So in Warhammer 40K, clones don't have souls and that's why the Imperium and Chaos can't use them. Okay, makes sense...

So in Warhammer 40K, clones don't have souls and that's why the Imperium and Chaos can't use them. Okay, makes sense. But why don't the Tau use them?

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Vitae_Womb
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_of_the_Dune_universe#Axlotl_tank
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

wait what

where is this fluff about clones?

The Imperium doesn't use them because their lack of soul always makes them useless.

Tau don't because they don't do heavy genetic engineering and prefer to just record memories/create AI/consciousness transfer of their greatest heroes instead of making Dreadnoughts and clones. See Puretide Engram.

because every single tau is a clone.

and how the fuck does a clone not have a soul?

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Vitae_Womb

Those sound like cloning devices that are in use by the Imperium.

and if the imperium doesn't use clones, then what is this geneseed business i keep hearing about? never noticed "saving the geneseed" involve hand-relief or mildly invasive testicular surgeries. they just stick a gadget into the guy and suck out some goop - presumably the bone marrow or similar.

Geneseed is a specific space marine organ that holds all the genetic code for a marine to be a marine.

Has nothing to do with cloning.

I think vitae wombs are supposed to be methods of going through pregnancy very quickly, and having them grow to adult age fast, but not actual cloning. Kinda like the fett clones in star wars without the clone part

>Has nothing to do with cloning.
the admech sometimes grows additional organs for implantation in clones when they run out of slaves and convicts, if memory serves.
they are basically destroyed immediately after harvesting organs.
Sometimes they build servitors with cloned flesh too though.

That also has nothing to do with Geneseed.

indirectly it does. when the admech has to supply a new chapter. 's initiates with organs to implant they are grown in clone bodies. Doesn't mean you get more geneseed, but you get more organs out of the geneseed. And the geneseed does contain the organ's templates.
The whole space marine creation thing (and some of the organs) is bogus anyway, since it completely ignores how genetics work as it was written in the 80s, but it's in the Index Astartes Article Rites of Initiation.

just saying there is fluff about cloning, since some people seem to have not heard of that stuff before

Which is only done as an extreme last resort measure to restore a severely under-strength chapter that also needs the approval of the highlords of Terra to do. Normally, they'd use the stores of geneseed that was tithed to Terra.

Have you heard the phrase "The sum of the individual parts together is more than the total"?

You can clone a hand and stick it on to a person, and that becomes their hand. You can ship of theseus your entire body like this because it provides an unbroken chain of identity. Buy you can't just create a clone out of whole cloth and expect an identity for it to be created. As far as the warp is concerned, you've just moved a bunch of parts around, you haven't merged them into a recognizable individual.

Whereas conceived offspring whether carried naturally or brought to term artificially, combine traits from both parents to create a new identity.

TL;DR Trying to samefag reality with clones doesn't work for the warp since it uses the same ip address, so it doesn't raise the poster count unless you disengage from your current identity and assume a new one.

but it's possible to clone stuff.

Why the imperium doesn't use clones to bolster their ranks is anyone's guess. The HH books had genetically altered Imperial units.
Though strictly speaking the Imperium doesn't even need clones. The one thing they have in abundance are numbers.

Because clones have negative luck. Last time the imperium tried a regiment out of cloned imperial heroes, everybody died horribly.

Yeah, and even penal legion and conscripts are better at bolstering ranks and not dying quite as horribly compared to clones. Waste of time and effort and resources.

>Why the imperium doesn't use clones to bolster their ranks is anyone's guess

The same reason they don't conscript even more people from hive worlds into the guard. Probably because the Imperium doesn't have the ship capacity to increase the number of soldiers in the guard.

>Have you heard the phrase "The sum of the individual parts together is more than the total"?

No, and neither has anyone else. The platitude goes:

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Have you heard the Grimdark phrase, "People are an infinitely renewable resource?"

OT, this means that you have to start with all of the parts - including a soul - otherwise, vat-growing a human only produces stillborn copies with no souls [animating sparks] good only for parting-out. Kinda like PP today - except without the murder step.

Because why use clones when you have actual robots? Clones are expensive to make and feed.

I don't remember Afriel Strain lacking souls.

There's no established rule of "clones don't have souls" but the examples of cloned Marines in fluff, they always end up too insane and unstable to be of use.

Even if it weren't ineffective the Imperium has a ban on it as unnatural anyway.

>because every single tau is a clone.

Wrong.

They are testtube babies like the Dark Eldar. Learn what cloning means, you pleb

You get what I mean though.

But yeah, you have to act in a certain way in the real to cause the warp to create a reflection of the parts as a discrete existence, otherwise it's just a number of discrete existences existing in a pattern.

You could teach it response to stimuli and whatnot, but that would still be reliant on controlling the pattern so when random variables are introduced it accrues error and becomes erratic essentially acting like an insane person.

I mean, I'm clearly just speculating here but it's Warhammer and the Warp so fuck it.

I highly recommend reading The Culture in WH40K fanfic since the guy who writes it has an interesting explanation of how the warp and the real interact with each other. Totally not canon, but once again 40k so really I wouldn't worry about canon too much.

Besides, it's just an interesting possible explanation I'm not saying they have to make it official or anything.

Wait, so are clones pariahs then? Are Tau pariahs, for that matter? I'm assuming not, since they can convince humans to work with them, but wouldn't that mean that they have souls?

It's a Dune reference.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_of_the_Dune_universe#Axlotl_tank

>Wait, so are clones pariahs then? Are Tau pariahs, for that matter? I'm assuming not, since they can convince humans to work with them, but wouldn't that mean that they have souls?
No, Tau do have soul and warp presense, but it's barely noticeable.

[citation needed]

Primachs are artificial beings, Fabulous Bile cloned a lot of people (including Horus), Corax (amongst others) made clones, and Replicae were common during the DAoT.

Also, blank=/=no soul, despite what the Eldar claim.

Neither do I.