Dark Souls Board Game

Is Veeky Forums backing this game? So far I'm in it for roughly 140 pounds. It looks like it's going to be great, and the makers are really listening to what the community wants and is play testing things out to see if they work.

For the core game with SG's you get 79 minis for 80 pounds, and it'll probably increase by the end of this. Maybe get to 90 minis. For that alone it's worth the price, no?

kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/description

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yL2hngajqNs
youtu.be/4VOFIIA2-fs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what kind of board game is? how is the gameplay?

There's a gameplay demo on the kickstarter page which shows off two players vs the Dancer of the Frigid Valley. Short version is that it's players vs (card based) AI, positioning is important (better to evade attacks than tank them) and the more stamina you use the easier it is to get killed.

I've gone in for it, partially because backing now gets you a load of extra stretch goal enabled stuff, and because at the very worst it should be good for a few games with my fellow Dark Souls loving friends.

Backed it.

You explore new tiles and draw an encounter card when you enter a new zone. That'll determine your fights there. In the finished product there should be traps, hazards, etc. that vary depending on the tile. For the mini bosses and final bosses they have an actions deck that's randomized so you don't know what they'll be doing, and iirc they switch up tactics at various health levels.

What mega boss(es) are people going for? I've put down enough money for one so far, but am undecided for what I want. Honestly I want Manus and the charioteer the most so I might just have to wait for those to hit retail.

4 Kings.

I need to paint those. I need it so bad.

Yeah I'm waiting to see the render on those. Could be really awesome.

I haven't painted mini's in years, and I think to completely paint all of these will take me years.

Aren't those for retailers only?

Nope! They were just unlocked through reaching a certain number of retailer's pledge level.

All of them.

Yes they're only for retailers to sell. I was saying I'd have to wait for them to go on sale.

NO

THEY ARE NOT

Learn to read you pack of wild niggers.

Retards. We were talking about Manus and the Execution Chariot. They are sold only through retailers.

Gameplay looks like it's going to be crap.

You mean your face looks like it's crap.

Gaping Dragon, maybe Kalameet or Asylum Demon.

I find it funny that dragons are such a large proportion of available mega bosses. Which game is the Guardian Dragon from, though? I don't recognize it at all.

I'm getting it. Looks awesome.

I'm actually thinking of backing out of this since the campaign looks lazy and I don't care about most of the freebies they offer to backers. I don't really want to participate only to sell off (most) of the stuff.
Anyone care to convince me to stay?

Dark Souls II. It was a pretty forgettable boss, honestly.

Guardian Dragon was a shit boss that became a regular enemy right after you fight it.

IIRC it lost a few moves but yeah. Shit boss altogether. Died laughably easily to Great Resonant Soul.

I can't find an in-depth analysis of the gameplay, so I'm probably going play it safe and pass on it.

my brother is backing it for all its worth. 270 for everything.

is it worth it for me to get a core set on my own? we only play together and with friends. i was wondering if 2 core sets could be useful.

playing it safe would be to back it and then sell it if you dont like it. you will get your money back and more.

Don't. Save the money for the future expansions in case you like the game.

Looks pricey. Why I shouldn't just buy the videogame?

miniatures. lots and lots of cool cheap as fuck miniatures.

So is this just Kingdom Death?

With worse quality minis (they come pre-assembled)

I want to back this but i don't think my friends will like this game too much, and as much as i want the models it is a bit pricey.

But Dancer looks so gorgeous.

Lol no?

Kingdom Death is a awesome game with really good miniatures.

This is a much worse game with much lower quality miniatures and budget game pieces.
Hell you only have 4 slots for gear compared to the 9 in KD.

Not to mention the stretch goals are insulting.
I don't know if it's worse they put barrels as stretch goals or that they did it TWICE.

I'm in the hole for about the same. Gotta get me some sweet sweet darkroot basin+4kings or Kalameet.
I'm interested to see the big 2.5mil pounds reveal could be.

You tell him!

"Worse quality minis" just means "not the best money can buy."

I wouldn't call KD minis the best you can buy. They're nice but nothing special. Way better than monopose pre-assembled trash though.

Wait, do they even have the rights?

Agree about pre-assembled, but out of curiosity, what minis do you think are best? Any recommendations?

Yes. They even couldn't reveal the stretch goals quickly enough at the beginning of the campaign because they had to pass everything by Bamco.
Yeah, but you get 76 monopose pre-assembled trash, plus barrels!

