MTG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Favorite deck?
>Next MTG Purchase?

Do you like the current Modern Metagame?
(picture below)

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-uw-tron-25157#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The current Modern Metagame.

Been playing the UWR Nahiri deck online and it seems great. Going to build it in paper.

I'm back to Jund, but just can't seem to like Kalitas very much. I mean sure, he's a very good hate card for Abzan Company and is also pretty solid against BGx and even URx to some degree, but in other matchups he feels like a very slow stabilizer, which I find way too sluggish in the aggro matchups like Burn. In some matchups he just feels horrible and makes me question why I even play it.

It's not bad, but the deck names could really use some help.

Sorry to everyone who replied something came up and I had to leave computer. This is my kitchen table deck and im wondering if I can play with the big kids on modern night.

I don't know what the modern people play, I'm usually a standard or EDH player I've heard the owner talking to a regular about scapeshift and affinity though if that counts for anything

>I've heard the owner talking to a regular about scapeshift and affinity though if that counts for anything
Are you suggesting that the owner talking about meta decks means that those decks necessarily see play at that store?

>storm not even tier 3

Feels bad

what's a fun control deck that doesn't feel like you're just prolonging the game infinitely

>Jund
10/10
>Burn
That's alright, much classier than Red Deck Wins and more obvious than Sligh
>Abzan Company
Its name has been debated ever since it became a thing, but Abzan Company is by far the best. We had stupid shit like "No Pod Melira" and "Anafenza CoCo" and it was a mess.
>Affinity
The legacy of its name should not be defied. 10/10
>Infect
Not sure what else it could be. Poison could be cool, but Infect is what people are used to.
>Tron
See Affinity.

>Jeskai
10/10
>Zoo
Animals beating face. Probably the best deck name out there for Modern.
>Merfolk
IMO it's better than Fish and there's no real alternative.
>Scapeshift
No problem here. Valakut could also work, but Scapeshift is the card people see before scooping.
>Abzan
10/10, objectively better than Junk because it runs Siege Rhino, the ultimate Abzan card of Khans of Tarkir.
>Kiki Chord
No real alternative and the name immediately tells us what the deck is about.
>Grixis
10/10
>Ad Nauseam
Can't be much else. Could be Lightning Storm. See Scapeshift.
>Death and Taxes
See Affinity.
>Titan Shift
It's okay. I do like RG Valakut or even RG Scapeshift better though.
>Elves
Can't be much else.

>Bogles
It's either that, Hexproof (like Infect) or Auras. Bogles is the name all people know though, but I'll give you that Auras could work.
>Living End
See Ad Nauseam.
>Eldrazi
See Elves.
>Naya Company
It's either that or "Big Zoo", which is poor.
>Goblins
See Elves.
>Suicide Zoo
I like this one, but I could see Death Zoo or Shadow Zoo work, or even simply Death's Shadow.
>Lantern Control
Should be Lantern. It's a prison deck. Also the old name "Top Control" is horrible because THE Top is not Modern-legal.
>Blue Moon
It's cute. UR Moon also works I guess.
>Grixis Delver
See Elves.
>Temur
10/10
>UR Delver
See Elves.
>Griselbrand
I like Grishoalbrand, but Griselbrand works too. Goryo's Vengeance would be nice too.
>Mardu
10/10
>Taking Turns
I like Turns better.
>Dredgevine
I love this one.

>Wizards does unbans finally
>Tier 1 is literally not even touched

I wonder if they'll notice they could unban a lot more

Temur Scapeshift, BTL Scapeshift

Blue Moon

Jeskai is on the rise to Tier 1, it's a matter of days.

RDW.

Should I invest in Jeskai or will it get banned?

It's going to take some time. Those decks have been staples since Modern was a thing.

Before anyone says this guy is wrong.
>HURR DURR ABZAN COMPANY
It's just Pod reborn.

Should Affinity still be considered Tier 1 if it gets consistently blown the fuck out Day 1? Lots of people are playing it, but evidently it is no longer good. TWELVE decks in T2/3 have higher Day 2 percentages despite less overall play, so aren't they statistically better?

Faeries. Bitterblossom means one of you is guaranteed to die in 15 turns.

>Infect
>Tier 1

I've been living under a rock since 2013. Just what thefuck happened? How can that pile of trash be tier 1 when my jund and affinity decks won ton of matches vs infect meme players?

You really have been under a rock friend.
Go play your Jund against infect sometime, it'll be hilarious when games 2 and 3 you get maimed.

>Invest
This is a purchase to play a game for an extended period of time, not the stock market. If you want to make more money than the money you want to "invest", you have much better alternatives.

