Dark Souls LORE THREAD

Dark Souls Lore Thread: Traditional Gaming Edition.

Please feel free to discuss any theories, speculations or ask any questions you may have about any of the souls games in the trilogy.

Previous thread here:

repostan the timeline

changed some things that wouldn't make any sense and/or has been proven false

let me know what y'all think so i can keep correcting it, i'l post a new version every new thread

>I just realized, were Undead being drawn to Drangleic because that's where the Kiln was stolen to?

Well, all the undead you meed in drangleic go there because it's where they believe they can cure the curse. But of course as it turns out that was just a lie told to get you there, so yes, it's likely that whoever was pulling the strings was shepherding undead there because that was the current location of the throne of want, which may or may not be the kiln of the first flame or something related to it.

>Ornstein is killed

I hate to talk about Ornstein because whenever people mention him the discussion ends up being just about him, but i just want to point out that Ornstein's armor and weapon are some of the very few items in the entire souls series that aren't resting on a corpse.

>the four kings' downfall were their queens
>you are to become a king
>you have a queen

I'm going to try and convince my wife to let me give a daughter either Shanalotte or Nashandra as a middle name.

I don't even know where to begin, most of that is fanfiction with barely any basis on anything.

>lord vessel

He didn't steal the lord vessel, the lord vessel is literally shattered in pieces under the Majula mansion.

>Vendrick refuses to link the flame wanting a different solution

This is arguable but it seems to me that Vendrick simply gave up when he realized he was just tricked by Nashandra into doing everything he did.

>As the flame fades Shanallote's eyes turn blue

What?

>Ludleth goes to Drangleic

What? Where is it even implied that he went anywhere near Drangleic?

>Yhorm and Squidward invade Drangleic

Again what?

>Ludleth keeps the lordvessel

What?

>Drangleic is defeated and Ludleth loses his legs

What?

And that's where i realized the entire thing is fanfiction so i stopped. And i should mention that trying to make a detailed timeline of the souls universe is ultimately bound to fail because of the whole time is convoluted shit.

Jesus christ fuck off with your retarded fanfiction already, dumbfuck.

Either bait or literal autist. Please just ignore him.

To be fair he raises some good points. I don't think there is anything that suggests Ludleth , Yhorm, or Siegward having anything to do with Drangleic.

>00tn2.blogspot gr/2016/04/dark-souls-3.html
I'm looking at the Dark Souls 2 stuff on that site, how did I never hear of the unused areas in DkS2 before?

アマナのゆりかご Cradle of Amana
ソウルの吹き溜まりの洞 Souldrift Cave Like a snowdrift, only souls instead of snow.
ドラン城下街 Drang castle town
火継ぎの玉座 Firelink Throne /
Fire-Inheriting Throne
狭間の地下宮 Underground Palace In Between
契りの祭壇 Altar of the Vow
古き森 Old Forest
三連鐘楼 Triple Belltower
不死城郭 Undead Castle
殿堂 Shrine
闘技場 Colloseum

>火継ぎの玉座 Firelink Throne /
Fire-Inheriting Throne

>Firelink Throne

>Firelink Throne

Nice try samefagging retard but literally every single fucking line in your shit image contains some sort of bullshit

Just fucking die you retarded cunt.

Hmmm, i'm just taking a wild guess here but i bet firelink throne is where you would go after sitting on the throne of want.

>三連鐘楼 Triple Belltower

So you're just absolutely fucking retarded then? Okay.

How then am I retarded? For backing up in saying that trying to tie in Yhorm, Siegwarde, and Ludleth to Drangleic is almost left field speculation?

Fire, Dark, or Gray?

Whats your choice, Veeky Forums?

>Fire

Keep the party going! Keep the party going!

Fire and Dark are destined to constantly fluctuate, you can't take one without eventually having to also take the other. Grey is nice, quiet and reliable. Plus fucking dragons everywhere and shit.

I choose. THE DEEP

whoa, easy there sport, that's a whole lot of mad you have going on there!

go get yourself a cookie and lie down before you give yourself a headache

Neither, beyond the scope of light, beyond the reach of dark, there must be more to life.

Fire.
I would have begun the age of man but Yuria didn't want to have sex with me, so I wont.

What are u, casul?

Fire.

So what's the the Giantdad of DS3?

estoc + havels greatshield in rags

Is Ornstein officially dead or is he still alive and illusions of him scattered across the land.

I haven't played in a week or so, but the only thing that really stood out was that everyone was using longswords of some variety

Man that's disappointing. Looking goofy was half the fun of Giantdad and Butthole Havel.

