The Legend of Zelda Role Playing Game

1d4chan.org/wiki/Legend_of_Zelda_RPG

I like Zelda and I kinda like this system, but I think it could be better. Anyone want to workshop this?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/view/7723dfl07gw3jc7/Legend_of_Zelda_RPG_Beta_3.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Anyone want to workshop this?
You first, OP.

What, you didn't think Veeky Forums got shit done without anyone actually doing work, did you?

Nah senpai. I can see why you'd be disheartened by a barebones OP, but I'm interested in working on the system. I just wanted to see if there was an interest, or if I was the only one who liked the system.

What's good about this system?

I think it has some neat ideas, like the virtue system. I like that it rewards bonuses not based on not what you do, but how you do it.

It also helps that I just love dicepools.

Can I play a male Gerudo?

gannondorf plz go

I think MP is too hard to recover compared to SP, but the power difference between spells and techniques is small. SP can be recovered tactically, but MP comes down to rupees or luck.

I've found the rules take an eon to describe rudimentary concepts. I'd like to revise the wording on the pdf/wiki sometime.

Reevaluate Cascade Casting.

If you want to fix the wording, that'd be the most helpful thing to happen to the system since... probably the first guy to say "Hey, what if we started?"

If your DM allows it

I like it, but I also don't have to deal with the fact that I wrote it poorly to understand the rules.

Doesn't Cascade Casting only come at Smarts 3? Magic is not very viable before that. I also don't recall Cascade Casting granting any sort of recovery, only saving. The issue remains once you're out.

As it stands, my Agility + Wits ranged bros have drastically outperformed me with little cost. I can't match their damage and I can't take damage well. I figured I was rolling a glass cannon, but despite being unable to recover, I can't nuke any better than them. I picked up some melee so I can parry and have any defence, but it's been virtually useless. Also, rupees for MP recovery in the form of potions leaves me behind in training.

Since I picked up melee anyway, I figured with the next two essences I'd invest in brawn/guts/shields and then buy a shield and armour, and from how things are looking, this build is superior as I'm sturdy and do reliable damage with no risk of running out for the dungeon after a few turns.

You should be at Smarts 3 after the first dungeon so no excuses. If youre low on mana then either you dont have enough Survival or your DM is fucking you. The drop table is supposed to refill whatever resources the party needs. You shouldnt be buying mp potions faster than the melee guys are buying health potions. Are enemies using team actions? Because dodgers get pulped during team actions.

Also, archers are just overpowered at low levels. I didnt find a way to nerf them before I put the system on "hiatus"

I'll be going through and seeing what may need rewritten. Quick thing though as I go through the Attributes, though.

>If you have at least 3 points in Wits, you do not take the success range penalty on harmonics

I know that Instrument checks have to do a check, but I've found nothing on what penalty this refers to. Or maybe I'm just not sure what it is.

Antiquity rule. There were originally plans to have certain songs only count sucesses on 5s and 6s to increase difficulty. When songs randomly fell to me I didnt feel like figuring it out. Songs can be made with that penalty though, at DM discretion

First of all, to suggest I should have chosen smarts shows that this is imbalanced because no other build is stuck with one attribute. Wits offered MP and also applied to more of my skills. I should reap benefits from going smarts but it shouldn't be necessary.

Survival is my second highest skill, but luck has left me boned. Smashing pots and cutting grass is also retarded from a role playing perspective after the fifth time you do it in one sitting. While I'm collecting arrows from bushes my peers can just idle an action and recover SP.

I'll give you that our enemies haven't been using team actions though.

I see! I'd either commit to that or change it, though. My ideas right now are

>more than one D6 for a harmonics check
or
>upgraded roll tables on survival checks on breaking pots and cutting grass

I like the survival one.

Smarts is your damage attribute, you need it as much as archers need agility amd fighters need Brawn. And what techs are they running around with that are so broken and if youre hurting for mo so badly why havent you taken the spell that literally gives you mp that was written for this exact purpose? Tell your DM to use team actions, tell him the dev assures him theyre needed for balance. Block is supposed to be the best defense.

