/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Thou Wicked Miller Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/t387cjc62i1e2f9/Osprey - ELI 185 - European Medieval Tactics (1).pdf
mediafire.com/download/8jo0vztlcex483l/Osprey - WAR 048 - English Medieval Knight 1200-1300.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=YThv9pmtuXo&ab_channel=DoleInstituteofPolitics
mediafire.com/?c2ka7ayd75ayv17
imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Ronin
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Hail Caesar! Late Antiquity to Early Medieval Army List
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Germany Strikes!

14th of May in military history:

1264 – Battle of Lewes: Henry III of England is captured and forced to sign the Mise of Lewes, making Simon de Montfort the de facto ruler of England.
1509 – Battle of Agnadello: In northern Italy, French forces defeat the Venetians.
1610 – Henry IV of France is assassinated, bringing Louis XIII to the throne.
1747 – War of the Austrian Succession: A British fleet under Admiral George Anson defeats the French at the First Battle of Cape Finisterre.
1863 – American Civil War: The Battle of Jackson takes place.
1868 – Boshin War: The Battle of Utsunomiya Castle ends as former Tokugawa shogunate forces withdraw northward to Aizu by way of Nikkō.
1931 – Ådalen shootings: Five people are killed in Ådalen, Sweden, as soldiers open fire on an unarmed trade union demonstration.
1940 – World War II: Rotterdam is bombed by the German Luftwaffe.
1940 – World War II: The Battle of the Netherlands ends with the Netherlands surrendering to Germany.
1940 – The Yermolayev Yer-2, a long-range Soviet medium bomber, makes its first flight.
1942 – The Women's Auxiliary Army Corps (WAAC) was established by an act of the U.S. Congress.
1943 – World War II: A Japanese submarine sinks AHS Centaur off the coast of Queensland.
1948 – Israel is declared to be an independent state and a provisional government is established. Immediately after the declaration, Israel is attacked by the neighboring Arab states, triggering the 1948 Arab–Israeli War.

It is 752 years since the Battle of Lewes, one of two main battles of the conflict known as the Second Barons' War. It took place at Lewes in Sussex, England. It marked the high point of the career of Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester, and made him the "uncrowned King of England".

Henry III was an unpopular monarch due to his autocratic style, displays of favouritism and his refusal to negotiate with his barons. The barons eventually imposed a constitutional reform known as the Provisions of Oxford upon Henry that called for a thrice-yearly meeting led by Simon de Montfort to discuss matters of government. Henry sought to escape the restrictions of the provisions and applied to Louis IX of France to arbitrate in the dispute. Louis agreed with Henry and annulled the provisions. Montfort was angered by this and rebelled against the King along with other barons in the Second Barons' War.

The war was not initially openly fought, each side toured the country to raise support for their army. By May the King's force had reached Lewes where they intended to halt for a while to allow reinforcements to reach them. The King encamped at St. Pancras Priory with a force of infantry, but his son, Prince Edward (later King Edward I), commanded the cavalry at Lewes Castle 500 yards (460 m) to the north. De Montfort approached the King with the intention of negotiating a truce or failing that to draw him into open battle. The King rejected the negotiations and de Montfort moved his men from Fletching to Offam Hill, a mile to the north-west of Lewes, in a night march that surprised the royalist forces.

The royalist army was up to twice the size of de Montfort's. Henry held command of the centre, with Prince Edward, William de Valence, 1st Earl of Pembroke, and John de Warenne, 6th Earl of Surrey, on the right; and Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall, and his son, Henry of Almain, on the left.

The barons held the higher ground, overlooking Lewes, and had ordered their men to wear white crosses as a distinguishing emblem. De Montfort split his forces into four parts, giving his son, Henry de Montfort command of one quarter; Gilbert de Clare with John FitzJohn and William of Montchensy another; a third portion consisting of Londoners was placed under Nicholas de Segrave whilst de Montfort himself led the fourth quarter with Thomas of Pelveston.