Ornstein was dead or missing before you fought him in the first game.

He went looking for Gwyn's Firstborn/The Nameless King

I dunno, I've seen some shit with Ornstein's spear, buckler, NK's chestpiece, and the pyromancer blindfold.

Well what we know for sure is that he left Anor Londo to find the Nameless King, and the Ornstein you fight in 1 is an illusion, and we know that eventually he did find the Nameless King and left his weapon and armor in Archdragon peak. That's what we know for sure.

My headcanon is that after he found the Nameless king and realized he was a filthy dragon fucker he just gave up, left his armor and weapon and fucked off.

Oceiros then found his armor and turned it into the Dragonslayer armor you fight.

So in regards to the Deep, I'mma just put down a list of my bloodborne reference reasonings for posterity.
>Deep connected to water/ocean/abyss, yadda yadda yadda.
>Sully's black eyes resembling the collapsed pupils of the blood drunk hunters.
>Aforementioned eyes turning people into bestial monsters with bloodborne movesets.
>Sully literally owning two Watchdog of the Old Lords.
>Aldritch gaining power by eating people, a pretty bloodborne-y theme.
>Pyromancy being used by the Deacons as the means of combating the deep, suggests that it's some diametric opposite of fire, and therefore of the first flame.
>FUCKING GIANT SPIDER MUTANTS.
>Aldritch's rings giving you visceral attack bonuses.

That's all I got off the top of my head.
Point is, Sully and Aldritch are trying to make bloodborne happen, and that bloodborne probably exists as some opposed cycle, with water instead of fire.
>WET SOULS

>Aldia spends his entire life trying to find an alternative to the cycle
>Pontiff is like just throw water on the fire

Who the fuck is Jeigh?
Vendrick didn't steal the Lordvessel, he stole the throne
Fuck it I'm not reading this. What in Gods name is this fanfiction?

Jeigh is the name of the giant lord leading the assault on Drangleic, if i remember right.

no

no it's not

you retard

That doesn't make the least bit of sense. Jeigh is the name of the giant you enter the memory of, if that was the Giant Lord you would've entered HIS corpse instead of some other random giant's. Come on, Veeky Forums, these theories are fucking reddit-tier.

That's rude.

It's not "Veeky Forums", it's just that one retarded timeline guy. Ignore him.

Stop bullying timeline guy.

kill yourself you autistic samefaggot

I choose the brown wooden age of ladders, you EEJIT!

no, it's okay. i guess i deserved it, people on /v/ and Veeky Forums are also posting it just to mock it

if it makes y'all feel better i deleted the file and won't post it here anymore

Dark because of my sad waifu feelings for the firekeeper
I feel like people wouldn't accuse him of being a thief if he was just a little more clear on what he wanted from them

There's something amusing about the fact that this guy loved making ladders so much that he apparently spent centuries if not thousands of years making ladders without going hollow in some sort of jew ladder smith laboratory.

>yfw he's not even dead and he is merely pretending

This timeline bullshit seems like it assumes Drangleic, Lordran and Lothric are the same place. But this is not correct, Drang is definitely far from Lothric and since Anor Londo is near to Lothric Drang(leic) is sure to be further away.

Did the usurpation ending actually end the cycle?

it says drangleic is across the sea

What does the Age of Dark even do? What happens during an Age of Dark?
Three games later I still am not entirely sure because it never seems to properly explain it. Kaathe was peddling some bullshit about it being for humans in a game where "human" was not actually a term used to describe humans but a metaphor for darkness or some shit. As far as my current understanding goes it is an age where
>the sun goes out so it's always night time
>everyone dies/turns into a hollow
Is that it? Is that all that happens?

The Emerald Herald is legitimately the hottest, most fuckable woman in the series.

She's just got that voice you want to hear whisper filthy things while fucking her on that rock.

>and since Anor Londo is near to Lothric

I don't think that's right either, remember that the boreal valley is just another place that was dragged towards Lothric because of the fading flame.

Lothric, Drangleic and Lordran are all in different places.

Who knows, we'll have to wait for the DLC to find out what Kaathe wants with the fire.

This.

Izalith too.

Well, it's not properly explained. But what we know is that without the fire everyone goes back to their original form, which is the hollow form, and we know from DS3 that once the fire fades it all goes dark, no night time, just complete and utter darkness.

Does it do anything else? Who knows?

I still don't quite get how lack of fire = age of the dark which isn't the absence of fire but the abyss bullshit seemingly derived from the dark soul, which also comes from the fire.

Age of dark and abyss aren't quite the same, the age of dark is the absence of light, the Abyss is a "physical" place, born from Manus's dark soul.