Has your dm been telling you the drop table? You should at least be dropping 5d6 per room at chargen. You took utility spells, right?

Also, I'm curious what you think of this. In the rules, it says Brawn + Ranged is used for thrown weapons, but I'm making an alchemist supporting DMPC. He's mostly useless, but he'll throw the occasional flask of acid or alchemical fire. The question is, would throwing a flask of something count as Agility or Brawn? It'd probably have the range of similar thrown weapons, but I feel like that'd be a thrown weapon that use more coordination than sheer throwing power.

Personally, Id rule its Tools plus Agility but its open to interpretation, could be brawn and spellcraft if you wanted.

Again, I have a lot going for wits. I accept the one dice smaller pool for not taking smarts. But the MP management being locked behind smarts is imbalanced.

My spells drop from chest tables and I don't get to choose them. But if this is the case you should make it a base spell that all spellcasters get as a core rule, like all musicians have instruments and archers have bows. Or the wiki should at least strongly recommend it.

I have some utility spells. We haven't been dropping by room though.

Been reading through, here's my suggestions. If I get opinions, I will write something for the wiki/pdf.

>SKILLS
Overall, I think the point of each skill is conveyed, but it's kinda messy. It could really benefit from some consistent formatting, such as "this skill is used for this and this and sometimes this, this is how you'll use it, and under these circumstances you'd use these attributes".

>Melee
Parrying isn't mentioned here.
>Heavy
An important factor is the size difference between the wielder and the weapon. I think it could be weaved in here, but once again, it's not a big deal.
>Ranged
Should be (B,A) because it includes thrown weapons like pots. It should probably be mentioned, too.
>Athletics
I think this is fine, but it's the only one with some hard numbers in it. Just... jumping rules out of nowhere. I think general athletic stuff like jumping or climbing in combat could have a little blurb in situational rules, kinda like how swimming combat does. But that's just me.
>Riding
Doesn't specify what situation you'd use Smarts or Agility for.
>Survival
Doesn't specify what situation you'd use Smarts or Wits for.

Your DM is supposed to let you train spells you want. Of course youre going to be ass if hes rolling spell effects as loot. Talk to your DM, dont go on tg saying the system is shit because youre being actively crippled. And you need to reconsider yourself when you have the dev of the system telling you you built your character wrong for what you wanted to do. Get 3 smarts, build a cascade rotation, and roll survival ecery room.

Wits main is for musicians, not wizards. And wizards are not as dps as martials, this isnt 3x

Full steam ahead on formatting.

Agility is horseback, smarts is for carts

For survival its make an argumebt for it based on locale

If you're going to balance it so only one attribute works per build, just add classes and levels, nigga. The appeal of the system is the openendedness. It's as easy as untying this shit from attribute levels.

Nigger, you are so salty I'm about to open a french fry factory.

Must suck to be so bad at the system you have to shitpost on Veeky Forums about it, to the guy who wrote it.

Must suck to not be able to take criticism. Sorry dear, the system is far from perfect.

I don't this think this is shitposting, but it is not accomplishing much.

I think while leveling outside a build is okay, you shouldn't expect a lot of damage from sacrificing, say, Smarts.

I don't want this to come off terribly rude, but it might because I'm exhausted. But have you played the system? Or are you basing this off of one user who is not only playing his character poorly, but actively being nerfed by his DM's style?

Would you build an archer that doesn't spec into Agility? Would you build a brawler that doesn't spec into Guts? It's a classless system, but that doesn't mean you can throw your points around randomly and still expect the same level of power. There are in fact builds inherent in the system and that's not a bad thing.

And getting an attribute to three is an investment, not a challenge.

I'll be back in the morning

There really isn't much TOO Zelda worth salvaging to TT. The settings vary from game to game and are usually fairly generic, and are focused around a singular hero

Well some of us want to play in the setting, and one can establish any setting one wants (there are more than one settings in the game such as Labrynna).

