Warhammer Fantasy General

Warhammer Fantasy General: Cause Beer, Immune to Psychology Edition

Remember to ignore or report shitposters and off-topic discussion.

Previous thread: →
>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times (Compilation of all the End Times changes)
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy (All pages marked WF on the Veeky Forums wiki)

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki (Warhammer Online wiki with lots of background articles too. Also AoR is not ded: Veeky Forums for details.)

>Resources(Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
www.pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_9th_Age

>Total War: Warhammer (Now confirmed to have mod support!)
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide (Drachenfels DLC confirmed!)
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned (New Warbands in production!)
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2 (More races on the way!)
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War (First patch out, improved world plus Orc/Pirate ports, raids, and Khorne/Beastmen)
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

>Third party Miniature manufactures
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
Google "Unsupported Age", because we can't link blogs here.

Other urls found in this thread:

wyrdwars.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shit, that's not the last thread, this one is

First for hopefully this thread will have minimal shit posting!

Anybody played this wyrdwars.com/ ?

Looked kind of interesting, thinking of giving it a shot.

Speculation time: what was the great plan of the old ones? What was it supposed to achieve?

Would you pat a skaven?

It was just their build que for the warhammer fantasy world.

Warhammer was once based a great deal more in pun and pun like humor.

To create paradise?
They were fucking around with playing god, and then chaos happened, fucked up their shit and left the Lizardmen scratching their heads about what just happened, when nobody picked up the phone to tell them what to do anymore. So they continued protecting what they could (considering they are bound by climate) and safeguarded their ancient relics (like laserguns and forcefields) carefully.
In the meantime everybody else went crazy and blew each other up with magic, cause nobody could handle it, because nobody except the Slann were meant to have it in the first place. And the Slann were basically there for terraforming purposes.

And the old ones themselves never made it back.

So the question is, was the old world just a failed experiment like a petri dish that they discarded after being interrupted halfway through the process or was it supposed to be their magnum opus, leaving a lasting legacy to the universe, that was tragically sabotaged by something they could not have foreseen.

Anyway in the end the whole planet blew up and nothing that happened after that made sense at all anymore.

But yeah, judging by the interrupted terraforming the Old World probably ended up looking nothing like what the Slann wanted to do in the first place.
I don't think I ever read anybody in-universe even speculate about what their plan was, since the only guys that could have possibly known, were literally lizardbrains and had no other agenda besides following orders to begin with.

Whether or not Sotek really happened and what not was always left ambigious, even if the Slann eventually came around and decided he was a thing it could just as well have been a political move throwing the now more independent skinks a political bone.

At least that's my own crackpot theory about it all.

I mean maybe the old ones just wanted to grow some quality weed on a grand scale.
Just look at all that smoke.

So Slaanesh got jealous of their dank grow-op and tricked the other Chaos Gods into putting a stop to it?

watch your spelling, user

So, /whfb/ what are you currently working on?

Reading through Gotrek and Felix, on Beastslayer now even if it's killing my sleep schedule.

>people say 9th Age is dead
>9th Age had to disable gallery part of the website, 'cos they get too much traffic from visitors
heh

>The Grinch is serious about stealing Christmas this year

That could just be evidence of poor website design.

>dat salty WHFBfags tears.

Doesn't matter what edition or game of Warhammer you play, X-Wing is killing our hobby.

They already got me too.

sooo... we should unite with AoS to battle X-Wing?
not going to happen.

No, use X-Wing to hammer home how much people like solid rules design.

Reminder of what could have been if Bretonnia got an update.

To uplift ordered creatures that would be able to integrate chaotic qualities (imagination, will, power and a certain dose of ignorance; in short a soul) to win the struggle of relativity of the material plane to the immaterial and not succumb to it.
It was stopped before humans were able to reach that "overhuman" state and twisted by chaos.
Sigmar (and the emperor in 40k) could have been one of those beings that closed the most the gap to reaching such self governing state.

>So the question is, was the old world just a failed experiment like a petri dish that they discarded after being interrupted halfway through the process or was it supposed to be their magnum opus, leaving a lasting legacy to the universe, that was tragically sabotaged by something they could not have foreseen.
In the introductions to the old world it is often referred as being "central" to the multiversal plan of the old ones, so I don't think it was something unimportant in the great design.

