Heavy Gear Blitz!

Just got some free units after running 2 tutorial matches with someone at my FLGS.

So now I'm wondering if there's a good place for tactica or general discussion because I really liked playing.

Definitely interested in some tips and tricks for for the Southern side.
Right now I have
5x Jager
1x Black Mamba
2x Basilisk (plan on running as jager proxies)
Should I get my hands on a Spitting Cobra and some recon gears ASAP? Are tanks worthwhile for the South? I like the -goth body style and look of the Ballista.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wv4AVLGFEZs
youtu.be/wO-AwhfQRa8
discord.gg/010P4rJzo1hAxo4wd
mediafire.com/download/6vjaxc9iwgta46l/Heavy Gear Universe 0.2.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Would this get more attention on /m/ or would that be a waste of time?

Sadly, HG garners next to no attention on Veeky Forums.

I think when the plastics come out, there might be more interest.

Maybe. Though the fact that DP9 couldn't manage their IP if a marketing expert bashed them over the dead with a step by step guide on how to do it doesn't help.

Yeah, that's true.

HG confuses me. It was one of the first games I bought minis for, but there doesn't seem to be anyone anywhere that actually plays it. I can't understand how DP9 manages to stay in business- is it just super popular in Canada? I mean, I made a point of checking out a bunch of games shops last time I was in Montreal and none of them carried it.

It has a fan base, just not a super vocal one. I mean the Kickstarter did quite well all things considered.

I think once the plastic models are out it'll get some more attention.

Thankfully I've got a LGS where the owner loves HGB and promotes the fuck out of it.

Reading through this thread... I'm in a similar boat.
I bought a peace river starter 3 years ago. I never got around to putting it together because I can't find other players.

I totally threw down on the kickstarter... hoping more players get into the game.

Which edition of their rules are they on now? A couple GenCons ago a friend and I picked up HG Arena. That game was fucking unplayable. I hope DP9 found better writers for their rules this time around.

they are currently doing a Living Rulebook for free download on DrivethruRPG. It has all the basic rules, and all the rules for the various factions as well.

I've been painting my models to try and run some demos at my lgs, once I can get some time, try to muster up some interest. Problem is, all the other times I've run demos, the only people that go to my gameshop are Warmahordies that say the same thing every single time; "I've already spent so much on Warmachine/ Hordes I'm not looking to get into another game". To make matters bleaker for me, my friends who were learning the game with me have all up and quit now too. One lost his entire army and has given up on finding them, and the other says he no longer has the drive to mess with any tabletop games anymore.

Being a gearhead is suffering...

Arena was rough, but Wouldn'r say unplayable.

The new Blutz rules are really quite nice, though. I'm stoked to be getting the starter set. Although that is 4 armies worth of models to paint up. At least my South and Caprice armies will have a good start point.

I would love a new edition of Arena. I loved the concept behind it.

speaking of kickstarter! Update just came in, showing the final test builds of the plastics. I am looking forward to receiving mine for sure.

Damn those don't look too bad. I will probably see how much the game costs to get into as I like the look of the mechs more than Battletecch.

Speaking as someone who backed the KS, I don't know how to feel. I'm glad and excited that it's actually, finally happening, but these look so underdetailed and soft to my eyes. Also, I know they had to make concessions for molding but the arms especially on the smaller frames are borderline inexcusable. Are my expectations just too unrealistic?

Let's be honest. You're pushing one of the most unknown, unsupported, and uninteresting settings in existence.

DP9 is a terrible company and there's a reason people gave up on them in excess of 5 years ago.

Cool concepts and art, to bad the game itself is impossible to find because anyone who tried playing any DP9 games undoubtedly got burned and gave it up.

And before you accuse me of being a 'hater' my first HG book is from 1997, so I've watched this companies rollercoaster ride towards obscurity first hard.

Their Kickstarter was literally their last hurrah and they still barely made enough money to cover equipment and tooling. If that doesn't show you that the writing is on the wall (and has been for a decade) I don't know what to say.

They look like shit because DP9 literally has no money to tool them into detailed miniatures.

Nice. I like those and I think the real proof of how well the molds work will be seeing them painted up.
I knew about HG from the PC games but didn't have a game store in my little podunk town as a teen, and even if this is their last hurrah, I hope they can turn things around enough to get a few more people playing.

I really liked what I've played and if they had a decent online presence and community, I would probably be ordering more stuff right now.