Skill write-ups.

Melee (B,A,W): The Melee skill is used in all melee weapon attacks, grapple initiations, and parrying. As a general rule, anything dealing with close-range strikes will deal with melee, such as slashing, piercing, or punching. Most weapons will use Brawn, but a few lithe weapons such as rapiers or daggers can be used with Agility, at the cost of damage. Parrying, a defensive option, also uses Melee in conjunction with Wits.
Heavy (B): When weapons are far heavier than normal melee weapons, they utilize the Heavy skill. Heavy weapons are weapons two sizes larger than the character's size, dealing tremendous damage and buckling down enemies at the cost of being cumbersome. Brawn will always be the attribute associated with heavy weapons.
Ranged (A,B): Ranged attacks that are shot or thrown utilize the Ranged skill. Shooting a foe with a bow and arrow, crossbow, or slingshot will rely on the coordination to aim with Agility, while thrown weapons, such as knives, pots, shrubbery, or swords, rely on Brawn.
Shields (G,B): All tactics involving a shield, such as blocking or shield bashes, use the Shield skill. The Shields skill is typically a defensive skill in conjunction with Guts, unless used to be make offensive strikes with a shield, which would use Brawn with Shields.
Spellcraft (S): Any use of magic (except for Wave Magic, which is the power of music), whether studied or innate to the character, would warrant the use of the Spellcraft skill. Spellcraft will also be used to determine the success in wielding magical items, like the Bombos Medallion. Smarts is always the associated attribute to Spellcraft.
Instruments (W): The Instruments skill is used in music-making and performance. Specific songs are often empowered with magical effects, such as the Song of Storm's ability to make it rain. Wits is always the associated skill with Instruments.

Athletics (B,A,G): The Athletics skill is used in dodging and feats of athletics or acrobatics. Athletics will frequently be used in activities such as running, swimming, or climbing. Depending on the finesse of the activity, it could either be paired with Brawn or Agility, but when endurance becomes a factor, the check may become Athletics and Guts. Dodging is also a defensive action that is used with Agility. Athletics is also used when falling from great heights, if the Sage is accounting for fall damage.
Riding (S,A): The Riding skill is used for maneuvering mounts as well as other actions that occur while on a mount. When performing a check for another skill while riding on a mount of some kind, the skill part of the check cannot exceed ranks in Riding. The rule of thumb with attributes is that a vehicle, such as a cart or a train, will require Smarts to use, while animals will require Agility.
Stealth (A): Sneaking around or making sleights of hand require the Stealth skill. Stealth checks are often compared to opposing Perception checks, as well as compared on a table of modifiers. For almost all cases of stealth, Agility is used.
Perception (W): When noticing something that's not actively being searched for, the Perception skill is utilized. Perception checks are for hidden objects with subtle clues, so a check is not needed for direct investigation, save for invisible objects. Wits is always the associated attribute of Perception.

Took a little creative liberty with the Survival write-up, and I guess I came up with a decent rule of thumb for Survival. Does wild vs. urban survival sound good to you guys?

Survival (W,S): Gathering resources (such as breaking pots, cutting grass, fishing, or foraging for food) call for the Survival skill. Generally, Survival requires the instinct and perceptiveness of Wits when used out in the wild, but when in populated environments such as dungeons, castles, or villages, Smarts will be what is used.
Lore (S): Recalling unfamiliar stories or specific points of interest require the Lore skill. If the character would likely know something about a topic, such as a goron chef recalling the finer points of making a rock sirloin, then a Lore check is not needed. Smarts is always the associated attribute for Lore.
Composure (G): Keeping a straight face, not bowing to pressure or fear, ignoring pain, or holding back tears are a few uses for the Composure skill. Most social checks are left up to the whims of role play, but for when these situations are important, Guts is the associated attribute.

I think that's a great change to Survival, myself. Makes a lot of sense.

Much better!

This might also be somewhat nitpicky in regards to the Skills section, but I think the table showing skill point costs should be oriented sideways, so there isn't a lot of empty space. I'm autistic like that.

