I was wonndering

Why has GW focused on the Crimson slaughter as opposed to the multiple Traitor legions that have not been fleshed out at all? Do they think no one gives a shit? And why Crimson Slaughter, did they pull a rando warband name out of a hat? Its not even the most interesting warband to ever be mentioned(that would be 'The Cleaved), so I'm just trying to wrap my head around it...

I don't dislike the slaughter, they just don't seem like they should be... focused on over the legions

Word is that Dark Vengeance was originally supposed to feature Black Legion but the color contrast with Dark Angels didn't sit well with the design studio so they settled with Crimson Slaughter.
I don't mind them (though I don't like GW's recent writing with their lack of literary or historical allusions) or GW's choice to not go with a legion, but I don't like how they didn't at least pick Red Corsairs.

They have been trying to take the focus from the oringals for years. Thats why they took the rules for them out of the codex in 4th ed. At least the CS are interesting.

>word bearers

Maybe after 30 years they want to write some new stuff and not retread the old?

I think that was more due to lazy writing and to the fact that the Traitor Legions are mostly shattered or splinted into mixed legions/renegade chapter warbands.

Though I like the Crimson Slaughter lore, it probably wasnt the best decision.

GW suffers from poor leadership, an unhealthy corporate culture, and is generally out of touch with their customers and the hobby itself.

They appear to be slowly taking small steps in the right direction.. But looking at the content of their recent WH40k releases tells me they still havent figured out why customers are leaving en masse.

Exactly, why just some random warband and not the Corsairs?

I got in around 5th so I missed the attention they once gave the legions and I still don't get why they started switching away from them

Maybe but then why do anything with the Black Legion? It has its own supplement, why not do all the Legions? Update them, give them some new fluff and kickass(its CSM I know, but I can dream damnit) crunch. THEN they should focus on all the Warbands. CSM are so varied and interesting and it feels wrong to ignore their largest factions

I know, GW corporate is pants on head retarded most of the time

I just don't get why, not just why scorn the legions, but why Crimson Slaughter? I mean I agree they have some interesting stuff, but it feels odd right?

>Corsairs

YES, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RED CORSAIRS

THEY'RE RED, JUST LIKE CRIMSON SLAUGHTER

THEY'RE THE LARGEST AND MOST POWERFUL WARBAND BESIDES BLACK LEGION

THEY HAVE AN IC WITH A HUGE BACKSTORY, RIVALING ABADDON AND WITH MORE EXPOSURE THAN KHARN

THEY TIE IN TO FW AND BADAB

Who the fuck are these Crimson Slaughter faggots anyway. There was zero reason to choose them over Red Corsairs. ZERO.

It's as if they are deliberately fucking with CSM players. They get rid of the legions in favour of a focus on the Red Corsairs and other warbands, bet then, nope, even the Red Corsairs have too much of a following, lets fuck them off too.

Yea, and they don't even have the courtesy/competence/they hate us to make the crunch mildly good.

They switch fluff, ignore the legions, then the new warbands in favor of MORE new warbands its... I just do not understand why they seem to hate us CSM players so much... the only good thing is we still have kickass models look wise

Could you imagine them getting rid of the Space Marine chapters to focus on somebody's homebrewed chapter that made it into the back of one of the old codices and white dwarf a couple of times? Because that's pretty much what happened to Chaos.

>Its not even the most interesting warband to ever be mentioned(that would be 'The Cleaved)
But the Cleaved are shit tier. Sure, the paint scheme is cool, but they're just bargain-bin Death Guard.

If GW was actually interested in refocusing CSM on the warbands, we need rules and support for warbands that aren't just shit-tier copies of the traitor legions. Red Corsairs are just a poor mans Black Legion. Crimson Slaughter are just a poor man's Word Bearers. Cleaved are just a poor man's Death Guard. Etc, etc.

Of course, GW doesn't actually want to rebrand CSM as being about the warbands, that's just an excuse promulgated by retards and shills in an attempt to justify why all the breadth and glory encompassed by the 3.5 codex was cut and never returned.

ok but... regardless of the stuff on the new warbands if they aren't trying to re-brand CSM then WAHT EXACTLY ARe THEY FUCKING DOING? I'm just... confused. Why in the hell do they ignore the legions then? Why focus on the 'shit-tier' warbands? If its not them trying to re-brand CSM then what the fuck are they doing?