I suppose you could say that, the Abyss is to the age of dark as Anor Londo was to the age of fire. At least that's my understanding of it.

Why were Gwyn, Nito, and Izalith all best buddies with each other but the Pygmy wasn't part of the fun club?
Was Gwyn and friends antagonistic toward the pygmy, or was the pygmy antagonistic towards them?
Isn't the Dark Soul just one of the four lord souls, a part of the natural order like the other three?

Dumping The Yhorm's Theory:

-Yhorm is the descendant of the Giant Lord from DS2.

-"Yhorm is the descendant of an ancient conqueror, but was asked by the very people once subjugated to lead them, serving as both a weighty blade and a stone-hard shield."

-Yhorm's name (this is drawing at straws) follows a similar sort of naming convention as the other giants in DS2: Vammar, Orro, & Jeigh.

-The Giants of DS2 are Hollow: Giants become emaciated, twisted and develop a hole in their face that's the equiviliant of a human's darksign. Giant's however have INDOMITABLE WILLS and do not go insane or lose their minds- when they've fully hollowed they die and turn into trees.

-Yhorm is BECOMING Hollow due to him losing faith in himself because of his number of failures. His face is becoming visibly more unnatural sunken in and dark- dark beyond what would be normal for a face within a similar metal coif.

-Grasping at straws, but: Yhorm also possesses a similar fashion souls to his great grandfather.

The pygmy was furtive.

It just hid and was out of sight, that's my assumption.

I've run that, never seen anyone else do it though. I just wanted something appropriate to play while listening to AC/DC's Thunderstruck on repeat.

So why exactly are we saying that the Ornstein fought in DS1 is an illusion? Just because we find his armor somewhere far away from Anor Londo?

I don't buy it. Ornstein drops his soul when you kill him. Illusions don't have powerful souls like that. Gwynevere didn't leave a soul if you kill her.

If the age of dark is just a lack of fire, how is it different from the age of ancients?

Ancients had neither fire nor dark, those came from the four lords souls found in the beginning. Fire, chaos, death, and dark.

For one, Smough is specifically referred to as the last knight to defend Anor Londo.

It's also mentioned that Ornstein left to find the Firstborn before you get there in the first game. So it's not like he left, left behind an identical set of armor, and then went back.

Well, first of all i wouldn't say they were best buddies. Gwyn and Seath were, but i don't get the impression that Nito and Izalith and Gwyn were particularly close.

The Pygmy was furtive and easily forgotten, he didn't take part on the war, he probably didn't want to take part on the war, so that's that. I don't think they were antagonistic to him or him to them, they probably didn't even know he existed, until the first age of dark was coming.

And yes, the dark soul is one of the 4 big souls and part of the natural order, at least, according to Kaathe.

because it says Smough was the last remaining knight guarding Anor Londo

the age of ancients was without light AND dark. once one was created, so too was the other. Light is life and dark is death, when the flames fade the distinction between the two are obscured, causing undeath

"Golden (piece name) associated with Dragonslayer Ornstein, from the age of gods, and imbued with the strength of lightning.

In the dragonless age, this knight, who long guarded the ruined cathedral, left the land in search of their nameless king."

"Twisted great Hammer associated with Smough, the last knight to remain at his post, guarding the ruined cathedral.

Restore HP while attacking, a carryover from Smough's past as an executioner.

Skill: Perseverance
Anchor weapon in earth to temporarily boost poise. Damage reduced while activated."

>chaos
Izalith's souls represented life. The demons, chaos, were created when the witches tried to replicate the first flame using their lord soul. Hence why demons are described as a distortion of life or something.

Why are the lord souls so asymmetrical?

The Light and Dark souls are opposites, presumably, but the Life and Death souls are grouped with the Light soul.

Does that mean an age of dark won't have life and death? Seems like it with the undead curse and all that.

But that just makes the dark age seem like it's just going to be the age of ancients without dragons.

QUESTIONS WITHOUT ANSWERS
Why was the chosen undead the only person who had the power to level themselves up?

Dark Souls 1 also explicitly states that Smough is NOT a knight. Or at least, not a Knight.

Given the whole thing about dead people coming back to life in this game, and given that it seems like Aldritch ate Gwyndolin relatively recently, is it possible that Ornstein and Smough were revived as Unkindled, and Ornstein decided not to stick around this time?

Alternatively, with time being convoluted being such a core part of the setting since Dark Souls 1, maybe they come from a world where no Chosen Undead ever managed to defeat them.

I don't think the lord souls have any actual meaning like that, they're just said to be things like that because of their respective owners.