>and uninteresting settings in existence.
That's a matter of opinion, bro. I love the setting and it's my favorite mecha setting of all time.

>I don't know what to say.
Howabout nothing? Some of us like this game and setting and are really looking forward to its future. You don't have to come in and tell us why we are having badwrongfun, because we don't want it.

>You don't have to come in and tell us why we are having badwrongfun,
I said nothing like that you defensive retard.

I told you DP9 is a shit company, explained that they have never found a footing despite being in business for more than two god damn decades and were forced onto KS because literally no one, I'll repeat that just for you NO ONE would dare invest so they got a hook on a bunch of pie in the sky optimistics and still only scratched $150k.

Man I don't get why people get so but hurt over DP9 the games are fun and the settings are well thought out. Personally I'd love to have bought in but I'm tight on cash that said I still might order minis from them.or track them down as the rules are fun and a fresh feel coming from so many other games.

It's not unrelistic, but keep in mind this is a company that while they have been around for a while, this is their first foray into plastic minis, which is a completely different ballgame than the metal minis they have been doing for so long.

For the price I got them on the kickstarter I think they are just fine. If I was paying GW prices for them, I would at least be expecting GW quality.

>and they still barely made enough money to cover equipment and tooling.
That's not entirely their fault though. They are getting this stuff made in the US, and during the time of getting it all prepared, the canadian dollar tanked and they found themselves slightly in the red to cover everything. They had to cut a few corners, like a couple gears from the original promised (partially too because of issues with fitting everything they wanted on the sprues, again due to this being their first experience with plastic minis). Naturally a few people were pissed, so they said if you took issue with the cuts, they would reimburse you for the cost or provide you with metal minis.

You can take into account a safety net in running a kickstarter for delays and other problems, but a fucking tanking economy is something not easily predicted.

cool, you told us. Now we know how you feel. Can you go now? Let us 'waste our money in a shit company' in peace?

DP9 did have a rocky past in some aspects, and some people have a hard time letting go of said past. I remember a couple threads going on during the kickstarter where some anons warned us we were wasting our money and this would be one of those 'kickscam failures' but so far i see them delivering exactly what I was expecting from a kickstarter, and at a great price. You can bet I will be running demos when I get my minis painted up. I know of at least one guy that played in the past and would be interested in giving it a go.

Also Ash on GMG did a let's play of the new rules, and I really like what I see.
youtu.be/wv4AVLGFEZs

Also this one
youtu.be/wO-AwhfQRa8

Comrade.

Stop sperging out, no one cares.

> no one cares.
This is the post I replied to;
>Wah no one play game ;_;
>Why play no game ;_;
So apparently someone cares.

So I let them know why this is in fact the case. Shit you can google DP9 and get hit with forums where people talk about how utterly shit they are.

wew

You're still here? Nobody gives a shit, man.

> no one cares.
>This is the post I replied to;
>Wah no one play game ;_;
Can't read? Purposely obtuse?

Have a (you).

And here's yours. You may consider us told.

i guess that makes sense. looking at the kickstarter i kinda wish i had jumped on it at the time, but finances were tight at the time. ill have to see what this stuff retails for when its released

The arms look a bit soft to me, but they are still test props I guess. The lack of details on the hands is bugging me, but I can still live with it. Just wish the detail on the tops of the hands was better.

I'm trying to think about it from the perspective of mold pull directions but I still can't fathom why they went with the meat tenderizer hands over the old two-thumb symmetrical ones. What bugs me even more though are the elbows that seem to have no visible joint mechanism and the way some of them just stick the upper arm right into the shoulder.

Well these are what the final product will look like. With proper painting though you can make it look good i think. These are definitely not metal minis so you don't get the benefits of the rubber molds having all the little details.

The mold pull directions really are a factor in it all. But I have seen better from plastic molding. It's really not a big issue i see. More of a tell that these guys are new with designing plastic minis.

The F2-19 has a clear and noticable elbow joint, but I agree the others don't.

The arms connecting right into the shoulders I don't mind so much. Just the way they're designed.

I'm still overall happy with them, but yeah the details on the frames is just missing. Hopefully the Gears don't have the same problem. From the pictures we've seen so far I'm hopeful. Just irked that my MERCS models are seeming better detail and they're pulling double duty for a board game.

If this thread is still alive in 4 hours when I get home and if anyone cares, I'll post the current version of the Heavy Gear Universe alpha/beta/whatever rules. Sorry I haven't been keeping up on it, but I've been a bit busy.

