/bgg/ board game general

Mashup edition
old thread pastebin: pastebin.com/w0jkangT
>what have you played since last general?
>what game are you craving, yet responsibly holding off on purchasing?
>which two games would you like to see mashed up into one?
>what's your favorite fan variant?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/i-have-suicidal-depression-and-board-games-saved-my-life/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So I played Cosmic Encounter with one of the designers on TTS tonight. He said that they're designing a CE standalone game for 2 players.

How does /bgg/ feel about that? I think it sounds neat

Age of Empires III today. Fucking fantastic worker placement. I played orange/Holland and went full makemoney and getgoods. I only went to civilize in order to get trade goods and nobody really targeted the merchant ships nor warfare, and I ended up winning by a landslide with 110VP. In the final round I was robbed the capital building that would've given me 1VP per $5 at the end, which would've added 25VP had I gotten it.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis where one player has no explorers but controls the sea creatures.

How do you do a chaotic multiplayer game of ganging up on one another with only two players?

I didn't really question it. Obviously it would feel and play very differently but I'm sure there's something else worthwhile you could do with all those alien powers

Well CE is shit and this sounds shit too, so I guess it's exactly par for the course.

tfw haven't had time to play

Successors (ultra expensive 2nd hand copy)
Welcome to Centerville (P500)
Silent Victory
Hands in the Sea
Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain (P500)
Rommel in the Desert
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan (P500)
Grand Prix (P500)
Comanchería (P500)

Given the experiences I've had with CE I'd say this user is pretty much on the mark.

ded thred ded hobby

>>what game are you craving, yet responsibly holding off on purchasing?

I've got like $400+ worth of stuff on my CSI wish list. But I don't have a huge need for more games at the moment so I'm holding off.

C3I Issue #27 with Soviet Dawn

It's a solo game, but I'm really holding my horses on that one.

In wargames category - WBC Historical Variant for Paths of Glory.
Other than that, a small rule change in Memoir '44, where artillery guns are hit on a Grenade AND on a Flag.

anons, what do you think about Blood Rage?

Brothers in town and I've had a week off work so we've had 4 game nights and played the following:

Coup
Pandemic
Love letter
Catacombs
Forbidden Stars
The resistance: Avalon
spyfall
Cosmic encounter
ONUW
Lords of Waterdeep
King of New York
Fury of Dracula
Sheriff of Nottingham
And lots of netrunner

It's been a wild ride.

Time for another turn of the hype wheel. Haven't read the up-to-date rules yet but after watching the run-through video I really can't wait. Especially the 'modifying your exo-suits' expansion. Between this and Scythe I'm looking forward to getting out the paintbrush again.

It makes me wanna dress in furs, grab a maul and praise Wotan.

I bought Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and found out that apparently some of the text in Case 3 is messed up and there was some errata made for it. I don't want to dig too far and spoil the game for myself, but are there more issues with any of the other cases?

There's a few, but I haven't had issues with it so far, still managed to figure out case 3 without errata eventually. Just knowing that some typos might exist is enough to get you past most of the problems I've seen.

I don't know but the guy I know who bought it was expecting something more "dense" in the gameplay department

So is the hypothesis "the more elaborate the minis are, the more simplistic the gameplay will be" true?

at least that's the impression the dude I play with got from Bloodrage. we still need to put our shit together and buy a box of Decent 2nd to see how it's.

I played Descent 2nd ED and it was okay I guess. As somebody summed it up "Dungeon Crawl for those that don't want to play a tabletop RPG". Still, we had fun times with friends. Moreover, FFG announced an app for Descent, so no more problem with "who's going to DM this time".

How did you enjoy the game overall? My wife is really excited since she loves mystery novels so playing detective suits her

We've only done about half the cases, but my wife is of similar mind to yours, and it's been a great game for quiet at-home date nights or even playing out at dinner with other couples.

>no more problem with "who's going to DM this time".

Except why wouldn't you want to play as the overlord. Best part of the game, especially when you get to mess around with lieutenant decks.

Well, last time I was the overlord and I had to explain the rules, even though I didn't have the time to read them properly, because it's not my game.

