Applying for an investment banking internship

Applying for an investment banking internship.
r8 my cv Veeky Forums

Don't think I have a shot since not in Ivy League and no experience in finance but oh well

thats the worst fucking resume I have ever seen holy shit.

1 Page max. The guy who reads your resume is gonna assume your objective is to get a job, Ive never understood why people state the obvious "duh my objective is to get a job!" no shit faggot, why else would you be here?

You're not gonna make it, sorry.

Holy shit, please look at a guide on how to make a professional resume. This looks like absolute shit. Why would you put "interests"? that shit pretty much goes in the cover letter.

>he writes cover letters in 2017
lmao'ing at your life. First advice I got from Deloitte was "we wont even read one."

>studies computer science
>applies for an IB internship

This is why I hate the UK

P.S. banking will be obsolete within 20 years

I have all the important shit on one page, should I just get rid of interests?

Also I want some way of expressing my passion for banking, hence the objective.

All the placements I'm applying to have expressed interest in any degree subject. Also I'm applying to more than just IB as a fail safe.

>One company tells you they wont read cover letters

You write one when the company asks for one idiot.

I dont have my interests on my resume. 3 internships. my GPA. My honor roll information. Thats it.

Its gotten me merit scholarships at grad school and a job at a B4 firm.

High Speed Low Drag boy.

If they cant scan your resume in 30 secs and realize you have a high GPA, fat cock, and internships from internationally recognizable firms, its over.

I mean the internship I got for the summer was more coveted (received higher applications and have less places) then IB. Much more well known that the firms I'm applying to as well. It just wasn't an IB placement.

With that in mind do I still not have a chance?

Your resume is supposed to be tailored towards whatever you’re applying for. I can’t tell whether you’re applying for a retail position or a software position (and based off your objective it’s neither).

You need to do a better job exaggerating the parts of your experience or education that would be beneficial to the new position you’re applying to. This does not include cash handling experience and working a till, by the way.

Delete the interests section. Resumes are to be 1 page at absolute max. Nobody cares about your interests anyway, your interests are not profitable than employer. It is you working skills and experience that matter.

Im sorry but this is a terrible resume. Working at a pizza place is not relavant resume experience for investment banking.

My cousin works for Goldman. Got his degree in finance from Duke. Not saying that's the only way in, but thats pretty much what it takes.

Also OP, you have to decide whether working for a large multinational is worth it.

You will be a LITERAL wage slave. Yes your wage will be higher than normal wagies but your entire life will revolve around work.

On top of that you will be surrounded by ultra-competitive normies all vying to climb up the ladder. You will have to play politics and put up a normie act on a daily basis.

99% of people around you will never make an impact on anything within the giant organisation they are part of. They will be LITERAL corporate drones.

Ask yourself if it is worth it. Ask yourself if you want to make an impact or be shackled within the constraints of your organisation.

Source: Work in finance related field here in UK and most of my colleagues are refugees from Big 4 firms or IB firms that couldn't stand the environment and bailed after their training contract.

Lmao this is the worst CV I have ever seen.

>“at some shitjob I was handling like 2k fiat“
>“running penetration tests“
>“I was serving tea in a 4* hotel!!“
>“muh shit brown belt in some nerd sport“
>“data entry at dominos“

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

How does an under 20 year old get experience better than that?
Ik my CV is shit for IB hence why I'm applying to intern before I apply for a full-time position

You give out too much details and its honestly too much text.
I worked in HR for a couple years and I tell you nobody would hire you with that CV.

Larp right?

Right?

Pls?

Never more than one page.

Why would you want to work for the shitty archaic banking system when the crypto revolution is just beginning? Start learning about cryptocurrencies, user.

Here's a job opportunity that you can achieve within a year if you put the work in: become a contractor for Decred. Decred has a DAO with $25 million (and increasing) and they're constantly looking to hire new devs. Here's what to do: learn about Decred, check their github and find something to work on, do it, submit, pull request. If you did good work then they'll hire you. Simple as that.

Now you have a job working on something actually interesting. It's remote work so you have complete freedom. You can travel the world and code crypto. You don't even have to pay taxes, because who the fuck will know?

Ignore my previous post, I was just fucking with you. You can still make it. But do you really want to "make it" as a wageslave for the banking system?

It's pretty bad, content and looks

A-levels
>Philosophy
>Psychology
Degree
>2:2
Work experience
>Some fast food shit

What a waste of time, you have no chance, as soon as the HR roasts see that shit they'll discard your CV.

dude this is shit. you should add that you visit /biz regularly and make your trading decisions based on that

My CV's were never usually this long. I didn't add interests nor did I add objectives (I agree they are very arbitrary). Also I wouldn't include fast food shit on my CV.

Until last week when my friend told me they had an IB interview with morgan stanley. I asked to see his CV and he showed me something very similar to this. Literally past employment that went back until he was 13. No previous internship either just shadowing and fast food stuff and some volunteering. His interests were dance and something else.

His GPA is complete shit from first year but qualified it by mentioning and backing up that he's been getting 3.7's in second year.

I literally have no idea how he got the interview but it is legit I've seen proof. My only conclusion is his CV blew them away (since his gpa was honestly so bad from first year - 3.0).

I would reason that you guys are right, this is literally the reaction I would have to a CV like this usually, but recent evidence that I have seen suggested otherwise.

>study Computer Science
>make 50 bucks off of crypte
>this is my true destiny
>apply for investment banking

The fuck is with this one page resume bullshit? Yeah, one page if you have no work history and are fresh out of uni. Otherwise, it better be 2 or else you arent doing enough.

