Alright Veeky Forums, what's your favorite monster?

Alright Veeky Forums, what's your favorite monster?

Other urls found in this thread:

1.bp.blogspot.com/_ahaPoyH_5oo/SwcknArH7RI/AAAAAAAAAL0/WrRQpInHhQQ/s1600/Metallic Dragons - Orium Dragon.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=YORDYxR530w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

inb4 Man

Succubus unredeemed

Iron man was a fucking douche in civil war

Muh dead parents muh random white guilt black kid wahhhhh

>he doesn't know what inb4 means and assumes I'm talking about Iron Man
you need to be 18 to post here
Then again he was a douche in comics civil war
Oh wait that was one of the stupid points of that arc

Gelatinous cubes. They are almost as iconic as mimics and beholders.

that was a fun fight. interesting design. shame the game also had three monkeys in it, instead of one monkey and two other interesting monsters.

I can't remember the name of it but it was an evil tree that grew people shaped fruit that would wander around and capture victims to feed the tree with

Sounds like something you'd find on /d/

Beholders, no contest.

Depends on the setting.

Yellow Musk Creeper

Always been partial to the manticore.

That thing from the Sunless Citadel, right? Kinda found it meh myself.

I don't see what was wrong with Kecha, Congalala, and Rajang especially since Rajang is on a whole different level then the other two but then I'd say Rajang's thing is more being an Ogre then a monkey.

That said

Zinogre hands down

>I can't remember the name of it but it was an evil tree that grew people shaped fruit that would wander around and capture victims to feed the tree with

Orcwort?

There's nothing wrong with them individually, I just wish they'd done more interesting things than, "well, we did a monkey, how about a gorilla next?"

Yes this thing. Thanks user.
>This giant plant wanders by night until it finds an appropriate spot to settle, then sinks some of its roots into the ground, making it seem that an immense tree has grown up in the spot overnight. Over the course of the next week, the orcwort produces five to twenty pods that, when mature, break open to release mobile fruits called wortlings. The parent plant then sends out its wortlings in hunting parties to bring back warm-blooded sustenance—usually livestock and humanoids. An orcwort is capable of devouring the entire population of a small village in a single feeding. Once it has stripped an area of warm-blooded animal life, it moves on in search of other population centres.
Spooky

Sounds like the Ninmenka from an Inuyasha episode.

That shit gave me the heebie jeebies

This. Such an iconic monster and great for that "Shit just got real" moment.

I believe Rajang is a Baboon, not an Ogre.
I wish there were more mammals in MH4. The Wyverns and Dragons got a little dull after a while. Online apparently has a beaver monster.

Also: Tribal minotaurs

You already posted it.

Turned that fucker into a skeleton carrying apc mofo.

Fast zombie hollowed out. Was viciously deadly.

Ended up getting my cohort dread knight to ride into battle against a circle of Druids/casters.

spider climb/silence is a helluva combo.

Yup, that's mine too. Bulettes are awesome. Its been my fav since I got started in 3rd edition.

I played as one in a Halloween monster game. My friend played a Xorn. He could phase through ground and I could burrow. He surfed on my back and we burst into a castle to fight a vampire.

People.

Otherwise, wolves. Like, actual dangerous wolves.

Mimics.

My favorite use of the mimic, I think, was when the players walked into a room with two "gargoyles" and a chest. They poked one gargoyle in the chest to see if it was hostile, and one player asked them very politely to "please be friendly we're not enemies and don't want to fight."

Then they fucked that chest up. A handful of spells and several power attacks later, one of the "gargoyles" reverted back to a mimic and latched onto the player in the back.

To the polite player's credit, the other gargoyle really was a gargoyle, and changed its pose to "hey man, I didn't know that was a mimic, I don't want any trouble either."

Aboleth, everything about them is cool as fuck.

He wasn't a douche in the comics, he was a straight up villain that we were supposed to think was in the right for some stupid fucking reason.

He was wrong in every way, broke every fucking rule, and fucked the whole Marvel universe hard, but he was 'in the right' according to Marvel who apparently wants to promote the idea that the government can do no god damned wrong.

At least the writers knew it was stupid as fuck and even had a character (Squirrel Girl of all people) express as much in one small scene.