I like how Hastings makes mention of AoS not appearing in top five best selling games worldwide and doesn't bother to present any evidence. I have to wonder if he is thinking of the ICv2 charts, which only account for the US. Not that I'm arguing that he is wrong about AoS sales, just find it funny that he offers no evidence.

Hastings is honestly one of the first people that come to mind when I think of salty GW grognard. For someone who apparently doesn't traffic much in GW rumors because he doesn't care for their games anymore, he certainly finds time in his schedule to be a piss poor shitposter. Which suggests to me that even if he doesn't care about GW's games, he still has some massive chip on shoulder about the company.

X-Wing is selling on more than just that, it's Star Wars and easy to get into on multiple levels.

I said it in another thread, but X-Wing is something of a threat to traditional wargames as they stand. It already has games to go along with it like Star Wars Armada and games like Star Trek Attack Wing which I imagine are similar.

>I said it in another thread, but X-Wing is something of a threat to traditional wargames as they stand
X-wing is threat only for such AAA equivalent as Warhammer.

Possibly, but I can imagine the fact that you don't need to paint being a threat for even skirmish games, particularly those like Warmachine and Hordes which don't always have stellar models in terms of quality.

The only good part in end times was when Throgg killed sigvald and pissed on his corpse. Felt like a proper troll thing to do

Is there an actual possibility for WG to get back to wfb if AoS tanks strong enough?

I would't mind AoS becoming a sort of tie-in and then a different game line altogether without sacrificing WFB

Anybody have reiksguard art?

AoS is 4th. 8th is 3.5. 9th Age is Pathfinder.
wait for Warhammer Next in a few years

Looks kinda tacky.

I would't mind keeping both AoS and WFB, with interchangable miniatures and maybe some rules for stomcast and shit in the other game as special units.

AoS could be the WFB afterlife/alternate destiny after some heroes manage to alter the past with some magic mumbo jumbo and change some details in end times that allows it to end favourably.

I.e. Valten survives and bitchslaps archaon, thorgrim grudgebearer survives the eshin blades, mannfred doesn't shit on everything out of spite.

It wouldn't be that terrible to introduce new heroes inthe old races, i'm totally fine with some things changing.

Like, i'm fine with karl franz dying and the vampire counts get actually nominated counts.

All in all change the setting a bit, leave more dark corners to allow creativity but all in all leave things in balance because all this shit about progressing the plot is asinine

>creativity
>AoS
Nice fanfic

why the fuck did Dark Elfs get two not-bad models from Silver Tower and Wood/High elves get nill? One'd think something called "mistweaver" would be wood elf.

>not-bad models
>literally homo and tranny elves
Top fucking kek, well done GW.

Not in AoS you halfwit

In WFB, new and improved, after AoS

This is a WFB i mention AoS only if marginally.pertinent

>Not in AoS you halfwit
Even in AoS it's still be your fanfic.

Are you even capable of reading comprehension?

But wait i get it now. This is bait

No, because GW has probably put a decent amount of resources into AoS.

There is no real reason to go back to Fantasy either since the market for the past so many years has been in games that are easy to get into and don't cost an arm and a leg. Fantasy's death did not bring about some great hole where everyone and their mother is trying to get a piece of the rank and file pie, because it's not that big. The only people with any interest are those like Mantic whose MO is to basically be like GW.

There is no new fanbase to appeal to, only old Fantasy fans. A decent number of which are toxic and complain if they're not specifically catered to.

>because all this shit about progressing the plot is asinine

It's really not, there is a reason why most miniature games these days are following the progressive plot model.

People just bought the horseshit of "It's a setting u guise:)" because GW utterly fucked up and wrote themselves into a corner twice.

The Mistweaver isn't really a Dark Elf, in fact it's closer to a High Elf as indicated by the crescent moons.

All in all though, you probably should stop trying to look for correlations between Fantasy armies and new AoS models because while the latter may draw inspiration from the former, they're under no obligation to be 1:1 recreations.

>literally homo and tranny elves
that's regular elves

i'll guess i'll pick mistweaver on ebayz and see if I can make a wood elf or a vampire out of it

I don't really see why the plot should progress in any way.

Slight changes to the setting still fon't count ad plot progression, even if the leader of a faction changes name and the old one dies, or if another faction gets the upper hand, the plot doesn't really progress.

>The Mistweaver isn't really a Dark Elf, in fact it's closer to a High Elf as indicated by the crescent moons.
his stuff reminds me of sorceress's staff from black dragon kit, and those seem more like crescent blades, than moon symbols.

also, default color scheme is 100% dark elf, as is his sword.

