Tundra civ ep.57

Welcome everyone, new and old players alike! This is Tundra civ, a civ thread series in a fictional, non-fantasy setting where you play as the rulers of the White Republic, a nation in a world similar to our own.
Check out the pastebin for story, technologies, stats etc.
pastebin.com/t7gWa2pa
And an archive of previous threads if you want to skim through some of them.
archive.4plebs.org/_/search/boards/pol.tg/subject/Civ/username/Civ bulgar/page/1/

Previously on Tundra civ:

After the end of the Great Eyerdar War the world is once again at peace. We, the White Republic, set our sights to the pursuit of science and wealth. Technology has been advancing greatly in all regards and the common man can enjoy a better life thanks to it. Voting rights were extended to married women who have completed militia training. Prosperous years ensued, but in the autumn of 1180 AE the Centerhold stock market crashed! Now, in the first days of 1181 AE, the market continues to go down as the crisis has spread from finances to all areas of both the private and public sector.

>Population:151 000 000 (78% white, 15 % chink,2%hibibi, 3% darkskin,2% pacharnati)
>Colonials: 25 000 000 Eyerdar 13 500 000 Veita 13 500 000 Ocras

>Economy:5//10
>Food stockpiles:8/10
>Food production: 7/10
>Political Stability:6/10

>A.Exploration
>B.Food production & Population growth
>C.Improve religion/culture
>D.Settle new lands
>E.Construction
>F.Improve Military
>G.Research science
>H.Improve Navy
>I.Improve economy
>J.Regional development
>K.Diplomacy and war
>L.Government and laws

Businesses in Aymsland and Northern Eyerdar have been hit the hardest, but those in the southern colonies are also experiencing troubles now.

I

I improve our economy

What course should the government take to combat the crisis? Inflation and unemployment are both rising.
A.Financial route - More fiscal responsbility, balance the budget, cut unnecessary spending, cut taxes, try to get inflation under control
B.Nationalise some industries, issue labor bonds, issue government programs paid with them, address material goods production first rather than focusing on money
C.Be even more extreme, nationalise as much of the private sector as possible, put it under strict government control
D.Let it pass, more interference would only make matters worse. The free market will fix this.

>A.Financial route - More fiscal responsbility, balance the budget, cut unnecessary spending, cut taxes, try to get inflation under control

A

>A cutting taxes for the first time
Let's roll good this time

Rolled 75 (1d100)

We'll try the financial route, the crisis is still mostly financial in nature, hopefully we'll be able to nip it in the bud.

nice.
We've invested a bit into tech we should do some agriculture and infrastructure. once we have the funds for it.

Nice >75

Success! While it took some time and there was some irreparable damage done already, further damage was prevented after appropriate measures were taken. The National Bank, its minting and the Treasury underwent some reforms and new appointments. The initial shock and panic eventually wore off, the Camark is once again returning to its previous value. The crisis lasted for less than a year overall, it is now the summer of 1182, the economy has almost completely recovered now.
>Population:152 000 000 (78% white, 15 % chink,2%hibibi, 3% darkskin,2% pacharnati)
>Colonials: 25 200 000 Eyerdar 13 600 000 Veita 13 600 000 Ocras

>Economy:7//10
>Food stockpiles:7/10
>Food production: 7/10
>Political Stability:7/10

>A.Exploration
>D.Settle new lands
>E.Construction
>F.Improve Military
>G.Research science
>H.Improve Navy
>I.Improve economy
>J.Regional development
>K.Diplomacy and war
>L.Government and laws

>>B.Food production & Population growth

B.

B

B

The new government, a unified coalition of urban and rural conservatives, has taken several measures to improve the state of our agricultural sector. In some places there's actually been a large excess of agricultural products being produced which aren't being sold or consumed. Interest-free loans are being granted for the purchase of advanced machinery, but a large focus is also on quality of produce. Quantity must be kept at a reasonable surpus to guarantee that everyone can afford food, but a more diverse and healthy diet will also help children grow better.
In 1183 we've seen a rise in birth rates after the economy has started improving once again and living costs are falling alongside unemployment. The upward trend is expected to continue for a while.
>Population:153 000 000 (78% white, 15 % chink,2%hibibi, 3% darkskin,2% pacharnati)
>Colonials: 25 300 000 Eyerdar 13 700 000 Veita 13 600 000 Ocras

>Economy:8//10
>Food stockpiles:7/10
>Food production: 9/10
>Political Stability:8/10

>A.Exploration
>D.Settle new lands
>E.Construction
>F.Improve Military
>G.Research science
>H.Improve Navy
>I.Improve economy
>J.Regional development
>K.Diplomacy and war
>L.Government and laws

G.