And Jeskai is not ban-worthy and they will definetely not ban a piece of a fair deck anytime soon, because they usually struggle in Modern.

Tiers are based on usage, not power level. There could be a very powerful deck we don't know about yet or an under-explored deck like Amulet Bloom waiting to be optimized.

>And Jeskai is not ban-worthy and they will definetely not ban a piece of a fair deck anytime soon
This. A million times.
One thing people seem to struggle to understand is that Fair Decks don't hardly get the axe, ever.
And if they do, it's because something else got the axe, and they just so happened to have been playing that something.

Weren't DRS and BBE banned almost solely due to jund?

Legacy naming style time.

>Jund
Rock
>Burn
Boss Sligh
>Abzan Company
Heroin Overdose
>Affinity
Affinity
>Infect
Revenge of the Dilu Horse
>Tron
Karn's Konsumate Kikery

>Jeskai
Team France
>Zoo
Zoo
>Merfolk
Tempo Fish
>Scapeshift
Toast w/ Jam (Strawberry)
>Abzan
Rock
>Kiki Chord
Kashiâ„¢ Heart-to-Heart All-Natural Breakfast Cereal
>Grixis
Mono-blue Control
>Ad Nauseam
Beans
>Death and Taxes
Death and Taxes
>Titan Shift
Big Green Men
>Elves
Little Green Men

>Bogles
Zoo
>Living End
Sunny Side Down
>Eldrazi
Spaghetti Breakfast
>Naya Company
Zoo
>Goblins
*muffled REEEEE from Miracles player*
>Suicide Zoo
Zoo
>Lantern Control
19Tezz
>Blue Moon
Mono-blue Control
>Grixis Delver
Tempo Fish
>Temur
Pile of Canadian Shit
>Mardu
Shit from Italia
>Taking Turns
Mono-blue Control :^)
>Dredgevine
Unban Survival

>>Infect
>Revenge of the Dilu Horse
Infinite keks, user

>still perpetuating the infect beats jund meme

Wew lad

I just vomitted seven times

You are correct, but I would like to argue that those pushed the deck past the 'fair' status we're all familiar with.
Also, DRS was banned in part because of a few dredge archetypes and gifts.

So you just want every deck to be named exactly what its colors and defining cards are? You're super boring.

It's just easier for communication.

It's just easier for being a boring guy. I bet you don't even like Bugs n' Thugs.

Oh yeah I remember that name. Its only purpose in life was to be a tool for shitposting.

>deck had bugs
>had thugs
>implying it wasn't a legitimate name

People liked this name ironically. If they legitimately liked it, the name would have stuck.

It's more that if the deck was good enough to stick around, the name would have stuck. It was one guy getting to day2 with it, and the deck hasn't been seen since.

How consistently can you cast Emrakul and how good is Nahiri for utility when you can not?

I've seen worse

I have burn bogles and 8whack

I want to cheaply diversify out of aggro decks, where do I go next

Would you like control, combo or a mix of both?
Also what's your budget? Are there specific cards you really want to see in your deck?

>I have burn bogles and 8whack
>file

Lost it

Budget is 400 starting and I will upgrade it to the full version as I go

Honestly I have no preference as of yet seeing as I haven't really played either, the closest to Combo I've played is through the breach and I enjoyed it but don't feel it's super competitive.

I fee like I'd like to play something blue as the only blue Card I run in any of my decks is slippery Boyle and he's simic...

Just some fun suggestions would be nice

I'm aware

A fun deck I played for a whole while is UW gifts tron, it's also tries to resurrect a bomb creature from the graveyard. Recently the thoptersword unbanning made an extra push for the deck.

example decklist: mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-uw-tron-25157#paper

So basically you have 3 combos going on with gifts ungiven:
Either gifts only Iona/Elesh and Unburial rites, making both go to the graveyard and resurrecting next turn.
Either gifts Academy ruins, Mindslaver, Crucible, smth else to be able to cast mindslaver every turn.
Either gifts the thopter sword combo with crucible and academy ruins.

Other than that the deck could consistenly win by wiping the board and colonnade beats (note if you gifts for wrath, day and supreme you get a fieldwipe in hand regardless. So you're basically playing 7 fieldwipes)

Also if you are EU based by any chance, I'm selling some UW gifts pieces ;)

I'm an Americlap, sorry. :(

Regardless, even with the gifts ungiven spike, the deck is fairly budget and pretty customizable

That deck looks cool, but i think it would lose badly to infect and afinity . Burn, too.