That said,

Sexy rust monster.

I too enjoy bulettes, they're like mini-Tarrasques that hate elves almost as much as Veeky Forums does.

Really liked that 3.5 splatbook spell that lets rangers and druids turn into them, being able to cast and then burrow underground for your move action takes people off-guard.

I can't choose. There's too many.

Balor? Dragon? Nightwalker? Banshee? Lich? Atropal?

I have no idea.

Pic related. Giant panther-looking dragons that live in jungles, love ancient ruins, and breathe acidic snakes.

Whether it's the huge one in elder evils or the medium size ones, I love the Worm That Walks. Such a cool monster. Big guy works great as the subject of worship for a cult while its smaller counterparts work as false liches. I always include these guys in my campaigns.

The Mk I

Dracolich.

> Majesty of a dragon
> Intelligence and insanity of a lich
> Top bantz of a skelly

I used one as the BBEG of my last campaign, while doing my best Robert California impression.

Any kind of worms, really. They are just so versatile regarding environments. Close second is the necromantic Zombie for the same reason. Classics really.

Acidic snakes?

Tell me more.

Mekillot, son.

griffons are up there

some day i will play a paladin who has a hippogriff mount, it is legit one of my life goals

maybe i could convince a DM to let me use find steed and cast it at 3rd level to get a higher CR steed?

woman

And they are so damn cute as babies.

>Mythological
Centaurs and Kentaurides
Most, if not all the Mermaid myths (Sirena, Likanaya, Jenny Greenteeth, etc)
Harpies.
Fenja and Menja, two Jotun sisters who grind an army into existance.
Would you count Valkyries as Monsters?

>Contemporary
Drider
Shelob
Most 'taur' creations, human to the waist, creature to the neck.

>Historical
All the proto-horses.
They look so damn cute.

what about the ice age horse gorilla?

Shredstorm. Basically an electric powered tornado of adamantium shuriken.

SCP-035

>Liking SCP
>even once
There might be a community further up its own ass, but I haven't seen it.

>There might be a community further up its own ass
Care to elaborate? I don't know anything about SCP aside from its one game that came out a while back.

Blink dogs. They can let themselves outside to do their business without the need for a doggie door.

GOOSE
HYDRA

It started out as a fairly interesting wiki of weird and dangerous fictional objects and organisms, but as time went on the number of ridiculous objects that don't fit the original tone at all went up, test subject prisoner deaths skyrocketed to absurd levels as people added high body counts to SCPs to make them seem more dangerous without actually writing in a way that would give that feeling, and the moderators got more and more controlling and self centered, writing themselves into just about every SCP object. The head moderator's character is heavily implied to be Satan. There are SCPs that are favored/overpowered to absurdity, notably the one that survived getting shot into the sun and hates everything, except for a littler girl that everyone else hates.

It's kind of a septic pit with a rare gem amongst the turds as it is right now.

You mean this creepy thing, the Chalicotherium?

Yes, in a 'Oh my god, it's going to tear me apart and not even care', kind of way.

>muh random white guilt black kid wahhhhh

it was the guilt of a mother and her dead son you fucking braindead /pol/ shit

>Where'd mah pic go?

Why are nuckelavees so underused in fantasy? They're like centaurs, but way more metal.

>SCP
Sorry, you must be over 18 to post on Veeky Forums.

Weirdly enough, a whole lot of games have this exact monster. It's practically one of the standards you will find in many system's monster manuals, next to the dragons and the minotaurs. I'm not sure why.

TURNS OUT IT WAS MAN

This is an absolutely terrifying concept. So much honking.

Don't forget the one they are trying to kill but is immune to absolutely everything up to, and including, black holes.
BUT, is harmed enough by hydrochloric acid to keep it contained.

Really inconsistent writing, constant power creep and a refusal to really retcon any old stuff to keep up already reeks of lazy writing.

They're so cute but so deadly.

I mostly agreed with what you said up until the end there. The idea behind 682 is not power wank but to prevent power wank. It's the same kind of benchmark entity/autist bait as The Lady of Pain, Squirrel Girl, or pic related; the idea being that if you can beat it you are powerwanking too hard.
The throw into the sun was a joke article, you can tell by the j in the id

Sea Serpent. There is something cool, scary, and majestic about these monsters.