Where's the latest PDF? Is the one in the wiki the latest?

mediafire.com/view/7723dfl07gw3jc7/Legend_of_Zelda_RPG_Beta_3.pdf

This is the link on the wiki, I think it's the latest one.

Great, thank you.

So does anyone have any tips for a GM wanting to make dungeons and puzzless? Because the first thing I think of when I think "Zelda" is "Dungeons with puzzles," and I've tried thinking of interesting puzzles, and all I got were a few ideas

The only unique item I could think of was a pair of Wolverine-like claws that could lift super heavy stuff. Like the silver and gold gauntlets from OoT, but without the potential for shenanigans to the tune of "They increase my strength so I can lift a 10 ton bolder, why can't I hit harder?" I think that was mentioned in the pdf, but I don't remember

I came up with a half-baked idea that was something like Dark Palace from LBW. It was going to be an old concert hall that had been buried for a long time. Ghosts were down there, and are normally invisible and intangible, unless there was a loud noise, where they would become solid again. I was also trying to come up with a puzzle involving sound, like Dark Palace had platforms only show up in either bright light or the dark, but I couldn't think of anything. Dungeon Boss was going to be a big version of the other Ghosts, doing some magic and other sound related shenanigans and it was going to be revealed that they were all members of the orchestra that was trapped and died in the concert hall, but I never got to that far.

I also had an idea for a temple that challenged all three virtues, where Power was going to just be a gauntlet of enemies, Wisdom was going to be some puzzles and riddles, and Courage was going to be some Indiana Jones Last Crusade shit where you had to walk across an invisible bridge to a leap of faith or something, but again, never really got much.

One last thing that I thought of for giggles was the idea of a big character like a Goron tossing a smaller character like a Kokiri to a higher place, where they had to do something solo to open a door for the Goron. Never really decided on what to do with that though, besides giggle to myself of the mental image.

A sound-based dungeon is a genius idea. Why not make it so you have to have loud sounds - or perhaps certain tones - to make certain destroyed areas of the concert hall become tangible again? 'Structure ghosts', you see...

So like, you have to move around backstage and along the rig around the stage holding the lights, the weights for the curtains, and so on. Different tones make different parts of the backstage tangible again.

You could also have it so different tones / songs produce different props for the stage, which are needed for different puzzles around the place.

That's actually a not half bad idea, to have the sounds also affect the structures as well as the people.

Might also be fun to get a soundboard of a bunch of different instruments. Like, to make the Boss visible, you have to hit this big xbox hueg gong, and have a gong sound clip ready for when they hit it.

Hmm... I'll go back to working on it. Might post the final result if I actually manage to finish it.

That gives me an idea, at least for the development side. Get people to create dungeons and start posting them on the wiki, like in image form, something like pic related, but less shit.

Yes exactly. That'd be great!

10/10, would support

Alright, well, tomorrow I'll get to work on making a shitty MSPaint version of my Sound Dungeon. I'll even give it a cool name and everything, like "Ancient Hall" or something. Get the ball rolling on the whole "contribute to helping make Dungeons as examples of things you can do."

But for now, sleep.

>Captcha is trains
>There is a train going off in the distance right fucking now
Google pls

You should put a line at the bottom saying that the descriptions are rules of thumb and everything is open to interpretation and justification on the part of the Sage and the Player. For example, parrying a dragon could arguably use Brawn instead of Wits. If you're ritual casting, it may use Guts. etc.

>the check may become Athletics and Guts
Brawn and Guts

>wild vs. urban
Seems pretty good to me

Good job user.

Depends on the party.

No, really. What your party will be able to figure out in an enjoyable manner depends on them more than the puzzle.

"Why can't I hit harder?" was answered in this setting by making the effect actually lighten the thing your holding, rather than making you stronger. So, the golden gauntlets made that 10 ton bolder 10/2^4 tons, which you can pick up.

