/ccg/ Custom Card Thread /cct/

Stop making shitty creatures and start making shitty noncreatures Edition
(Are you a bad enough dude to make cards that don't care about creatures)

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Formatting Guide
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/
photojoiner.net/
fotor.com/features/photo-stitch.html

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

>Old Thread

Thinking of doing a return to kamigawa custom set.
What things/mechanics/themes would you like to see return in it?
What things/mechanics/themes would you not like to return?
What new themes would you like to see?

Ninjitsu would be returning.
Hand size matters theme would not.

For those times where you can't take the game seriously *and* the other guy's an asshole.

Dunno if this card is worth it. But crabs > demons, definitely.

Hot Potato
R
Artifact
If a creature you control would deal combat damage to an opponent, you may prevent that damage If you do, that opponent gains control of Hot Potato.
At the beginning of your upkeep, flip two coins. If you lose both flips, sacrifice Hot Potato.
When you sacrifice Hot Potato, Hot Potato deals 4 damage to you.

The Kami are vitally important to Kamigawa, such that to exclude or greatly diminish their presence would be a sacrilege. Other than that, it's your return set - do as you please. Motivation has to come from within.

not bad but perhaps overly chaotic for little benefit. you could just have the burn be part of the "lose 2 flips" rather than its own ability. how common do you expect players to have artifact sac outlets?

I'd almost say make it legendary, have it come out with a semirandom number of counters (coinflips, die rolls (inb4 dice autists sing the song of their people)), and do a fuckload of damage when it goes off. Remove 1 counter per upkeep.

It's time to shit

A when clause would leave it absurdly easy to sac in response instead of requiring the sac decision before the flips, and the idiocy of my local playgroup makes me think that nested ifs would make the average player's head explode. Nested ifs would be the most elegant way, though.

Making it too swingy wouldn't be as fun. I wanted to have it roll dice and have it explode on doubles for some amount determined by the dice roll, but decided there was no good damage distribution that would keep it threatening but not game ending. Making it more likely to explode with each turn would be fun, but would also push the complexity envelope harder than I'd want on a top down design.

>all these cards with no feedback at all
This cannot stand.

90% of the time this would just be used as a cantrip, I would think.

This is pretty frigging cool. 9.5/10 very very good design, and a creative use of Converge and Miracle. I like when people do cards that feature mechanics from different sets synergizing well.

Pretty good. Neither choice is a good one really, barring certain circumstances. I have a soft spot for "opponent's choice" cards though, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Likely crap in Limited, but damn dangerous outside of it, especially with Madness and Hellbent. So... probably a pretty good design, all told. It's funny how a lot of good cards aren't that great in draft.

Decent common. Would be fine with drafting it as ramp.

My anaconda don't want none.

It feels a bit lackluster, but it's a draft common, so it's fine.

>mono blue
>life gain
user, please.

I didn't really care for the Ingest/Processor mechanic, but this works.

Enchantment Meddling Mage. The tax effect is a good tradeoff for the silence effect on the MM since this is an enchantment and harder to get rid of as a result.

I really, really like this. This is a very good design. Black doesn't do much with artifacts, but pairing it with blue this way feels oh so good.

a friend made this for a custom standard. I have a rules question about it though, if it targeted a creature that doesn't have a transformed face does it just exile the creature and not return it since it can't transform it?

711.8a If a player is instructed to put a card that isn’t a double-faced card onto the battlefield transformed, that card stays in its current zone. This is a change from previous rules.
Non double-faced cards will remain in exile.

Not bad. I'm surprised you managed to get the text that concise.

Here are some cards I made a while ago. What do you guys think?

Here is another one. I am a tad sleepy, so the wording may be off.

"number of time counters". Also needs a shuffle clause. It's an interesting enough idea, though I have no clue how balanced it is.

What purpose does this card have? I love the art.

>what if cascade had storm
You maniac.

This is pretty awesome in all contexts, user

Is that suppose to be a kami?
Why is it an enchantment?

Land bounce mechanic is awful.

Thats hilarious.
Time spiral called, and thinks your card is awesome.
How about
Exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield.
If its double-faced creature, return it to the battlefield transformed instead.

Not sure about that wording. Maybe it should be "Exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield transformed. If you can't, return it to the battlefield instead."

Were you not around during Theros? Creatures can be enchantments, they don't need a reason outside of fluff.

Maybe if it was (see below), it would be more playable.

"2, Return a land you control to its owner's hand: Chose one or both:
1. Return target creature you control to its owner hand;
2. Return target creature you don't control to its owner hand."

I love that there are people who love Kamigawa. IT was my first set and I still run a casual ninja deck.
The mechanics ruined a set dripping with flavor and due to poor perception, they wouyld probably make it a generic weeb set with too many ninjas/samurai/animu pandering.

