How does Veeky Forums feel about furry races?

How does Veeky Forums feel about furry races?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Liked when portrayed well (mouseguard) and I hear Ironclaw/jadeclaw are nice, Veeky Forums approved systems.

If it's got a snout, it's out.

Ears and tail, feel free to rail.

I find them more interesting than elves and dwarves and so on, simply because they often feel like not!human caricatures instead of anything that's unique or worth putting in a setting.

But this is Veeky Forums, so get ready for a barrage of negative comments. Yiff in hell and so on and so forth.

I like them because I grew up with them. A lot of my favorite cartoons growing up featured animal characters. So I still find them cute and fun.

A lot of people hate them and only think of them as fetish fuel, which makes me a little sad. I feel like they've gotten a bum rap because of it.

I like furry races, but whenever someone makes one, to me, they're as original as elves, dwarfs, orc, considering, c'mon it's a fukken furry. Not hatin, just saying.

If it looks cool, has interesting culture, and is designed by someone who doesn't obviously think I should want to have sex with it, then it's okay in my book. I probably won't play it, but I won't disregard it out of hand.

Noble Savage tropes are out. I can't fucking stand narratives about the wise, misunderstood beast race oppressed by ignorant xenophobic humans. And "finding out" this beast race is morally, culturally, and spiritually superior in every way.

Beast races that actually look bestial and non-human, 100% fine. This includes stuff like the Khajiit and Argonians of Elder Scrolls.

"Human with cat ears and a tail" or "Human with a coat of fur", no. That includes your topic pic, anime catgirls, stuff like Krystal from Star Fox, ect.
It's almost always just there because of someone's fetish or a really lame excuse for animal powers. I honestly prefer the boring elves and dwarves and stuff.

I think I'd like them more in the role of the kind of silly, zany race than your various flavors of midget humans, for example. I suppose because I always think of them as cartoonish and funny in that way.

As original as the default Tolkien races. The more interesting species design I find is more often in Sci Fi where artists design aliens to look really legitimately non human and unique as fuck.

In fantasy, a race that is Not!Human has
>humanoid body
>add animal features like ears or tail
>optional snout
>that's it

I don't mind them at all, assuming they're not only serving as magical realm.

>Khajits look bestial and non-human
>OP's pic is a Khajit qt
>furries love the Khajit race

user...

Khajiit in the actual games look nothing like OPs picture though.

I guess they actually DO exist in the lore, but I can see why the developers have chosen not to show that in-game.

I fucking loved the Redwall series man. It's like kid's introduction into Tolkien but with talking animals.

Fans of khajit also completely fail at understanding their portrayal. Most you encounter actually are just skeevy lowlifes looking to rip you off or rob you.

>he hasn't played arena/daggerfall

>Daggerfall
>Being able to tell what the fuck anything in that game even is

They are usually more boring cookie cutter stereotypes than the various elf subraces and furshit to boot, absolutely disgusting.

This is one of those things that requires a good amount of analysis. You see, Veeky Forums like all groups doesn't inherently have something. It hates things that are poorly done. Needless to say, furrys with snouts have an unfortunate tradition of being done poorly and suffer from having multi animals in humanoid figure's instead of one breed or species of animal being the single basis for the race.

Now the lack of their reason for existance or origin in the setting beyond a personal judgement of coolness on the part of the author or player aside, they rarely bring anything to the table ingame aside from fetish material and "cry for my doggirl" and at their worse they are bullshit combat monsters or social domineers. For instance, crocodile man having +5 racial to damage on a bite and armor bonus when attacked from behind, and catgirl having +5 to her social rolls are two respective examples.

Now as for why were OK with Gnolls but not heyena men and women, it's because they are not system breaking, they have a reasonable place in the setting, and they are not treated as the amazing race with a horrible reputation. As for Veeky Forums being ok with humanfaced furrys it's because they can be writen off as Magicly affected animals or humans like lycanthrope. Something snouted furry creators often fail to recognise.

That's all I have for now, questions or comments?