C I think its been a long time we didn't go with C

>>C.Improve religion/culture

sorry for being late.

As time has passed the various Regions have developed local cultural aspects. The accent in which a man from Lakeside would speak is different from what a colleague of his in Center-Kot would have. Determined by nature, economic development, historic events and proximity to other cultures, the Regions have naturally progressed in diverging paths, but what unifies all of us is our blood, faith, nation and history.
How shall we influence the development of our national culture?
A.Encourage free development of arts and sciences, an exchange of ideas and free discourse
B.Work on strengthening our religious institutions and the people's faith, a vital part of our core binding principles
C.Foster patriotism, national brotherhood and unity above all else
D.A new Wonder
E.Other

>B.Work on strengthening our religious institutions and the people's faith, a vital part of our core binding principles

A

C.Foster patriotism, national brotherhood and unity above all else

Last thing we need, is to fall apart into many city states or some shit.

Failing that then i'll back A

C.

>A

B. Bring united in faith would also promote brotherhood.

B

>B.Work on strengthening our religious institutions and the people's faith, a vital part of our core binding principles
we need real cultural unity

A

>B

Religion has seen a recent revival thanks to the radio. Pilgrimage has once again gotten widespread as travel is much easier and the Grand Temples are seeing many pilgrims each month. In the major cities of our other continents the bigger temples have also attracted visitors as our people travel more in general. Religious unity has been strengthened.
>Population:155 000 000 (78% white, 15 % chink,2%hibibi, 3% darkskin,2% pacharnati)
>Colonials: 25 600 000 Eyerdar 13 900 000 Veita 13 800 000 Ocras

>Economy:8//10
>Political Stability:9/10

>A.Exploration
>D.Settle new lands
>E.Construction
>F.Improve Military
>G.Research science
>H.Improve Navy
>I.Improve economy
>J.Regional development
>K.Diplomacy and war
>L.Government and laws

>>G.Research science
Let's make some rockets, I want to go into space

>G.Research science

C

G.

H

Ha ha, time for science! Would be nice to not do too much of G this time, there's lots of options for a reason
We're around 1931 in tech
Pick two areas
A.Industrial (Metallurgy, Factory output and quality, Construction)
B.Physics(Ballistics, nuclear research, other experimental and theoretical stuff)
C.Chemistry(Medicine, chemical warfare, synthetic materials)
D.Electrical engineering
E.Military
F.Naval
G.Transportation(all kinds)
H.Other

>B.Physics(Ballistics, nuclear research, other experimental and theoretical stuff)
>C.Chemistry(Medicine, chemical warfare, synthetic materials)
Let's get some nukes and some better medicine for our people

A.Industrial (Metallurgy, Factory output and quality, Construction)
B.Physics(Ballistics, nuclear research, other experimental and theoretical stuff)

B.
C.

>B.Physics(Ballistics, nuclear research, other experimental and theoretical stuff)
>G.Transportation(all kinds)
Let get rocket propelled aircraft and cool stuff like that.

We've made advances into both physics and chemistry. Nuclear and ballistic research is very difficult and will take years to produce tangible results, but it is well underway now thanks to generous government funding and development of these experimental projects.
We've also developed a new generation of combat gas and a variety of other chemical weapons usable in both major and minor engagements. Medical technology has advanced and synthetic materials are being produced throughout the nation and are seeing greater use.
Science fiction has also emerged as a popular genre in literature.

>Population:158 000 000 (78% white, 15 % chink,2%hibibi, 3% darkskin,2% pacharnati)
>Colonials: 25 900 000 Eyerdar 14 100 000 Veita 14 000 000 Ocras

>Political Stability:9/10

>A.Exploration
>D.Settle new lands
>E.Construction
>F.Improve Military
>G.Research science
>H.Improve Navy
>I.Improve economy
>J.Regional development
>K.Diplomacy and war
>L.Government and laws

>I.Improve economy

>>I.Improve economy

>Science fiction has also emerged as a popular genre in literature.
Now is time to boost patriotism, By showing off every technical progress we've made and giving huge amounts of funding into writers and artists that believe in our future!
The cultural and technological wonders will make our people gain faith in Us forever.

H

>C

Honestly, i find it hard to believe it took this long for us to create science fiction as a common theme. I mean, if someone from our empire was to not keep up with technology for even 30-40 years they'd probably find we had preformed miracles.

I mean we have mastered flight, discovered radiation, cultivated penicillin and so much more yet our people have only as of recently began to enjoy considering their future in a fantastical light?

