Filename thread

Filename thread anyone?

Other urls found in this thread:

darwinawards.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Jesus Christ. Do they know they're possibly minutes away from paralysis and asphyxiation?

Nah. Instead, lets talk about whether Knowledge skills are good for the game.

I think they are not. For one, it is a fun-killer for the player. He recognizes the hints the DM put as to what the monster is, AND... fails the Knowledge roll, and must now continue playing the encounter pretending he doesn't know what it is. It isn't much better if he succeeds, either: now the DM has to stop the flow of the game to read the description to the players.

It is better to not have Knowledge skills and instead let the DM reveal or not reveal information, based on whether he wants it to be a mystery or not.

I would tend to agree, then again I think people should have a reasonable level of trivia and general knowledge so I would expect someone to be able to pitch tents without needing to roll Survival.

B^U

You're presupposing a game like DnD in which everyone and their mother has actually read the Monster Manual. Knowledge skills like History and Religion don't stop being useful for the wide gamut of games and settings just because everyone knows what happened and who the gods are in the Forgotten Realms, and Knowledge skills about wildlife and other monsters don't stop being useful just because everyone knows what beholder is. Not every game with knowledge skills is DnD, and even among DnD games, not every campaign is instantly recognizable.

>Imagine the hand jobs

Even if a creature isn't instantly recognizable, it is better to build up the narrative to a new monster rather than breaking the flow with a roll and a description. No matter if the players know it or not, the Knowledge skills are the worst way to handle knowledge. If the players need to know, the DM could drop hints or narration where appropriate, in advance. Likewise for religions, every DM has a setting document for that.

>its venom has no antidote
>its bite is so miniscule most victims do not know they have been bitten
Good god.

This joke is far too obvious. Needs a better filename.

I believe we have seen someone's last moment.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>Knowledge skills are only used for getting monster statistics out of the DM

That is genuinely pretty clever

Okay, a couple of things. For one, the results of a knowledge roll should not interrupt the flow, they should be tailored to it. You don't roll knowledge and then describe the creature when it's standing in front of the players because you've already described it when they first caught sight of it. Knowledge rolls are for the things that are of pressing utility-- the hidden weaknesses or behavioural quirks that will make a confrontation easier, but without which it is not impossible.

What the player needs to know, the player absolutely should be told. That's not what knowledge skills are for. They're for giving the player information they don't NEED to know, but which would help them. Knowledge is like Spot, when you want the player to be aware of something, you tell them about it. When you don't want them to know, but they would want to know, you let them roll.

If the party is tracking an unknown creature, you let them (let, not make- you don't force anyone into a knowledge check they don't ask for) roll knowledge based on its tracks to identify it before they run into it, letting them tailor their approach armed with foreknowledge. If they don't know beforehand, they'll certainly find out when they run into it, but there is an edge that they can seize if they try.

For a more tightly narrative-driven game, knowledge skills may not be the best fit, but there are plenty of systems that don't use them. I'm not saying that knowledge skills are the be-all and end-all, I'm saying that implementing them is not automatically a mistake.

Lets hope he has better luck with his fortitude saves than his knowledge checks

We can only hope that this person did not breed before taking this photo, and has not spread their genes further. May their cancer die with them.

Eh, that's not fair. It's a tiny cute little octopus. They're probably tourists in a strange place. It's ignorance, not stupidity. It's arguably stupid to handle unidentified animals, but not knowing an obscure fact isn't necessarily irredeemable stupidity.

> It's stupid to handle unidentified animals

FTFY

I expect to see them here some day
darwinawards.com/

Here's your (You)

Oh edgy

Yeah, it's obvious he's LG.

It's not edgy if it's true.

and I never claimed to be happy about it

Deaths due to simple ignorance are explicitly excluded from receiving a Darwin Award. Animal handling accidents by themselves are quite common, and very common incidents, even if dumb, aren't eligible either.

It'd be more Darwinesque if they clearly knew the octopus was incredibly venomous and handled it anyway for some stupid reason. If the photo was holding the octopus next to a Danger - Octopi Are Venomous sign, that'd be a Darwin Award.

user, I've seen enough young people in high school and uni who used to mention darwinawards. They all grew up from it eventually and so will you.

Sir Bearington

Doubtful. I'm way past that age group.

This image angers me a little every time I see it. Enjoy.

I'm sorry, user

Just to explain: "lift" means "shoplift" in this context.

Why does Veeky Forums make you angry?

Lift in this case as in shoplift.

And of course it would be like Tumblr to turn criminals into a protected class

>Veeky Forums in 15 years from now

At first I thought this was about lifting weights, but then I kept reading.

What the fuck.

I want to say I don't understand, but I kind of get it. It's like exhibitionism.

nah, tearing up establishment ettiquette for the sake of anti PC and going against every conventional guideline is pretty chaotic

>No homo

God these people make me sick.

Leave it to fucking tumblr to glorify and try to protect shoplifting.

[angry justice noises]

Tumblr, LE since forever.

OP was funny but it's turned the thread into "Hello I Also Know a Thing About an Animal"

see

>Tau players

I understood that by the "petty thieves" part. I was making a joke that the current trend on tumblr regarding "fit shaming" makes that post a theoretical possibility for actually gym lifting in 15 years from now.

Needs a name.

Never get on the Fucking Boat.

Absolutely goddamn right.

bit too real for me man, i didn't need this
Raeg
BBEG scouts

enough with this shit

You'd think bottles of brightly-colored liquids next to the fruit juice would be fruit juice, not dishwashing detergent.

Roll to Disbelieve
Surface Drow
Usually [alignment]
Radical Inquisitor

>Allowing PCs to act during a BBEG speech

BBEGs should exclusively make speeches via video, letter, remote viewing, or representative, or made in front of heroes who are restrained or otherwise unable to act.

Attempting to make one in the presence of people who came there to stop you is just retarded and a vice of poor GMs.

That's what we were supposed to notice? I was looking for a little kid hiding behind the juice cases or some shit.

Fresh OC, new to this so sorry if I'm shit.

I understand the last two panels but the rest of this page is incoherent garbage.

No.

Two disembodied hands are fighting. Then one punches the monster thing in the face.

That's kind of retarded
By the actual definition of a "musket" the puckle gun still is one

Is it the white cap then?

>Bulge

Does she want me to fix her broken right leg?

>I understood that by the "petty thieves" part.

I was starting to wonder if they meant gainz goblins desu

My post-cyberpunk game now has a thieves guild

In that case she can Roguely trade my dick any time

>By the actual definition of a "musket" the puckle gun still is one
No; it is a revolving breach loader weapon.

Why is it a meme to be an asshole to JWs? Just opt out god damnit. They're usually nice people

The definition says
>Fired from the shoulder
and I would like to see anyone attempt to fire that shit from the shoulder.

They can be the nicest people on earth and when they show up to my house every other week to talk about Jesus I'm eventually going to get annoyed with them. Especially when they interrupt me in the midst of having sex with my wife.