Flames of War General: Almost Victory Day Edition!

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

Other urls found in this thread:

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Scenarios/Seize&Hold.pdf
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=109&art_id=258&kb_cat_id=23
mediafire.com/#8ciamhs8husms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anyway, question from last thread - are MW Rota Razvedki any good?

What's a goo,d cheap list? I wanted to do Germans for the longest, but it seems to me that Soviets are the most powerful

Your best bet is to get the Open Fire box. It has a decent number of units and you expand off of it later on.

>What's a good cheap list?
>cheap list?
>Soviets
>cheap

Some German lists are top tier, but general consensus seems to be that US is the most powerful at the moment. Depending on the list, Soviets are anywhere between mid-tier and underpowered. All this is for Late War, btw.

So I've ordered some Zis3, IS2s, and a box of Udarny strelkovy. Starting up a shock army. Anymore suggestions as I could pay other lists with a little expansion it other good tips for Soviets in general? Thanks in advance guys

Something I wanted to ask in the last thread but decided to wait until the next thread wherein there was space for the presumed shitstorm.

Does Flames of War's rule set as it currently stands favour Infantry armies over Armoured ones?

Shermans i m o

Same problem most mech lists have but better taken in mid rather than late since some armoured lists are still going to be full of shit-tier tanks.

I´d say it would depend on your meta, the kinds of terrain that are used there and the tactical preferences.

Most of the players at my store are turbo tourneygoers who travel around North America for the tournaments. Not a single damn one runs infantry. I don't mean infantry lists I mean infantry at all.

>I don't mean infantry lists I mean infantry at all.
Do these people lose a lot? Taking absolutely no infantry is kind of gimping yourself, imo.

They reliably place in the top 10 at the tournaments I know they played at. Mainly Nationals.

Note I'm only talking about LW. In MW they tend to be more balanced or tankovy.

Does anyone know why Battlefront discontinued the Fallschirmjager Pak40 models? I couldn't find them anywhere so I ended up getting the HG Pak40 models since they look close enough to Fallschirmjagers for my tastes and it soothes my inner grognard/rivet counter since they're both Luftwaffe at least.

That you have to take infantry in a tank list has always been guys like to repeat in this thread but it's not strictly nessacary. It does change how you construct your list and play it however.

Personally I find they play style required to be more to my own tastes so I never take them ether.

I win plenty.

My guess is that not enough players were purchasing them. Since they just sat on the shelves, the cost of producing them far outweighed the cost of selling, so they discontinued them.

That's a bit of a shame, especially considering all the other esoteric models that Battlefront still produces. I'll have to admit that having this jackbooted Luftwaffe officer commanding my Pak40s is far more entertaining to look at on the tabletop though.

Repeating from last thread:
user that converted his Bofors to work either on the SP or on a custom immobile mount, do you think you could get some pictures of how it turned out?

Since I'm going to be making a Fallschirmjager list anyways, I've decided to try and make an HG Panzerkompanie from Fortress Italy as well since there's a lot of overlap. Since I already own a Fallschirmjager Company and 4 Pak40s, I'm trying to integrate those into the list as a cost saving measure. I've made two lists: One with Panzer IVs and one with Panzer IIIs. Thoughts?

German HG Panzerkompanie
Tank Company, from Fortress Italy, page 24

Compulsory Herman Goring Panzerkompanie HQ (p.25) - CinC Panzer III M, 2iC Panzer III M (140 pts)
- Replace Panzer III M with Panzer IV H (20 pts)
- Sd Kfz 9 half-track (5 pts)

Compulsory HG Panzer Platoon (p.25) - Command Panzer III M, 3x Panzer III M (290 pts)

Compulsory HG Panzer Platoon (p.25) - Command Panzer III M, 3x Panzer III M (290 pts)

HG Anti-tank Gun Platoon (p.44) - Command SMG, 4x 7.5cm PaK40 gun (215 pts)

Fallschirmjager Platoon (1. Fallschirmjagerdivision) (p.75) - Command Rifle/MG, 9x Rifle/MG (275 pts)
- Upgrade Command Rifle/MG to Command Panzerknacker SMG (5 pts)

1420 Points, 4 Platoons

German HG Panzerkompanie

Compulsory Herman Goring Panzerkompanie HQ (p.25) - CinC Panzer III M, 2iC Panzer III M (140 pts)
- Sd Kfz 9 half-track (5 pts)

HG Panzer Scout Platoon (p.26) - Command Motorcycle MG, 2x Motorcycle MG (120 pts)

HG Anti-tank Gun Platoon (p.44) - Command SMG, 3x 7.5cm PaK40 gun (165 pts)

Fallschirmjager Platoon (1. Fallschirmjagerdivision) (p.75) - Command Rifle/MG, 9x Rifle/MG (275 pts)
- Upgrade Command Rifle/MG to Command Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)

Rocket Launcher Battery (p.145) - Command SMG, Observer Rifle, Kubelwagen, 3x 21cm NW42 rocket launcher (125 pts)

1420 Points, 6 Platoons

It honestly depends.