>Equations?? In MY tabletop??
Yes, they were necessary.

sound dungeon sounds pretty baller though

>While the above usage of skills will be how they are used for the vast majority of checks, there may be others at the Sage's discretion. For example, putting on a disguise may be ruled as Stealth and Wits. If a situation arises where a given check doesn't seem to fit, the Sage and Players are welcome to think of a combination of Attribute and Skill that works for the group.

So next I was thinking of looking at the Virtue write-up, and it's mostly good. I might rewrite it anyway, but one thing I was thinking of adding were examples. I wanted to weave them into the writing or just add them at the bottom. Particularly, I wanted three examples of each attribute that exemplify these three elements of a tabletop RPG

>Combat
>Exploration
>Social

I think I've already got good examples, too, both in the writing and from my own. Does this sound like a good idea?

Oh, and maybe it'd be neat to have pictures, while I'm thinking about it. Maybe have the symbols for the three virtues.

More power to you man

Virtues are a special stat, representing the three aspects of the Triforce: Courage, Power, and Wisdom. Rather than being based on what type of action a character does, Virtues account for how they are accomplished. When an action displays the character's Virtue, that character gets a bonus dicepool based on the stat within that virtue. Virtues start at 0 and can be raised to a maximum of 3, but raising a Virtue is extremely difficult. A basic starting character has 1 rank in a single Virtue of their choice, and no ranks in the rest.

Courage is associated with heroism and bravery. The path of Courage involves putting things on the line and making sacrifices to achieve a goal. Courage is added for actions such as putting their own self in harm's way for an ally, doing things that are risky, facing fears, or making stands against larger forces. When a lowly Deku bravely charges a rampaging Dodongo. When a Hylian explorer braves a trap-lined hallway to get to the treasure chest on the other side. When a Terminan citizen stands up to a knight for picking on the weak. To everyone else you're crazy and reckless. To those who see it, you have Courage.

Power is associated with force and authority. The path of Power is one that is blunt and straightforward, often foregoing subtleties and finesse. Power is added when a character approaches a problem with brute force, or asserts their dominance over the meek. When a Gerudo warrior brutally assaults an enemy to strike fear into its allies. When a Goron brawler thinks a swift kick to the locked chest'll do the job faster than the delicacy of a lockpick. When a bandit kingpin intimidates one of his thugs to follow his orders. To everyone else you're brutish and grisly. To those who see it you have Power.

Wisdom is associated with contemplation and manipulation. The path of wisdom is refined and precise, preferring to take the time to analyze a situation, being cautious and discerning. You add Wisdom when you decide to act with clear planning. When a Hylian archers waits for the opportune moment to shoot a specific spot rather than fire a volley of arrows. When a Zora sorceress senses what lies in the next room before allowing her party to continue. When a Twili investigates for clues rather than immediately assume a man accused of stealing is guilty. To everyone else you're overly cautious and slow. To those who see it you have Wisdom.

ITT post zelda art

So what are some PC's you guys have in your campaigns? I've accrued quite a lot in my year of running our own Zelda campaign.

Pic related is Gordon, a world-renowned rock chef. He was the strongest PC for awhile, until certain events in the story. He hefted a cauldron around that let him cook many things, but most of all, his passion was for cooking rocks. Often he'd cook for the party and make burgers.

He actually died in the first dungeon from a giant skulltula attack in the first dungeon, and the party's current objective is to journey to the desert to see a man that may be able to revive him. But the nature of his revival is currently unknown.

Can I suggest a new race? Hytopian humans could get clothing/armor bonuses since they're all about fashion and magic clothes.

Perhaps they have the ability of functional cosplay.

Oy vey! This guy's Jingle, and he's a user of Rupee magic with his Tingle Tuner DS. I think I'll just lay this bio here and leave the rest to imagination.

>After the king of Hyrule ordered the final solution on the Tingle peoples in the 1940s, many were left homeless and downtrodden. Herman Tinglestein Sr. vowed that his wife and young son would never want for anything, and so set out to found Tingle & Sons Banking Co. Now fully grown, Herman Tinglestein Jr., now calling himself Jingle, lives each day in search of two things: finding a fairy waifu, and sweet sweet rupees.