>People just bought the horseshit of "It's a setting u guise:)"

but what use I have for progressive plot, if my version of the setting has diverged from it at some point?

>It's really not, there is a reason why most miniature games these days are following the progressive plot model.

I blame aspergers.

>that's regular elves
Because some GW shill say it?

because dwarfs say so. elfs are gay.

>One'd think something called "mistweaver" would be wood elf.
It is the Helves who actively use magical mists to cover their island though.

hm? i thought that was Albion, and Ulthuan was shielded by it's fleet instead. no way can you hide a freaking continent.

>I don't really see why the plot should progress in any way.

Because it keeps things fresh and interesting, it allows things to be done with the personal stories of characters fans might like, it allows for the introduction of new models in a natural way rather than pretending that they've always existed.

40k and Fantasy are nice for the depth that can exist, but as that is explored, things quickly end up becoming very dry. This is particularly true of Fantasy which had much less time overall to work with than 40k, an ace up the latter's sleeve. A progressive plot doesn't meant you can't have depth either, Warmachine has quite a few RPG books going into the nooks and crannies of how its factions basically function.

>his stuff reminds me of sorceress's staff from black dragon kit, and those seem more like crescent blades, than moon symbols.

Eh, I saw more High Elf, though foremost was 40k Shadowseer.

Like I said, the new models probably can't be pidgeonholed into being this Fantasy army or another. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up belong to a faction that is akin to the Harlequins or the Wood Elves that were devoted to Loec.

>but what use I have for progressive plot, if my version of the setting has diverged from it at some point?

This is a decent point and I'd argue that you really don't matter. You and people you play with could ignore the progressive plot without things really changing. I'm not sure how many players there really are that try to create a character for their army, let alone create their own headcanon.

Then Priestly must have somehow recently contracted it, since he stated in an interview that he wants Gates of Antares' future to be influenced by the players, akin to the old events GW used to hold.

>People just bought the horseshit of "It's a setting u guise:)" because GW utterly fucked up and wrote themselves into a corner twice.
People bought the still setting because it is more free to be used by the players and less inclined to be milked into degeneration by marketers (see superheros comics)

Companies follow the moving plot because it sells, not because it makes a better creation
Franchises getting removed from the direction of creatives in the hand of marketers undermines the quality of IP, it is not good
>the fanbase is small and toxic
Ok, bud

>AoS player
>talking about small playerbase

It's both, waaaagh grom specifically mentions the mists that cloud ulthuan from conventional routes

>no way to hide a continent
It's elves

>Gates of Antares' future to be influenced by the players,
Hey shill, look here is the problem, BY THE PLAYERS, not managers and 40kfans.

>It's elves
point taken

Why would 40K players be influencing Gate of Antares's future?

Well, actually dunno, but it's your point since you defending GW.

I don't like democracy IRL, why would I like it in-game?

Guess what, you can have a setting and progress it too.

Warmachine, Hordes, Infinity, and Malifaux all do this.

Only 40k and Fantasy players cling to the idea that if a setting progresses it somehow stops being a setting and becomes a story.

Your argument also doesn't hold much water considering how much GW has changed certain factions of both 40k and Fantasy over the past three decades. Just like some cling to the past in the aforementioned, so could any of those in the above games.

>abloobloobloo he said something mean about me, he must play AoS!

First, I don't play AoS, second what I said pretty true. It also applies to 40k players as well, going by their online ramblings both communities are full of miserable fucking human beings who only know how to bitch when they don't get what they want.

I've not really spent much time among the other portions of the fanbase such as those who play Bloodbowl, LotR, Mordheim, Necromunda, Epic, Battlefleet Gothic, etc. However given that a few of those have actually managed to get their shit together and do their own thing even when GW cut them off from the teat shows that they're different.

>Then Priestly must have somehow recently contracted it, since he stated in an interview that he wants Gates of Antares' future to be influenced by the players, akin to the old events GW used to hold.

I think having an update of a setting once a year or so is hardly a problem. Having it be a story that has to leads up to something huge like the End Times that changes the fundaments of a setting is just stupid for a tabletop setting. It's like writing an ending for DnD, which I recall they did and that too was retarded.

I am not the same guy with the huge post. I was just wondering how "40Kfans", who will not play Gates of Antares, will shape the future of the game.

Are you just throwing random words around? If that's the case, then you are acting retarded.

another day, another thread, another shit-posting match.

that's why we can't have nice things!