I like infantry.

They'll hold objectives while the more mobile elements of your force goes out and hunts stuff down.

That being said, if you have enough access to vehicles with breakthrough guns or flame throwers, you might be able to get away with just blowing up or burning enemy infantry, instead of needing your own men to go in and assault the enemy of of the objectives.

With the right tools, you can skip infantry. Without them, or without enough of them, you might want to bring along some footsloggers.

Are you a Fallschirmjaeger buff too? I fucking love those guys. I run a blog on tumblr about them. I'm for sure adding those guys into my Berlin Kampfgruppe.

Can you not get 15cm rockets or do FI 21cms get smoke?

I'm really into Fallschirmjagers at the moment. So much so that I'm basing most of my entry level purchases into Flames of War around them.

Turns out 21cms don't get smoke. I'll switch them out for 15 cms which gives me some more points to play with.

German HG Panzerkompanie

HG Panzer Scout Platoon (p.26) - Command Motorcycle MG, 3x Motorcycle MG (155 pts)

HG Anti-tank Gun Platoon (p.44) - Command SMG, 3x 7.5cm PaK40 gun (165 pts)

Rocket Launcher Battery (p.145) - Command SMG, Observer Rifle, Kubelwagen, 3x 15cm NW41 rocket launcher (105 pts)

1420 Points, 6 Platoons

I'll try digging them up later today.

Thank you user.

Here we go.

This was done with some simple magnets and a few spare bits of sprue. And two spare large bases, of course.
Looking back at it, I could have put in some more effort and easily sculpted the smaller detail bits that should be on the towed mount, but at the time this was something I threw together because I could and it was really low-effort.

Do you guys base figures before or after painting? As I find filling the gaps around the bases very fiddly and messy, I prefer to base first.

So to make my life easier, I'm priming in dark brown as that's the colour of the base and a good natural colour onto which to paint uniforms, black and White being too dark and bright.

These are the PSC infantry and IS-2, and FoW T-34 and Shermans. Not sure what to get next for a decent list but I'm building out of the Berlin book to use bedspring armour.

I tend to base first, but I will admit that occasionally can make painting difficult.

Then again, I'll never be an award winning painter anyway. I just want stuff that looks halfway decent on the table top.

I tend to paint my guys before basing them, but then again half the fun of FoW for me is the modeling part. I usually spend lots of time basing/painting.

Nice and simple. Thanks.

That was the idea.

No problem, although taking that pic did remind me that I'll need to touch up and re-varnish my Canuck minis soon.

Why? Those look pretty good as-is.

Yeah, but some of them have a few chips, some lacking highlights etc.

After such a touch-up, it should all be good for a couple of years again.

Fair enough. It's always a good idea to do some touch ups when needed.

Anyone know if there are rules for mid war glider assaults lying around somewhere? I seem to recall them in the past, but can't find them.

There's only Early War glider assaults, for the two times that they actually used them, in Belgium and Crete.

Damn, that's a shame. MW sucks.

I could have sworn Version 2 had some rules for D-Day glider landings, but I thunk it was in an online article.

>Soviet
>most powerful

I only found this for LW

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Scenarios/Seize&Hold.pdf
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=109&art_id=258&kb_cat_id=23

Parade bump

Ty for that. Unfortunately, the next big tourney is MW, and I was hoping to find something fun to play.

Just use your French.

Oh wait.

What about something fruity, like Panzerpioneer, or Ferdinands? Czechpanzers could be good. Do you have enough guys for a Luftwaffe Feldkompanie?

What kind of FoW Shermans did you use?

You can play tirailleurs sénégalais in MW and even bring a big ol' fort with you.

News to me. PDF list, I assume? Viable at all? Can't imagine they'd have enough of the heavy stuff, unless half the list is allied British.

It's in Burning Empires. One of the lists that do double-duty as EW and MW.

Part of my current project

"drunk staff team"

Someone know if there is a scan of Colours of war?

Someone posted bits and pieces of it somewhat recently.

I've been meaning to assemble it into a full PDF, but I've been dealing with a metric fuck-ton of real life bullshit lately.

I try not to mention it here, since this isn't my fucking blog, but it's been slowing me down on a lot of stuff, including uploading things to the scans database and editing Panzerfunk and Eagles' Nest.

ok, thanks for the info, knowing that somewhat the scan exist is enough for me.

Colors of War is now in the scans database.

Also added is the 20th Armee in Finland Grenadierkompanie in the FoW Didital folder.

mediafire.com/#8ciamhs8husms

Yay this ivan. ..

Thankyou Eagles. You are a good person.

I just put it all into a single pdf.

The real credit should go to the guy who uploaded all the pieces in the first place.

that feel when their will never be weird wars flames of war miniatures

you what?

Honestly, I'm okay with this. There's so much awesome in WW2 already; in a war with Otto Skorzeny, Bill Millins, Jack Churchill, etc, do you really need to add robots and death rays? To me, the answer is "no, it's already larger than life enough."

Thanks you man.