Maybe if my group tries again, but this time giving me time to prepare, then it would be better.

Anyone pick up some games with the CSI flash sale over the last 2 days? Or just anything you picked up you're excited about?

Mostly Netrunner, been winning over a good bit of my friends into it, so it's all good. I do miss playing regular board games though, if all plans work out next week I'll be looking at a whole day of board games.

Almost every game I see being sold in this one second hand games group I'm in. No income sucks.

Fairly new, so I can't think of one. Maybe Castles of Mad King Ludwig + Betrayal?

Haven't played with enough variants to have one, though solo variants are always nice.

Huh, played it for the first time today.

I... dunno. Something is missing. Maybet too much luck with the cards, maybe if you fuck up once you don't get any more chance... I dunno, would have to replay.

Thematically is very weak, but that's not really a problem with me.

So Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage is supposedly getting a reprint this year, and will include the Hamilcar expansion. Anyone here played it? Something to get hype about?

It did seem really kind of thin to me.

But it's a surprisingly social game.

Ho-Lee Sheeit

>always felt like Waterdeep was missing something
>mfw playing corruption expansion

So much better

Also Fury of Dracula is great

Nothing. Meant to go to a meetup today, but then I remembered I had other commitments. I think there's something on Monday, but I'll have to check
Corto - it'll cost at least £32, and I'm not sure I can justify it on a game everyone says is pretty good at best.
I don't think much of board game mashups - they just lead to shit like Munchkin Gloom.
I love that there's a TTR map of The Isle of Sodor

Bottom of the 9th came in the mail on Thursday and holy crap is it fun.

Anyone else here play Bot9?

Also, sadly Amazon shipped me strat-o-matic pro football instead of baseball so I can't play som yet.

I really enjoy the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books. Has anyone here played the Lankhmar war game, and if so, is it any good? Worth tracking down a copy?

Any recommended dungeon crawl games that capture the feel of low-level old school D&D, where you were hardier than the average person, but not by all that much, more of a realistic badass than fantasy superman?

Nothing. Meetup tomorrow, expecting AGoT.
Entire wishlist on hold, already reached my monthly cap.
Agree with most mashups result in abominations.
Shattered Ascension. Fans have given TI3 so much love, it needs to be worked into TI4

Onitama's pretty interesting, though I think it might benefit from an extra middle card to choose from.

Back from my first game of TI3. 6 players
>be mentak
>have best start up planet in front of me
>charge straight to mecatol with big ass fleet
>political card gets drawn for artifact, 50% chance mecatol blows up
>there goes six ships in my fleet
>xxacha sneaks through asteroid field and steals my home planet for the win w/ secret objective
It was so hilarious I couldn't feasibly be mad. Good game. Would play again in like two months.

Also my birthday is tomorrow and I have that big box board game itch again. Should I ask for Freedom or Eldritch Horror?

Would it be possible to put a list of currently running kickstarters in the OP?
I'm not in the loop about these things and the only way I find out is when people make passing mentions about them.
I'm sure other people would appreciate it too.

>played
Dominion- neat setup with lots of attacks, reactions and trashers (Cornucopia and Dark Ages) Very low final scores, no idea how the guy who won scrapped together the golds for two provinces
Tanto Cuore Oktoberfest- yes we played both deckbuilders in the same night. I won because my friends didn't bother trying to get beer cards and we all got pretty much the same maid cards which ended the game quickly
New York 1901- my one friend misinterpreted a rule and got pissed, the other just had no idea how to strategize. I won handily even though they weren't really behind on buildings. Very surprised that this supposedly family-weight game was too thinky for them
Pandemic- meh we got lucky at the end. My one friend alpha-gamed a lot which got the other ones a little peeved. Meh
Innovation- classic "get Monument through Masonry, snowball into four more achievements, stall out, finally find a decent card, then score just enough to eek out a sixth achievement" win. Dying for the deluxe edition
Cosmic Encounter- I was Visionary (it was never relevant). We had a Schizoid, who triggered the solo win for someone else by having three colonies and successfully making a deal.
>craving but not buying
Fury of Dracula
Seafall
It's fine. I'm lukewarm on it but I see why it's a cool design. I'm a little turned off by the drafting
Cooled off on this. I think the way anomalies/paradoxes are handled is weak.
Fuck. I did and then immediately put it out of my mind until now. Bohnanza, Tales of the Arabian Nights, The King Is Dead, Dominion: Empires preorder (I am literally Donald X's bitch)
Freedom: The Underground Railroad? I don't personally like Eldritch Horror but I think Freedom is mostly for those with a personal/educational interest in the theme. It looks alright but Eldritch Horror has wider appeal