I had some infect matchups which didn't turn out that bad, from what I can remember I had a 50-50 chance due to path and wipes. I didn't play against affinity with the deck so I can't speak for that. Burn wasn't too bad due to the excellent sideboard option you have in white. This should be the same case for affinity now I think of it.

Though, if you're looking for other decks:

UW (emeria) titan control. Play good ETB

What's your favorite list for elves?

12 llanowar elves
some other ramping elves and visionaries
some lords I guess I dunno
maybe a coco or two

it's fucking elves, what do you want?

What is the best gifts deck currently?

This guy gets it

i heard about the best way to buy counterfeit cards but I can't find the ones from Canada as opposed to China.

Anyone know about this?

Try asking some guys under bridges, they generally know whats up

>]
they keep wanting handjobs.
time to get to work.

>Elves
>Day 2 % is 5.0%

I am really perplexed by this. I play Elves and Jund and Scapeshift aren't good matchups for the deck yet for a deck that just represents 2% of the meta and showing up to a whopping 5% on day 2 is really interesting.

Son, get some Eternal Witness and Genesis Wave in there and you can play ETERNAL WAVE.

Villa Zheng is your best bet

Thanks for replies, if I enjoy playing blue and black the most what would be the best non-merfolk approach? Not really interested in playing zoo or burn.

If you like playing blue and black your best bet is to play legacy

Mono U Tron is a semi-viable Mono U deck. It's also not too expensive(it used to be ridiculously dirt cheap but couple of spikes on cards like Academy Ruins, Chalice of the Void etc.)

It used to have a really bad aggro matchup but Spatial Contortion has made it much easier to manage. It has good matchups against other control and combo decks though. Your primary method of winning is Mindslaver lock but you can still win via other avenues of Wurmcoil/Platinum Angel beatdown as well.

I didn't mean strictly in sense of playing mono blue or black. Can be UB, UW, BR, etc. I'd just prefer playing a control deck from those colors if possible.

UB faeries is a viable t3 deck.
It uses disruption and control elements and bitterblossom to flood the board with faeries, and uses other faeries that synergise with faeries.

Fairies

I wish all decks were given names just like this

There is a brew of jeskai control that plays Nahiri and Emrakul as a wincon. Jeff Boohoogland brewed it and apparently it's bretty good.

What's the best gifts list? I have been using 4c gifts for a while now and I might change it up.

>storm not listed

Is it really that bad?

Just started playing Ad Nauseam. What do people think about Spoils of the Vault? About 80% of the times i xast it I think the card is broken and the rest of the time it exiles lightning storm and 2 ssg's and i fucking die.

So why is he still worth $10? Same for Ajani Vengeant, though that one makes more sense.

Also interested. Got settled into a well paying job so now I'm staring down the barrel of more disposible income than I know what to do with and have always wanted to build either gifts or american control.

Price memory, hasn't been hit with a ban in any format (due to not seeing play) so there hasn't been a fast dip in demand.

Ajani is a actually good

I would guess Nicol Bolas is still a decent price because
1. he's a planeswalker
2. he's a dragon
3. EDH / collector / whatever

Still no playable WR lists?
Can we save the best Guild?

Play burn without nacatl or atarka's command.

But user, Simic is UG.

Playable in Legacy Eureka-Tell :^)

Just bought a Bayou from based CHINAMAN Villa. What to expect?

They're all memes.

Expect a shitty fake and loss of pride.

This one looks pretty good.

Got a playset of foil Goblin Guides recently

They look nice

I don't know if it's the sleeve, the camera, or something else, but that card looks like it's warped and concave. Doesn't look very legitimate.

>unban survival

modern tournament on xmage

come join

is gabyspartz actually good at mtg? saw her streaming and she was 1-3 in a fucking casual league

>1-3 in casual
You answered your own question user.

yeah but Wizards are shilling her practically everywhere so I thought she has to be at least remotely good, since Melissa DeTora was actually kinda good

she's a qtie though

Boros burn is good.

Norin Sisters (Boros humans maybe?) and Heroic are also fringe playable decks.

She's "popular" because she's a girl that plays MTG. She's the perfect player for an SCG Open Round 1 on stream because she is "popular" (more viewers) and it promotes women in Competitive Magic, yet she always goes 0-3.

She's a Magic personality, not a pro.

Numot (Kenji) is also a magical personality and happens to be good at the game. A lot of magic personalities are, and should be, good at the game.

Literally who are these people

You know who's good at the game and a girl? Jadine Klomparens on tcg player. But she gets no press because she's not pretty. Meanwhile Gabby Spartz has wizards fawning all over her when she cant even string a sentence together during a feature match.

user, the worth of a woman is measured solely by her appearance