Power seems kind of pigeonholed as a musclehead virtue, which strikes me as odd since the relevant Triforce-holding villain is a wizard and stuff.

In my rewrite I tried to address that by giving an example of someone who just has authority over someone, the bandit kingpin. I'd certainly say that other kinds of power count -- in fact, I was just wondering if seduction would count as gaining power over someone.

Alright, with the Virtue section done, I'm thinking of doing races next. First thing's first... I think I'm going to add a blurb that the Sage and players decide on the races of a setting beforehand. Obviously, not every Zelda setting will have a Termina for there to be Terminan humans. So maybe just a blurb saying that the group should decide what's available, or hey, maybe it's a kitchen sink setting.

Are there any revisions that need to be made to races? I know I certainly have a few things I'm wondering about.

Either that or they could wear multiple layers. Like you could combining clothing effects in similar slots. Zora and Goron Tunic for surviving in water and lava, for example.

For the racial lore, have it be a mish mash of events that allow all the races to exist at once (open portals to Termina the Twili, and the Ocean King as well as the Zelda world being expanded to include the Great Sea and new Hyrule) or just Hyrule Warriors it if you really have to.

That's retarded and you're retarded.

Also be sure to let all of the variants of each race in (Ocean King Wizzrobes with scythes as well as the regular and Great Sea standard versions). I think we have a lot of normal and mook races in but it's nice to be able to play as all of them.

Well excuuuuuse me, princess!

I think it should be a little more narrative focused, especially at higher power levels. Exploring great dungeons and leading great battles against evil.

I think higher level stuff should turn into something like Hyrule Warriors: The RPG. Take some cues from Exalted.

Dumpan images for a bit

What will Young Link think of meeting his Triforce Heroes counterpart wearing the Fierce Deity outfit?

All we seen to be mainly missing seem to be Hytopians, Minish, Fairies, and Great Sea/New Hyrulians. Minish and faries can probably be left as plot points though.

ok done.

Why are constructs weak to light and why can they only be large? Shouldn't they they run the gamut?

I'm glad to see that there's still interest in this on Veeky Forums. The people involved with it and the Paper Mario system that was being built at the same time were really cool, and I thought it was regrettable that they petered out.

I'm not the original author, so I couldn't tell you. My guess is that the reason they're Large is because of the whole mass thing. They're living statues, after all! As for the light weakness... I have no clue. I think a lot of these racials need to be looked at, moreso the further down you go.

Gonna need a second opinion on this one, but to me the paragraph on Power seems a bit... negative? Filled with evil connotations?

>asserts their dominance over the meek
>assaults an enemy to strike fear
>intimidates one of his thugs

If Virtues are to represent the heroic virtues mentioned in the ALttP medallions or connected to the triforce, then I think the texts should have a more balanced set of examples. I'm also of the impression that power in itself doesn't have to be exclusively brutish or grisly, merely a reliance on force (of muscle or will) rather than technique. The Triforce in particular is claimed to magnify the traits of the wielders, regardless if the traits were good or bad.

But constructs don't have to be big. There were little robots and stuff in SS. Also whatever the heck is Fi.

Are we reading the same first paragraph on Power? That's exactly what it explained.

Yeah, I know, which is why I think the racials need to be looked at.

Generally what I'm thinking of is having variance. For instance, there were various sizes of Twili in TP, and I think that's one of those races that can have variable sizes depending on what you roll.

It's not the explanation/definition

>Power is associated with force and authority. The path of Power is one that is blunt and straightforward, often foregoing subtleties and finesse.

but the examples that I take issue with - unless the intention is for the rules to paint the power Virtue as something villainous more often than not.

It's more of a misinterpretation of the examples you listed though the second one is hard to see. But yeah it could use a rewrite.

Actuality the Twill were missing their variants. The Royals/Nobles were like Midna and Zant and the basic enemies were another variant. Though I think all that would need to really be altered would be the size range.

