Warmachine/Hordes General

Dead waifu edition.
privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-05-13-2016-0

Warmachine/Hordes Books, No Quarter, & IKRPG
textuploader com / 5wm4h
PP Youtube (gameplay tutorials, tournament coverage, and announcements)
youtube.com/user/PrivateerPressPrime
List building at
forwardkommander.com
schlaf.github.io/whac_online/whac.html
Latest Errata
privateerpress.com/files/WM MKII Rules Errata Jan 2016.pdf
Steamroller Rules
privateerpress.com/organized-play/steamroller-tournaments
The Giant List of Podcasts and Blogs
privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?76379-Warmachine-Hordes-related-blogs-websites-and-forums
Table of contents for all NQ issues
privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?4313-Table-Of-Contents-For-All-No-Quarter-Issues
Abridged Lore
gargantuans abridged:pastebin.com/XPKMKYUc
Exigence abridged: pastebin.com/6D1fwSgv
devastation abridged: pastebin.com/KxkzfnXj

Lexicanum Iron Kingdoms Lore wiki:
warmachine.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10138678
privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-04-20-2016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what factions do you play, not just own but actually play?

strawpoll.me/10138678

Bell of Lost Souls teaser for those who haven't seen it. Not sure if it's a beast or an old weird trolllkin.

What do the different arguses do?

Why is the Gorax in the new battlebox?

What faction does medium based infantry best?

The answers to all your questions are going to change in less than a month.

I'm guessing weird old trollkin.

Anyone have the new Wild Adventure IKRPG supplement?

Why is the thread so dead?

Is everyone else out actually playing on a Friday night? How dare they not be salty in the general.

Well Brennos is ready for shelf duity. Unbased for now since one of my friends makes senic resin bases

You put shit in your shelf upside down?

Probably held his phone the wrong way and didn't bother rotating the picture before posting.

suɐilɐɹʇsnɐ uɯɐppoƃ

Too busy posting my Skorne on ebay.

Yeap. Well, I mean after years of posting properly, you think I'd know how to hold my phone by now.

Man you do realise we are not australians, amright?
Lolwhy. You havent seen whats gonna change in faction yet.

Seconding the old trollkin. Looks to smart to be a derpy troll beast.

>Lolwhy. You havent seen whats gonna change in faction yet.
skorne is dead i tell you dead!

Based on spoilers so far who does everyone think will be the most powerful castor in mk3 for their faction/why.

I'll go first
>Convergence:
>Syntherion
Because even with the nerf to synergy, new induction with heavy vector spam looks amazing

Lucant still looks really good.

Mother looks a lot better as well, honestly, with the buff to gunlines.

Axis and Aurora are the ones to wonder about.

Not dead, but necrotic in bits. The nerf bat was swung and it hit a bit more than it was aimed at. They meant to kill Fist deader than dead and I think they overdid it. (medium base boxes, cataphract defense, and faction anti-range toolkit- all three at once to address the one problem of a table full of cataphracts at the end of turn three, which was deemed to be an important problem).

It's that last one (ranged defense tech); the thing is there is no point being immoderate in anti-range defense techs. If they can get you at all, they skew hard and table you. If they can't get you you barely lose a model- there's no middle ground in my experience (experience being running skorne infantry spam with minimal techs to maximize bodies, and skorne infantry spam with as much ranged defense tech as can fit, and all points in between).

There is just no middle ground- they either kill everybody at range or kill practically nobody at range. The graph is damn near a vertical line separating ~0% and 100%)

They can force us to be moderate in ranged defense but nothing I've seen so far suggests they're doing anything to keep ranged attack spam off the table. The opposite, in fact.

High pow boostable ranged attacks are going to be far more prevalent just with the power up and ROF changes, those two rules alone mean you'll be seeing people field a stronger ranged game. And anti-ranged tech has been drastically cut. Better hope terrain changes make up for it.

They're changing the way terrain works in a core, fundamental way. They got rid of camouflage because they said pathfinder is serving the same purpose now, so clearly terrain is handled differently and they're holding back on telling us because, funzies I guess? They want to spoil rules and then go "Look at you peasants fighting over rules, why only we truly know the full picture! How dare you complain?" because of core rule changes that are extremely relevant to put any of the changes into context. Look at how skorne did a complete 180 on the ferox after the back strike rule was mentioned in an off-hand forum post.

Krea wasn't about killing Fist or Skorne anti infantry tech.

ALL common def/armor buffs have been hit, across the factions.

Well, I imagine krea wasn't about killing Fist, yeah. Fist can't take Kreas. Fist can only take heavy beasts.

That's kinda the funny thing about a lot of the way people complain, too.

You get all this gnashing of teeth like "look at how strong fist was in mk2! Cetrati were 16/24 vs shooting with a krea and d-ward!"