How important are ECs for IB in the UK? I said I did the bank of england competition and larped as a crypto trader and play dodgeball but I don't have any positions on socieities. For context I put my retail job and did something similar to a spring week at barclays corporate banking when I was 17

ctrl+f
"Veeky Forumsnessman"
>no result found
not going to make it

you trim your experience accordingly. Ive interned at B4, interned at a large bank in their underwriting, and I mention my part time management work during school. The fact that I worked at a bar is irrelevant to my career. It goes unmentioned.

Unless you job hop every 6 months how would you have a mile long resume? List 3 most relevant and important positions youve held. done.

>passive language prose instead of just bullet points of hard numbers, results, achievements, and deliverables
Pretty embarrassing desu.

>those A-Levels
>that 2:2 in first year

I'll be honest user, it's unlikely you'll make it.

>tfw software engineer who's worked at Valve, Microsoft, and Amazon
>my resumes have always been 3+ pages and going to still be growing
NO

FUCKS

GIVEN

ukfag, its ok

It just needs some changes.

You need a short paragraph describing yourself, & why you're suited for THIS role, what have you done in the past.

Your responsibilities under each job should be bullet pointed and easy to understand. I shouldn't have to read a paragraph to work out what you do / did.

In education just state your qualification and title, maybe if its from a reputable uni state the name.

Get rid of interests. Put references at the end.

I know I couldn't do maths or physics instead of psychology because my college was oversubscribed for those subjects

Most proper firms or businesses will require a cover letter too, that's when you chat shit about interest and go into detail.

Guy who does hiring within his company here.

Get rid of your mission objective.

Keep your points shorter, dont be afraid of having a single page resume because im going through 50 of these fuckers right now, make my job easier for me.

Good job not listing generic shit like hard worker or fast leaner, keep your resume as autistic as possible, I want to be able to get the facts right away, not subjective nonsense.

Air training corp is a good thing to have, shows you have some degree of leadership and can follow orders with a degree of discipline.

Interests are pretty pointless to include unless they are autistic pursuits that relate to your industry. I dont really care about your highly of Cadets flighing a glider (Okay I do thats pretty cool but 99% of managers are cynical, bitter bastards that dont give a fuck)

And also if you can right what you achieved/improved/saved costs/made money for the business rather than listing your generic job duties you will stand out BY FAR.

AND FFS WRITE A COVER LETTER THAT RELATES TO THE POSITION IT SHOWS YOU GIVE A SHIT AND ARENT A LAZY FUCK

You're not in target uni, so if you was to get one you'd have to be exceptional.

Seeing how you got a 2:2, your alevels aren't amazing, no previous experience and even having irrelevent information from 4 years ago (seriously mentioning ATC - have you done nothing better since? If it's no recent don't include it) - You're not going to make it.

Best option is to A learn a language, then ensure you know languages such as Python which are heavily utilised, and get some experience at smaller firms if you can.

I'm presuming you're in the UK, so spend half an hour a day finding and emailing financial institutions (ideally small) - with bigger ones you have 0 chance based upon that CV.

also one page or it's binned.

Banking is dead end, it's a quickly dying field much like law. Both in New York and Europe banks are laying off people record numbers, next year and 2019 will be complete destruction of traditional banking.

Apply for hedgefunds for better pay. Less applications too if you apply for nearly 'unknown' funds

>I couldn't do maths or physics instead of psychology because my college was oversubscribed for those subjects
Holy shit that's brutal. I didn't realise schools actually turned students away from maths, or even any subject for that matter.

>tfw you went to a top private school and took maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and economics no problem

I emailed the head of the faculty and the head of the college. Got my high school prof to give me a reference (achieved A* in physics). And still got turned away (didn't want to tell students who already got a place that they couldn't do it anymore).

I could have done Biology but that was it. I chose the next closest thing to science. It was either that or History/Film Studies/Drama/Geography

Would hedge funds accept humanities students for internships in the UK?

Hedgefunds need a phd I thought?
Fuck staying in education for 4 more years on the off-chance I'll get into a hedge fund.

I'd rather just move on from my dream and work in tech for the rest of my life.

You are trolling r-right?

why do people do this? why would anyone want a job?

Also this
I believe the interests part is for them to check what part of life and happiness will you lose by getting the job.
Either to have top keks, or screen the risky candidates who might quit, because they are likely to realise the bullshit.

Also I know Java, Prolog, Python, SQL and BASIC. Java, python and SQL at a very high level prolog and BASIC still in the beginnings.

Should I add this to my CV?

>quickly dying field much like law
Banking is dying, sure. Law certainly isn't. The only issue with law is that there are too many law graduates for the available positions, not that the number of positions is declining.

Law will outlast every other profession. Doctors and bankers will be replaced by robots and computers long before lawyers. It's already happening. The legal profession is the one place computers are still yet to tackle.

IB is a 80-100 hour per week wage slave. You will be miserable.

you fucking dunce, yes. Especially in banking, they love people who can programm, know databases and shit.

thanks for the useful advice anons (this seems the most reasonable out of this thread).

>The only issue with law is that there are too many law graduates for the available positions, not that the number of positions is declining.
This. If you go to a non-joke law school and study hard, there are opportunities.

They had a separate section in the application portal for that so they already have that information. Should I repeat it on CV?

yeh, mention it in your short profile paragraph, right at the start.

Absolutely, why would you not include this on your CV but include your interests? Be logical dude.

also learn a language, Spanish. italian french german are good if you're in the UK - even better is more obscure ones such as Russian.

Yes. Remove fast food crap and
>Bought a motorcycle
Nobody cares.

Try to appear as Chad good at math numbers guy. Explain programming as the means to an end and not an academic pursuit.