As you can see, good user, Veeky Forums is rather conflicted on the matter.

Personally I tend to find myself liking them but from the stories I've heard I guess I can't blame Veeky Forums for getting triggered about it too much.

Might want to get your eyes checked m8

If they player pitching it calls it "furry" then I'd probably object. But if they said something like "beastman" I probably wouldn't mind. Because use of terminology like that speaks a lot about the player. Similarly, saying "loli" as opposed to "little girl" or "young girl."

I don't play RPGs to indulge in fetishes, whether I share in enjoying them (loli) or don't (furry).

this makes sense.
i am making several different furry races and am having a tough time trying to balance shit without causing bullshit game breaks, so I appreciate your insight
Thanks user!

>NOT 1080P HIGH DEFEINITION 60FPS

Does Veeky Forums like -taurs and -tyrs?

>blacksad
You've got some good taste my friend.

>shota
>sparklewolf body
>wolf taur body
>speshul boy character that looks like he belongs in some tumblr chick's dumb yaoi webcomic

no. Kill yourself.

No problem. Also be careful how you present the race from different cultural points of view. Such things often decide on how they are veiwed, like how tiefling and half orc player get some odd glances as their race choice is considered as being needlessly edgy. Most of the above stemming from them being treated as social anomolys by the rulebook discription in most d&d editions.

Eh, they bring to the setting what I say they bring to the setting, just like any other race I decide to add or not add. Multi-animal or whatever has nothing to do with it, unless the person crafting the setting makes that an issue.

The only real difference is that animal races have more of a stigma than the stock races.

So OP, the real question is this: How much do base your decisions on other people's biases? The one thing I agree with the quoted poster on is this: The only difference between a good furry race and the trash that Veeky Forums is expecting is how well they are presented.

We hate furries, but Beast races are a classic in fantasy. What can we do?

All of applys to those a well.

I hate furfags that try to insert their shit in my games, but if there's a reason there's beast folk in a setting, I'll be fine with it as long as no one go along the line of being a fuckwit with it like making your cat girl a titty monster on your character art
Or some other shit in that domain.

I don't mind players making their cat folk stealthy rogues because that's how cats are for most parts, or making your dog man a loyal and honorbound knight, because that goes along with the tropes, although breaking tropes is fine too, like say an eagle man alchemist that loves to make dirty bombs, you'd see a buzzard kinda do that, but not the splendorous and amaizing eagle

damn that cat looks like George Takei.

Actual furfag shit is never okay. Snouts are out.

Only ears and maybe tail are acceptable.

Monstergirls generally get exception to that, but can fall into furfag territory.

>if there's a reason there's beast folk in a setting, I'll be fine with it as long as no one go along the line of being a fuckwit with it like making your cat girl a titty monster on your character art
Let me ask you this: Is it fine if the elf is a titty monster? Or are you of the opinion that nobody should be focusing on crafting their characters as sex objects first and characters second?

If it's the latter I agree with you. Not that I don't like busty elves.

I find it amusing how Veeky Forums often can't decide whether "more bestial" or "more human" is the solution, agreeing only that 50/50 is furry and therefore heresy.

Only time I've ever seen a furry race done well was the Skaven from Warhammer Fantasy, and that was only because the Skaven were genuinely hideous and only the most debased furfag would fap to that.

you choose between A) , B) , or C)

As long its not about sexualisation ,beast races are okay.

And if they have their own lore thats not based on real life cultures.

Like the Beast-Races in Elder Scrolls.

Whatever that is, i would play it for shit and giggles.

It's odd how the entire concept of these kinds of characters boils down to the question of whether or not some obnoxious faggot would stroke their dick to it. Could you imagine if every other race were judged on that criteria alone?

I mean it's fine if folks just don't like the aesthetic - hell, I can't stand gnomes and halflings and the like - but it's sad that this association with the furry fandom and their bullshit has all but ruined the entire concept of a humanoid animal race.

