his banishment, but nothing about his qualifications. It makes it difficult to even consider trusting you... no offense intended, Captain.”

Kisuke shrugs. “None taken. I'd have my doubts too.”

>Kisuke, maybe a brief display of your credentials is in order?
>I think I know which Division could suit Kisuke (write-in)
>Don't we have more important things than personnel issues to discuss?
>Other?

>>Don't we have more important things than personnel issues to discuss?
Fucking Christ captains but not surprised.

Hey King.

>>Don't we have more important things than personnel issues to discuss?
If Kenny wants to get taken apart in a spar afterwards it's his funeral.

>Other?
Zaraki, it's a kind of fight that you probably won't enjoy. If it ever reaches that point that a fight would be necessary, that is. That's just the kind of guy Kisuke is.

>writing

Just to add, if a Division is in dire need of a Cap'n, I'd suggest 5th just for the irony of it.

Though, I personally wouldn't have them deployed in the front just yet.

“It's not going to be the type of fight you'd enjoy, Zaraki,” Suì Fēng smirks across the room. “He'd probably cut off your limbs and sew them back on in the wrong places, or something like that.”

Urahara forces an uncomfortable laugh... you wonder if maybe the Second Division Captain just got a little closer to the truth than even she realizes. A glance at Yoruichi reveals that she's enjoying this a little as well. “You haven't changed one bit, miss Suì Fēng! There's that sense of humor I... er... missed.”

You clear your throat as Suì Fēng rolls her eyes. “Can't we do this another time? I mean, I was under the impression we had something more important to be discussing?”

Yamamoto raises an eyebrow at you. “As a matter of fact the disposition of the Gotei 13 is a very important matter, however you have a point. Deciding where to place our remaining Captains and their officers is a distant third concern.”

“Third concern?” Komamura muses. “I know the first is likely to be Muramasa, but the second?”

“The second concern.” Yamamoto explains, “concerns Captain Kusajishi's future within the Gotei 13.”

“This isn't about the Central 46 again, right?” Yoruichi asks, arms crossed across her chest defensively. “Getting real tired of that shit.”

The Head Captain shakes his head solemnly. “As she has apparently developed quite unusual abilities, and has independently established diplomatic channels with other regional afterlives as well as within East Asia, Captain Kusajishi is being considered for promotion.”

“Promotion?” Hitsugaya asks, turning to stare at you. “To Head Captain?”

“No,” you reply stoically. “He means promotion to the Royal Guard.”
>1/2

“That is correct,” Yamamoto replies. “Not necessarily immediately, but perhaps sooner rather than later if the message I received is accurate.”

>Okay, so what's this really about Old Man?
>Tell the Monk he can talk to me face to face about it or not at all. I have a LOT of questions.
>Please send them a reply on my behalf: “fuck off, I'm doing things”.
>Other?

> I refuse.

>Tell the Monk he can talk to me face to face about it or not at all. I have a LOT of questions.

>>Tell the Monk he can talk to me face to face about it or not at all. I have a LOT of questions.

>I refuse. The ninth division is my place to be.

>>Please send them a reply on my behalf: “fuck off, I'm doing things”.

>Other?
Gotta settle a couple of things first. Can't do that if we're stuck and can't even proactively sortie beyond Soul Society.

>>Please send them a reply on my behalf: “fuck off, I'm doing things”.
But, you know, more politely. I really don't want to end up in the royal guard

changing this to this

It's pretty clear that I'm more needed here than just hiding up in the clouds somewhere

>writing

“I refuse,” you reply calmly.

All eyes in the room are suddenly on you, and you hate it.

With a deep sigh, you expand on your thoughts. “I have responsibilities here that I can't handle if I run off to live in the clouds. So until the Monk comes down here in person to explain exactly what he and the others DO with their time and how it's more important than literally everything I care about, I'm staying right where I am.”

Yamamoto nods thoughtfully. “Please do one thing for me, and say the name: Hyōsube Ichibē.”

You repeat the name exactly as the Head Captain told you, and he closes his eyes in thought. “Very well. I shall inform him of your decision... assuming he does not already know.”

“The Monk's ability relates to the power of names,” Tenkotsuki explains to you. “From what I have heard those who are 'unworthy' to speak his name are struck mute by attempting to do so.”

That's not exactly reassuring. In repeating two simple words you've likely reinforced whatever thoughts the Royal Guard have towards you, be those positive or negative. It's entirely possible they wanted to recruit you because they felt you may some day be a threat, and that possibility means that they're rapidly becoming a dangerous unknown factor.

“So, shall we proceed to the most pressing matter?” Unohana suggests, interrupting your thought process with a much-needed change of topic.

“Indeed. It is true that I fought Kuchiki Kōga many years ago, and I am aware of how his zanpakuto works from my discussions with the late Kuchiki Ginrei. It was the two of us Captains who sealed Kōga when he rebelled against the Seireitei, though at that point he was quite beyond reason.”
>1/2

“The zanpakuto Muramasa works by interfering with the communication between zanpakuto and shinigami, using that disconnect as an opportunity to mentally dominate and direct those zanpakuto. I suspect he also maintains Kōga's talents for forming illusions and spiritual threads.”

