Song of Swords: You gon' get Zelled

Last time on Song of Swords:

Ballad Lore (Zells!)
Chevauchee gets some feedback, /sos/ style (we ripped it to pieces)
Jimmy launches off into another pointless side project. Get the popcorn lads.

Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a .rar archive with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
mediafire.com/download/12xqm1p2q69m392/Song_of_Swords.rar

Here's a walkthrough on creating a character
paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Here's a walkthrough on weapon schools for SoS 1.9.9 with examples
paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

Here's Ballad of the Laser Whales' latest version: mediafire.com/download/xx124xua1bi8sfu/CoTV Ballad of the Laser Whales Alpha 1.1.pdf

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

The Legend will return, harder and stronger.

>draw an elf
>call it an alien catgirl

Why is this allowed?

the real crime is the severely insufficient level of brown.

What's this new side project?

How is anyone still hype for SoS after all this time?

I think it's a wargame.
As for the SoS hype, for me it's mostly the promise of new stuff. Things have slowed down, but every once in a while they do release something new, and that's cool.

Sodomy.

Yes, that's the answer to both questions.

seems legit

has anybody ever attempted to make a riddle of steel clone focused on asia

In the broadest sense, yes.

There was a Burning Wheel supplement/spin-off called "Blossoms are Falling". Slightly unusual in that the focus was Heian-era Japan (794-1185) which is before most of the elements we associate with Samurai really developed. No katanas for starters, and Bushido is in it's infancy.

Wouldn't really call that a Riddle clone so much as "an RPG about Japan", though. Same with Sengoku RPG, though it's perhaps as close as anything's come.

It's not so much a clone, but BW is a member of the RoS family who ran away from home and emigrated to Australia. I'm pretty sure Luke Crane has said as much, though buggered if I can find it. There have been a few hacks though that make combat more RoS-like.

Can't you just play your favorite Riddle of Steel clone with Japan as your setting?

>song of swords
>post a pic of guns

These days the SoS threads are also Ballad threads. We welcome all sorts here.

Share stories from SoS. I'm on a Nostalgia trip.

>not carrying pistols everywhere you go

I did a bit on the pdf yesterday. Added schools to the proficiency page.
I may reorganize the stuff at some point. When/if I look into the wrapforms package that is.
Feedback is of course welcome.

At this point, tour biggest goal is formatting to remove white space. You can probably squeeze it down to a couple pages, making it far more printable and easy to use.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that on and off again. I thought getting every step a single page would be neat. I think it looks very crowded now, but it's down to 5 pages. Some points are not really optimal. Like the 2 lines from proficiencies/schools that break off to the next page, but whatever.
I'm not a TeX wizard, but I try to improve from time to time.

Well see for yourself, I guess.

It's pretty good. There are some spelling/grammar issues, but it's not a big deal.

Well english is not my first language and I did not yet proof read it. Thanks though, I'll keep an eye out for that now.

What was the name of that Power-Grappling Goblin that Suplexed his way through a Tournament back in the day?

Indeed you could, though it's kind of like how you can play Dark Souls with a katana but still hope Ni-Oh turns out okay.

Well some user did tell us about a campaign of SoS set in feudal japan a few weeks back. Sounded fun, so I guess SoS at least works fine for it.

Mods are asleep, post weird guns!

Not technically a gun, but eh.

boom.

The Chironite version will shoot tiny whales carved out of moonstone.

I'm not sure what would be different in an Asian RoS clone.

Not too much; the main benefit I could think of would be getting some decent information on those cultures and how to roleplay in them (as I recall the GM of the one guy's Japan campaign was cribbing a bit too much from Rokugan), and some equipment that's more exacting rather than having to be eyeballed from a European perspective.

Ah geez. Wigo. Good times.

>The first tournament was over 2 years ago

lol

Rather than respond to the questions asked on him in the thread, chevauchee user ran away like a little bitch and quietly put out a "patch" to his wargame. It appears he doesn't know the difference between wargames and video games. You do not charge money for a product so thoroughly broken, so untested and unedited that newcomers can identify seven distinct problems with it in their very first time reading and playing, one of which is utterly game-breaking. If it were free on Veeky Forums it'd merely be an early WIP homebrew game. But chevauchee user saw it fit to attempt to scam people out of $12 of their money with that garbage. He ought to be ashamed to have his name attached to that product in its previous and current states.

I blame myself. I didn't actually look at the game to criticize it when he put it here the first time. He basically got glowing praise and assumed that that meant it was good to go.

Don't get upset lads, everyone makes mistakes sometimes. We don't all have the wisdom of Veeky Forums to guide us.

So what are you up to Jimmy? Tell us about this wargame thing, maybe it'll distract us from the horrors of Chevauchee.

He literally did. He first tested his game in the historical wargames thread. The opening pages of his book are dedicated to /hwg/ and Veeky Forums. The part right before he doesn't assume the gender of the players.

Ahh, those were grand old times. Remember the old Lightsaber Urumis?

So, it's called Ballad of the Laser Whales: Crossfire. That's the working name for now. Basically it's going to be a miniatures game about marines from the various factions fighting in the close quarters inside voidships, though it could probably also work for representing combat inside buildings or dense urban environments, who knows.

It's pretty simple, I already have the core mechanics down, and I'm writing up some sample units for the different factions. It might actually be too simple, but I don't think there's anything really wrong with that.

Relevant stuff from the lore perspective will be the revealing of another Rahoo faction, the Free Republic of Zaabi, essentially a Haiti-esque Republic of freed slaves that is at odds with the Desotian Republic and the expansionist Hiramoto alike.

Oh. Rough.

>moving schedule back 7 days
>he meant Venus days (243 Earth days each)

So I never played Riddle of Steel before finding /SoS/, but from what I understand their version of Arc could be spent to get extra dice in combat, right?

I was thinking about a Gladiator style campaign/tournament where performing Charisma checks would grant you bonus dice, would SAs work for this?

Potentially, you might want to check the RoS system to see if it's what you're looking for.

What do you think the weight/price of a Lamellar Coif would be?

1.5, and 1 sp, I'd guess.

And would the giant Assyrian beard be 1/0/1 of a cloth mask or the 1/1/1 of a scarf?

I'd actually say it gets a new Statline. 1/1/0

So wait, the Zabs are freed blacks, and the other Rahoos are white. Does this not strike you as potentially PR-damaging?

It's a bunch of freed slaves against a bunch of racist coke addicts. I'd play it.

I don't see how that'd be. There's nothing racist about depicting American countries made up of freed slaves. They existed.

Now, if we were to make them into slavering orc-like subhuman KANGZ with a thirst for watermelon and white wimminz, that would be racist. Obviously that was not the intention, we just wanted another faction with a different aesthetic.

Wait, how much does the school from that goblin cost?
It's soldier, so it has a base cost of 1 and 1 for every proficency.
so 1+4x1 and then again 4x1 since he is not human. That'd be 9 Points right?
And getting that school to level 9 would cost 15 points. So he has 24 proficency points which would cost 9 PCP, right?

This was ye olde days, school and proficiency costs were very different.