There is one solution.

We must kill the Slavman.

>First, I don't play AoS
Yeah you just came here and starts shilling for new AoS models and the whole AoS.

I thought you liked AoS, Slav.

Good luck Mehmed last time when you tried we burned all turkomans villages in Syria.

this ain't the Slav, I believe. not his style. and even if it was - both sides are shitposting. Slav might be one side, but the other side is equally guilty.

we need a different solution

>all threads in/tg/ should respect AoS-players
Sorry, it's imageboard, not EU.

you replied to wrong reply, methinks

Who said anything about the setting going through radical change?

Once again, I point towards Warmachine and Hordes who are wrapping up their current storylines that have been going for a decade on longer because a new edition is coming out for both. So far the changes aren't exactly world altering.

I keep abreast of things, that doesn't mean I play the games.

As far as I'm concerned, AoS has a few bright spots and GW could be making a good step forward with some of the changes supposedly coming down the pike. On the other hand they could completely fuck up such changes and the setting is still pretty messy.

I liked the Fantasy setting and models, what I didn't entirely care for were the rules and what I certainly came to detest was the online fanbase which I found to be just as bad as or worse than the adherents of its younger brother.

It's definitely him. He is flip flopping between both sides.

The solution is just getting rid of him.

hm, then he got smarter. stopped making shitty grammar mistakes and stopped directly stating AoS is superior. damn.

can we trace him by IP? i have some friends in Russia, I might get them murder his ass.

>guys I don't play AoS, I just shill here for AoS, GW is good now, buy only GW models, black warpriest is okay, it's good that they finally change naked female elves into naked males, you all should respect GW and their customers, m'kaaay

>Your argument also doesn't hold much water considering how much GW has changed certain factions of both 40k and Fantasy over the past three decades.
There must be a misunderstanding, I'm not arguing against change in all its forms, but progression of a setting as it is commonly done: Capeshit
Perhaps entertaining but ultimately bad for the purposes of worldbuilding since the focus shifts from factions led by characters to characters bringing factions, I don't know if I've got the point across.

I'd would also say that change for change's sake is doesn't bring good development, even the evolution of the factions during the decades have been driven by more reasoning than just "lets shake things up so people buy more", that happened with the rules mainly, aesthetics were led by the desire to explore previously unexpressed ideas, it is a creative process (ultimately for selling, but it is arguably the more direct reason)

I still have to see story driven settings that manage better worldbuilding than retroactive addition nor I see why it would be that way.

Impractical.

We must find away to nuke Russia, the Balkans, and maybe Poland as well.

you don't nuke Russia, Russia nukes you. it has superior anti-missile systems, new ultrasonic warheads with fantastic avoidance system, so they virtually cannot be intercepted, and there was something about big part of US nukes being out of order 'cos they all are severely outdated.

plus, no Russia means no Russian Alternative and no Zvezda, and I'm pretty sure there are manufacturers in Poland as well.

better trace him and murder his ass. ain't that hard, it's fucking Russia.

>Perhaps entertaining but ultimately bad for the purposes of worldbuilding since the focus shifts from factions led by characters to characters bringing factions

Not if you produce the right books.

I've seen a few people say that the fleshing out of Fantasy mostly came from the RPGs, which is how Warmachine and Hordes have handled things. The big books they'd release every so often would advance certain storylines (As of the newest addition they're going to move this over to their publishing arm so that the story isn't held up by the rules and so that they can better explore it.), the books for each army were akin to an army book or codex, and the RPG books covered the factions at large and world at large in greater detail.

The advancement does not have to be rapid either, I don't know much about Warmachines and Hordes, but from what I gather the overall timeline has seemingly advanced around five years or less in the span of a decade.

Personally I find this approach much better for worldbuilding because the progression of time leads to the facilitation of things. For example, Privateer Press is going to add a new faction to Hordes in 2017. There are hints that this new faction is going to come from an unexplored continent which has always existed, but for whom trade with the nations on the continent where the Warmachine and Hordes storyline takes place has been almost non-existent until recently.

Applied to Warhammer this could have led to Cathay, Ind, or other places being made part of the game in a natural manner rather than the way GW would have likely handled it which would be to hamfistedly insist those countries and the other factions already present in Fantasy have somehow been fighting for hundreds of years already.