The baronial forces commenced the engagement with a surprise dawn attack on foragers sent out from the royalist forces. The King then made his move. Edward led a cavalry charge against Seagrave's Londoners, placed on the left of the baronial line, that caused them to break and run to the village of Offham. Edward pursued his foe for some four miles, leaving the King unsupported. Henry was forced to launch an attack with his centre and right divisions straight up Offham Hill into the baronial line which awaited them at the defensive. Cornwall's division faltered almost immediately but Henry's men fought on until compelled to retreat by the arrival of de Montfort's men that had been held as the baronial reserve.

The King's men were forced down the hill and into Lewes where they engaged in a fighting retreat to the castle and priory. Edward returned with his weary cavalrymen and launched a counterattack but upon locating his father was persuaded that, with the town ablaze and many of the King's supporters having fled, it was time to accept de Montfort's renewed offer of negotiations. The Earl of Cornwall was captured by the barons when he was unable to reach the safety of the priory and, being discovered in a windmill, was taunted with cries of "Come down, come down, thou wicked miller."

The King was forced to sign the so-called Mise of Lewes. Though the document has not survived, it is clear that Henry was forced to accept the Provisions of Oxford, while Prince Edward remained a hostage of the barons. This put Montfort in a position of ultimate power, which would last until Prince Edward's escape, and Montfort's subsequent defeat at the Battle of Evesham in August 1265.

The streets of Lewes were lined with dead and wounded, and most of the latter would also die. The abbot of St. Pancras priory put the number of dead at 2,700, most of them peasants. In 1846, during construction of a railway line through the site of St. Pancras priory, excavators discovered a mass of human bones in a well about 18 feet below ground level. There were enough bones to fill 13 freight cars — probably well over 1,000 skeletons. The bones were taken from the site and unloaded a short distance away, where they were used as fill for an embankment then under construction. Whether they were the remains of Henry’s or Simon’s men is unknown.

Lewes is interesting in that it and Evesham were the only pitched battles to be fought by English armies in the mid-13th century. It provides medieval wargamers with a fantastic chance for a High Middle Ages clash on a relatively even footing, with a lot of colour and gaming potential.

mediafire.com/download/t387cjc62i1e2f9/Osprey - ELI 185 - European Medieval Tactics (1).pdf
mediafire.com/download/8jo0vztlcex483l/Osprey - WAR 048 - English Medieval Knight 1200-1300.pdf

I'll try not to over-spam this, but once again, if there are any gamers around the South-West of the UK, there's a Jutland Naval Wargame being held in two weeks' time.

Just to sweeten the deal, I've spoken to the organiser (a serving RN officer), and he's told me the following:

-It's at a Royal Navy reserve station, and (as well as opening up the subsidised bar) they will bring out their Jutland memorabilia and be on hand to discuss the battle's history
-It's command-based, with the Admirals on each side in a separate room and communicating with their divisional commanders by signal

Time to bump

I was there on holiday two years back, neat little town.

Im with the No Logo user. I like the fact we can start each thread with an interresting new picture

Yeah, nah.

Im also with NoLogo anons. Sure its easier to find general in catalog, but i usually just search for 'hist' anyway.

I just search hwg
or /hw

searching 'hist' is better, as sometimes there is some other historical threads made by crossboarders, so you can help them if needed

>The bones were taken from the site and unloaded a short distance away, where they were used as fill for an embankment then under construction

Mandatory cringe for carefree destruction of archaeology in the name of progress.

I did have a tongue in cheek idea for an /hwg/ coat of arms, that being a Lion Rampant holding a turnip.

replayed the Battle of Arracourt in Bolt Action yesterday. Used the Night Fighting rules to simulate the fog.

Was a blast since the tanks went into close quarter combat... and still didn't hit shit.

dumping some pics.

and out

Riding unbuttoned in a BMP

The paint jobs are lovely, but ouch, some of those mold lines.

yeah I know man... those were some of the first minis I've painted and back then I didn't know about mold lines. now I do and later ones don't have them any more or least I've tried to remove them. pic related my Fallschirmjaeger.

Finally, no more problems with paper maps and the damned folds fucking up my chits

this wa way more work than I expected...

Friendly reminder that Radpanzers are rad panzers

>making that many of something
>no matter how simple/small/easy

It was always going to be tedious.

you re right, but I didnt think clearly about it beforehand

well, tickle my anus and call me samantha, i have perfect requirements to be a hussar.