>no 15mm Star Wars
>15mm Halo was given to a bunch of ADD riddled hacks who throw buckets of dice at each other
>nuEpic may not even be 6mm scale still
>Lard island has their points systems in huge excel sheets that hurt my small mind
>found out talking to Battlefront recently that they genuinely had no idea how their inventory computer works, weren't given any documentation, and had degenerated into 40K tech priests
I have so many feels about tabletop in general please stop reminding me.

>>found out talking to Battlefront recently that they genuinely had no idea how their inventory computer works, weren't given any documentation, and had degenerated into 40K tech priests
Wat? Seriously? Hahahaha ....no really I don't know how to feel about this

>>found out talking to Battlefront recently that they genuinely had no idea how their inventory computer works, weren't given any documentation, and had degenerated into 40K tech priests
This... explains so much.

>found out talking to Battlefront recently that they genuinely had no idea how their inventory computer works, weren't given any documentation, and had degenerated into 40K tech priests

Please tell me you're not fucking serious right now...

On the one hand, that would explain sooo fucking much.

On the other hand it's also incredibly fucking pathetic that an inventory system is tracking something that is not actually the fucking inventory.

*shaking my fucking head*

Welp, went and did it. Placed an order for 3 packs of Type 2 Ka-Mi's like the absolute mad man I am. Going to be a fun company to play, I hope.

It came out when the store owner asked why they didn't get a Team Yankee release. He was confused as to how orders were prioritized, the employee went and nobody he could contact actually understood how the orders went out. The last time I checked (like 2 months ago) they were trying to find the person who had designed their inventory software so they could learn more about it.

It appears that for AT LEAST 3 years they had simply typed in orders and the computer told the truck drivers and such who to supply first. I'm also confident this is related to why every fucking release is "stuck in customs." I can only assume the computer was never updated when US customs laws were. I never worked in a supply chain so who knows.

I personally know some of the BF higher ups and founders, and it's truly amazing how often stuff like this happens. It's not even the most embarrassing thing they have pulled, but because it doesn't directly impact the wider community I will respect their privacy.

BOATTANKS FOR EVERYONE

the Steamboat Navy... on land!

Yea I can understand this point of view

Mostly cheaper units, you practically need the fort to do anything above 1000 points. But it does give French a MW option which is pretty cool.

>do you really need to add robots and death rays?

Giant Robots, Death Rays, and Nazi Flying Saucers are a staple of pulp sci-fi.

Does it belong in a "serious" World War II game? Probably not.

Is it a ton of fun in a less serious sci-fi or comic-book type of setting?

Oh, hell yes.

Hail Hydra!

>Iron Sky

That was such a fun B-movie.

bump with Biritsh Infantry list for local MW tourney 1650 pts is the limit. Any suggestions?

Good for defending. If you get Counter Attack you may be completely fucked without some good mobile elements. But there's a lot of AT, solid amount of artillery.

I would personally replace the mortars with machine guns. Aside from that, looks reasonable.

I started painting my Canadian infantry again and was wondering what other models I should pick up for a Canadian Rifle Company. Advice?

Period? Some 6-pounders would be a good start, and some Universal Carriers if you don't already have.

What do you have already?

Otherwise: 6-pdrs, Carriers, 25pdrs, Shermans, Achilles.

Late War. All I have is the Rifle Company box set at the moment.

I'd agree with and here.

OQF 6-pounders for some cheap but solid AT, Universal Carriers for some cheap recce and mobile harassment, some kind of artillery (I personally like 25 pounders, some others go for mortars instead) and some kind of armoured support.

For armour, Shermans + Fireflies are the obvious choice as Canadians.
You can get British Churchills in Road to Rome, but Sherman/Firefly platoons tend to work nicely in an infantry list.

A patrol of Wasp Carriers (if the briefing you use allows them) can also be pretty nasty; it's a cheap flame-thrower option that can make assaulting an enemy position a lot easier.
Pretty cheap models as well, which is nice.

Thanks for the assistance. I might grab some stuff from my FLGS when I pick up my Fallschirmjager company this week.

My plan is to cobble together AT crews from the PSC heavy weapons.

What do you guys typically include in your FJ companies?

Seems like the high points cost makes it hard to get up 8 platoons like you usually want in an infantry list.

Didn't they just announce a new 1946 thing, like last month?

Wat?

A mortar platoon, Pak 40s and LG40 recoilless guns are always useful. After that it just depends on personal preference or what kind of army you're facing. For example, machine-gun platoons are useful if you're up against an infantry heavy list, but not so much against tanks.

Check the date on that post.

I'll give you a hint, I pity the fool who believes it.

Warlord/Bolt Action did.

you can buy the explodium pak 40s from Battlefront's webstore

Try heating an old blade over a candle and cutting through the plastic sprue-gates with that...not perfect even here as the BF PaK40s are the main problem, but it might help.

Anyone have a look at the PSC Pak40s yet? Seems like the RSOs and lower price would make them a better buy than BF.

> hat feel when I'll finally be able to play out my WW2 versus Halo fantasies
> British and Soviets versus the Covenant