Traditional board games

Discussion of games that were played before 1900 or modern variants of those games, as well as some modern games that "feel" traditional.

I just recieved a xiangqi set (higher-quality than this one) that I ordered.

I bought my father in law that game for Christmas, don't know if he ever played it (he's been kind of preoccupied with cancer). Is it a fun game? He is a really big fan of chess.

Well, I've only played one game so far and most of it was my opponent asking me to remind them what the pieces were.

That said, I had fun.

Sorry to hear wbout your father-in-law.

What is the best non-chess, non-go traditional game?

How far back do you define traditional?

Murder, pointed stock variant.

Are you including xiangqi, shogi, makruk etc. as ' chess '?

Seconding 's question. Are we counting all games that derived from Chaturanga as "chess"? Or just chess itself?

Anyone here play Shogi? I've been learning it slowly the last couple years and I own a board, but trying to get games with anyone is like pulling teeth, and when I do get games it's with people who barely know the game and as such it results in a stomp.

I know about 81dojo and am on there, but I rarely log on since I don't really have anyone around my level.

Depends on what you consider "best" and what you consider "traditional".

If we're talking orthodox normie games, Poker or Mahjong.

Tag. The answer is always tag.

I did mean just chess itself, but for extra challenge let's disqualify its derivatives too.

Okay, considering none of those (Shogi, Xiangqi, etc) are derivatives of Chess but rather of Chaturanga, I choose Shogi.

If I'm going by what you actually intended to say though, then...I dunno. Nothing really comes to mind as being actually fun/engaging. I like Blackjack, but that's not really a board game and most of the depth admittedly comes from cheating.

Then Mahjong.

>bump

Stratego is the game of kings.

Since there are people throwing out non-board games. I'm going to say baseball.

I wish I knew people who play Japanese mahjong in real life, trying to teach everything to friends who have never been exposed to it before is fucking hell.

bump because whatever

Monopoly.

Why not start them off with Classical Chinese Mahjong? That's the ruleset I'm learning Mahjong with.

Have you heard of Minishogi? It's a shogi variant played on a 5x5 board using shogi rules and a reduced set of standard shogi pieces. It's unsolved and it's apparently quite popular in Japan.

Muh african descended spy

I love Stratego.

Anyone here played Go?
Is it good?
Thhinking of buying a Go board.

I've played Go online.

Do you have any questions?

I enjoy it but I never get to play it, in fact my Go board and stones are across the country in my parent's house still. Right now I would probably be super terrible instead of my just really terrible at my peak.

Twilight Struggle.

Because any game where both players simultaneously feel they will soon lose, and feeling physical ill from the stress is the norm, makes for a great experience in my book.