>tanks ever being this close and still alive

and this is why BA is shit

>been working on something similar
>looks like shit in comparison

;-; damn u did good user

We had something similar happening in our first test game of BA tank war using a set of demo minis; 3 Shermans vs a Panther with Barkmann's special rules.

There were multiple cases of one player (the FLGS owner) missing anything-but-a-one shots where the tanks were within a couple of inches of each other.
A few less-likely shots also failed, but that wasn't quite as frustrating.

thx, I can only recommend using iron wool for the trees. accidentally bought 20 times the amount i needed and still only payed 3 bucks.

>accidentally bought 20 times the amount i needed
what are you going to do with the rest?

Scour your pans?

make more trees when I get some time on hands and scour pans if I need to I guess, there are so many possibilities...

You could use some as smoke for blast or wreck markers.

true, gonna keep that in mind if I ever do 1. WW stuff, for gas and stuff,
but sadly the romasn and goths I plan on purchasing dont spontanously combut after dieing so no casualtitymarkes there...

You could use it on some buildings or something for burning ruins, that could look pretty sweet.

that makes me wish to play 6mm chinese Ahn Armies and make a extra ruleset for hail caesar for using fire, overflowing rivers, broken dams and stuff like that in combat... would be totally awesome

Environmental stuff like that is always a good way to spice up a game, if you ask me.

probably only useful in a campaign setting. so you can use it to plan eleborate traps for the enemy.

it really reminds me of ravages of time, a really good hawaian sharkskin-stitching about the romance of the three kingdoms. dont now about the historical accuracys, but the startegic planing of the maincast is very elaborate and fun to read.

I dunno, you can make stuff like that work for one-off games. For example there's a Through the Mud and the Blood scenario set in 1914 which features changes to movement as a result of the Belgian floods.

true, if you play these very specific szenarios it can work,
I guess I cant convince myself, not to make fire and smoke markers. have to get the colors when I have the opportunity

I've been reading through the rules of Crossfire. Managed to get a friend interested and going to have a test game tomorrow. It got me thinking though, wargames don't seem to be that popular and there are a lot of smaller games around. How do you find people for the one you're playing?

post minis

crossfire looks really cool, I like its take on tactics and its kind of unusal turn and activation system.

My group of friends are all wargamers, so I just get some of them around to play new things, provided I've already assembled 2 forces and written some rules... I pretty much entirely play homebrews these days.

>be worried about the spacing/scale of my terrain ive been working on mostly ddue to budget restraints (have to use carddboard for bases etc)

>lay it out on the mat for the first time
>doesnt look as bad as I thought

I know its still poor tier but Im pleasedd.

post pics?

I will once Ive finished the touch ups, need to to extra flock and I little paint.

Anyone know where I could find some suitable minis for pre-Viking age (IE Vendel culture) Scandinavian warriors or similar?

What do you use for trunks?

Don't worry too much, there's a guy in these threads who's literally obsessed with mold lines.

BMP

Bumping with an interesting video

youtube.com/watch?v=YThv9pmtuXo&ab_channel=DoleInstituteofPolitics

Mah blackskinned friend.
Its not historical in terms of strategic planing, wich is literaly keikaku dori there, but still great manhwa. Sadly no one translates it anymore

I got black wire from the harwarestore and twisted 6 strands togehter. I thought that 2cm would be a good hight for 6mm treetrunks. but be aware, it was a ton of work. next time Im gonna force my friends to help me like in Ford maufacturing plants

Twisting black wire together for trunks, and putting iron wool together as branches and leaves. Sounds like a pretty good, cheap terrain idea. Any other advice/suggestions?

I went for the cheap and sturdy way, searched and cut some textures and printed them out. through that, all tiles besides the tree ones have a productioncost of 2 cents. due to süray paint, iron wool, printed texture and the wire, the tree ones cost me like 25 cents per tile.