C

C. Now is a time for scientific progress and a cultural renaissance to follow it.

>Honestly, i find it hard to believe it took this long for us to create science fiction as a common theme
you're wrong then, it will be used for propaganda when we will look up to the stars, our people must admire science not vilify it.
Sci-fi isn't about looking at what science has done but what it might be able to do in our future.
Since we have technological superiority over the whole world we might as well brag about it like the US did when they planted their flag on the moon.
Sci-fi as propaganda checks out.

C it is.
A.Nationalistic/patriotic propaganda
B.Free development, let the arts flourish
C.A new wonder

B

But instant of just planting the flag on the moon with 60s tech, let's push forward and try to colonizing space.
A.Nationalistic/patriotic propaganda
Sci-fi propaganda

>A.Nationalistic/patriotic propaganda
Let's influence the movement by copious amount of bragging about present and future achievements.

>B

A. Have tales of White people conquering outer space and defending it from alien hordes. It will pay off in the ong run immensely.

I think you misunderstand my post, I am arguing that the writers of our civilisation have for most of our history seen massive shifts occur in technology and in society. Spurred on by the government and private enterprise hand in hand, breaking all priorly held ideas of what is possible. To me it just seems weird when we have shattered so many records in such a rapid period of time yet we had never had a popular series of sci-fi literature.

Admittedly it could have something to do with the stock market crash; people were feeling down and out yet within a year we have recovered more or less perfectly. By all logics that would inspire great hopes for the future in more or less anyone.

B.Free development, let the arts flourish

>B.Free development, let the arts flourish

>A

>To me it just seems weird when we have shattered so many records in such a rapid period of time yet we had never had a popular series of sci-fi literature.
true sci-fi like Bradbury and later Orwell began after 50, when the tv was well established. The speed at which we developed must factor in as well then sci-fi must have developed earlier because have started to rush on tech last thread like crazy.
>By all logics that would inspire great hopes for the future in more or less anyone.
Being pushed down in the mud and then helped by the state who announce great technological progress to help you would certainly do so.
Also on another note we should totally help the chink develop they might turn out to be great allies later.

Rolled 49, 70 = 119 (2d100)

Calling for mixed, leaning towards B.
We've sponsored some state propaganda in the direction of futurism, but we also allow culture to develop freely.
1 Internal Development Roll
2 External
high is good for both

>49

God dammit, we made soap operas and talent shows. God help our nation...

>70

...and everyone else is doing just dandy!

While the arts have been flourishing, we've seen more people get involved with addictive substances of all sorts, impacting productivity negatively in many places. We have no legislature of any sort restricting any substance use, only whatever the local culture deems acceptable or not would change consumption.
Internationally, things have calmed down as both the KE and SA have focused on peaceful development after the war, improving their scientific and economic levels, while still lagging behind us with a couple of years in most regards.

>Population:162 000 000 (78% white, 15 % chink,2%hibibi, 3% darkskin,2% pacharnati)
>Colonials: 26 400 000 Eyerdar 14 400 000 Veita 14 300 000 Ocras

>Political Stability:8/10

>A.Exploration
>D.Settle new lands
>E.Construction
>F.Improve Military
>G.Research science
>H.Improve Navy
>I.Improve economy
>J.Regional development
>K.Diplomacy and war
>L.Government and laws

L

L

Smash it with culture not with laws or else it'll keep existing, make sure every honorable man would take arms against such corrupt act.

>L.Government and laws

I would suggest a series of studies into the effects of these drugs on the subjects health. We will follow this up by enforcing regulations as to what quality the drug must be, at what age you may sell them to people and a measures to prevent the forming of a tobacco lobby or similar such group.

Bulgar I like to change my vote to a mix of L and C
Make studies effects of the drugs and use culture to limit it's use.

inky did you drop you trip?

Forget my trip
Yeah

L AND C

We'll be setting laws, it seems.
Addictive substances:
Traditionally there's been various kinds of alcoholic beverages around for hundreds of years, their creation and consumption is linked to local culture. Naturally, too much alcohol is bad for you and it doesn't take much to get to too much.
Tobacco - since conquering the kafi lands we've had access to tobacco. It is addictive, calming and unhealthy, in most cultures is considered as a gentleman's thing, but in recent years women have also started smoking cigarettes more frequently.
A variety of recreational drugs exist throughout the world. Common features in their consumption is a temporary pleasant feeling, sometimes calming. Some have a past as types of medicine, synthesised medical drugs are being used to this day for various prescribed reasons. Some "softer" recreational drugs are believed to have a lesser health risk, while the "harder" drugs are highly addictive and detrimental to a person's health.
A common trait among substance abusers is lowered productivity, found in various forms for various substances.
What would you propose as a solution? We have no laws regarding any substance use in our Charter of Laws, which is the sole source of Law in our nation.