Anybody in here bought/backed Spheres of Influence? Looks like really REALLY solid alternative to Risk, but does it really play only 2 hours and don't get tedious quickly?

I think I'm gonna wait on this one. I was all aboard the hype train at first, but I think I'll see how the third or fourth printing reviews are before dumping $60+ into it. I do have to admit, the exo-suit minis are genius.

Anyone else super hyped for Council of Four? Any news on when it should hit North America?

>playan
played a 2P session of Shadows of Malice yesterday, game is ridiculously fun but being able to respawn infinitely felt a bit too easy to eventually grind it out when shadows spawn with a single hit point, might have to bump their hit points up to two so that the threat of Xulthul appearing is legitimate or impose a respawn limit. would love to get a 6-8P session happening

>responsible craving
Space Empires: 4X, gonna wait for the reprint

>fan variant
only fan variant I've played to date is solo Merchants & Marauders, would love to get some Epic Nightfall and Epic Thunderstone action happening at some point. the variant for FFG Wiz-War where you play all of the cards except for counterspells sounds like it'd be a crazy frenzy

It's alright, one of those games that are better than the sum of its parts.

Nothing cooler than having a small army under Hannibal messing around in Italy, trying to break Rome apart, waiting for reinforcements

Naught
TI3 I guess, I just know I'll never get to play it. But craving is a bit of a strong word to be honest. If I really crave something, I buy it.
Was going to say something like "Camp Grizzly" & "Scotland Yard" but "Last Friday" is coming out this year. Got me covered.
Epic thunderstone is fun. I made a variant based on it for Resident Evil.

Btw I posted it here a few weeks ago. user who asked for it, did you try ?

I agree it's a terrible game, but the art is so damn good. I bought all the expansions for the artwork and the pretty pieces.

I regret nothing

Lots of games that are language-dependant and are not (yet) released in my native language. I just would not be able to put them on the table with most of my players.

Not really a mash-up, but would really like a Battlestar Galactica Legacy

Can't think of one I really like right now.

>Last Friday
>google it
>one of the characters is a lovably goofy fat party animal
I like that this exists

There is a rule in Twilight Imperium: if you can blow up Mecatol Rex then you must try. I'm glad to see that you followed that rule.

Munchkin and Cards against humanity. A basic night of gaming with friends. We just got an expansion for each of them, so many new laughs were had.

Dominion. A friend of mine introduced me and I'm hooked. It's my first deck building game and I really enjoy it.

One thing that skews my favor is the fact that my buddy had three expansions for the game. But best of all, he put every last card into penny selves, has separate baggies for each card type, and baggies for every game mechanic.
Now, Dominion is one Third shuffling so the sleeves are muy bueno. And to randomizing the Kingdom we just shake the bag that holds everything and grab at random. It made for some quick and awesome games.

I'd like to see some game like settlers of catan mixed with Lego. I want to make my kingdom.

My friends and I play a version of Survive! Escape from Atlantis where the players are Angry gods looking to save our worshipers ad kill the rest as Atlantis sinks. None of the rules change but the game is 10 times more hilarious

Is this what normies sound like? Am I being rused?

Hey Steev, you once posted some variant or something for Twilight Imperium. I think it was a 2 player variant maybe, could you please post it here?

I've just shilled the shattered ascention fan update / variant, wich I have a shameless hard-on for, and advised people to try and keep playercount to 4 or lower and galaxy sizes in the 2-2.5 ring size to help games move faster and more aggressive.

Could any of you suggest me any decent horror themed games (cthulhu games from FFG don't count). It would be perfect if the game would have a lot of negative interaction. Oh, and no deck building/card games please.