>12 year old me reading Gotrek and Felix in the evening
>they eat some bread and cheese in the book
>get myself a chunk
of read and cheese from the kitchen
>keep reading

Those were the days

>they kill some skaven
>take kitchen cleaver, slice pet hamster in two

WFB will go through a second golden age on PC Gaming. But it will never come back big on tabletop

I only had a cat

you sliced your cat in two?! but why?! G&F didn't kill any khajiit, i'm sure!

I honestly didn't enjoy the fight scenes half as much as the travelling, camping and eating parts to be honest, it was mostly just Gotrek swinging his axe in a large 8 and felix following him

And that would be good advancement indeed since the plot doesn't move with the characters but the characters move with the plot, but you will understand that people fear this kind of thing is not going on with GW considering they have done the end times the way it happened and how in the AoS things revolve around the big buys like archaon making the rest appear ineffectual or unimportant.

I for one would have liked if the end times presented plotlines without closing them immediately:
Civil war between the elves steps up a notch after the rumored death of the phoenix king and doubts of malekith being the rightful king or subfactions like the witches or how the guys following tyrion were called falling to khaine, or caledor becoming independent

Pestilens ongoing invasion of lustria, the preparations and counters to stop the moon and its meteors creating possibly new fallout sites like mordheim to set anonymous stories in

The vampires still loyal to nagash reviving him and the war of the undead unfolding

Presenting a nurglish battlefront or the official reveal of the skaven to the old world by the invasion of tilea and estalia (without outright destroying them)

The civil war in bretonnia and the expansionist ire of the worldroots

Even the introduction of the order angels ala srormcast or the fyreslayers as the return of the son of grimnir from his fight in hell at the time of the great catastrophe

These would have ways to expand a setting without resorting to story (beginning-execution-end) driven ramifications or outright limitations like the end times went

All setting will inevitably reach a moment of oversaturation and seemingly impossible advancement, like they will instead fall into repetitiveness and meaninglessness if it goes the other direction

Being relatively more stagnant than prone to revolutions at least allows to stop at a more suitable moment

>23 year old me reading the Gotrek and Felix books for the first to get my mind off things
>still bummed out about collapsed relationship with ex-gf
>Ulrika hits awfully close to home with her drama bullshit and she basically has the same personality as my ex-gf
>realise that I probably got lucky that my ex-gf cheated on me and that she now is some other guys problem
>finds out later that ex-gf has been diagnosed with schizophrenia

Says like true turk, hiding behind US nuclear missles.

Same here. I never enjoyed the extended fight scenes in most BL books. Although, it was fine in Trollslayer because William King was working with short stories and didn't dedicate 10-30 pages in a row to action.

by the way, why don't we have not!Ottoman Empire in WHFB? or is it Seljuk Empire? which one's cooler? Turkish history ain't my forte. The one with janissaries and stuff

turks had jannissaries.

and there is no ottoman empire in whfb, I guess Greenskins take their role in the universe with threatening from the south-east all the time

>Who are orcs and goblins

>turks had jannissaries.
Ottomans and Seljuks are both turks from different historical periods. Your reply, while technically correct, is redundant.

do O&G capture imperial and bretonnian boys and make an elite fighting force out of them? armed with muskets and stuff? have O&G got cannons and giant galleys? have O&G advanced architecture and science? do O&G wear turbans? thought so.

that's just Araby, duh. anything muslim is Araby. simple as that.

We have Rat people, Goat People, Lizard People, even Horse People and Dragon People

But we don't have Roach People

those are in 40k. the zerg.

>implying Koksal Baba isn't night goblin boss

Literally, who?

Presumingly they would be somewhere in Kislev.

Don't you mean the Arachnid Xenomorphs?

But Kislev didn't have mayor from Araby.

In a potential future it could happen.

Do any of you collect pirates of sartosa?

So I'm the user who's planning on doing that campaign in Bretonnia - I think I posted about it last night.

Anyway, I want the Orc warboss in the area to be the biggest, most brutal green bastard ever to blight the Old World, and I was thinking of using pic related for him, since he's friggin' huge.

Only thing is - what rules to use?

I've thought of two options, 1. Starting with a regular Wyvern as a base, but adding to its characteristics to represent the model better (maybe +1 to toughness, wounds, and armour save), or 2. Just using the Stonehorn profile (including impact hits etc) and ignoring the fact it can't fly since, when you look at the model, it really shouldn't have the Fly rule.

What do you think? Is there any better way to represent it?

European Union should be depicted as blonde girl turning into disgusting arab.