I talked to my party and they are keen to have a game playing as the council of the High Lords of Terra

I talked to my party and they are keen to have a game playing as the council of the High Lords of Terra.

Obviously this is pretty ambitious and will result in advancing the story... but we will just ignore that for the time being. I'm looking for a system that I can bastardize in order to run the game, but so far I'm thinking something along the lines of:

>turn based (the time between each meeting can be a year or two in order for shit to actually happen)

>Random events each turn dictated by a D100 (With extreme events like a hive fleet invading the galaxy having a chance to occur)

>Some sort of system to represent internal politics and pressures within the group (for example: the Ad Mech player is more concerned with defending forgeworlds than the Ecclesiarchy player) as well as without the group (judging the loyalty of generals and governors and what not)

>Some sort of way to manage deployment of imperial military forces as well as a way to determine the outcome of both large scale invasions and raids

>A method of breaking the imperium up into manageable blocks (I was thinking Sub-Sectors and judging the percentage of the Sub-Sector lost. After giving each Sub-Sector a strategic purpose and output the players can be given a penalty for each sub-sector lost), but I don't think it's smart to either over-complicate or over-simplify things here

Thoughts? Any systems that we should look at?

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_sectors
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Executive Decision
You basically play as Secretaries (defense, treasure, etc) working for the POTUS.

I get the feeling you should keep an eye on the Fabricator General since he may be the kind of player who thinks it would be funny if Mars started a civil war with Terra.

You're right it is ambitious

For random events make a player roll a D6 and use the result to roll on a D100 chart

Maybe something like:
00 - 50: Political Intrigue
51 - 75: Ork Waagh
76 - 77: Notable Dark Eldar Incursion
78 - 80: Notable Eldar Incursion
81 - 85: Necron Incursion
85 - 98: Chaos Invasion
99: Tyranid Hive Fleet Arrives

Then make them roll D10 for the severity of it, then roll off for the location it occurs (no idea how you're going to manage that; necrons, Eldar and Nids can be random, but obviously Chaos and Orks are going to come from somewhere). Make another d100 list for political intrigues for them to play around with.

Maybe make it 5 Segmentums, with 10 Sectors, each with 10 subsectors. That could help you delegate random locations

Or the inquisitor

MY NIPPLES ARE PILLLL DISPENSERS

THE RED WILL RISE AGAIN
REMEMBER THE WAR OF TERRAN AGRESSION
I WISH I WAS IN MT OLYMPUS

Banana pulp is good for lubricaring cogwheels~

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_sectors

I found a list of 75 sectors, so maybe I should go with 20 per segmentum? Trying to quantify a fictional setting is pretty much impossible though

Thanks might give it a look

End times is upon us after all

MOUNT OLYMPUS IS ON TERRA YOU DAMN GEARHEAD!

MACHARIUS DIDN'T GO FAR ENOUGH!

Since a sector is a 200ly cube, the galaxy can fit 15 million sectors. Since most of it is not controlled by the Imperium, a million sectors would not be far from the scale we are dealing.

That hurts my head. 1000 sectors is the most I'm will to comprehend

Yeah galactic numbers are retardly big. I don't blame you. Maybe considering one thousand "capital sectors" or hotspots would work.

Rolled 1 (1d6)

Maybe make 95 onwards a roll on a chart of really bad things?

Rolled 15 (1d100)

Keep in mind, there are 15 million potential sectors. But a vast majority of them are 'empty' (in terms of viability to the Imperium) or corrupt/lost to the Warp/full of dangerous DaoT monstrosities/etc in a way that makes the Imperium unable to actually meaningfully interact with them. They'll still TRY - colonists and conquering armies get sent off on impossible crusades every day - and doctrine states that those sectors belong to Mankind by divine right, but they're functionally irrelevant except as a sort of bureaucratic black hole that resources fall into from time to time.

I like these ideas. I'll do away with subsectors in favor of a nice rounded number of 1000 relevant sectors. I'll block them up into groups of 50, then give each Segmentum an even 200

I'll give some xenos factions like the Tau control of sectors that aren't counted in this initial 1000, but the players are going to lose far more sectors than they could hope to gain from these factions so the number controlled will never rise above 1000

1- Inquisitional issue
2- Ad Mech issue
3- Navigator issue
4- Administratum issue
5- IG/IN issue
6- Ecclesiarch issue
7- Segmentum governor gets hurt feelings (1d5 to decide which segmentum)
8-10 Sector rebellion

It depends on if you think the High Lords actually have much direct involvement with what happens in the galaxy or if they're jury distant oligarchs mad with power and position.

If you want huge scale political intrigue I'd use Kingdom and make sure everyone has a decent understanding of the lore, or Reign if everyone wants a more crunch mechanical game. Either way could be cool.

If you go option two, 40k as a grotesque parody, I'd use fiasco. Shit would be bananas.

>40k with Fiasco
>Each session represents one year.

>Segmentum governor gets hurt feelings

Pic related. High Lord's reponse.

Rolled 5 (1d10)

>40k Fiasco centered on the high administratum and its labyrinthine clusterfucks
I... I want this.

I think we're looking at having quite a bit of involvement so I'll definitely have a look into those two systems. Fiasco sounds pretty fun too though I can only imagine the shit they'd get up to.