I reinforced the edge with transparent tape, for even more sturdiness, another user sugested to paint the edge with marker, to hide the uneven cuts
I desided against flocking anything, becaus I want to easily store the terrain

Well im never posting my terrain project now after this. Congrats user looks amazing

thx but id love to see, how you did rockfaces If you have any

How did you get that colour for the leaves? Different sparkling greens.

green spray varnish, the sparkling is probably the ironwoo. was to cheap to get black or brown spray for basing, but im still pretty happy with the result

>im still pretty happy with the result
well it looks fantastic so I don't blame you.

SEXY HEXY
E
X
Y

H
E
X
Y

nice job user, looks great

how/what did you do to print? doesn't seem like it's just regular paper

it is just regular paper

Great work user

Are those helmet wood, bone or iron? Hard to tell. What do you want to do with them?

A suggestion for any anons who want to do something like this, instead of tape you could also use matte mod podge instead of tape, will seal that texture on no problem and not make the tiles shiny if you don't want that.

Still, looks fantastic with tape too. How did you cut the tiles so evenly?

good man. youll find the games will be a touch more enjoyable now

alot of preperation and a little math

Aerosans are so fucking cool, like a classic example of that insane tech the Soviets loved so much. Do any WW2 systems model them? I know a wheeled variant popped up once in a VBCW game I read about, using Bolt Action rules.

Oh fuck yes, I forgot about the aerosani. definitely including it in the latest ostfront soviet list.

Essentially a very light vehicle with a machine gun. It will get raped by the lightest wind, but could be decent for recon and taking out the odd infantry or light vehicles.

It wouldn't be able to move through cover like a normal vehicle though, would be limited to open ground, and battles would be assumed to be on snow when you're using it...

On the subject of crazy Soviet vehicles, what about the ekranoplan? Anyone used on these in a game?

It's the sort of thing that would make a great centrepiece for a game; for example a commando raid to sabotage or capture it.

>I know a wheeled variant popped up once in a VBCW game I read about
Tally ho!

A gift for all you fine gentlemen and scholars.

mediafire.com/?c2ka7ayd75ayv17

Thanks, m8.

Nice one user. Pretty sure we have it buried in the folders somewhere but it certainly won't hurt to bring it to the attention of anyone who has not read it. I have a battered copy of the 1981 edition lying around, one of the treasured members of my wargaming library. It's a real time capsule now, written when hex & counter was fucking huge. The section on computer games is amazing in hindsight; it features Taipan and the original text-only versions of Flight Simulator and Temple of Apshai. Also of course there's the pocket wargame "Patton at Metz" and Jim Dunnigan's personal-eye-view of the history of early wargaming. It must be hard for him to look at wargaming today, especially the computer applications, and not scream I Told You So every five minutes.

What game?

Maurice pdf available anywhere? Marlburian era is calling..

There was a Russo-Finnish War variant for Panzerblitz that added these to the game, check over on imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/ - I believe a copy of that article is there...

So I've been playing a decent amount of SAGA recently and I really, really like it and I'd like something similar but for different periods.

What other similar skirmish games would /hwg/ recommend I check out? Other than Crescent and The Cross obviously.

The first one who mentions Lion Rampant gets slapped.

Why?

Chandragupta

It is part of the Great Battles of History series of games by GMT

Since it got updated, Chevauchee's supposed to be pretty good!

Thanks m8

Dux Britannium maybe?
It's earlier and more campaign focused but I've seen nout but good about it.

I think they are iron with engravings.

I want to use them for an early Angle themed army. Basically just looking for warrior kaftans and boar crested helmets.

Is there anywhere I can buy clearly-female 28mm models in uniforms and gear that look vaguely European from somewhere between 1800 and 1950?

The Dicebag lady?

Ekranoplan Carrier

ATS and ASL both have the Aerosans in them.

Own it. Think I picked it up in.....the early 90s. Also own his book "How to Make War" although I always thought the title would work better as "How War Works"

both good titles. Should sit down and read them again

I've seen a wiki linked to before that has various uniforms and references for modern regular and irregular forces. Anyone have that link?

Never used it in a historical game, but I'm still hoping to put them onto the battlefield in Battletech.

Looks fun!

Probably the one setting that actually makes the most use of them.
They hardly turn up in anything else.