Discuss

Discuss
At length

I prefer gurps

are you going to try to explain why you like it or?

I won't
Entertain you

With discussion

Chronicles of Darkness lads

Prefer gurps for..?

GURPS has a shit ratio of depth vs. complexity.

There's so much fiddly bullshit and half-baked math puzzles, for so little gain.
I straight up don't understand why anyone plays it with any supplements at all, let alone multiple.

I like it because once you grok how it works on it's fundamental levels (skills, advantages, disadvantages, modifiers on said items) then it all groks the same way for multiple settings. I like to use it as my go to system because it handles friggin EVERYTHING

I dont understand the fiddly math puzzles, other than maybe determining values for user-determined limitations?

GURPS is literally a meme game

I prefer FATE

It suuuure is

>meme game

What does that even mean

I would have typed a question mark but my keyboard just up and decided it doesn't want to work anymore.

Mini Six yo

It's a game that's a meme

Isn't FATE also a meme game?

by this incredibly scientific definition, every game is a meme game faggot.

If you don't like it because other people do, just be honest about it.

Oh yeah

Check your keyboard language settings

I usually find a more specialized game that was made for a setting similar enough that I can run it with the serial numbers filed off.

If I want basketball without 3-point shots, I'm going to mod the basketball ruleset to do it.

I don't give a flying rat's ass how "infinitely modular, yet simple at its core" Calvinball is: it's not basketball, and basketball is what I want to play.

Mah afro-american fellow

This. Generic Universal is a fallacy. It's not universally applicable because the core mechanic doesn't suit everything.

Not all games want to be 3d6 compare to a specific skill. Not all games want to share a core mechanic. If you can't grasp that, you can't grasp designing a game around having a certain tone.

Take Don't Rest Your Head, and tell me if it'd be the same "players better smell like stale piss by the end" ride if you ran it in gurps. It would not be the same. For the exact same reason that "Reskinning D&D3.X" is a shit idea when you want to run something that's not D&D (see: d20 modern).
>If you're arguing that a generic universal system is a good idea, you're arguing that d20 modern was a good idea. Go on, do it, faggot.

Now, a message I agree with is "Before you reinvent the wheel to suit your gaming needs, check if someone else has left the blueprints and a 3D printer lying around".

Lots of people have probably wanted to do something similar to you. Mechanics you can steal are everywhere, both core mechanics and bolt-on fluff. I've strapped the core ideas of the unknown armies madness meters onto things, because I feel they work better than "Lose 3 of your 99 SAN" in non-lovecraftian games. I've got no problem with stealing the guts of systems, but for fuck's sake, don't be that shithead who wants their one favourite system to do everything and beats it into every mold with a peen hammer.

>For the exact same reason that "Reskinning D&D3.X" is a shit idea when you want to run something that's not D&D

I think we need to take a step back here. "Using a generic system" and "using your favorite setting-specific system outside of its setting regardless of how well that actually works" are very different things. There's nothing wrong with using generic systems. There's a lot of stuff GURPS is good for.

Generic systems are cool. They're flexible. They're useful. It's only the fringe people who get the idea "Hey, I know a setting-agnostic system, so I will never read another rulebook again" that I think are cheating themselves. *Those* are the people with the same problem as the permanent-3.5ers.

Here's how I'd change OP's advice:

>"Before you design a new system from scratch, play (or at least read) a fucking ton of systems, including ones made for a setting similar to yours and universal systems. In fact, read every goddamn RPG rulebook you can get your hands on, even the bad ones, you'll be a better designer for it."

As far as I've been able to figure, it refers to stuff that's only popular due to internet memes and not because of its actual quality.

ex. My Little Pony, American Psycho, Rick Astley.

In this case, it can certainly be said that "what's a good system for--" "GURPS" is something of a Veeky Forums meme.

GURPS is pretty good for modern operators though. The 1 second round and realistic depiction of world and characters, unlike DnD's fiddly "Figure the corners of your cell against enemy's for cover" instead of "There's an obstacle between you and him, anything concealed by obstacle can't be hit", as well as loads of options allows you to actually immerse yourself in combat.

this nigger knows what's what.

>FATE not literally a meme game

Why is creating your own system considered negative or why do you believe that people should seek an alternative first?

You're not a real GM until you make your own system/setting.

most of the time, it's better to see if someone made something more than going through the hassle of making one yourself.

Creating a system is a long process that'll require countless playtests just to iron things out to the playable level, and even professional-made systems suffer from lack of proper balancing and such, like DnD

Do you really think you can do better than WotC and in shorter timeframe?

