Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Familiars and animal companions thread.

Do you have a favourite /pfg/?

Old thread: Unified /pfg/ link repository:
pastebin.com/5F8RNubX

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/XQwAf2qR
theworldissquare.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/
dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2773770/It-wrecked-life-Man-100-orgasms-day-breaks-describes-daily-hell-rare-medical-condition.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

BIG
BLACK
Birds

Definitely walrus. Simply for the time the GM will spend tacitly trying to talk you into taking something more appropriate for the setting.

I really like the thrush and raven, but cat familiars that are actually smarter than their sorcerer masters are my favorite.

I didn't think Sorcerers could get familiars. Aren't cat familiars only INT 2?

>didn't know about the very first feature of the default sorcerer bloodline
>doesn't know about familiar Int scaling, the very first thing on their chart

No one ever played it around me, and I had no interest in sorcerers.

Giant Vulture. Perfect for my Sylvan Sorc!

Pay no attention to the scent of grave dust. I ended up going Sylvan instead of Crossblood Fey/Undead because rusty dagger shanktown.

Gibbering Mouthers need good setup if you'd want them to be scary and not silly as fuck as they tend to be.

Just imagine the group walking into some filthy dungeon with barely any light, and everything has been mundane so far but sickly and shaking, nervous and distracted even when gutted with a sword. Then they wander into what looks like a bathroom, absolutely COVERED in black mold and other sort of dangerous and unclean growths. Party notices and looks inside of a huge tub, they don't have much strong light, but it's enough to reveal it's just full of meat. Rotten, slightly bubbly, glossy sickly meat, and it's covered in eyes and mouths. Dozens of them.

And the mouths talk. Quietly. Maybe one keeps repeating the word 'Help' over and over. Another hums nervously. Two more keep mumbling something about nervously denying responsibility for some unexplained crime. Three more keep making little cooing noises of contentment, like they know something nobody else does. One more keeps calmly demanding 'Come over here'. All while eyes stare, all sorts of eyes, kids eyes, old eyes, wide eyes, bloodshot eyes, crying eyes, filthy yellow-crusted eyes, some of them staring, others rolling, most just flicking around in a way that implies panic, as if seeing something that's moving around the room out of sight.

Then it begins to slough out of the tub, slowly. Like rotten bubblegum or rancid cheese, pouring down the sides. Just stretching and breaking apart as it heaves out fat thick waves of flesh, and most of the mouths start breathing very heavily, choking on air and spit, as those nervous, or excited, or terrified.

The Butterfly, from Dragon #323, page 98! (I have it laminated)

You can't actually just pick a butterfly! Instead, you have to start with a caterpillar (with mouse statistics; in Pathfinder, that means rat ones) that grants +3 to Disguise. You can order it to pupate at any time after you reach 5th+, which puts it completely out of commission for two weeks (no benefits to you whatsoever during this time). After two weeks, it emerges as a butterfly or moth (with thrush statistics; in Pathfinder, that means raven ones) that grants +3 to Spellcraft!

Arcane bloodline Sorcerer gets one by default, and the Tattooed Sorcerer archetype gives a tattoo familiar. The sorcerer can trade their first level bloodline power and delay bloodline spells by one level to get a familiar with a special bloodline effect. A regular familiar's minimum Int is 6. If you take the sage familiar archetype this turns into 5+master's level. I like to give my sorcerers around 14 Int because 4 SP/level is bare minimum for me. The sorcerer I want to run right now has unlearned as his flaw, meaning not only will his cat be smarter than him, but that cat will be /more educated/ as well.

If you Polymorph Any Object your animal sage familiar into a humanoid race, would it be permanent?

Are there any relatively inexpensive (less than 2k) items that are generally well worth obtaining? This is in setting were food isn't really going to be tracked, nor carrying equipment unless it's ridiculous.

I just love Sleeves of many garments. Glamer your clothes for just 200gp!

All draconic types in my world have access to a human alternate form, their hair, eye and pube color all match their dragon type
This isn't too magical realm, is it?

I got the half-breed cloak of human guise since Imma half-breed. Does better!

>This isn't too magical realm, is it?

If you are asking, so it is.

..Spellcraft familiar? That sounds.. broken.