Theros enchantment creatures either had:

>a static ability that gave effects to other permanents
>bestow (they doubled as auras)
>constellation - triggered an ability when another enchantment came into play (like "Retreat to X" cycle in Tarkir).

While you card works as an enchantment (similar to constellation), there clearly are guidelines to what should an enchantment creature be.

Aiming to keep them all enchantment like mechanically.

Also including creatures that transform into Spirits or Enchantments as a callback to flip cards.

Just not having any luck finding art that could be passed off as soratami or kitsune.

Or akki for that matter.

Reasonably it should either be "Exile target creature and return it to the battlefield. It enters the battlefield transformed."
In this way it allows you to flicker a creature you control, and also allows you to flicker planeswalker creatures and have them enter with loyalty counters on them.

Doesn't need to say face-up and nonland. If it's face-down, how can you tell it isn't a land? Also, you can ditch the Arcane subtype.

Feels like memory issues. I think I'd change it to work like an O-Ring.

Eh, not sure if being able to hit lands justifies the X cost.

You need to include a clause that leaves it with at least 1 time counter. If it doesn't have at least 1 time counter on it, it's going to stay in exile forever.

I could not think of a way to word it. So I just added a reminder text, so players would know not to have too high X.

That is a bit too much for a common in white.

Pro-artifacts dont really fit green.

Should only add 2 or UU. Blue is not supposed to be good at ramp, and definitely shouldn't be in the color-fixing business. Spirits (and other subtypes) are always capitalized.

One of the complains about Theros was that a lot of the enchantment creatures didn't feel like enchantments at all. At least with colored artifact creatures, you can stick a robot in the art and call it a day. Enchantment creatures have a much harder hill to climb.

>Blue is not supposed to be good at ramp
Blue is not supposed to ramp outside artifact-only mana. Period.

Blue has very selective mana ramp.

>Artifacts (Grand Architect, Renowned Weaponsmith, Vedalken Engineer even gives two colored mana)
>Face down creatures (Qarsi Deceiver)
>If you self-mill (Deranged Assistant)

I don't think giving 2 mana is too much, because you essentially lose one land every turn.

>Turn 2: Put Cloud Harvester in play
>Turn 3: Drop a 3rd land, tap all lands, activate CH - you have 5 mana
>Turn 4: Put the land back, tap all lands, activate CH - you have 5 mana
>Turn 5: Put the land back, tap all lands activate CH - you have 5 mana
>Turn 6: Put the land back, tap all lands activate CH - you have 5 mana

With it, you can't ramp up to more than 5, even if you have multiples.

Two mana of any colors might be too much, but Vedalken Engineer can let you put in anything from Executioner's Capsule to Reaper King, even if your deck is filled with only islands.

Why is it blue?

>Pro-artifacts dont really fit green.
I could see it in a Mirrodin-like set. Blue/red aren't really supposed to be pro-enchantments either, but they got constellation cards.

Fair enough.

i think its fine, an enchantment that gives a creature flying every turn is dope

Deceptively strong, but nowhere near worth rare.

Originally it only cared about noncreature spells before it was changed. That plus a wedge card was wanted for a URg spell slinging archetype.

>target card
It shouldn't target the card in your graveyard. Otherwise it causes issues with casting.

Thanks, a few more ideas to throw out there.

Might use the angelerium art for rares or mythics, but I still gotta locate kami like abstract art.

They should all have the same trigger at the beginning of combat on your turn.

any takers?
can be silver border or not

muraganda i presume?

Indubitably. Abandoned yet again, though I still shove cards in there when I think they fit.

Is this the proper wording for this effect? I'm not certain if it should be referencing cards or permanents since its job is to prevent reanimator and flicker effects.

Read the comprehensive rules and find out.

"permanent cards". If you want to just stop reanimation/flicker, you can use a variant of Grafdigger's Cage.

>Permanent cards can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or exile.

Thanks. I plan on keeping it that way though so it also fucks with Suspend.

Clever, I like it. I was expecting an X somewhere in the costing but this works.

Rarity feels too high.

I assume you want each revealed red/mountain card to be able to damage another target, in which case you need to reword the card (targets are chosen before additional costs are paid).

Exile a land from your hand... Get their suspended lotus bloom or ancestral vision. HNNG

>If it's face-down, how can you tell it isn't a land?
Face-down cards are automatically nonlands, since they have no characteristics, and thus no card types. However they also have no CMC. It's better for the card to specify face-up because players are retards.

>Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell that targets a creature you control, flip a coin. [...]
Otherwise you'll end up copying things like Aura spells.

Oh, and the new wording rules out triggering off itself, since you don't cast the copies.

This feels like an ability word like Landfall. I could only see it as a keyword if it had some effect in and of itself, like Amplify.

Neat. I like random things that aren't entirely a crapshoot. I agree with the other user that it should a cast trigger, rather than when-targeted.

(You)

Remade this card into a creature. It's an old witch, slowly driven mad by visions of the upcoming horror.