MINI SIX REPRESENT!

>GURPS

I like palladium. I think playing gurps is like nailing your testicles to the floor.

The sort of whiskery mustache thing that dog has reminded me of this dude

I agree. People who argue that it's alot of work have never been a GM.

Its just viral shit for GURPS.

>Do you really think you can do better than WotC and in shorter timeframe?

Yes actually, I already have in fact.

Nice proofs you have there.

That's a bold claim.

Are you really this delusional or just straight up retarded?

>Creating a system is a long process that'll require countless playtests
That's only true if it's rules heavy. The more specific rules you have for specific circumstances, and the more specific and unique mechanics you introduce, the longer it takes to refine them, the more testing they need, and the more balance issues are introduced. If a system is very simple, it requires very little time to design, and often no real playtesting, because of the clear limitations.

That's why Dungeons and Dragons or GURPS have multiple books of just rules, and books upon books more of expanding mechanics and options, and even after reading them cover to cover, you often won't be certain how something will work until you've played for a few hundred hours. It's because there are such a huge number of variables, and you have to see them all working against every other variable in the game, or have at least become familiar with enough of them to judge new ones in context.

On the other hand, a system like FATE or Mini Six, which is very streamlined and breaks everything down to a handful of general rules, doesn't need that sort of experience to understand. You can read all the rules in under an hour, and if you have any general experience with tabletop games, you can easily see how things will interact and what sort of outcomes you'll have. FATE really only has three rules in the game, Skills, Stunts, and Aspects. Once you know those three rules, you can do anything you can imagine, from any other game you've ever read, just by deciding which of those three things it is. GURPS on the other hand, has reams of Advantages and Disadvantages, and each one works differently. To really know that game, you'd have be familiar with them all, and they are only a third or so of the system.

>FATE really only has three rules in the game, Skills, Stunts, and Aspects.
And yet somehow manages to bloat these three rules up with unnecessary codified terminology and multiple subsystems to the point that whole "three rules" thing is complete and utter bullshit.

>and they are only a third or so of the system
More than that, actually. The rest of the system is basically "roll 3d6 under this number you succeed."

And those "multiple books of just rules" are actually mostly advice, rules advice and, primarily, genre advice and ideas. I still refer to GURPS books for ideas even when I'm playing other games entirely because of that fact.

Any game that has rules that must be followed to understand the game requires playtesting.

I mean, it'll obviously take less time to test out three rules as opposed to 30 but you still need a degree playtesting to make sure that those three rules actually work as well in practice as they do in theory.

Even then, only having three rules to explain how EVERYTHING works requires a degree of thought so that everything is possible. You can't treat an attack made with a masterwork longsword the same as an attack made with your bare hands and you can't necessarily treat magic like fireball in the same way that you would mind control or shaping earth.

Of course, the more detail you try to cover, the more rules might need to be added in order to account for those details.

For example, a fireball deals X damage to opponents within Y ft. from the blast radius. Of course, the opponent would then have a defense to protect themselves from damage, which would require rules to say how effective, say, dodging a fireball is as opposed to soaking the damage with your armor/musles/willpower/whatever.

So from this example, we'd need at least 2-5 rules.

1)Rules for fireball
2)Rules for defense

and if you want to go into more detail.

3)Rules for dodging
4)Rules for soaking damage with armor
5)Rules for soaking damage with muscles

Of course, if you wanted to keep it simple and down to the first two rules then you'll run into an issue where the rules don't cover enough for the average game.

However, if you make the rules too heavy, then you'll run into an issue when the game no longer take player agency into account.

It's all a balancing act but a lack of rules in and of itself doesn't mean that your game can get away with a lack of playtesting.

The term meme has lost all meaning and it's infuriating. "Meme Game/Deck/setting/whatever" just means "thing I don't like" or "thing I wish wasn't popular".

I just like working on my system and setting. I think it's fun. I haven't gotten to the play testing stage yet, but for now we play various universal systems.

GURPS is shit.
BRP or fuck off

Gurps is just Rifts or Planescape minus the actual settings that make those cool. Why even bother?

Is that the Ulrich Kiesow Gesamtausgabe?

It's apparently some company's accounts book.

Apparently you can write off "binding your accounts in the form of a book 3 feet thick" as an expense of business.

Of course! Because the world needs your totally NOT! DnD "unique" rules, that "totally work better to play a sonic-pikachu-pokemon-hybrid g-g-guys"
Take your cancer and leave.