Have you ever been falsely accused of cheating?

Have you ever been falsely accused of cheating?

Has your experience with a game or system ever made you look like a "tryhard"?

Has someone's misinterpretation of the rules led to an awkward moment at the table?

Please share any stories you have!

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/DungeonsDonald
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

One time I was accused of cheating on my physics final in college. Not that I was copying other people's work, that I was colluding with other students around me to allow them to copy my work. I didn't even know or talk to these people but apparently they were copying my answers without my knowledge. I demanded a hearing and was exonerated after one of the cheaters came in and confessed his guilt.

While that sucks, it's good that one of them came forward.

My friends had a big falling out in college because friend A let friend B copy his answers, but when it came to the final friend B wouldn't let friend A copy because of the risk involved.

Personally, I think they're both pretty retarded, now.

Come to think of it, they were shitters in MtG, as well. They were really in to that whole stacked shuffling method.

Back when I played 3.5e there was a guy who called anyone who made sensible decisions about characters tryhards and munchkins.

If you build a character that's capable of surviving a single encounter at his level, you're a munchkin. He was pure 3d6-in-order, and was more about ideological purity than fun or results.

Basically Bernie Sadners.

>Have you ever been falsely accused of cheating?

I get accused of cheating at online chess relatively regularly.

I really don't get it, because most of the people who spew it have considerably lower ratings than I do. I could sort of get it if like a 2300 player losing to me thought I consulted a computer, but when it's a 1450 patzer surprised that I crushed them, it's just weird.

2 and 3 are just called "Playing M:tG" so yeah.

Most awkward though was when I, as the judge, got a ruling wrong in an FNM. I was confident in my understanding of the rules, he accepting my call, everything was fine. Then I thought about looking it up when I got home and realized my mistake. Apologized the next week and tossed him som packs to make up for the prize he lost.

no
but I have been falsely accused of being a racist by some dumb high schoolers and their fat mom.

ive accidentally cheated by not reading something correctly

One of my opponents at Heroclix World Championship last year accused me of using loaded dice after a string of lucky, but not spectacular, rolls. He took them rolled them a couple times to test them and got some crappy results. He begrudgingly admitted it must have just be luck. My next roll was a critical hit.

It baffles me constantly how ignorant of dice Heroclix players are as a rule. Not necessarily speaking to you, but every one of your opponent's actions is just completely moronic and this is a very very common theme I've seen among the playerbase of a game where you're constantly rolling 2d6.

No, every time I've been accused of cheating I was, though most times I'm able to convince them I'm not cheating.

If you're not cheating you just don't care enough.

>Have you ever been falsely accused of cheating?

only in video games back when I gave a shit about multiplayer

Careful user. Veeky Forums is bernie central on Veeky Forums

I mean, I don't really support any American politician over another, but that was a really lame shot.

Feel bad user.

>Playing in a new campaign, with a GM I'd never met before
>Roll up a well balanced rogue that focuses on a diverse set of skills. Even took feats that allow me to get additional skillpoints.
>Every time a non-combative challenge comes up in-game, I have some sort of skill to help out.
>eventually he gets mad tries to call me out at the game table, "How do you have all of these skills?! You're not some fuckin' MacGyver!"
>Except... I am. My character is specifically made to have a huge variety of skills. You even OKed my character.
>He has me explain where each of my skills from, then calls my "a minmaxer" and a try hard
>Tells me I have to make a different character before the next session, and that it has to be combat focused, this time.

What the fuck is his problem?

He was used to people rollplaying grognark the barbarian instead of creating something dynamic.

You're both sinners for playing dnd though. Shameful sinners

He doesn't like try-hards who just roll a die instead of thinking up a solution to a problem.

Or he's just mad that you're bypassing all his super special traps.

I'm a DM and my "That Guy" accuses me of cheating anytime a monster comes close to killing his tanky paladin.

What vexes me the most is that this guy also gets miraculous strings of crits whenever he's sitting on the part of the table that's furthest away from me.

go on

Nah. D&D's pretty fun.

