Metal and Veeky Forums

Why is metal always so closely associated with fantasy and roleplaying games?

Is just because they both happened to be part of the counter culture in the late 70's and 80's, or is there another reason for it?

Pic fairly related, I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nwD9CSoaPT4
youtube.com/watch?v=3vbKnPFFkA8
sunn.bandcamp.com/track/hunting-gathering-cydonia
youtube.com/watch?v=BIUgwZsDBQc
youtube.com/watch?v=edNUp4GkukI
youtube.com/watch?v=gYwB4aFf0D8
youtube.com/watch?v=RB0umgm9I20
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Quite often the themes of the songs are related to rpgs or similar. The lone hero with a sword hacking away at monsters, or the lone monster with a sword hacking away at heros is somwthing rap and pop rarely feature..

wellp i know what my next BBEG is gonna be
>you hear wailing guitars as you charge the lich and his devil ally

Because metalheads are __NERDS

Because young white guys like metal and fantasy stuff.

I've also always associated muscle cars (especially 80s Firebirds and Camaros + Fox body mustangs) with metal and some Veeky Forums stuff, presumably for the same reason, young white guys like them.

Veeky Forums are typically only into the most mainstream and inoffensive metal, usually european power metal and some heavy metal / thrash essentials. They might know a few extreme metal bands but that's about it.

Pretty much this. People who like fucking Sabaton and recommenced them in every music thread, regardless of how utterly inappropriate.

I'm pretty sure some songs are actually based on role-playing campaigns.

youtube.com/watch?v=nwD9CSoaPT4

>Sabaton

it's a good band but not the best.

my folder

Imagine you're playing a role-playing game. Like a fighter, a rogue, a priest, perhaps a wizard - see the little wizard? Yes? That could be you IF YOU WEREN'T A FUCKING BARBARIAN AND THUS BETTER ALREADY! Imagine taking up your fuckoff huge war ax and swinging it overhead to tear down like a wooden pillar or hordes of orcs or a GODDAMN DRAGON! Imagine meeting evil face to face with nothing but raw manliness to SEE YOU THE FUCK THROUGH it and fuck yeah you got like a whole damn party and you and your squad have this shit on lockdown while EVERYTHING THAT YOUR CHARACTERS DO is accompanied by the whine of electric guitars and some thundering roar of a singing voice. That's why you rolled Barbarian, and that's why it has to be Metal.

Don't believe me? Check out the bar fight scene from "Korgoth of Barbaria" (should be on Youtube).

Hammerfall – Warriors of Faith
Literally about paladin and cleric party

They fight for gold and glory
Proclaim the dead man' land
Into the dungeons they must go
To find the answers, left untold

A lot of heavy metal is very thematically appropriate: youtube.com/watch?v=3vbKnPFFkA8

Care to recommend some kvlt metal?

bal sagoth
caladan brood
gallowbraid
sulfur aeon
menhir
of course blind guardian
summoning
entrails
woods of desolation

all great for pen and and paper

It is quite simple, "metal heads" are generally big time nerds

I have quite a few hispanic friends who come from poor backgrounds who love metal. Usually 80s metal.

there are a lot of Hispanics who are really into thrash metal for whatever reason.

Metal is fantasy, satan, sex, drugs, fighting, power, ferocity. All things that we play Pen and Paper games to experience... since most nerds don't do that shit in real life.

sunn.bandcamp.com/track/hunting-gathering-cydonia

Myrkur
youtube.com/watch?v=BIUgwZsDBQc

Skeletonwitch

Zimmer's Hole

Waco Jesus
youtube.com/watch?v=gYwB4aFf0D8

Fuck yeah Skeletonwitch
Saw them live a few years back, alongside amon amarth and sabaton, so fucking good

Nice folder user. However, why is Enya in there?

No Korpiklaani?

youtube.com/watch?v=RB0umgm9I20

Some songs are right out of RPG sessions.
Lot of Dio stuff is great game fodder. Hell, we have a band campaign that was started to memorialize his passing that is still going, though I have more events occurring outside of his songs lately, need to bring it back around again.

Christ dude, I hope you're taking the piss. That's barely any better

>no Strapping Young Lad