Sssss snek Sssssss

Sssup Veeky Forums

How do I into yuan-ti? I've got a 5e campaign starting in two months, and I want these ssscaly sssumbitches to be my bad guys.

I don't much about yuan-ti though. Their god is asleep and the only wake they can wake him up is through fucked-up shit, apparently. What can we do with this angle? It makes yuan-ti brutal as hell without being emotional like humans. in b4 Snake Nazis

Also, how do I make yuan-ti an effective enemy in a world were Winter occurs once a year, for roughly 4 months?

>Yuan-ti thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pLPeehsXAr4
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Solaron
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

bump

Racist shapeshifting psychopaths.

The monarchy in the human naval kingdom is secretly sneks.

>Also, how do I make yuan-ti an effective enemy in a world were Winter occurs once a year, for roughly 4 months?
Same way reptiles do: hibernation. Or if you want something more hardcore, google the Siberian salamander.

Or those mountain frogs that get frozen solid every winter and thaw out in the spring.

youtube.com/watch?v=pLPeehsXAr4

Wouldn't they be very easy targets if frozen like that, though?

My setting takes place nearer the equator/south and back in a time when the Yuan-Ti empire is at its apex.

They were former humans living under the rule of evil Nagas. Couatals came from heaven to fight a war against the Nagas. A handful of humans learned magic that allowed them to slay all the Nagas/Couatls, gained their divine power for themselves, and became the first of what we now know of as the Yuan-Ti gods.

The process also turned their most faithful followers into Yuan-Ti: more snake-like depending on how close they were to the gods.

Their temple-cities are in the deepest parts of the jungles, but through Psionic manipulation, assassination via poison, and advanced magic, they have incorporated surrounding human tribes who are vassals, tributaries, and slaves.

Society superficially resembles Egypt/Mesopotamia/MesoAmerica, but has many similarities to dystopian fascist states. Society is stratified, with slaves at the bottom, human sycophants in the middle, and Yuan-Ti on top. Yuan-Ti organize themselves into the elite Warrior/Priest caste which consists of Abominations, mundane warrior/priests consist of Malisons/Halfbloods, and the Purebloods, who are closer to humans and act as administrators, clerks, and overseers for humans.

In most of their cities outside the temple-cities of the south, the population ratio is usually 85% humans, 8% purebloods, 5% malisons, and 2% abominations.

Spies and Psionic mind readers are everywhere, looking for thought crimes. People breaking the law tend to just fall over from poison or disappear and reappear as a mind-wiped slave rather than be publicly executed.

They are very advanced in Magic, although they tend to focus on darker aspects like blood magic, necromancy, curses, and mind control.

Cont...

But hibernation = 4 months of reprieve.

How is it possible to lose a war against these guys when they give you 4 months vacation each year?

You generally avoid going to war during winter anyway. Winter drains your strength, by hibernating or freezing you lessen the amount of resources you have to stock. All you need to do is to be able to hide or seal yourself to the point of becoming untouchable.

Despite this, they maintain lots of far off contact with distant realms. They have spies and emissaries in many high courts and work to make sure distant lands don't intervene as they continue to expand their borders into more immediate regions.

PCs from the Yuan-Ti empire tend to be Purebloods or Humans who are acting as spies/emissaries or are on the run. There's always someone scheming against someone else in Yuan-Ti society, and sometimes people get caught in the crossfire and have to leave unless they want to get used in an experiment, assassinated, or reprogrammed.

Maybe they rule over a bunch of non-snek people who take care of them during hibernation. It can be like a cult, or just a privileged caste among the non-sneks keeps the other in check so they dont start shit in winter.

>Maybe they rule over a bunch of non-snek people who take care of them during hibernation. It can be like a cult, or just a privileged caste among the non-sneks keeps the other in check so they dont start shit in winter.

And this can be where the story of the "sleeping gods" come from. The Yuan-Ti masters are just in hibernation.

Also they're Psionic, so you can say that even though they're sleeping, they can still do shit with their psychic powers. Maybe they take control of certain human followers. Or maybe their psychic powers grow stronger when they enter hibernation, and they use that to wrack their enemies with nightmares, sow distrust, and spur the creation of cults until such time as they can attack.

>You generally avoid going to war during winter anyway.

But that's only true for humans.

What about golems?

What kind of golems can snake people make?

So Yuan Ti who leave a vanguard of purebloods hidden in society to watch and plan, while a construct/undead army guards them in hibernation.
The party are sent on a quest to end the Yuan Ti menace once and for all by wiping them out while they're still asleep, before the serpents can awaken once more.
The party fails

It would to be much more true for cold-blooded beings.

Okay, here's what I'm not getting. "Yuan" is essentially the same as "yen", a coin. What does "ti" stand for?

Cold and crawling make warm and walking

Tea. Both come from Japan, you silly-billy.

1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Solaron
Every time