Firstly, if the drug is to be sold. It may not contain any dangerous additives unless entirely needed. If it is done to save money or for any unaccepted reasons then the company will lose their permit for the production and selling of drugs.

In all schools people will be educated as to how costly drugs are, being told how many years off their life they would lose from X drug. Using information based off of various government trials.

Also make sure to shatter any large, powerful lobbying groups which are funded by drug companies.

Anything else?

Any other suggestions

>Permit consumption of alcohol with a percentage lower than 70% for all man above 16 of age and woman above 18 of age but greatly disapprove of unhealthy high amount and regular consumption.
>ban tobacco
>Allow recreational drug that are tested to not influence decisional capabilities and awareness by a council of doctors and chemists
>Issue a total ban on drugs that don't pass the test, make the testing process clear and embarrassing if failed by the test subject, publish all paper in our press.
>addition of addictive substances is punishable by death or simply the forced and uncompensated take over of any corporation that make such an act.
>extensive propaganda is to be made.

Do this
But let's also make AA (Alcoholics Anonymous)
If you guys don't know what it is, it a program that help people with alcohol addiction also other addictions, it's works
Also we can use this AA to make use of our progaganda and religion

I dislike the methods of alcoholics anonymous. They preach faith in a higher power, rather than self control and family to get through tough times.

>Banning tobacco
>Banning a stupidly economic cashcrop that really doesn't do anything besides smell bad and be addictive.

If you want to murder the fuck out of the economy and give whatever proto-blackmarket exists a massive government loan, go ahead you fucking moron.

That is literally worse than the prohibition.

>>ban tobacco

TIME FOR A PROHIBITION

>But let's also make AA (Alcoholics Anonymous)
Very important idea, shaming alcoholic won't serve us well while helping them to improve and giving them a hand will, We must make sure people can rely on their family and friend to be helped.
>implying tobacco aren't taking the place of our people's crops
>implying russia didn't get fucked because of vodka during their famine
>implying if you can sell something to make the economy better it must be done
It's not because it can be sold that it must be sold.

Question, do you prefer my suggestions;

Speaking of which, Obelix did come up with one good idea. All drugs should have to go through a test to make sure they aren't too dangerous.

Thing about Russia is that most of it is unsuited for most kinds of crops.

Tobacco is a very small amount of our total crop ratio, and we own most of our home continent, most of a second, a good portion of a third, and completely own a fourth.

We have the space.

Well when I was a AA they did preach faith, but also self control and family, also it will be useful in our society since Religion is a big thing in people lives.

Also we can always change some stuff of AA, it's doesn't have to be a exact copy

Through tests we can determine which substances/ drugs can be considered "soft" and which - "hard"
Now on the categories
1.Alcohol
A.Men 16+ Women 18+
B.Everyone 18+
C.Everyone 21+
D.Ban highly-alcoholic drinks
2.Tobacco
A.Everyone 18+
B.Men 18+ Women 20+
C.Ban it
3.Drugs
A.Soft drugs only, 18+
B.Any drugs, 18+
C.Ban recreational drugs
4.Economic standpoint
A.Tax the sale of any addictive substance that is legalized
B.No extra taxes on these sales, that's an easy way to anger people
C.Other

Any other good suggestions also welcome

We really should improve our infrastructure again.

It's falling behind in our great march of progress.

A.
C.
C.
A.

Okay just the fact that the whole "higher power" angle fails terribly with our religion. Seeing as we worship the elements.

This, not to mention as a nation where the government control part of every business. We can always stop them growing too much.

1.Alcohol
B.Everyone 18+

2.Tobacco
A.Everyone 18+

3.Drugs
A.Soft drugs only, 18+

4.Economic standpoint
A.Tax the sale of any addictive substance that is legalized

>A.
>C.
>C.
>A.

>1A
>2C
>3A
>4B
I believe this is the right way to do it, but make sure that by "soft" you mean "soft" like really soft , like anti-stress drugs soft.
Not modern cannabis "soft".
Also ban consumption in public space.
I hate when those fucking smoker walk just in front of you in the street non nonchalantly while you inhale carcinogenic because of those fucks.

In their defence, if they don't do it they will in some cases feel like a cancer patient being told they have aids during liposuction.

B.Everyone 18+

A.Everyone 18+

A.Soft drugs only, 18+

A
C
C
A

A.Men 16+ Women 18+
C.Ban it
C.Ban recreational drugs