That's not cheating, that's just misinterpreting the rules. I've fucked up a whole lot of games on the first try, but the second goes better and the third better still until it's all gotten down and the questions about rules stop coming up. It's just establishing a literacy with the game.

Cheating seems more intentional than accidental. Intent is a large part of it. It's hard to misunderstand someone deliberately moving their pieces while your back is turned as anything but intentional, or deliberately pretending to concede and when your opponent starts piling their cards in call the judge and get them a game loss for conceding.

In my group I usually have my players make their characters prior and just go by the honor system for rolling stats.
Until one guy started routinely bringing in characters with 18 ability scores all the way down. So they had to start doing them in front of me until that guy eventually left/was softly kicked out of the group.

I also had a situation once where a player horribly misunderstood cost modifiers on magic weapons. Long story short, he thought that a sword was worth 4000gp when it was actually closer to 98,000. Needless to say he didn't get to keep it.

>They were really in to that whole stacked shuffling method.

Except there is literally nothing wrong with that.....

I'd been reading the 3.X rule books chronologically as they came out since 1998, so when I finally got a chance to play in 2010 my characters were all unbelievably capable at doing really awesome things.
Most people complained my characters were bullshit or OP, but I always played the kind of bro tier support character who would put it all on the line for my friends and the dice gods never gave me below a 15 when I tried something daring and foolhardy that should have ended with my character dead.
A friend who didn't play D&D commented that she'd heard a lot of people complain about my characters being OP but she'd never heard anything about me being a dick about it like she had about the power gamers in the community.
I have fun doing crazy adventurous things, and my character boasted of his accomplishments but also acknowledged his allies contributions to said accomplishments. I never understood why everyone was trying to complete with me, I had more than a decade of system mastery over them, they were setting themselves up for disappointment playing a game against me I wasn't even interested in winning.

Why do people have to whinge about my character being stronger than theirs when we are on the same team?

> tg has bad taste

This is surprising?

>Why do people have to whinge about my character being stronger than theirs when we are on the same team?

Because you are pulling overpowered caster bullshit and making them feel irrelevant to the game. Bullying douchebags like you are what ruined gaming, along with the douchebags who made 3.5. I hope they burn in hell. D&D 3.5 is such a garbage system, if I ever own a game store it will be an instant lifetime ban if you bring a 3.5 book into the store. I don't care if I lose business, the neckbearded cunts who play it deserve to be alone and I deserve better business than them. I wouldn't carry Crapfinder books, either.

Godfuckdamn user, you're actually making me sad I'm not at home. Because I don't have my bait pics collection on the laptop.
Stop being a shitstirer. Don't you have anything more interesting to do with your day?

Son you didn't even put actual bait on the hook, you just wrapped a gummy worm around the tip

>>I always played the kind of bro tier support character who would put his life on the line for his friends
>bullying douchebags like you are what ruined gaming

What?

nah, it was simple as me mumbling under my breath allot, some dumb kids thought i said nigger, and the mother (who worked at the store ) got upset.
the kids look like they wanted to cause shit, i did contact management, and nothing came from it, so yeah.
little shits where smiling while they were talking about it too, just a failure of parenting, you know.

I've been falsely accused of cheating at video games before, but never on tabletop games. Because they never catch me

Any time I won anything back in school all the other kids would thrash around screaming that I cheated until the teacher named someone else a winner to preserve the peace. Since I'm a colossal fagtron I still throw games subtly thirty years later because I don't want to deal with it.

So there's this pretty common children's book from the 80's if I remember right called Mathemagic or something like that.

Basically it teaches kids to do magic tricks via using pile shuffling to stack their deck. It's a piss easy method of cheating, and anytime my opponent pile shuffles i either shuffle his deck properly myself or call a judge for it, whatever the rules of the game I'm playing allow.

Plus even if they aren't intentionally cheating, it's a really shitty way to actually randomize the deck. Life's too short to deal with people half-assing fair play in the very best case.