I think he's talking about the rewrite! And I agree with him.

>Power is associated with force and authority. The path of Power is one that is blunt and straightforward, often foregoing subtleties and finesse. Power is added when a character approaches a problem with brute force, swift action, or with authority. When a Gerudo warrior makes an example of an enemy to strike fear into its allies. When a Goron brawler thinks a swift kick to the locked chest will do the job faster than the delicacy of a lockpick. When a hardened Sheikah guardian commands a subject to stay their sword. To everyone else you're brutish and grisly. To those who see it you have Power.

I thought of Impa a bit for this.

stat me, Veeky Forums

Yeah nothing on there suggests evil besides the Gerudo one and that can be at least interpreted as neutral. But they're usually have a reputation as bandit thugs except in the case of Four Swotds Adventure, so that fits in fine.

Dumb. This could be any generic fantasy heartbreaker.

What's distinctive about the Zelda games is that they deliver a lot of the gameplay of a traditional roleplaying adventure without getting bogged down in number crunching. All these generic skills and attributes work against the adaptation.

A character in a Zelda-style tabletop should have a bare minimum of stats on their sheet - like maybe Power, Wisdom, Courage and a health and energy bar. What defines Link's progression in the video games is the tools he collects along the way, so building a character should be ALL about the items (allowing that an item might occasionally be a magic spell or racial trait). I'd make it so that each PC is functionally identical until they gather some gear and then each have a unique set of tricks to perform.

The dev approach was "This system should apply to all zelda games, so here are the rules for all of them, pick and choose what you want" Which... arguably became an excuse when it came to mounted combat and sailing and stealth...

Because "Construct" was just a generalized term for Iron Knuckle and Dark Nut, the only "constructs" that any of the devs had actually played with (none of us had played SS or anything further, not muh zelda)

Both of those enemies were literally made from dark magic... and they needed a bit of a nerf, size Large is a big plus. Balancing size was just overall very tricky.

Other than Imp midna, they were all roughly human sized, weren't they?

I agree with you after having played it. First, I agree that there's too many numbers. I especially dislike the Tools skill and I think every PC should be able to use tools efficiently. PCs that spec high tools have a lot of that Zelda feel and the rest, not so much. As you said, it starts to feel like any generic fantasy heartbreaker at that point. I like the idea of every PC starting identical and getting more defined over time through items -- I like it more than that weirdass essence system. Survival is boring and grindy and doesn't feel Zelda at all. Riding does nothing but inhibit through its existence. The game would be more interesting without it.

I was going to say I disagree with you in some respects, and went to look for skills I thought made the game more enjoyable through their existence, but I found the things that are most fun are the virtues and you already suggested that, and the tools. So I completely agree with you. An item-centric system would be much more fun than this.

Which game suggests Iron Knuckles/Dark Nuts are constructs? And wouldn't the things in Stone Tower be constructs?

If you have a better name than Construct, suggest it and make the change.

Tools as a skill existed so that there was a dice pool associated with doing something odd buuut, as I'm sitting here thinking and listening, it might be better to just say "if you can't justify another skill in it's place, just double your attribute dice"

I've also been thinking about bringing out an old idea for Survival. The idea was you choose some resource, be it Hearts, Mana, Ammo, or Bombs or what have you, you roll Survival after a fight and however many successes is how many hearts/blocks of mana/quarrels/etc you find. Do you think that would be an improved system?

And what is your problem with Riding?

>And what is your problem with Riding?

It's a points sink with no function but gatekeeping. The determining factor in whether you can perform Ride actions should be whether you have a mount.

Whoa, that's what constructs were? I never would have guessed.

If you do it just by the quality of the mount, then there's no variation from character to character in their ability to ride. But when you put it like that I do see what you mean. We designed the skills knowing that there were different tiers of importance, that's why the Minor Essence is 1 point to 2 different skills, to mechanically force/allow/encourage building up your alt stats, buuut

Let me ponder.