Is it really a good idea to play table-top rpgs with friends?

Is it really a good idea to play table-top rpgs with friends?

Seems like that's an assure way to get drama and ruin friendships.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_that_broke_the_camel's_back
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mature people don't have these problems.

For me, playing with friends has always been much better than playing with strangers.

>Mature people don't have these problems.
>on Veeky Forums

I have been playing tabletop RPGs since I was eight. I'm 28 now. I have never had a fight occur over tabletop RPGs. Not once.

You have to realize that social ttrpg games are exactly that. Social games. You need to be an adult and learn to talk about your issues without flying off the handle over fictional scenarios.

If you have friends who get off the rails for shit like that maybe they aren't the type of friends you want when real life starts hitting you hard.

Board games are harder not to fight over than TTRPGs. And even that isn't a major challenge. If you get super competitive and upset about a game, don't play that game again until you've figured out why and dealt with it.

It really depends on what definition of friendship you go by, how social you are yourself and what other priorities and goals you have.
Personally, no, I would not want to roleplay with my actually close friends. Partially because they're mostly women.

>women can't play games

do you not have friends?

Not even remotely near the level that monopoly does, if that's what you're wondering. Monopoly is competetive, while tabletop rpgs are (usually) cooperative.

Litteraly met my wife that way. So no I dont b see the issue with it.

Absolutely. Who else would you play a cooperative story telling experience with?

Playing with friends has, in my experience, been much better than with gaemers. Friends learn how to play and do so because its a fun thing to do with each other. RPGfans or randoms play to win the game.

There's a spectrum between "because it's a fun thing to do with each other" and "to win the game." Old school RPGs tended to be in part about the challenge, but it's not like people wouldn't still prefer to play with their friends.

Yes, because when your with friends generally you know what each other's comfort levels are, its less awkward having to play pretend with them, and the mutual respect can both inhibit and let you more easily deal with That Guy problems.

Also, they trust you when you ask if you can use 3pp stuff like Path of War if you play Pathfinder and the like.

Though this all depends very much on how good and strong the friendship is in the first place

Gotten into some "tense" situations but never anything that lasted more than 5 minutes, and they were all 3 years ago.

Recently had a player get all pissy because his brother had a magic item that he wouldn't tell others what it did.
It sparked when they fought some lizard folks (5e) and both wanted to loot the shaman. Like fuck guys he doesn't have anything on him anyways.
Any suggestions on what to say? If it happens again I'll bring it up, just wondering if anyone has a good suggestion other than just telling them "hey you guys are ruining everyone's game as well as your own, chill out"

>Is it really a good idea to play sports with friends?
>Is it really a good idea to discuss current events with friends?
>Is it really a good idea to watch and talk about movies with friends?

Seems like that's a sure way to get drama and ruin friendships.

>smaller brains
>tendency for hysteria
>physically weaker

plus if they engage in too many masculine pastimes then their wombs will shrivel up and fall out

>smaller brains
Einstein's brain was smaller than average.
>tendency for hysteria
Are you a caricature of the 1940s?
>physically weaker
Than a man who's equally fit? Sure. Than a basement-dwelling neckbeard like you? Not so much.

>>smaller brains
Doesn't effect how the person uses them
>>tendency for hysteria
Then don't fucking antagonize them all the time
>>physically weaker
How is this even relevant.
>plus if they engage in too many masculine pastimes then their wombs will shrivel up and fall out
Nigga what?

I'm pretty sure is making fun of

>Implying ruined friendships from games aren't just final straws on the camels back

>women aren't hysterical
>don't antagonize them or they'll get hysterical

Check out these hysterical women.

Poe's law in effect; i honestly can't tell anymore.

why would you put straws on a camel's back?

Honestly petty arguments over tabletop games shouldn't ruin friendships, they might make you momentarily angry at each other or even end a campaign. The only time I can see it ending a friendship is if there was already animosity between two members of the group and in game drama was just the last straw.

you do realize this guy is joking right?
:^)

Veeky Forums doesn't actually play tabletop RPGs though, they just talk about them.

To transport your straw.

why do you need straws in the desert?

Basically this. If I actually had a game, I wouldn't be here.

Actually functional human beings talk about the issues they have with each other and resolve them.

>Why did you do x?
>>Because I needed to do x because of y and z.
>But that hurt/disabled/gimped/otherwise obstructed my character!
>>Well, I'm sorry. No hard feelings?

This is where the issue resolving comes in.

>Haha, no, just a little annoying, but it's just a game
>>Great!

That's it. This is how you have healthy relationships.

what when they do even try or pay attention and just sit on their phone mid-game?