And i think an age of dark does have death, it's just during the transitioning between fire and dark or dark and fire that the dark sign appears and the undead start appearing, also note that the sun literally turns into a dark sign when things start changing.

Because the Fire Keeper didn't let anyone else do it.

Because it would've been too inconvenient in dark souls 1 if you had to go back to firelink every time you wanted to level up.

And i'm pretty sure that originally Priscilla was going to level you up, but it was cut, probably because of what i said above.

For that matter, i wish they had stuck to that system, instead of having a level up waifu in every game and forcing me to go back to the hub whenever i need or want to level.

>Dark Souls 1 also explicitly states that Smough is NOT a knight. Or at least, not a Knight.

Actually, i'm pretty sure it said that he wasn't able to join the 4 knights of Gwyn, i don't think anything says that he wasn't "a" knight.

>Why were Gwyn, Nito, and Izalith all best buddies with each other but the Pygmy wasn't part of the fun club?

They most likely didn't know the Pygmy existed; he was the 'furtive' pygmy after all.
He wasn't interested in war or conquest or building an empire: he just stayed below the earth and patiently expanded the dark soul in the cool, comforting darkness.

>Was Gwyn and friends antagonistic toward the pygmy, or was the pygmy antagonistic towards them?

Again: they didn't know he existed.
The only relationship the Gods had with the pygmy was with his children: Humans. The Pygmy quietly sat back and kept making more and more humans and more and more humanity that it reached a point where the Gods couldn't help but notice all the humans knocking about.
The Humans figured the gods were "neat" and the Gods didn't mind the worship, so they started building a society together in peace.

>Isn't the Dark Soul just one of the four lord souls, a part of the natural order like the other three?
It is, it is- but at the same time it's something more and something completely different to the lord souls.
Humanity is persistent; it never goes out and it's very sensitive/responsive to emotion.

The Abyss is essentially just "angry vengeful humanity"- it was created when Manus (the pygmy) was tortured in order to produce more humanity- It's a poisoned, angry, sad and hateful sort of humanity.

Smough also could have been knighted as a last resort when Ornstein left

Gwyn and the Lords weren't gods.

That's what I meant by capital Knight.

Though it constantly refers to him as an Executioner, never a knight. And DS3's Smough's Great Hammer mentions "his PAST as an executioner," emphasis mine.

That's what I'm thinking, but I'm also thinking that it didn't happen prior to Dark Souls 1, for one reason (convoluted timelines) or another (resurrection).

Stop pushing this "Yhorm's face collapsing on itself" theory. He's just wearing a chainmail coif! Camera angles and and lighting tricks just make it look like a hole during the starting cutscene.

>Stop pushing this "Yhorm's face collapsing on itself" theory. He's just wearing a chainmail coif! Camera angles and and lighting tricks just make it look like a hole during the starting cutscene.

Miyazaki/Fromsoft specifically went out of their way to make his face look like the way it is.

You're free to ignore his character design, but if you think it's just a "coincidence" you're being genuinely silly.

Could be simple misdirection. Make us think he's connected to the DS2 giants so we don't expect him to actually be connected to this game's onion knight.

I really dislike fast travel in the newer games. Dark Souls 1's world was so nice and interconnected and a lot of that is lost when fast travel is given from the very beginning.

Soul of Cinder has got to be my favorite boss fight in the game. That nostalgia.

Not him, but i do think that Yhorm is a DS2 giant, i mean, even the developer message in his boss room compares him to a "greatwood", DS2 giants turn into trees. Also Stormruler does nothing to the other "giants" in the game.

Do you smoke the crack? Best boss in a souls game is still Ludwig in my opinion. That fucking soundtrack is perfect.

The only bossfight I really liked in Dark Souls 3 was Dancer, and I hate how much they fucked up Yhorm.

He kicks the shit out of me.
>Dat tracking spear
>Dat aggression
>All those delayed swings in his straight sword moveset
>Combos and grabs on his second phase
I've probably died a couple dozen times to him now, all told. I like him more than Nameless "stay the fuck still you fucking dragon" King.

>Time for friendship!
>Jolly cooperation ahead!

>Summoning white/gold phantoms

No. You take your fucking lumps. Fighting bosses with help always feels so hollow to me.

i always summon npc's when there's a boss that outnumbers the player

deacons and pontiff because i can't be assed to deal with that shit

I can respect a solo run, but the guy (Cinder, not King, fuck Nameless) is actually fun rather than annoying when he can throw his weight at a couple people rather than just you.

>Do you smoke the crack?

Oh, also Dragonslayer armor and crystal sage

legion i do solo though because the other two fight each other