MTGO Pauper General

Not a thumbnail edition
>MTGO Pauper Guide
cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>BUT I WANT TO SEE ALL VIABLE DECKS!
tappedout.net/users/fruuty/deck-folders/

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>WAHHH THATS TOO HARD WHERE...
mtg-hunter.com
The bottom left has a box, select MTGO Pauper, all cards in the card pool and banlist are taken into account.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!

>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U control
>UB Teachings

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/pauper
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good job this time OP

I'm glad you posted ruse cruise, as I'm actually thinking of coming back to pauper. I don't have any of my old cards on MTGO except for 2 brainstorms, 4 counterspell, and 4 ruse cruise. Is there some kind of U/R tempo deck with decent matchups out there?

Scratch that, I do have the remains of an old standard deck that's a bunch of heroic shit and enchantments from BotG block

Live pauper thread! I'm about to start playing on mtgo for the first time since DKA probably, what's all this shit about play points and leagues?

Modern player here making their first foray into Pauper. The decklist I wrote up is pretty much textbook Mono-U Delver, with the exception of a couple (easy to spot) inclusions and exclusions. I haven't touched sideboard yet, but I'm curious if there's anything you guys could think of to spice things up:

Creatures (20):
x4 Delver of Secrets
x4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
x4 Spire Golem
x4 Faerie Miscreant
x4 Sea Gate Oracle

Spells (22):
x4 Counterspell
x4 Force Spike
x4 Ponder
x4 Preordain
x4 Vapor Snag
x2 Send to Sleep

Lands (18):
x18 Island

Also, it should be noted that the list has no choices made based on budget, only on preference.

Is there any way to make Mercenaries good? I was thinking of pairing them with blue cards like ponder and brainstorm to make the deck super consistent. But the deck seems kind of slow for the format.

Im thinking of making it a control deck that plays one-for-ones then eventually uses mercenaries to generate card advantage.

Any thoughts, brewsters?

Long live pauper.

Well, you have to ask yourself this: "What does my deck do that other similar decks in the format don't do? What do other similar decks in the format do that my deck can't?". If you can answer those questions, and the answers prove to be satisfactory, move forward.

Sorry for such a vague answer, but I think it's a good way to come at deck building in general. I've seen too many times (including with my own brews) decks that end up just being strictly worse versions of more popular decks.

ded format, ded thread

So why Sea Gate Oracle and not Spellstutter? She synergises with Fearie Miscreant. Sea Gate is better for Tron and UW Value-Blink/Acid Trip type decks.

I initially felt Spellstutter was a bit much considering the playsets of Counterspell and Force Spike. After a bit of testing though, I feel like Oracle is likewise redundant given all the easy methods of card draw. I may look into testing with Spellstutter or another utility creature going forward.

Spellstutter plays very well into our concept of tempo, allowing us to leave islands untapped into their turn. Also she flies. And you're a Blue mage dammit, this isn't Modern, act like one! There can never BE enough Counterspells.

That's a good point. But i think pauper is such a fresh format that there's lots of room for new decks. I haven't seem a single mercenaries deck online, so maybe it can be good as well as original.

It's banned.

I wouldn't quite call Pauper a "fresh" format. It's actually been around for a bit, to the extent some veterans have cynically deemed it a "solved" format, in that if you stick to either one of the 12 top decks, you'll be fine. Do experiment though, I'm personally working an Eldrazi Aristocrats deck in an attempt to make Swarm Surge a relevant spell.

But you are right when ou say speed is an issue. A lot of decks become rather unwinnable if you have, and I quote "no relevant turn 1 plays". It's the reason, for instance, why White Weenie is back on the rise- they recently were given Thraben Inspector to play with. I'm looking up mercenaries, and it feels like a weaker Rebels deck with some cmc 2 and cmc 1 toolboxers. Maybe work with some fast mana and Shapeshifters? All the best in brewing!

It isn't on any banlist I can find
But then again neither was fucking Feldon's Cane

magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/pauper

Sadly, they're not gonna let Pauper cast Ancestral Recall :(

>It isn't on any banlist I can find
What kind of banlists were you looking at?

>Sadly
I noticed you haven't played in the Treasure Cruise meta.

Cruise meta was fine, as usual whiny players bent Wizard's arm over blue having nice things

Haven't had the pleasure of casting it. They hit all hammers shortly after the Cruise hit, and during the time I was busy building my Modern BGx which meant I didn't have the money to play it :(

That said, it gave SO MANY Blue decks an edge over my BGx. It gave my friend's 8-creature Cruel Control a 50-50 chance against me, and another fellow fileded an almost straight up Pauper UR Delverfiend with a good matchup against me. Cruise was a real force, almost as good as Skullclamp IMO.

Modern doesnt have blue mages

Precisely my damn point. You think I'd still be playing Modern otherwise? I've got a goddamn Jund that I'm just playing to write off the cost of the deck. I'd rather play a format where Ponder, Preordain and Counterspell are relevant.

The worst part is they dont use counterspell to avoid confusion for new players. When i first started playing I was more confused by negate and dispel than if they had printed counterspell.

Merfolk

Sure, Merfolk exists, but that's more of an aggro deck than anything else. Though I like the Disrupting Shoal lists I've seen popping up recently.

Merfolk is strictly tempo in the most successful versions of the deck.

>mfw pauper general is only alive because of modern talking

>implying that is merfolk
No nemesis, no tribe.

Face it, Merfolk is basically a Sliver deck with marginally okay Blue instants.