And it just goes to show that those are people who never played against fist, because they can't take a krea. It's just stupid. They're people with 0 game experience telling me how my faction is broken.

If Sevvy1 keeps Eye unchanged, you can take three of the new Redeemers on him and two on Tristan, fully fuel them and upkeep Sevvys spells, aim and put out 15 pow 15's boosted to hit or damage at rat 4, if they don't lose Inaccurate. Rat 6 if the target gets hit by a Reckoner. Or just boost your pow 9 blast damage for days. Ranged attacks are getting way more powerful in this edition.

>There is just no middle ground- they either kill everybody at range or kill practically nobody at range. The graph is damn near a vertical line separating ~0% and 100%)

As a regular Sloan player that's nonsense. The difference between 'Has some ranged defense', 'has ALL the ranged defense' and 'Has nothing' is kinda huge.

Man, I am looking forward to her buffs. Her and my Hunters are very happy this edition so far.

I like Axis but I'm really not sure what will be happening to him. +1 Arm, 1" reach, feat cancels charges and Iron Aggression got reduced to 2 cost. So he can cycle IA easily now while keeping Furious Charge or whatever upkept and still have enough juice to cast one of his other spells.

It's a buff for sure, but we have 0 clue what the new meta is going to be like. Axis only boosts damage for one turn and has 0 defense tech. Maybe in MKIII he'll only need a Conservator or two to remain viable but that doesn't solve his big MKII issue: his tier was viable DESPITE him, not because of him. Pretty much the opposite of Syntherion.

As for Aurora, well. She's a speedy "assassin" with no recursion or hitting power in a game all about recursion and hitting power. What she really needs is a Scenario that will make her mobility worthwhile IMO.

Axis was meant to be the scenario caster of Convergence if you look at his spell list. Lot of ways to move shit around.

Honestly, I think each of the warcasters were designed with a specific sort of technical field in mind.

Axis is physics, which is why he has all the movement shit in his kit.

Syntherion is an Engineer for obvious reasons.

Mother is a pure mathematician, with her feat being purely about numbers and having the most access to straight up damage effects no matter what.

Lucant is meant to be a mechanic, with his defensive kit and support for more grindy situations.

Aurora plays into some misunderstood idea of Chaos Theory junk, with her obvious break from the rest of the faction, her unpredictable angles of approach, and her crazy feat(that's only going to get crazier if it stays as is, think about flying half your army across the enemy lines with flight and refuge).

The last of the daily buff prayers.

Not just for you, Driller-sama, but for all Rhulic heavies, now and forever.

Hey, for someone who hasn't been following these very closely (work) has there been spoilers for PoM? Anything significant to note?

Because Soles is terrible at Previews.

We got so much of it, but have so little to talk about because nothing he's written means anything or just creates depression.

I already feel annoyed at Troll insider and Convergence one, I really fucking hope he doesn't write the Khador one. It truly is amazing how fast a hype can die down because of a single man.

The only thing we've really seen is that Medium base infantry went to 5 wounds and choir buff went to just +2 damage.

I feel like the people excited for Aerogenesis forget that it's not Ghostly. If you try to fly over a wall of infantry, you're gonna get stabbed.

Too bad no levitating Warjacks. Hell, I'm trying to figure out how exactly this spell works from a fluff perspective. Does she just chuck her infantry at people with magic? I really don't imagine any of the heavy infantry being graceful fliers.

If her feat still gives refuge, then you ignore frees trikes during the movement.

Remember that at it's core, Warmahordes is a D&D setting. She could just be casting a mass version of fly.

>Hell, I'm trying to figure out how exactly this spell works from a fluff perspective.

she breaks out the redbull

So not the major insider yet. Yeah, I saw about choir and boxes, but without seeing what else happens that's not much to go on. With this being the "rise of the jacks" edition, I need to know what buffs I'm doling out.

In general, most factions have been losing both easy damage buffs and easy defensive buffs. Rumors go that Def Ward is getting changed, while we've already seen several buffs become more limited or simply removed from the game.

You misinterpreted; how much defense doesn't signify other than "is the defense you have saturated".

Yea, I'm loving the idea of her just scattering her entire army into the enemy, just fucking with them hardcore.

Like, Eradicators murder their front line and then just fly into their back line, forcing them to turn around if they want to get anything done.

I agree completely, and I really want aurora to be good in mk3 because I love her and the clockwork angels aesthetically. I just feel like she isn't playable now because she is designed to be an "assasin" caster but just doesn't do enough damage. If there was an easier way to move the angels into the enemy caster to get the flanking bonus I think she would be viable, but right now it's just too easy to play against her.

I think she's losing her assassination, honestly. The new Refuge reading is end of activation, so unless her feat goes unique in terms of what it does, she won't be able to fly over and then kill them like before.