Thank you

Mall/City of Horror
Fury of Dracula

You took your first ride on the ruse cruise.

What is so rusing about that post? Maybe I'm just a filthy normie.

Catan mixed with Lego made it obvious you were trolling. Until then it was subtle.

That wasn't me. I brought up Bottom of the 9th but no one responded to it, I guess I'm th only one here who plays that game. Shame, it's fun (if you like baseball at least).

its "okay" but over-rated. Drafting 6 cards barely seems like drafting to me in a 4 player game. Whether or not you build a good combo is more luck than skill, and there's just not enough interesting things going on.

I'd rather play Cthulhu Wars. And I'd probably rather play CitOW too, even though I never have.

Why is /bgg/ always dead? Same for le leddit for board games.

Not 'dead', just slow.
Reeeeeeeeeally slow

Because while people will buy tons of board games, most will only really cycle through about 3-5 games for regular play.

Why don't we all play games online instead together?

What would you suggest?

I'd be game, but your have to be patient. I don't know as many games as I'd like and I do not know how to use TTS too well.

There are tons of free sites out there, like Board Game Arena, Board Game Core (for the big splotter games), and some others. You could just try to search for a game you want to play and see if it's implemented free online somewhere. BGA is pretty good and has a lot of popular classics.

Also, Yucata, Boiteajeux, Brettspielwelt and Tabletopia

Who has played Food Chain Magnate? It's on boardgamecore but that site is practically dead. I really want to try it, but I don't want to pay $100+ and then have no one to play with anyway.

Because when it's really busy it's because people are getting mad at something stupid like me.

Fury of Dracula

Lets talk about Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower.

Yeeeeeaaaaaah, let's not. Fuck GW and their Age of Shitmar moneygrub. I hope it crashes and burns.

salty?

Looks like a solid game. Anyone here had a chance to have a playthrough?

Good horror-ish games I like (minus Eldritch Horror per your stipulations)
Mansions of Madness (1vall game)
Betrayal at the House on the Hill (co-op spooky house exploration that turns into a 1vall game)
Dark Moon (The Thing styled hidden traitor game, my opinion on this is a little more mixed)

It is finished.

All things Thunderstone: Advance. Sleeved, sorted, and in just three titanicly heavy boxes.

On another note, why are inserts so invariably shit? Sure there's a few diamonds here and there, but 90% of inserts are just absolute shit, especially FFG/ANA's iconic "great plateau". So much wasted space and no room for a reasonable amount of expansion material or any customized bits. Most of the time once you unpack the game you'll never be able to get it to fit, and if you do shit will everywhere once you turn the box.

Do you guys think major publishers will ever care about reasonable insert design? Or are we going to be stuck buying truckloads of foamcore and poster board for the rest of our lives?

Got this last week and we can't stop playing it. Such a fun game. We played it with 2, 4, 5 and 6 players and it's always great. Really tense and exciting to see how the fire is gonna spread and how we're gonna work together.

What are your thoughts on Flash Point and how do you like the expansions?

I own it, and played it maybe 4 or 5 times. I don't think I'll bring it out again. Its fun, but its incredibly simple (advanced rules) and every game is pretty much the same.

Theres just not much game there.

Anyone backed Xenoshyft Dreadmire?

Does anyone else have to deal with 'I got it' players? By that I mean players who want to do the exciting or interesting things every time and very rarely share those opportunities with other players on their team, even if it would be more advantageous for others to do them.

If there's a treasure chest on the board he'll go for it even if someone else needs the equipment or is closer. If there's a cool monster on the board he'll attack it even if he's wasting his time or should be dealing with other threats. It extends to PnP games as well. Spooky magical item that is clearly sinister and evil? His 'skeptical of magicians cleric' will be the first to rush altar to put it on.

He can be curbed with several minutes of discussion on to how he could be throwing the game if he rushes for that 'cool' objective (which has happened several times in the past) but it can be a pain when it comes up.

Should I just shun him or just not play those sort of games that have big shiny beacons with him?

>what have you played since last general
Cthulhu Wars. It was so much fun. I immediately want to buy all the faction expansions but I just dropped a 100$ on the base game so I'm probably not going to buy them for quite a while.