>not throwing a literal chimpout every single time the rules conflict with how you imagine the ideal rules should work
Sounds boring, fampai.

Do you think I'm a nigger?

>smaller brains
sure, but iqs are distributed equally.
>tendency for hysteria
i can see that. just keep the sjw cunts out and it's not that bad
>physically weaker
you do realize it's a game, right? You're not actually swinging an axe. Dice aren't that heavy.

Then again I'm trans so wtf do I know

Christ.

>Hey, are you here to play on your phone or play D&D?
>>Uhh, is this bothering you?
>A bit. Do you mind putting it away until a break or the end of the session?
>>Not at all, sorry about that!

This implies normal human responses. It MIGHT have to go something like this:

>Hey, are you here to play on your phone or play D&D?
>>Uhh what?
>Your phone. You're not paying attention to the game. Are you bored?
>>...
>Look, it's a little distracting. You want a break?
>>Sure.
>Alright, but after the break let's try to stay in the game, okay?
>>Sure.
>Thanks!

IJS it can be just as much fun to slay monsters as it is to fuck with the other players. Like getting belligerent about being right about a rule when you're objectively wrong and have been cited the page number and had it read to you.

>Is it really a good idea to play table-top rpgs with friends?

Yeah, it's fine if you can restrain your autism for a few hours once a week.

Do you or do you not think I'm a nigger? Because you were speaking to me in niggerspeak.

In real life when someone asks you to put away the phone you tell them that everyone's on their phone all day already and you should mind your own fucking business. Ain't my fault your tinder isn't blowing up with women begging for dick. Ain't my fault the weedman just texted that he's good again. Ain't my fault your game's like a boring-ass book.

Yes, I do think you are a nigger.

Please go back to Africa.

Yes, I do, in fact, perceive you to a negroid individual. Wanna throw down about it?

>not playing with extra large depleted uranium dice

Sounds like you are a casual too.

Chek out 'dis en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_that_broke_the_camel's_back

don't bite

>my friends are Veeky Forums
Nope. Thank god for that.

>Ain't my fault your game's like a boring-ass book.
It's exactly your fault. The game is as exciting as you make it, you twit. Now put away the phone and do something fun.

>iqs

People don't act like that, you're rationalizing the situation too much.

I had a game a few days ago, where one player literally stopped playing and played on his phone instead, everybody was like "DUDE" and he thought it was perfectly acceptable for him to do that.
How are you even going to reason with a person like that?
This was online and he is a friend i've had for over 10years, not the smartest but that was seriously inappropriate and it wasn't like he didn't give a fuck, it was more it didn't matter at all, like, he could be masturbating infront of us and he wouldn't wink or anything. I simply don't play these games with him when he literally stops playing to be on his phone.

I might still be salty over the whole thing but i honestly don't see a reason not to. Though it's fine aslong as i don't play this with him.

>it's fun to have people rage and get upset in a game for kids

>Seems like that's an assure way to get drama and ruin friendships.
Only if you are a dumb asshole, in which case you probably don't have friends anyway.

let me guess.. there never was a camel right? we aren't going to disneyland right? my dog didn't just go to the farm right?

I've never had an issue openly and respectfully confronting someone and getting a favorable result. I think the importance is in firm but respectful confrontation. Saying "Are you here to play on your phone or play some D&D?" puts them on the spot; they came here to play D&D, so why are they on their phone? This might make them defensive, but ultimately a reasonable person will see that you're right.

I am not rationalizing this too much, I'm talking about rational people. As soon as you add dysfunction into the mix all of that goes out the window and you're on your own.

Please note that one of basic points of successful communication with autistic people is avoiding idioms and figurative speech because those will be frequently interpreted literally and cause serious confusion.

the joke ----you---->

>he is a friend i've had for over 10years, not the smartest but that was seriously inappropriate and it wasn't like he didn't give a fuck, it was more it didn't matter at all, like, he could be masturbating infront of us and he wouldn't wink or anything

Have you considered: this person is not actually a friend, and never was?

One of the requirements of being a friend with someone is respecting them. It sounds more like he considered you a source of entertainment; a Netflix that he could antagonize for laughs.

He isn't the smartest around, he's a decent person though
>that he could antagonize for laughs.
i think you're projecting alot

I don't think you understand how relationships work. That, or all of your friends are manchildren.

What the fuck even is this thread? That's the only way to play for most people. RPGs aren't monopoly by the way.

>a Netflix that he could antagonize for laughs

This fucked me up.

>Seems like that's an assure way to get drama and ruin friendships.
>table-top rpgs
>friends
I don't think you know what either of those terms mean.