At the same time, if she loses Transference and gains a real spell, she might have some insane speed concepts in her kit, especially given the new terrain rules and the fact that Pathfinder might be going more limited.

Eradicators aren't murdering anything with pow 12

I think the devs said there's no more real changes for CoC beyond Lucant's retooling.

They're good enough to kill most jamming infantry, especially high DEF stuff.

Boosted POW12s kills ARM21 infantry after all, and they only need one kill to trigger the Refuge movement.

No, they're just said that they changed the least. No word on what that exactly means.

Transference is just a bad spell on her though. It's slightly better in Mk3 with the change to camp, but there's still the fact that with 2 upkeeps and Aero, she's only going to have 2 focus left on any given turn.

True, she could just become a mobility castor that plays around objectives well. And even with refuge most vectors dont really have the speed to make good use out of it, so her feat will be heavily reliant on how good angels/erradicators are. But besides that, does the faction really need 2 objective casters? Axis basically does the same thing, unless they are changing him entirely to be some attrition caster.

You only need to hit to trigger refuge. Kill doesn't matter that's sprint.

Aurora's less about pure scenario game and more about being able to alpha twice, I think. Her change is most certainly going to be about that whole thing as well, she's going to be able to use her feat to position her army in the worst spots for the other army to deal with. She can jam shooting lists out, she can back up or get into weird angles against melee lists, she's fast enough to put the breaks on scenario casters.

Her one major issue, being pillowfisted, seems to be getting mitigated by the fact that armor seems to generally be going down.

>all this talk of MK3 = RANGED EDITION
>I've bought nothing but melee Ret models
Surely if I throw enough swordsmen at a gunline one or two of them will make it into charge range

Personally Im waiting for info on Irusk as his feats might have just gotten flat out silly in the new edition though I think he might be getting some serious tweaks as well.

cheel, they buffed sentinels, infiltrators, and halberds + chimera + gorgon got made cheaper, so Thyron is a happy melee chappy.

Do we have spoilers for the new casters yet?

Is it wrong to pose a Circle warlock on all fours and an argus with a clear erection behind her?

In the next NQ. Not sure when, probably soon.

It seems like all their warjacks are getting a point reduction in general. The Manticore must be either fifteen or fourteen points (which works out as less than before) and Discordia, which was 10pts (the equivalent of 20 in mkiii) is seventeen or eighteen now.

So you can expect him to be able to run larger battlegroups of much more efficient warjacks. I can imagine him running Imperatus + Moros as standard now.

May 25th is next NQ, unless digital gets leaked a couple days early.

It's worth noting too that Assail, combined with Power Up and three Arcanists, is now extremely good at making 'jacks efficient.

Thyron's generally only going to have two spells upkept at once. Onslaught is sort of a corner case in most situations. Storm Rager on himself/Skeryth and Assail on a nice 'jack gives him a good amount of focus left over to pump a healthy battlegroup up with.

I can see a lot of people playing him really 'jack heavy in mkiii. Assuming he's one of the frontline casters getting an ARM boost, keeping Storm Rager on him should keep him pretty safe (and turn him into a murder cyclone) while he boosts his 'jacks.

>skorne is bread i tell you bread!

That's just the internet claiming nonsense based on the spoilers so far. The designers have always hated gunlines because they allow players to just sit 12" apart from each other and just shoot without much maneuvering. I'm sure it won't be such a big deal.

It looks more like blasts have got a buff which was supposed to counter infantry spam in the first place.

You're going to see more AOE jacks and beasts dropping templates on smaller clumps of infantry. Units immune to AOEs will be much more playable since blasts will no longer be hitting 2-3 models but 3-4 on average.

I dont think its nonsense with the addition of premeasuring and the devs coming out and saying 'its the year of the gun mage'

I think it's a "in theory" vs. "in practice" issue.

People hear about how or watch a battle report with someone getting stomped into the ground by Fist and then take a second to compare the Skorne models and animi to the ones they use or have faced in other brick lists. Since something like 90% of all tier lists have "all non-character warbeasts" they don't think (or it doesn't register) to actually see what animi are on light beasts.

Premeasuring does nothing to help gunlines, that's a myth. You can just as easily use it to sit .1" outside their gun range and laugh at them, and with gun ranges short enough that any given SPD6 Reach dude can run to engage your longest-range non-artillery gun, and scenarios forcing you to hold real estate in the center or lose, they'll never dominate the game.

That's not true.

If I have 15" range and you have 14" range, I can pre-measure to be exactly at that 15" line. That means you can always be at the perfect distance to avoid a counter attack.

The better argument is that Warmachine already HAD pre measuring for any player worth a damn. Control areas and command rangers gave you excuses to measure distances which were 95% of the time what you needed to measure any way. It just skips the middle man and lets you measure shit directly now.