Shit yeah, dude. Now I just hope the thread's aluve when I get home from work tomorrow.

If the thread dies, you can bet I will make a new one when I get the kickstarter test pops of the next faction they show off

I haven't had a chance to read it yet myself thanks to work, so we're both flying blind.

Thankfully looking at everything else the details look a bit sharper. I just peaked at the Gears and they all look to have clearly defined elbow joints and the likes. I wonder if it's just the design of the frames that didn't translate well. Also if the hands are flat on top on the Gears it won't be so bad because they'll be covered by the guns.

I've done reviews for magazines; I'm used to flying in blind with games.

I love DP9's RPG lines. I still buy up every Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles, Tribe 8 (especially Tribe 8) and even Core Command book I can find. Not as big a fan of the wargames, though.

A company is currently working on the RPG right now. Arclight press, i think. They are doing promos for a test pilot program and such. So i dont know anything about it because its in a closed beta.

That's what I'll be posting when I get home. Strap in faggot, time for a free sneak peek.

The biggest thing I am disappointed with these minis is none of the gears will appear to be holding the weapons 2handed. That's not too big of a deal for me because I am all about cutting up plastic minis and reposing. I'm used to doing it with flesh and bone type minis, and its even easier on mechanical ones.

Holy shit user you're awesome. If the thread is dead, please keep an eye out for the next Heavy Gear General thread.

I haven't seen one of those in a long long while, but sure

I did one before when I wanted to show off new pics of the sprues. That's the thing about heavy gear threads, they generally don't last very long unless there is something to show for them. So Ill make a general when I have something new to show.

You are correct that HG is WAAYYYY more popular in Canada and the US Northwest than anywhere else.

I know it's not worth anyones time, but I tried to paint my first Gear (I'm OP). Looking for feedback, it was also my first time attempting camo, since the only other minis I've painted have been 40k stuff and that universe isn't big on it.

I know it needs properly based and I need to work on some details (tires, bolts, etc)

Looks like a fine start to me. Though, I'm biased because I'm trying to improve, myself. does a great job with his stuff from what's posted there and what I've seen in WIP. I hope my Gears will start looking good, holding out for the day that this looks halfway decent.

Yeah, without something to talk about it's a bit tricky. Although I'm surprised we haven't seemingly discussed the new rules as much.

Seriously: the Visagoth is fucking beast now. Even more than it was before.

34 points for 12 Armor, a hull/structure of 6/2 and 3 actions? Although the base Aller is 2 points less with a 5/3.

Not too bad. I can't paint camo for shit. My South will have a two tone green scheme with something else for one shoulder to give them a little extra jazz. North will be mostly blue for the UMF. Might do a touch of yellow on them to have the two colors, but we'll see since I can't paint that well and hate trying to paint yellow.

I love how dynamic you made that model look, but the paint on the head is a bit thick. The white on the shoulder looks a bit thick, too, but then white's a bitch and a half to paint so I can't really be too critical.

Yeah, I always struggle with thinning and I think part of the problem is I use a dry palette and I probably let things dry out. But, I got a bunch of bones to practice on so, here's to hoping.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out thus far, considering it's just a lowly basilisk.

I like your paint scheme and dynamism,I agree with it looking a bit thick in spots.

So, the visigoth is worth it? I'm looking to expand my south forces quickly and I would like to discuss the rules, but since I'm new I don't know jack shit.

I can ask though; Is artillery with a recon gear as a spotter really devastating as it was in my tutorial game? We only did something like 50TL, but once the recon gears started spotting it just became a game of mortar shots going back and forth.

Okay, here we go. Sorry about the hoops, but since I'm paranoid and worried Skunk Werks might have slipped me the NDA mickey in a T&C I didn't specifically agree to in my purchase of the test pilot thing, I'm formally inviting all of you to my now existent playgroup for Heavy Gear. Tell your friends, tell your lovers. I don't give a shit. Hell, I may even run a game if I get some free time together.
discord.gg/010P4rJzo1hAxo4wd Play along nicely kids.

cool thanks. how does this work? ive never downloaded from this site. how do i get to the download?

Discord it not!skype that's a little bit better if you're not on a phone. Click on the thing on the left that says "files", there's a tinyurl there. Should've been fairly self evident, but here we are.

It's telling me I do not have permission to view the message history of #files

Try again. I forgot to change a thing

Something did change. Now it's telling me welcome to the beginning of the #files channel. No links or URLs

Just fucking end my life.