For me Infinity is by far the best. Metal is amazing to work with. Weight is nice. Plus the details are very fine. Way nicer than what you can produce with plastic.

>plus barrels!
yay

Nice! Anything fantasy, by any chance?

REd Box line by hasslefree. The Artemis Black stuff.

Super good quality, may be a little big depending on what scale you're used to but I think they're unbeatable in terms of fantasy models right now. They're exceptional well designed.

I'm thinking 2.5 mil will probably be Artorias or Gwyn, something that really stands out.

Artorias is already in Darkroot expansion.

Didn't care for the gameplay, but got in for the character models and an excuse to build terrain (I'd rather play on that than flat tiles if possible).

Not bothered with boss expansions because I can't afford them on top of game+shipping.

I'm in but I'm just getting the base game unless they do a Nito boss expansion I'll have to buy that shit.

You two are fucking retarded, Manus and the charioteer are RETAILER ONLY bonuses you moronic cunts.

After watching gameplay, my issue is that it looks more like super dungeon extreme than its own game. positioning is cool, but I don;t see how hard, but fair can mix well with rng.

Maybe the players in the demo were retarded.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion that this game uses SDE dice without the heart/potion side?

Yeah there's a 100% chance you could sell the core game plus all the expansions you get for more than you paid. The SG expansions alone will retail for about 100 pounds. And we're probably getting another expansion on top of those.

How does it look lazy? I agree they should have ironed more stuff out before beginning, but the up side is that they are considering a lot of input from the community and trying things out. I think it will be a better game than it would have otherwise.

But we are getting 5 free expansions at this point, and probably 6 by the end of the campaign. Possibly even 7. I don't consider that insulting.

Do eet, faggot.

But the context was the megabosses.

Of the megabosses:
Manus, Last Giant, and Chariot are retailer only.
Gaping Dragon, Guardian Dragon, Kalameet, 4kids, and Ass Demon are not.

All of the listed models are "megabosses".

Backed it, might get a second copy of the invaders pack because I can't decide if I should paint them as normal or phantom.

Oh, I hadn't noticed they added that. Gwyn, then.

I'm the OP the faggots were talking to. I first started talking about megabosses, and then said that I might just wait for Manus and Chariot. It was at this point that the retards started claiming they were all available for backers.

Oh.

I might go to my FLGS and see if they backed, ask about retailer goals.

Does anyone know if the Add On unlocks have been confirmed as either Kickstarter Exclusive or being available later at retail?

There's multiple Mega Bosses I'd like there but I don't really want to go all in because I have some doubts still.

Nothing is KS exclusive. That said, the mega bosses are supposedly going to be 35 pounds at retail versus 28 pounds in the KS. So, yeah, $50 for a mini. And a tile or two, and some cards.

this is obtainable, unlike kd

I'm thinking of getting this along with the darkroot expansions. That sound like the most bang for my buck?

>metric shit-ton of minis
>obtainable

If by "obtainable" you mean "delayed out the ass with an eventual coin flip between paper-thin garbage that was used to push minis or scamstarter that disappears into oblivion" then yes.

It really scares me that they aren't showing their Dancer mini that they had at preview events.

3D renders aren't worth shit. I've seen too many disappointing casts come from them.

What are the chances that this whole game colossaly fucks up? Like unfun to play, really shitty models, or just flat out doesn't release content promised? I don't know the history of this company nor have played a game like it before.

This is correct.

I missed kingdom death when it was cheap.
Now it would cost me ~700 dollarydoos.

Well the guild ball models are good IMO, so they can at least sculpt, and I've seen this sort of plastic used to good effect before, but I just don't know.

I dunno how well Guild Ball delivered but at least it gives some credence to this company not being clue less when it comes to mass producing miniatures.

The gameplay I'm on the fence about, I definitely want something simpler so I can share it with others easier. And I think it's better for their marketing to do that, it already draws comparisons to KDM so I think it's better not to go for the complexity of that game, but I worry that they are currently leaning too far the other way.

My thing is, in terms of gameplay, I have faith that no matter how bad the company could screw up, there will be a kickass fanmade ruleset out there, one of the best things about tabletop games is you don't need to follow the rules to the letter.

True, I couldn't enjoy Arkham Horror until we house ruled in some things. I'm always hesitant though because those are iffy. Worst case scenario though, I buy it and sell it because I'm sure it'll go up.