If they've always hated gunlines, why on earth is Sloan a thing?

I mean, 'Gunline' is her theme.

Because it's one 'caster.

PP have never tried to stop gunlines from ever being a thing. They've just tried to discourage them from always being a thing.

That's operating under the assumption that gun range is a hard no-go zone that kills you if you enter, which it isn't unless your list sucks. RAT6 POW10 popguns can get perfect range all they want, they aren't killing everything coming at them.

Her thing is combined-arms warjacks, not gunline.

A "gunline" in this context is a strategy where you just stand there, fire guns, and remove the opponent's entire army from the table. By the nature of the game this doesn't work, because certain things will always be incredibly resistant to shooting, and if you don't hold space in the center of the table you lose on scenario.

It doesn't have to be a no go zone to make you ineffective. If I kill half your unit it's not going to fuck up my stuff in any way near the same way as a full unit will. Even if you reach my gunline with 2-3 models I will have a solo or light jack kill them and proceed to dismantle another unit.

It's not about an area being a no go zone, it's above trading resources and if I don't get to take yours while you get to take mine then I will lose.

That's nice talk, but the realities of the game make that strategy ineffective. None of that is looking to change, unless they're bumping standard gun POW up 2 points in Mk3 and are just being really secretive about it.

Half a unit of melee troops can absolutely fuck up a ranged unit.

And sure, you can un-jam it if you've got enough stuff, but you probably won't because there will be other units or warjacks/beasts getting ready to fuck your juicy boipussy. That's why gunlines didn't work in Mk2, melee units closed the distance too fast, you couldn't take enough guns to kill enough things and still unjam yourself.

All the gun line has to do is kill the 3 models on the frontline everyturn. Most guns out range the typical infantry charge at 10"

Thats what running is for, you would rather take some pow 7s than pow 12s.

Every faction has 1, if not 2 or 3 decent infantry that can run for 10", and the only infantry that can run for 10" is 4" speed non-reach infantry with no kind of speed buff- which is ridiculously rare... does it even exist?

Meme 'o wars?

They all have reach except for Bombardiers who have range 10 aoe3 guns themselves.

It's gonna be nice seeing the Cryx players' reactions to Agathia.

>she used a teleport in the story so she must have Teleport!

As a memenoth player Holy Zealots come to mine, hym, feat, run
>TrollFace.Jpg

I'm not really looking forward to her at all, I just want to know what terminus, gaspies 2 &3, Denny3 and scaverous do

I just want more info on Abusedchild McBurnschools.

Seether

Inflictor

Bane Witch Agathia

Does anyone have any clue when the Menoth Insider will be? I'm getting anxious over here in the dark.

The driller doesn't have to get better, the earthbreaker just has to get worse.

Does anyone have any tips for a new player. I have experience with war hammer (40k and fantasy) and was wondering what the major differences are between warmahordes and war hammer as well as the mainplaystyles of each army.

none...

it is

Correction, thor needs to be worse. Tune up is the real monster here.

Wait a month and we will tell you

The rules are much cleaner here than in 40k, that's the first thing that you'll probably realize.

Each player has a full uninterrupted turn, and each unit/model activates individually to do all of it's movement and combat uninterrupted.

Tips for play are on shaky ground for the moment (new edition launches in about 1 month) but in general resource management and positioning are key, screening your warnoun is super important, and getting charged will bust your beast/jack.

Warmachine is about resource management and learning where and how to spend focus.

Hordes is about risk management and learning where to place beasts and solos to manage that risk (generally seen as more viable/easier).

Do you have any specific questions?

So is there any word on what tier lists are going to look like? I ask because fool that I am I have the full trencher wad, defender, etc. for Bad Seeds and really would prefer to be able to play it in the future...

All we know now is that Tier Lists wont be so much tied to individual casters and will make more use of Keywords to determine what is and is not allowed.

Also it seems that FA increases through tier will be much rarer or completely gone.

That said trenchers are supposed to be getting good again.

Yeah. My case I'm more worried that Magnus isn't going to be able to hire out-of-faction stuff anymore and I'll have a pile of models I can't use.
As a merc player in general it'll be interesting (ha) to see how the new tier stuff shakes out, seeing as mercs generally do more stuff with theirs.

>So is there any word on what tier lists are going to look like?

Theme lists will now work more like Merc Contracts. They'll be based more around types of models (like trenchers, or storm blades, etc.) and won't be tied to any single caster.

why would you not just use the new gorax

>trenchers are supposed to be getting good again.
HYPE

They've already spoiled their rules.
privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-04-20-2016

Magnus is almost certainly picking up the ability to work for Cyngar, based on upcoming fluff.