I'm not mad at your statement and agree with most of your points, I'm legitimately not sure what they are doing if not re-branding

If they were trying to rebrand CSM as the Warbands of Chaos, the majority of the codex wouldn't still be focused on the Legions, characters from the Legions, and rules for Legion units.

The fourth edition codex came out during a period of complexity reduction. The sixth edition codex was essentially just an update of the fourth edition codex. No one on the design team plays CSM, and that's why the rules are so uninspired.

Maybe the 2017 codex will fix things, but the Black Legion and Crimson Slaughter reprints don't inspire hope. Either work on homebrew fixes or play using the loyalist rules.

Wait does one of them use Loyalist rules? Fucking REALLY? Thats... just why GW why...

Its just sad and hard nowadays seeing as no one at GW seems to care for the CSM or knows how to write for them crunch or fluff wise(with some exceptions)

I hope they can turn it around, I really do.

No, I'm saying that your best option for playing fluffy traitor legions, or renegades, is to just use the loyalist rules. Raven Guard chapter tactics provide better support for Alpha Legion or Night Lords than Codex: Chaos Space Marines does. Same with Iron Hands chapter tactics and Iron Warriors.

As far as fluff goes, look at the number of novels that deal with the traitor legions and their descendants compared with the novels that deal with more recent renegades. There's multi-work series of the Word Bearers, the Night Lords, the Thousand Sons, the Iron Warriors. Warbands have, what? The Dark Vengeance novella? Shit, I don't think the "Treacheries of the Space Marines" short story collection has a single story that deal with a non-Legion warband.

Well, here's a theory that probably gives GW entirely too much credit:
Homebrew Space Marine chapters are pretty common. While I'm sure they're outnumbered by the officials like Space Wolves, Ultramarines, etc, I think a decent number of people like to come up with their own wacky paint scheme and backstory for their space soldiers.
Other hand, my impression has always been that people mostly stick to established Legions with Chaos. I don't think that's a bad thing, Chaos has some of the best fluff that GW has written, but the company may feel that encouraging players to make up their own warbands is a stronger choice, and so they try to downplay Legions and build up the Warbands.

That's the generous version. Being blunt, I think they decided for some idiotic reason that the Veterans of the Long War idea wasn't good, and so started trying to push the idea of recently turned marines really hard. Which is dumb, because they use a bunch of heresy-era gear and have no good fluff written about them and arrrrrrgh!

Why would VotLW be a bad deal? The idea of a bunch of extremely old bitter fucks of Space marines who raid, pillage, and hate all the time... it's awesome and the short story 'what it's like' is a great exqmple.

Besides their are plenty of unique warband within the legions... regardless they need to do a 180, like seriously, that will start solving the problems CSM has at the moment

>Its not even the most interesting warband to ever be mentioned(that would be 'The Cleaved)
you what

that's some pleb tier taste right there

What's so interesting about The Cleaved? Oily blood leaks from their joints. They seem pretty generic and un-fleshed other than that.

Crimson Slaughter was GW's attempt to hype a "new big thing" free from past lore constraints.

>Why has GW

Here's the SOOPER SEEKRIT reason GW does anything: It was cheap. Straight up.

History has shown that whatever the easiest, laziest, least expensive way to do something may be, THAT is the path always chosen by GW.

So, my guess is that, when it came time to choose snap-fits for DV, whichever CAD files were the first to fit The Brief -
1. The obligatory company self-insert Pretty Marines, of course. And -
2. Something to represent our stupid, ugly competitors, whom we wish to characterise as not-marines that smell funny and throw like girls
- got the nod.

That done, all that was left was to implement their trademark Bad 80s Kiddie Cartoon naming convention and have the "bad guys" painted a contrasting colour. Hey presto, we're marketing geniuses. C'mon, everyone! Strategy meeting at Bugman's!

... and that's how the DV fluff got scratched out on cocktail napkins over pisswarm pints. Ship it!

>Do they think no one gives a shit?

Protip: There's no conspiracy. It's not that GW doesn't think highly of past customers - they just don't think about you at all. All of the conspiracy theorists in this thread ignore that GW hasn't cared what others thought of them since about the turn of the century, and all the Why Not anons ignore that GW has given zero fucks about plebeian concerns like balance and continuity for at least as long.

Seriously people, consider the source.