Do you play any MUDs?

Do you play any MUDs?

I used to play Lusternia, but they want all your money.

I played a few in my time. I just don't have the focus for MMO grinding though.

I used to play MUME (Multi-Users in Middle Earth) and Isengard when I was younger. Then stuff like WoW and EVE came along, and the charm departed, never to return.

I used to play RetroMUD, but I think I chose a death world as my Homeworld, because my adventures tended to go:
>Kill a thing, earn No XP
>Kill a thing, earn No XP
>Encounter a thing, Instant Death after 1 hit.
And this was in the era before wiki, so I had no idea what I was supposed to do as a werewolf ranger.

These days, I play Kingdom of Loathing as a nice alternative to MUDs. I find myself enjoying a silly massively singleplayer browser game with good replay value over giant text games with old hands blasting through on autopilot.

I've played a Forgotten Realms MUD off and on again that's old enough to have gotten a C&D from TSR. It's still up and I still know people who intermittently play, but it's all high level faction / alignment ganking and Grindy McGrinderton's Grindhouse Double Feature: Grindtown and House of Grinding.

Role play Enforced ones are universally role play encouraged or optional.

Armageddon doesn't fuck around.

Lusternia was pretty good about it but only because it was really small. Achaea, the big one by the same company, was extremely spotty as far as RP went.

I used to play MadROM, first over a telnet client, then over GMud.

Truly, those were the days. I wonder if my account is still there?

The playerbase of Arm and a few simliar is completely toxic, I dislike the enviroment of them.

I too love KOL, but I've become an apathetic lizardman in it. I try to check in every once in a while still.

Used to? Still do.

Well, until about nine months ago or so, when my laptop broke and my poor ass couldn't afford to replace it, so all my internetting became phone-based. Have yet to find a client for an Android phone that wasn't chewing-aluminum painful to use, and being not-really-willingly 'upgraded' to a hand-me-down Windows phone, I haven't found a client that'll even -run- a MUD.

Used to play Shadows of Isildur compulsively back in the day. It made me a good RPer. It also made me the broken arcanine I am today.

I used to play Dragon Hall, which I've seen mentioned on Veeky Forums a couple times.

It was pretty fun. It was a "free form" game that had it's own combat system. And all interaction was either player based, or was described by a moderator.

Those were some good times.

Well, actually, upon reading that synopsis, that's not a very accurate description.

Dragon's Hall was a bunch of chat rooms linked by a map of a county. You role played a villager or noble of one of these towns, and kept up with the continuity of what had been happening recently.

There were strict rules on how to make a character, which prevented people from playing overpowered warriors or perfect snowflake Mary Sues. And the combat system was a really simple affair of "write a description of what you do, then press roll to see if you succeed."

Though, it was mostly slice of life stuff, and a lot of girls played, so sometimes you'd role play for weeks with a girl before asking her to send you a picture of her fat neet tits.

Up until a few months ago, I played HellMoo, then lost interest after the Pwipe.

I played Hellmoo from 2005 up until the game went opt-in PvP. Was an amazing experience and I really enjoyed it. It's the only MUD I've played.

I played a little bit of one. I had a hard time finding the point, seeing as I was limited to one rather small world and there didn't seem to be much to do outside grinding enemies for XP. Hell, I couldn't even sell the random equipment I found lying around - which was probably why the other players just dropped it on the ground everywhere.

I think it was RetroMUD as well, and the wiki didn't help at all.

I used to run Shadows of the Empire MUD.

You all suck and I hope you burn.

(but seriously no, I don't MUD any more)

I did too.