It's a meme, but 10 Foot poles are Fantastic. You'd be surprised at what they can do.
What's this comforting the lonely thing that seems to be overly popular?

Don't most dragons already do that?

Not really. Though I wonder what kind of players you have that they need to know if the carpet matches the drapes.

Ah, shit, I misheard you, now I'm stuck with this Cloak of Human Guys, there's blood everywhere, the authorities are after me, it's not good.

Most Metallics.

NONE of the Chromatics get it, nor do any Primal or Imperial Dragons.

Hah!

Nah, not the chromatics or even most of the metallics unless they specifically spell prep for it

It's a new vigilante talent. If they engage in an hour of pleasurable physical contact with someone, they get a pool equal to the higher CHA modifier of the two which they can use for Will saves or CHA skill checks.

A Vigilante talent from the newly released Inner Sea Intrigue.

People find it funny because:
A. It's basically ripped straight from the book of Erotic Fantasy
B. It's probably the best Social Talent available to Vigilantes.

Oh my god. They added Skinship Mode.

How does that work for Chromatics?

Circus/Freak Show; good cover for a spy network/secret wandering education facility or not?

On the one hand, its really obvious when they come to town, on the other hand who the fuck would suspect Bonzo the Clown of secretly smuggling secret files across borders and ruthless satire of morally deviant members of the aristocracy?

Plus, there's some /d/-style fun when combined with the Magical Girl archetype (who always has a familiar they can use) and, when you remember that according to the rules, an unconscious target is always considered willing.

Headpats ahoy!

I've always wanted to play a Cowboy Wizard with Horned Lizard familiar

Don't these things just look so rad?

PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT: Pet your paladin today

I'm trying to get a familiar that can auto pass umd checks on a nat roll of a 1. My main goal is something that can use a scroll of breath of life in case I die in combat which is like a DC 30 check even for the faerie dragon.

Evolved familiar sounds like a good plan intially but unfortunately, the character I plan on playing is also going to be dumping CHA.

Do I have any other options for boosting my umd score aside from a circlet of persuasion and maybe talking my gm into allowing masterwork tools for +2 skill?

It's fucking good.

haha

Dunno, let's ask Path of War: Expanded

Cool as

You know, lewd handholding could lead to lewdsexings

Nope, although you could just leave it at "hair- and eye-color" with no problem of sounding fetishy too. It's a pretty simple and useful bit of lore for shapeshifting and opens up opportunities for storytellers to have a quick archetype to fall back on. "There once was a knight, who so dearly loved the silver-haired maiden with eyes like the moon..."

They have their weak spots.

Oh wow, that looks a lot better than the non-colored version.

I imagine reds would be really aggressive and pushy in getting what they want for example, or did you mean something else?

That last one wasn't necessary, since I think it's a given that the carpet would match the drapes

>pastebin.com/XQwAf2qR

Gonna ask again for advice on my build for The Iron Age, a melee wizard. For reference we are using Background Skill, Hero Points (which I forwent to get an Antihero feat), and The Elephant In The Room feat fix. Link for reference:
>theworldissquare.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/

How can I eek out a bit more? My save bench marks a bit low. Average DC I am gonna be looking at from a caster my level is gonna be around 18-19. +13 only gets me out of that 70% of the time.

Sweet, thanks heaps and falling back on tropes is the tried and true method and effective to boot

Nah, you'll be surprised how often the carpets don't match the drapes

But user, I AM the paladin.

Pet yourself, then!

Heavily.

You heard me, soldier. Get to petting. Idle hands are chaotic hands.

Innocuous servant dhampir rogue. You can neck-romance me master

>Innocuous servant
This is a Rogue Archetype?

>"Well, she's pretty good at what she does. Disarms traps, opens locks, sneaks around and all that. But when we're not busy with something, she keeps asking me to order her around, tell her to make tea, and stuff like that. It's kind of weird."

Even better, a Rogue Talent.

Read the linked image.

The bonuses are too small to make any real difference till level 8th, but the flavour is awesome.

I personally allow it to be +3/+6 instead of +2/+4.

>that super-subby rogue

plz no, my dick can only get so hard

Wow, user.

Your puns really bite. Fangs for the pain, buddy.