“His weakness is that one who closes their heart to him completely will not be affected,” Yamamoto explains. “It is also my understanding that once a zanpakuto hears the siren call of Muramasa's voice and resists it, they can more easily isolate that influence and reject it. For most Lieutenants and Captains, this means that Muramasa's influence will no longer be a problem.”

>Where was Kōga sealed?
>Did Muramasa say anything to you? He seems the talkative type.
>My sword suggested something rather disturbing...
>OTHER?

>Where was Kōga sealed?

>Where was Kōga sealed?

>Where was Kōga sealed?

>>Where was Kōga sealed?

>>Where was Kōga sealed?
>>My sword suggested something rather disturbing...

First live thread! I spent last week reading through the archives, and am very excited to see where this story goes!

Welcome aboard!

Always nice to have new readers around. Especially since you probably remember old details better having read about them recently, haha.

>all of the above

“You said you sealed Kuchiki Kōga?” you ask. “Where? If Muramasa's doing the predictable thing that's where he and Byakuya will eventually be headed.”

“The location of the shrine into which he was sealed... let me think... it would be a suburb of Tokyo now.”

“It's Karakura town, isn't it?” Yoruichi sighs. “Why are all of the dangerous things sealed in Karakura town, anyway?”

“I believe you may be right,” the Head Captain admits. “He may indeed be sealed somewhere on the outskirts of Karakura town.”

“Ichigo's family and friends may be in danger,” Rukia whispers. “What are we waiting for, Captain?”

“One more thing,” you reply, loudly enough for the other officers to hear. “It's about a theory my sword had about how Muramasa's sustained himself. He was definitely feeding on hollows all this time, which means he's probably quite unstable.”

“That fits,” a familiar voice agrees as Haineko manifests at Rangiku's side. “He seemed increasingly agitated as his plan collapsed... your sheathes are different, Captain.”

Sure enough, when you look down Tenkotsuki's sheath is now made from reddish burled wood with creamy-colored inclusions, while Kobara no Tachi's sheath has been replaced by red and black lacquer in a style more appropriate to the Ryukyus.

“My swords are having a good day,” you admit. “It happens. But the news about Muramasa gets worse: Tenkosuki believes he may have absorbed something a little more alien, and much more dangerous.”

“Whoever else goes, I need to go as well."

"Are you implying he has somehow gained even a modicum of divine-based power?" Yamamoto demands.

Shinsō chuckles. "Cool use of the word modicum."

"Could we not?" Gin sighs. "I'm afraid I'm quite out of the mood."
>1/2

"This changes things," Yamamoto mutters. "Even the possibility is disturbing."

>Don't worry, I got this.
>I... might have learned Ura Hadō from my swords.
>I might know an Ura Hadō. Somehow. Don't ask.
>... not going to say anything.
>Other?

>>>... not going to say anything.

>I... might have learned Ura Hadō from my swords.

>>I might know an Ura Hadō. Somehow. Don't ask.

"I uh... i rented a DVD tutorial in the human world, it was pretty informative."

>I... might have learned Ura Hado from my swords.

>>... not going to say anything.

Rolled 3, 9, 4 = 16 (3d10)

>... not going to say anything.

>>I might know an Ura Hadō. Somehow. Don't ask.

>>Don't worry, I got this.

Or at least, Riku's surely the most likely to come up with something to counter whatever Muramasa's got up his sleeve?

>writing
After this update I'll need to take a very short break. No idea precisely how long, but it may not even have an effect on my update pacing.

“I'll take care of that,” you reply quietly.

Yamamoto looks at you skeptically. “Are you aware what you are saying?”

“I am,” you insist. “I've got it. Don't even worry.”

“How?” he presses. “I worry. It is my job to worry.”

“Easy,” you explain. “I'll burn him until there's not even ashes left. I know precisely how to do it.”

The Head Captain contemplates your words, and more importantly the confidence behind them. He probably realizes that you have a very good reason not to tell him anything about how you came by that confidence, and eventually comes to the conclusion that it may be best not to ask.

“Very well. Eleventh Division and Ninth Division will take the lead on this action, with any other Captains or Lieutenants who desire it joining as they see fit,” Yamamoto orders. “Any shinigami aside from those present may not be able to resist Muramasa's influence, so in order to minimize casualties the bulk of the Divisions will remain here.”

The doors slam open at the far end of the room, and a familiar young woman barges into the meeting.

“Where is he, Riku?” Tatsuki demands, passing Captains and Lieutenants by as if they weren't there.

You sigh heavily. “Tatsuki, now's not a good time. Can this wait?”

“No!” she snarls. “Where'd Ichigo disappear to?”

“What the hell are you...” you frown, extending your senses to find Ichigo's presence. Strangely, you can't seem to find him.

“Huh. That's weird.”

“So you don't know where he went?”

You cast a glance at Urahara, who raises his hands in defense. “Hey, it's not me this time. I've got no idea.”
>1/2

“Wait, why is Mr Urahara in a captain's outfit?” Tatsuki asks in shock.

You shake your head. “Because he's been reinstated.”