I feel only electro swing.
youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4

Simple; usually they only exist as poorly disguised fetish fuel for That Guy or the creepy as all hell GM. I mean sure, I like my well endowed Elf Sluts as much as the next guy, but furry shit is often borderline bestiality. It's either that, or they're just a race of living breathing stereotypes with no character all all (often placed as pandering for That Guys). However there are exceptions to the rule. Like for example: the Beastmen from WF, who personify the barbarism and cruelty from chaos, whose design is literally plucked from the Roman's description of the Germanic Barbarians that sacked the Western Empire.

Or the Khajit, who have their own massively underrated lore all but ignored by the general ES fan base. But these are seemingly rare diamonds in the rock just covered with mountains of yiff and fedora sperm. And that is a very shameful thing, not only because of the imprint Beastmen have left on our imaginations but also the fact we may be sharing our world with other sapient species like the Dolphin or the Black Bird.

I play a lizard dude!
>Proceed to do absolutely nothing even remotely lizard-inspired or act in any way like a lizard

This is my experience of every kind of animal folk.

I get annoyed when people that play elves never stop to bake delicious cookies in a tree house. I mean at that point, why not just make your character human?

Why even bring an elf if they're not gonna whip up some nice lembas to nibble on?

My question is always how to set things up without triggering the magical realm detectors. If I want to set up organised lion-people with a 30/70 male/female split and weird little city states where the basic family unit is a harem so I can contrast them with barren wastes dwelling matriarchal hyena people with demon blood and communal families, can I just lay that shit out? The fuck you want from me, a look at my sadpanda favorites to prove I don't have a harem or femdom fetish?

Go away you filthy fucking furfag.

what about giant bestial bearlike barbarian people?

Forgot a pic to keep things going.

How about when the only "Human" thing you're importing is sapience?

Animal people are cool.

Instead of Dwarves, Elves, and Humans, I'd rather have Lions, Tigers, and Wolves.

it is healthier to not trust Veeky Forums's community on this matter, they will almost always judge it by "what kind of player would play this (read: furfags with raging boners under the table)"

treat beastfolk in the same manner as if you would have to deal with elf races , or other classical ones.
they are good as long as they fit into the setting , are balanced in gameplay terms , and make sense with their natural quirks (or have consequences that make sense) .
and avoid the elf problem of being humans +1 because muh beauty/agelessness/wisdom/politeness/etc

and dont give a shit about people trying to make a character waifu material , as long as it doesnt go into unintended ERP. this single wretched individual does not represent its race as a whole.

now go and feel free to apply this to every other fantasy race

>Stop liking what I don't like!
>Stop liking what I like for the wrong reasons!

Do whatever you want. Fuck the haters.

I wish i had more than 3 of these without the card borders.

Just do it. And if you run into obnoxious furries trying to fap to your shit, tell them to fuck off. If you run into retarded dipshits like constantly looking for the furry boogeyman, tell them to fuck off too.

Make your setting on your terms and make it work. Don't let either side of this gaggle of shit heads sabotage you. If people like it, good, if not at least you tried doing it your way. Refine your idea for your specific audience or go back to the drawin board minus a few retards one way or the other.

>me and friend are working on a beast folk setting
>have dragonfolk as one race
>have catfolk as another race
>dragonfolk have huge power imbalance
>giving cat folk +5 in social isn't going to cut it

whew lad, this is a puzzle alright

Space Wolves are cool, if you ignore GW's latest wolfety-wolf-wolf Mr. Freeze raygun bullshit.

This is where another one of Veeky Forumss prime irritants comes in. The lack of originality that comes from furrys. Veeky Forums cannot stand when animal races decide to follow their real world counterparts to the letter. Also a lead in or even refrence to their social structure around genderlines will likely set a fa/tg/guy or Ca/tg/irl off.

It's highly irritating when the gender dynamics or worse, reproductive systems, come up on furrys. That's mostly due to the fetish associations and has come to be expected. Thus any reference, even saying breeding out of the reproductive context, is usually a poor idea.

There's charisma busty and then there's where tits take more than half of the woman's body.

I like women perky but there's a limit to things

It's time to nerf, or retcon the drags.