>implying Bernie is 3d6 ironman
>implying he isn't "take liberal measures as a group to ensure everyone can have fun"

>Hilary quietly reminds the DM he owes her money before each major roll.

What, 18 in every stat? What the fuck was he thinking? He can't have seriously believed you would've accepted that.

>Trump shits on the table and yells at the minority players for cheating.

>Has your experience with a game or system ever made you look like a "tryhard"?

Yeah, for the longest time my groups poked fun at my characters' obsession with 10 foot poles and poking things with them. Also just general paranoia, way too much thought into equipment selection, and treating treasure with extreme care. Eventually I realized we weren't playing that kind of game (where you need to be super paranoid about potential traps in every door of a dungeon), so I chilled out about it. I still kind of want to play that kind of hardcore paranoid type of game sometime.

Also, I used to be that guy in 3.PF. I would roll in with the most busted wizard or summoner I could rip off the internet, I studied game-tactics and tricks for months before ever playing, and I was pretty shameless about it for years. Gradually I calmed down and realized that's not the most fun way for me to play. I started to turn down the busted-ness a little when we moved to PF, and after moving to 5e I don't really try to make PCs overpowered anymore. I can no longer stand that 'optimization' stuff, and I now see it as a time-wasting pissing contest.

>Trump calls out some of the players who are cheaters.
>Happen to be ethnic minorities.
>Apparently because of this all people who are ethnic minorities are being shat on.

Yeah, I come from an "old school rpg" background, so whenever I play newer things with younger groups, I look kind of silly at times.

>You know what people love about me?
>My min-maxing
>I'm a good min-maxer.
>I'm the best min-maxer.
>No one can minimize and maximize like me.
>ESPECIALLY... The maximizing part...

>My AC is yuuge, it's made up of parts of all my enemies AC scores.

>I'm gonna be a paladin
>It's gonna be huge
>I'm going to be a wall
>and I'm gonna get all the kobolds to pay for my armor.

>I game with women all the time
>They're great women
>TREMENDOUS women
>I tell ya, I love tremendous women

>rolls a 1 on his gold-colored metal d20
>points at the die
>YOU'RE FIRED
>throws it into a furnace he keeps next to the table
>spends the next 30 minutes complaining about the game being rigged
>later talks about how only losers can't handle bad rolls, but he doesn't roll bad, it just doesn't happen to him

Never falsely accused because the real cheaters are usually sitting next to me.

No, but I think my buddy and main 40k opponent might be cheating.

>he always wins, every time
>I will often be kicking his ass turn 1-2, but he always comes back
>Ive seen him play other people - he rules lawyers hard. doesnt do that shit with me though

Im pretty laid back. I dont scrutinize him on anything, and take his word on whatever.
What has started making me wonder though is this- we have a group that meets once a month for Zombicide, Chaos in the Old World, Pandemic..

This dude cheats his ass off in the board games. People are constantly calling him on it and he tries to justify it every time. Admitting it, but playing it off since we're all friends and no one cares enough to get pissed over a game.

Should I stop playing 40k with him and just try for a pickup game? Im not really good with the flgs crowd and I only know a few people by face since Im not a regular. But I want to win sometimes and really just see if I can win at 40k. I play for fun but I def dont like the idea of getting taken advsntage of.

Have you tried, oh, I dunno, Paranoia? If not, please explain why you feel the need to commit treason, citizen.

I think you guys might enjoy this
mobile.twitter.com/DungeonsDonald

what part of bernie sanders stance do you disagree with?

he is basically the opposite of 'that guy'

>Plays chess.

Faget.

By stacked shuffling, I assume he means mana-shuffling, and there absolutely is something wrong with that.
If they do it before randomizing their deck properly with riffle shuffles then it did nothing and they wasted their time. If they didn't shuffle enough afterwards, they are both cheating and setting themselves up for major butthurt when the other player mysteriously chooses to pile-shuffle their deck with three piles.