>Question Tatsuki: try and figure out what happened to Ichigo (write-in encouraged)
>Tell Tatsuki you'll figure it out when the current crisis is averted.
>Ask for someone to help her while you prepare for your own mission (who?).
>Other

>Question Tatsuki
"Did you talk about anything before he disappeared?"

>>Question Tatsuki: try and figure out what happened to Ichigo (write-in encouraged)
"He's supposed to be with his mother, right? Can't find her either?"

>Question Tatsuki: try and figure out what happened to Ichigo (He asya anything odd? Like he was having issues with his zanpakto, like someone was agitating his inner world? You sense anything odd in his reiatsu?

>>Question Tatsuki: try and figure out what happened to Ichigo

Alright tell me everything that's happened before and after he disappeared.

I'll support!

>>Question Tatsuki: try and figure out what happened to Ichigo (write-in encouraged)

>Question Tatsuki: try and figure out what happened to Ichigo (write-in encouraged)

Also, try to sense for the rest of Ichigo's party, they might have tagged along wherever he went.

My money's on Ichigo ending up wherever Muramasa is, but if we have to split up, I'd ask Yoruichi & Rukia to accompany Tatsuki to track him down.

This

could be in our pocket dimension or private training grounds. those are the two places we wouldn't instantly sense.

Oh and specifically ask Tatsuki where she last saw Ichigo, and how long he's been missing.

>WRITAN

>tfw this is not at all the image I thought it was when I clicked it

uh-huh sure it isn't.

Why don't we ask Rukia where he is?

What is this? Queen has gotten lewder with time huh...

lol

[Intense skepticism]

Ara~Maa~ Queen, of course it wasn't.

Honestly you're not sure what could have happened to him. You're vaguely aware that Masaki escorted Ishida and Yasutora back to the living world, so you're not sure where Ichigo could have gone if not with them. It doesn't really make sense.

“So where did you last see him,” you ask, “and why is it you'd imagine I knew any more than you?”

“Because you sent one of your subordinates to get him!” she insists. “He was wearing the sleeveless uniform your Division usually does.”

“I didn't send for him,” you frown. “So he's with a stranger?”

“Describe the man who came for Ichigo,” Yoruichi tells her. “What did he look like, what did his sword look like, that sort of thing.”

“Well he was blonde, kind of wore it in a bob,” Tatsuki replies, struggling to remember details of a man she clearly didn't consider to be important. “He was kinda tall and lanky, and the crossguard of his sword looked like... an hourglass, I think? Something like that.”

“Did this man have like the biggest fucking teeth in the damn world?” Yoruichi asks, clearly thinking the same thing you did. “We're talking creepy big?”

“And every time he smiles it makes you feel he's going for your jugular?” Tatsuki asks. “Yeah, that's the guy!”

“I do not know of anyone in our Division who matches those descriptions,” Rukia mutters behind you.

>Write-in

GOD DAMNIT SHINJI!

Shinji's gonna die.

And Ichigo too.

GODDAMNIT SHINJI!!

It's been a long time coming but it finally came. Big nigga Shinji gets his shot in the game.

Does anyone around here know what "exiled" means?

Well they won't kill him on Purpose.....

Just tell her where they should be, Make sure to tell/not tell his mother depending on how we want that to go

>Facepalm, then ask Yoruichi and Urahara to help Tatsuki deal with this, you've got a zanpaktou to kill

I saved it off /a/ this morning because I thought it was funny.

>GODDAMNIT SHINJI!

God damn Shinji.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT SHINJI! Kisuke where are the visoreds?

"Ichigo will probably be fine."

In case Urahara's going back to Karakura some time in the near future, he can keep an eye on that development. Tatsuki can tag along if she wants to.

Well it's pretty humorous.

But also filthy smut!

It could have been worse, at least there was no hand holding

Oh yeah, gonna add something else if asking Urahara gets the go signal.

"And let Masaki know in case she's unaware of this. Otherwise, she might shoot Shinji later."

To be honest, why don't the Vizereds do the same thing Riku and Yoruichi did with their hollows?

That would mean accepting things about themselves that they don't like.

Well ain't that a shame.

What, re-forge them into zanpakuto? Yoruichi only just did hers, so they probably don't even know its an option at this point

>writing

Precisely that, considering that they're able to infiltrate Soul Society, they must have heard something about our strange new sword. Hmm, but then again, did we use it against Aizen? I forget.

Again that would me beating them and having a working relationship with them like how Riku and Yoruichi do.

Honestly riku should be fucking pissed about this. She was going to teach ichigo how to handle his hollow like how she did. How to accept it unlike those idiots.

That's the beauty of it, imagine after their spiel, Riku shows up, goes ressurrecion and just glares at Shinji.

"You were saying something about subjugating your hollow side?"

We never went double-bankai in public, so with no mask appearing, the Vizored wouldn't necessarily be able to connect our second sword to our inner hollow.

Does Yoruichi have a working relationship with her inner hollow? It's feral, so her relationship with it seems unique rather than being similar Riku's & Ichigo's relationships with their hollows. We don't even know what the Vizords' inner hollows are like at all do we?