For everyone looking for the ACTUAL gameplay descriptions, here's the video for basic gameplay
youtu.be/yL2hngajqNs

And the boss battle system
youtu.be/yL2hngajqNs

IMHO it feels VERY ingaging. Could see the system being used for other smaller Tabletops.

THIS is the boss video, my apologies...
youtu.be/4VOFIIA2-fs

Dat dumb ass F.O.B on the video "I rearry riked it!" Not backing this one, leave the video game as it is.

My problem is that it is mostly player characters and invaders. We get something more interesting as far as enemies go in Darkroot expansion, but it's not backer bonus, you know? Everything human is for free and for anything interesting you need to give more cash (and my wallet is drained of all life due to the shipping). It feels like a random roguelike like this, lacking the weird monster design. I know the feeling of exploration can't be captured by a dungeon crawler and I can just go and play the video game, but it still kind of irks me.

I guess my main problem is that I feel this campaign could have been better if Bamco let Steamfoged do what they think is right instead of monitoring their every fucking decision. Not to mention they basically said they are just going to reuse the flavor text you get inside the game and that they are not allowed to make anything interesting with the models (and wow, do I hope they fix the Gargoyle, it looks like a mix of a dog and a monkey with really ugly wings, compared to in-game. I know it's still wip, but it bugs me).

Comparing this with that Conan board game makes me sad in some weird way...

Join us! We need to hit that sunbro reward!

So am i correct in seeing that there are ABSOLUTELY NO KS exclusive items in this KS? cool!

pretty much, yes. you get to buy it all regularly in retail at a later date.

ok, just read that retailers get an exclusive mystery item.

mad i cant afford jack right now.

so many kickstarters ive seen have a ton of exclusives, always pissed me off. glad i'll be able to get it later when i have cash, even if its likely double the cost in total.

I don't think it will be much more expensive. I think they need to keep everything predictable to make Namco Bandai happy. I think it was mentioned 28 pound expansions will be 35 pound or something.

I missed out on getting Kingdom Death at a decent price, this is very tempting to me just for the minis.

Backed for minis, gameplay would be a nice bonus

That appears to be the case, though I'd feel bad for anyone who has to pay full price and doesn't get those 5 expansions considering that's over half of your playable classes, half your enemies, all of your decoration minis, half your bosses, and all of your invaders and armor set minis.

yeah, sucks for me and others, but at least we can still get them.

I'm probably going to wait until there's a full game on TTS so I can demo it for real. Then if it's fun i I'll get a copy to play with my friends.

Unlocked by the power of Jolly cooperation!

Has a videogame based board game ever been good?

Better question is, were the minis any good?

well videogames OF boardgames are always usually shit, I know no examples of boardgames of video games off my head though.

I really like the X Com game

There haven't really been a lot desu.

Doom game was decent, if you don't have anything else to play? I vaguely recall hearing it wasn't a total shitshow, at least.

I've been kinda curious about the WoW boardgame but never had the chance to try it out.
The old Warcraft 3 boardgame was pretty meh... Only played it for half an hour though.

The Starcraft boardgame actually is pretty fun and complex, but IM-POSS-IBLE to get hold of these days! The going rate seems to be at least 2,000+$... A friend of a friend did sell his copy to a russian kid, some teenage son of an oligarch or somesuch, for 11,000$, so that's a thing that happened.

Metal Gear Risk
HaloClix
horrible Monopoly reprints

Haven't played it personally, but Gears of War is meant to be surprisingly good.

Are you counting card games? Pokemon wasn't bad.

Seconding Gears of wars, it had a very interesting AI mechanic.

I somewhat reluctantly canceled my pledge last night. I have enough models, I dont need a ton more. Mainly though, the gameplay didnt really appeal to me. Just looked pretty boring. The tiles didnt really impress me either, but thats just nitpicking.

That's kind of the case with the video games it's based on too. Through an initial bout of trial and error with occasional hardstops at a new boss, you'll gain the experience required to master the system and exploit it.

Dark Souls isn't that difficult after you've played through it. It's difficult at first because you don't know the rules. After that it becomes significantly easier. I imagine this will be similar: learn the system, learn the boss and you're golden. The RNG elements represent the inherent unpredictability of the game even once you've practices up.

How would invasions even work? Some form of 300ib "that guy" comes over and slaps your table with his model, giving the "what are you gonna do about it" look towards you?

Presumably an invader or two gets slipped randomly into an encounter deck so you have a chance of drawing it.

I'm fairly certain the recasts will start popping up when it comes out.