>THREE situational +3s
But user, that's better than a Skill Focus! You're upsetting the perfect and eternal balance of the CRB! REEEE NERF NOW

you're welcome.

>degeneracy

I can see this argument to be serious in the Paizo forums, ESPECIALLY after the AMH discussion there.

Welcome to /pfg/, Veeky Forums, and Veeky Forums in general, paisan.

>Crapfinder General - /cfg/
Ftfy

I'm not finding that talent, is this a meme?

Welp, that's just great. We have 2 vigilantes who've both been arguing about who gets to court me. Does that mean I get to spend 2 whole hours being headpatted every day? Bonus: I am a high Cha kitsune whose Cha is evidenced by being the fluffiest thing ever. So headpats and tailfluffs? That sounds almost comical as a daily routine. Wake up, spend 2 hours being floofed, go fight evil, break up arguments about waifuing me.

>playing a character who's life is constant anguish
>physical an emotional pain
>tried to die to run away
>didn't work
>seeking more permanent form of death

Can't see redemption coming any time soon, too much self loathing.

Inner Sea Intrigue, bruh. Not on pfsrd yet.

>literally darthedgelord666

Why hello sir/madam, have you heard the good word of Abaddon yet?

Do you worship Shelyn, Arshea or Calistria? See if you can ask your GM to incorporate it into your daily preparing/regaining of spells/worship.

Also, there's nothing that says the one hour of pleasurable willing contact has to be once. Theoretically, multiple people could engage in pleasurable contact with you at the same time.

While you read your spellbook/holy text.

Honestly, I'm surprised they waited until there was a mechanical benefit for doing so before spending an hour a day each floofing you.

Would dropping Sneak Attack advancement at 1st level and 11th level be a fair price for full BAB on unchained rogue?

"For each skill in which either the master or the familiar has ranks, use either the normal skill ranks for an animal of that type or the master's skill ranks, whichever is better. In either case, the familiar uses its own ability modifiers."

Craft some +UMD custom wondrous item for your familiar. Pick the familiar with the highest Charisma score.
Have another party member use the scroll on you.

What's pfg's opinion on paizo's newest releases?

>playing a character who is a servant of the lord of righteous executions
>he feels no sorrow at his duty, because he knows he is doing what is right
>he's actually channeling all his doubts about it into his strangely intelligent owl companion, who is a full-on douchey edgelord
>the edgelord owl can't communicate with anyone but my character, so he spends his time being broody and SKREEEing at stuff
Did I Ravenlord incorrectly?

Damerrich is the one for you.
Let him determine your punishment and sentence for your crimes, and expedite this by following unto him

Nothing says that you can only engage with one person at the same time, so you could cut it down to 1 hour with simultaneous floofs.

Well, owls ARE fluffy little pillows of seething hatred. So I guess it checks out.

Boy that doesn't sound familiar at all.
Did he get the four orbs and upgrade his mech yet?

You guys got me.

Thanks, anons! This book has tons of fun social roleplaying additions. The best? Maybe not, but flavourful.

You mean like a Slayer...?

He isn't edgy. One can be a roil of self loathing and not be edgy. He has legitimate reasons to hate himself, however does not let it effect his work if at all possible.

He recently became the herald of a newly born gone after his time dead.

Bready good.

>If you Polymorph Any Object your animal sage familiar into a humanoid race, would it be permanent?

The real question is, if the cat is now a humanoid race, and is technically smarter than you, does it still count as bestiality?
>news headline: "cat familiar not so smug after sorcerer learns high level transmutation"

>This book has tons of fun social roleplaying additions.
Yeah, right.

Inner Sea Intrigue is kinda meh with a few kernals of gold sprinkled about the shit.

That one new Magic book is kiiinda cool. I know I liked a lot of the options myself.

Yes. I mean the main benefit would be that you qualify for shit less painfully late than normal, since rogues position and buff/debuff for the easy kind of hitting already.

Still it's weird to be full BAB without martial weapons and hit points.

All hail the Hole Alchemist

Yes, except minus everything a Slayer has and plus everything an Unchained Rogue has.

Everyone has different interpretations of fun.

