How is slavery handled in your setting(s) and games?

How is slavery handled in your setting(s) and games?

Somewhere out of sight.

In the last setting where I had it (basically Roman humans vs. Ottoman dragonborn) the human empire had slavery as a sort of voluntary indentured servitude. Slaves gave up certain rights (e.g. voting and owning property) to sell themselves into hard labor in exchange for guaranteed food, shelter, and basic medical care when needed. They could receive a sum for their time up front or at the end of their servitude or receive a pathetic wage. Being a slave still sucks but it beats starving or begging, and by making sure that slaves are kinda treated decently while they work their asses off for nothing, it helps to prevent (another) massive slave uprising. Those are expensive to quell.

Depends how much my players actually want it to be a plot element... so generally it's an underground kind of thing that isn't going to happen in most civilized areas and probably won't come up unless the players specifically go looking for it.

There are no prisons other than for ensuring that people don't run away from trials and become outlaws. They have to pay for their stay in prision. Punishment varies between fine, slavery, amputation, or various methods of execution.

Orcs in the setting run human slave camps separating men and women; apart from breeding males with females when they are good slaves.

Bad slaves are devoured as food.

Only an idiotic civilization practices slavery so only notArabs and notAfricans do it

A terrific source of souls to bargain with devils.

I got a hellish greek fire living, lung-like siphon from a devil lord out of it. It deals extra damage to devils and demons, because the devil lord hates the competition.

And no matter who we fight with, we get some kind of loot.

>The American South
>Fucking Haiti

It checks out

But everyone practiced slavery at some point.

The bird-race has conquered a race of sentient lizard-dogs

chariot teams composed of these slaves are extremely highly prized possessions among the bird-elite, and they're treated in a very nice Romanesque manner

Why does a bird person capable of flight use a chariot you may ask? To show that they're rich enough to be able to

> everyone
Not really.

Why wouldn't they? It was very prevalent throughout history and if you turn back the clock far enough you'll find slavery just about everywhere.

I live in the American South and have black players, so I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole.

smart man

I'm hesitant to include it, but most of my setting is based around the coastal equivalent of a silk road, so there would more than likely be some plantation slavery.

Of the two were it's actually been something that's come up plot or mechanically;

>Knock-off magical Rome country in LARP
It's the preferred method of punishment for a criminal if their crime doesn't deserve execution (Hint: Most crimes call for execution). Slaves work off their debt to the country and are then freed, children born into slavery are also slaves. One can buy their freedom for a set price, but good luck getting that gold as a slave.

>D&D campaign where we've recently hit name level
Having it is a negative morale modifier to your domain, but adds a positive modifier to your taxation income.

Other games just either haven't had it, or it's been something that just hasn't come up. Like the other D&D campaign where there very well could be slavery rampant across the world, or it could be absolutely abolished, but fuck if we'll ever find out when all we do is dick around in ancient ruins looking for dead people's valuables to pawn off.

"Illegal" in most countries. Only a few deal with it openly, and even fewer deal anything but non humans. Human slavery is really only open in the Southern parts of the continent, most other countries just sell tieflings and other assorted non-humans.

I swear we had this same thread with the same OP the other day

>Be GM
>Have black player
>From American South
>Introduce them to one of the cities, mention ongoing slave auction
>She perks up
>Ends up buying an elf boytoy
>MFW

Literally exactly like Rome's for one area, but the new religion from the north teaches that it's immoral and against the will of the great forge-father who made the world and watches over us all.

The Northmen have a particularly good argument for why it's wrong too, It's their massive professional army.

This exact same image, every single day. What the fuck, OP. I don't even care if you want to Elf Slav Wat Do, but at least post different pictures, you cuntboi.

Real world but with magic and monsters Pirate campaign has pcs begin as sailors running slaves from Africa.
Nobody gave a fuck when they mostly drowned cos their ship got rekt.
Evil bastards the lot of them, they'll make fine pirates.

>elf slav
>"Ei, kurwin syn, stay away from tree, blyat!"

> How is slavery handled in your setting(s) and games?
I sell slaves for fun and profit.

Gulags and POW camps. No private ownership of slaves, and also no private ownership of anything else.

Depending on the difficulty of the campaign I always have a backup plan to switch from the plantation business to the soul trade.

If I go soultrade then we usually buy a piece of property in Cheliax and purchase the proper licences before we begin. Legality is the important part here, every slave has the proper paperwork and is rightfully acquired and they will be properly provided for during their short stay in our camp before our vivisectionists begin to process them.

Its an extremely profitable business and it helps fund our world-changing expeditions so a few legally acquired and sold souls really go a long way.