Now it appeared. I think when someone comes in new they dont see previous messages.

Got it. Thanks brother. Is this watermarked to you? If not then ill just post this up on my mediafire and relink it so you dont have to invite people to your not!skype

I think it couldn't let you see the history that was hidden from you, even after I unhid it. Is it watermarked, I have no idea but now I'm free of blame for the spread as I only gave it to my playgroup. Do as you will. The notskype can be used for lfg/whatever I don't give a shit. Just let me know so I can give people more permissions as required.

Cool. Thanks again for this. Now bedtime for me. Ill upload it to my mediafire and relink it tomorrow.

For anyone else wanting an easy download link to it
mediafire.com/download/6vjaxc9iwgta46l/Heavy Gear Universe 0.2.pdf

gnite all

If you guys could pass me critiques, I'd appreciate so I can actually give the Devs feedback

A Heavy Gear general fuck yeah!

I bought nearly all the books on DriveThru, love them all especially Tribe 8. Even managed to get a game of that once, though I was kind of young and I think I missed the point of the setting.

I will admit I pirated Core Command though.

Those all look like complete shit.

I played Jovian Chronicles only to have the GM drop it a session in. It's a shame because it's a pretty competent hard sci-fi setting that just so happens to also have giant robots.

And that's not even getting into how they're already fucking up Heavy Gear Assault despite the game not even being out yet. I have heard no fucking press to speak of, and yet they're already marketing this as an 'e-sport.' This implies that they're already planning to compete with other popular online competitive games, rather than focusing on making a good game; it's a classic case of putting the cart before the horse. They're putting themselves in the Hawken situation without having nearly as much potential to waste as Hawken. Seriously, the gameplay looks like garbage and the presentation is blatantly unprofessional.

I don't know why all of the decent western /m/ stuff have dingleberries at the wheel, but I want it to stop.

Wasn't it a GW guy (Rick Priestly maybe) who said things will go south if the sales/accounting guys end up in charge? Cause that's exactly what happened at DP9.

Not sure on the spotter/arty rules. Would have to check into that when I get home.

As to the Visagoth: absolutely worth it. They're the South's heavy tank. Hard to kill and hit hard too. Plus they look absolutely baller. Considering you can run a primary unit of 2 of them for just 64 points, then throw a third one in a support unit. Granted that's for the basic version.

I plan to grab two down the road for bigger games. Tanks hit hard in this game, and are generally worth having. You can still play without them, but big tanks like the Aller and Visagoth are great assets to an army.

Years and years of reading 2E Heavy Gear and JC has made it quite odd reading a new version.

Okay I think I'm reading this right, but someone check me here...

I roll a number of dice determined by my skill level, and add a modifier based on my Attribute?

Heavy Gear is pretty much everything I want but it's just too expensive to ship it from Canada.

Also the new plastics look awful, I'd be willing to let the low detail pass but the poses are so shit.

Yep but take the highest dice don't add them.

Unless I'm untrained in which case I take the lowest dice (I think I got that right)

Yep. Roll 2 and take the lowest. If either comes up a 1 then it's a fumble.

Well that seems easy enough...if I had an open time slot I would play this.

Sil is a fairly simple system. Though the damage resolution puts some people off, as it involves multiplication.

The numbers honestly aren't that big. Most stuff is ine the 5-25-ish range, and you're only multiplying it by 2 or 3 most of the time.

And it also makes armor actually function as armor.

>I wonder if it's just the design of the frames that didn't translate well
I think that's it. I never did like the looks of the cef battleframes. I always found them too bland or blocky, and it has become even more apparent when put in cad and made into plastic minis. The terranovan gears have always looked cooler, and from the concept cad shots, i think they will turn out cooler. Again this all really isnt that much of an issue because they look like they can be reposed easy enough.

Yeah. Doesn't bother me too much as I don't really plan to use my CEF stuff often. Might ally those new hovertanks into my Caprice, though.

>Let's be honest. You're pushing one of the most unknown, unsupported, and uninteresting settings in existence.

Unknown and supported, sure, but uninteresting? Heavy Gear is an awesome setting that could do so much more with some better marketing.

It would help if they could hold on to a distributor in Europe.

>DP9 did have a rocky past in some aspects, and some people have a hard time letting go of said past.

>I'm sure he really loves me, and that was the last time. He promised!

Its hard to get distro when your game has died 3 times.