RPing in vidya

I'm thinking about role-playing in vidya, but like a faggot and unlike me playing tabletop it's harder for me to create a roleplay centric character for vidya.

It's for one of the ES games, anyone else has this issue? Also more so the purpose of the thread: what do you roleplay as in vidya? Tabletop alter egos?

Role-playing in Vidya sucks because you don't get to make your own choices, you just get to pick from the really generic, often extremist, choices the game design decided to give you. You can be a Saint with a sword, or a puppy-kicking demon, and maybe even choose a "neutrl" option once in awhile, but you're never truly making your own choices or your own story the same way you would with a real-life GM who can adapt and react and mold the story around what you do and what you want from it.

In short, I don't try to roleplay in vidya because I feel like you really CAN'T with where technology is at currently.

I don't. If there any choices, I choose what I like, not some made-up personality. Then, if game was good, I replaying with "right" choices to get the hardest ending. Simply because choices are too limited most of the time.
One exception was a randumb gnome sorcerer in nwn2, who tried to make as many people angry as possible. Still ended up chaotic-good somehow.

Three words: Space Station 13.

>vidya

What are you, 12??

RPing using computer games sucks.

News at 11.

I used to play Discovery Freelancer. It was a multiplayer mod for Freelancer.

Politics in that game were fun but some hardcore autists went out of their way to try one up their opponents (forging screenshots, attempting to get opponents banned).

I was part of a faction that maintained the balance between lawful and unlawful. We did our best to appear like a legitimate business, but we had tons of unlawful dealings on the side. We were so good at it that were often accused of being pussies for only lawfully trading (collectively we've probably smuggled megatons of drugs).

I've been playing Elite Dangerous to try and scratch my Freelancer itch..
It's not working.
Wonder if we could get enough fa/tg/uys together to bolster the Discovery server.

I've been on a space sim binge recently, how's freelancer for that? Is it available on steam?

Arelith.

It's not on steam, try gog.

My advice for starting out is lay low while you learn about the lore and current state of affairs. Grab an independent trade ship to generate some credits, then pick a faction you like and buy a small ship (a fighter or a transport depending on the faction).
Avoid purchasing capital ships as soon as you can afford them as the capspam is frowned upon (it doesn't make sense for battles to consist of 4 battleships and 2 fighters).

If you get a group together, don't go in together and try to make a faction. Splitting up and trying things for yourselves will work best. Too many times have groups of friends come along, made their own faction, messed up, and earned the ire of the server community. Mud sticks around there, so do your best to be excellent from the get go.

Also read the rules 3 times over so you're not caught out.

Good luck!

Get out.

Found the Sinfar player.

No clue what Sinfar is, but I do know that Arelith is a shitty hugbox where the only way to succeed is to suck massive amounts of DM cock.

In a single-player environment, why? You'll just end up banging your head against choices you want to make not existing in the game. Write something instead.

In a controlled (anything up to roughly a hundred) group, knock yourself out. This is where anything from No More Room In Hell to SS13 or any milsim fit. Basically, you're either playing with people you already know, people with a similar approach to the game, or anyone being disruptive is quickly dealt with. Just find something to your taste.

In a large uncontrolled environment (an MMOG, basically), you better like EVE! That's the only one I know where trying to roleplay does not jeopardise the rest of the game. And the community I've played with was pretty great. Everywhere else normal gameplay and RP run counter to each other, and you'll mostly be seeing special snowflakes trying to outflake each other in a pub.

Depends on how you conduct yourself, with hugboxing. I avoid that small minority like the plague.

As for sucking DM dick, doesn't happen half as much as you infer.

>>asking tg nerds about vidyas
Luckily i have the answer to your problems!
2 choices
1:choose a MMO and find a rp group/server
2:play Elona or Dwarf fortess adventure mode.

Elona Is THE game for doing anything but the story. Also a fun roguelike.

Mount and Blade: Warband, though political options are a bit shallow.

The only true RP vidya

You either suck DM dick, join in on the freeform RP-level hugbox, or fuck around in a world your character will never affect in any meaningful way.

Either way, there's no quality roleplay to be had at Arelith.

There's a reason that cunt jjjerm and his fuckboi Mithreas both ended up calling it quits. It's not fucking worth it.

Depends of thegame but usually in newer games, when i actually get choices, i tend to try to do what i feel character would do. Alpha Protocol, KotOR2 and Witchers are good examples

Older, "nostalgia goggles" games like Baldur's Gate or 2D Fallouts ale quite bad at this, so i usually just can't help myself of playing by "efficency", that is solving every possible quest in a way that gives me most profits in xp/money/items/unlocked content and information, even if this means acting in very contradictory ways and disregarding any in-universe thought.

on the side, there is also online rp in games like nwn and its sequel, which can be pretty good, strongly depends on the players you meet, though. Some will make you feel small by their awesomness, some will make you cringe with their dumbness.

IMO, the closest you can get to effectively role playing in a single player game, is to take a game that:

1: Has almost no in-game "plot"

2: Let's you create your own characters

And just head canon your own back stories for your characters, how they react to the places they go and things they fight, etc. It may help your immersion and get you more attached to the game.

Games where you could maybe do this: Dark Souls/Bloodborne, any oldschool roguelike, any oldschool dungeon crawl, many mmo's, etc.

Otherwise, yeah. As has been said before, you'll never really have the choices that a tabletop game with people could offer. They are really very different mediums.

>1: Has almost no in-game "plot"

This is a very solid point. Back before Minecraft was new and wasn't a synonym for autism I played survival mode while trying not to "cheese" any of the mechanics of the game. I have some pretty fond memories of smoking some weed and just spending a couple of hours exploring, foraging and making safehouses in different areas.

MUDs were pretty good... a couple... maybe.... sometimes... .... once.