My first thought when you said, "I got it" players were those people who aren't big gamers and repeatedly spout this while you try to explain even the simplest rules to them. Sure, you shouldn't waste your time reading the whole rulebook, but this often comes from people who ask you for an explanation of how to play in the first place. It's even worse when someone says, "Oh how do you play?" and within a few seconds they're replying to texts on their phone.

"Oh sorry how does it work again?"

Guess I turned your post into my own rant, but I do have a few people like you described who will purposely ignore the rules/objectives of the game just to do whatever they think sounds more fun. My biggest gripe: playing Betrayal at House on the Hill with bloodthirsty people who will just start attacking others regardless of the situation because it's more "fun."

Played Carcassone for the first time recently, I found it very enjoy
able. Now looking to get the Talisman expansion.

Ask for Eldritch Horror and the Forsaken Lore expansion. So much replayability.
(And then if you're like me and get all the expansions, and printed the 5 fanmade AOs and 4 sideboards, it has absolute infinite replayability.

I looked at some stuff from my CSI wish list, but then decided to do the 'responsible adult' thing and didn't actually order anything. It was tempting though.

While I'm not 'butt-hurt' about AoS - I'm largely done supporting GW too. 40K fan for decades, but with the 'Le-Trainwreck' that has been 5th - 7th edition 40K, I can feel for the WFB players that got shafted by GW and AoS. I haven't added anything to my 40K collection in several years, and only occasionally snag something for Necromunda if it catches my eye. GW is its own worst enemy in terms of rules writing, customer service, pricing, and public relations in general. It's a good thing the UK doesn't allow general fire-arms ownership. GW management wouldn't have any toes left.

>All things Thunderstone: Advance. Sleeved, sorted, and in just three titanicly heavy boxes.

Heh, that's impressive! And I have to smile as my Xenoshyft box is stupid heavy as well. As for well designed interiors for game boxes - there are a few out there.

The expansions add a lot.

I'm a big fan of Academy Games. Owned 1775 for a while and Fief too but only played once, but I love just everything they make. Planning on picking up a CoH game when those come out.

EH looks real good but I think I'll hold off for the time being. Just not sure if it's quite the sort of thing I'm interested in. I'll probably try to play it first.

I'm impressed, good job user!

I love the insert for the Valley Games reprint of Titan, and I still have the inserts for Nightfall, Galaxy Defenders (only because I don't have expansions yet), Fate of Indines and a few microgames. Everything else has been thrown away, which is a shame because I'd love to see more good inserts but I know it's never going to happen.

What is the fast board game discussion on the internet?

arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/i-have-suicidal-depression-and-board-games-saved-my-life/

I'm glad he found something he could enjoy that helped him deal with his depression.

Today was the opening of event registration for Gencon, thousands upon thousands of nerds spent the last week looking at spreadsheet catalogs to try and figure out what to add to their wishlist, and then hours today trying to fix things when plans A-F went tits up.

Maybe my favorite co-op to pull out because of how easily you can scale it with player count/difficulty, but the base game can get repetitive if you know how certain roles interact at various player counts. Extreme Danger and Dangerous Waters are both really good for keeping it fresh, but I've been eyeing the airplane map from Honor & Duty. Can't decide if I need it, or Greedy Greedy Goblins more this month.

Anyone here support this kickstarter (well for an expansion) other than me?

>Gencon

Don't grasp at straws. All board game forums are dead. People just don't care about them as much as other things.

(You)

Not grasping at any straws, I do a reasonable amount of posting here and on other sites, the last thing I remember posting anything about was Cajon bags, and that was maybe 10 minutes while on the phone with a client and taking notes instead of working on my vacation schedule.

Speaking of, can the user who bought one get a picture up of what Kemet looks like in that sucker? I know it won't fit a coffin box, but I wanna know what the real estate looks like with something other than TtR and Euro boxes.

Tell me a site that is faster than /bgg/ has been today.

Stop me from late pledging to Arcadia Quest bros... already doing it for Xenoshyft. I also have dungeon crawling enough with Descent, but it attracts me a lot.