Orgasm touch is hilarious. I imagine its surprise use in a serious monologue with a big bad would cause quite a few laughs.

dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2773770/It-wrecked-life-Man-100-orgasms-day-breaks-describes-daily-hell-rare-medical-condition.html

Personally, I kinda like that one new curse that rapes martials by continuously laying penalties while also causing all thier equipment to gradually disenchant and break.

Can't wait for an asshole DM to use it on some poor sap

holy fuck that's a shitty archetype.
>lose progression to learn new spell!
Also, are you even allowed to take it? It alters discoveries twice!

Fuck the hole alchemist, all hail BLOODBORNE MAN!

>this is literally why martials can't have nice things

I'm fond of the one that shits on Kineticists, myself, simply because it follows that someone looked at the poor Kineticist and thought "Yeah, we should make a curse that shuts down all SLAs as long as the target has less than full HP."

I am unsure what he would do.

Here is the general series of events, going from the character's childhood to the current point in the campaign.

>hobgoblin born the son of a connected politician
>father is decrepit due to an injury in his younger days, but has proven himself clever and coniving in the political ring
>mother dies when he is young, hardly remembers her
>dance is perverse in the culture, character has a love for dance
>father ensures that said love is beaten out of him, gets son to fall in line to enter the military
>lives through the son to do the things the father could not
>character goes off to war, is a soldier for 20 years
>father grows bitter as his son continues to survive and accomplish, doing the things he could not and yet his son wishes he could simply peruse the arts, despises being a soldier
>sort of a "you have what I always wanted but you throw it away" thing
>sets son up for political marriage
>married, has child
>child likes dance as well, character hopes to through her
>wife beats the kid for this shit
>character leaves to go on a campaign
>upon his return the kid is dead, apparently beating went too far, wife is hiding it
>in a fit of rage he strangles his wife
>at the funeral his father not only tells him he has another marriage partner lined up, but that he knew everything and pushed it towards this end
>character during the funeral in a back room throttles his father
>it becomes public knowledge he killed his father
>all the threads of political intrigue fall apart, character is brought to trial and near 100% execution
>character accept this, waits for death to be the end of it
>is saved by one of the highest ranking people in the nation, instead decided he will serve as a living joke and reminder to others
>really the person saw a use for the character and considered his death a waste
>is given his own military unit and given the rank of Major, the military unit is made of rejects
(1/2)

oh gods, lemme guess.
It counts nonlethal from burn as being less than full.

>Avoid playing Tiny Music Boxes around him

Why didn't he just leave the fucking continent in like year 2 of those first 20.

Like, seriously. Is he into this? Is he only feeling alive when he's maximal angst and edge?

That's it isn't it. He fucking gets off on this stuff.

But user, blood hexes are shit

>sent on suicide missions, character proves again he has a talent for coming back alive
>decides that appearances don't matter now that his father is gone, begins to dance
>becomes inter planar dance sensation
>ends up losing several years at planar dance competition
>ends up going on a spirit journey/training thing to the feywild to contact an exiled fey noble to teach him to dance
>the culture they are in for goblinoids has memory being extremely important, memories are alive and as real as the actual person they are of
>dancing is his way of ensuring he is remembered and thus his dead child by extension
>also means his father is, but is secondary
>defeats the matriarch of the blue kobolds in a dancing grudge match with another party member
>is forced into a political marriage with the daughter of the green kobold matriarch
>has kids again
>fears becoming his father after realizing he has tendencies to act like him (the living through another stuff)
>the memories of his father are stronger than ever, so he has him peaking over his shoulder
>starts taking more missions, and finally ends up dying
>goes to the abyss
>campaign continue on a separate arc and the character manages to return, dying didn't work
>kids are born at this point, and he learns in kobold culture you cul weak children
>can't bring himself to do that but knows his wife would, so now he can't leave for fear of them being hurt but can't stay either for fear of him hurting them
>filled with doubt
>was thrust into the latest leg of the campaign
>is technically an outsider still, so if he dies now he is gone forever
>wife got turned to stone during this section
>unsure if it would be better if he die or stay

Also at some point he became a psionic gained a psicrystal. It's the bully personality and full of his aggressive negative emotions. So it's taking on a demeanor similar to his father.

So, bad times.

As someone who doesn't know a thing about psychic magic, what are some great spells you can get with Psychic Preparation?