Otyugh. No campaign is complete without an otyugh.

>tfw they used to be real millions of years ago

You'd be smug too if you were a skinless murder horse.

I can agree with the concept, but if your OP defense is way too fucking powerful in the first place then it becomes kind of ineffective.

Transapient AI. Or evil robots for short.

Amorphous non-slime or irregular shaped creatures are my favorite
So fungal and or swarming alien types

Doesn't explain why they are afraid it's immune to 123.
Once you hit that level, your anti-powerwank is literally just powerwank.

>Centaurs and Kentaurides
>Most, if not all the Mermaid myths (Sirena, Likanaya, Jenny Greenteeth, etc)
What about a Mermaid Kentauride?

I dunno man I just like reading the profiles

Slivers, always and forever.

Sparkledogs

Patachu

Joseph Stalin

That looks more like a Moropus with its knuckles facing up.

Aw yeah, Raggamofyns! I love those guys.

Motherfucking Formians

Not only are they completely awesome Lawful Neutral ant people, but they occupy a huge part of Mechanus (infinite, gear-filled, plane of law) and are led by the Scion Queen Mother, a pseudo-deity Formian Queen who is attended to at all times by THIRTY THREE Gargantuan sized Formian Queens, which she is still much larger than.

I use these bastards in every game I run, and attempt to befriend/enslave at least one Formian worker (like, regular ants, they can lift multiple times their own body weight) whenever I play a character that encounters them.

Your mom.

Man when i was a boy and all i did was read books about monsters the nuckelavee was bar none one of my favorites. No doubt ones gunna be in one of my campaigns

I think the the aboleth is the coolest. A psychic fish that makes humans worship it like a god for some reason just gets me excited to make a campaign based around aquatic exploration and shadow over innsmouth-esque encounters and plot hooks.

Look up to see this out my coffee shop window. the reason I carry a mace

My black sliver of the same hive.

You forget that even their children have a generational genetic memory that goes back to the birth of the world. And that they are scared of the Ithillids because they cannot remember them.

That's because the mind flayers come from the future and seem to be in some sort of time loop.

The aboleths reaction to this can be sumised thusly.
FUCKING ITHILLIDS GET OUT OF MY PLANS BLUUUUUUUBBBBBB!!!"

Heh, my lizardman fighter/barbarian bit the face of one off, good times

Thor is that you?

Do you like selkies? I like selkies.

They BREATHE snakes???

Jep
1.bp.blogspot.com/_ahaPoyH_5oo/SwcknArH7RI/AAAAAAAAAL0/WrRQpInHhQQ/s1600/Metallic Dragons - Orium Dragon.jpg

This reminds me

>swimming in blood, breathing ashes
>tears of glass and walls of concrete
youtube.com/watch?v=YORDYxR530w

Literally why? Like this is a racial trait? This would be like if skunks sprayed clouds of stink in the shape of bears. If it's a spell I can get it, but I don't think that's what's happening here.

They're dragons. They've got millenia of magical fuckery under their species' collective belt. Poison that takes the form of a snake is hardly the weirdest thing a dragon does, let alone breathes. I mean shit, there are dragons that breath force. Not air, just raw force.

Yeah, but those are forces. This is LITERALLY a racial trait that displays in the form of a totally unrelated species. Again, it's like the skunk example. Magic or not, this is just fucking bizarre.

Yes I do.

>Yeah, but those are forces.
What does that even mean? user was talking about literal simple "force".

Sorry, I keep forgetting how retarded Veeky Forums is. You see I was trying to explain why you're fucking stupid. That kind of thing is lost on Veeky Forums because you niggers are so stupid you almost make /x/ look intelligent.

How the fuck are nerds this fucking dumb?

Sorry, I keep forgetting how retarded Veeky Forums is. You see I was trying to explain why you're fucking stupid. That kind of thing is lost on Veeky Forums because you niggers are so stupid you almost make /x/ look intelligent.

>"you're right, video games ARE enjoyable"
I laugh every single time, that's the best part.
>hexxus/tim curry in the bulldozer
almost as good, it's a nice touch.