How does one feel about mechas and personality?

How does one feel about mechas and personality?
What makes a mecha yours or your characters that let people know it's definitely you. Do you have preference to style or weapons?
Also mech art thread if thats cool.

in short, what's on your dashboard?

Other urls found in this thread:

jakubsan.tumblr.com
ksenolog.deviantart.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw lack of dieselpunk mechs

furry dice, discuss.

Mecha are walking tanks. Anything else is anime bullshit.

I will always prefer some level of realism.

Mechs aren't unstoppable, no teenage pilot bullshit, no natural piloting geniuses, just trained pilots in production machines fighting for political goals.

Right, so Battletech isn't really your thing?

It depends on the complexity and abundance of the mechs. I've seen teenagers operate heavy equipment. I think there are some USA tank crew members in their early 20s.

That describes battletech better than almost any anime outside of VOTOMS.

>No teenage pilot bullshit
>no natural piloting geniuses
>production machines

Battletech has both of the former two and for a very large part of battletech's history they are used like relics from the past or a Knight's Steed than a production line piece of gear.

Apparently it's not your thing either, or you'd know how far off the mark you are.

No, that's not really true. But if you want to think so, go for it.

>No, that's not really true. But if you want to think so, go for it.

Really, it's not?

Katrina Steiner was a sickly child who started piloting battlemechs at 12. She was a military officer by 18 doing combat missions.

Kai Allard-Liao was such a natural piloting genius that almost no one could match him and he could carve through other mechwarriors like chaff.

Up until the Clan invasion, Battlemech production was barely covering losses with most mechs being decades or older relics that were passed down through family lines.

Or the entire Phantom Mech clusterfuck, where fate itself made sure that rivals got their dual rather than being hit by other enemy mechs.

What I really dislike in mecha is when they start flying around like they're jet planes or something. That's why I liked NGE and pacific rim a lot more than other mecha, because the mecha were grounded.

you can teach anyone to pilot, they might not be skilled but think of it this way, if a guys young he's not gonna be an ace pilot unless he's got some knack for the operation.

No, not really. Even those cases are just good piloting that barely shows up in the crunch of the game and anyone can be beaten by a well trained veteran or a bunch of standard tanks.

People get better with training and experience, nobody is at a level that's impossible for anyone to achieve, and the main difference between IS and Clantech is how much they feel like spending per mech.

So no, it really isn't any of those things.

Not the person you're responding to, but attempting to counter specific examples with 'No' and a complete lack of supporting evidence makes your point seem really weak.

>No, not really.

There was literally an example there of a teenage pilot and Kai Allard-Liao in fluff is good enough to worry Clan pilots like the words 'It's a gundam' have been uttered.

And you are denying that Pre-Clan invasion, mechs were not treated like just production line gear? They didn't have the production capacity to treat them like that.

1920+ is my fucking jam.

Scythe looks like it's going to be so fucking cool. I can't wait until they finish production.

Can't wait to see what the video game that he's working on will look like.

Are you denying that before your mother's brain accident, no woman had ever sucked your cock?

What are these from? They look amazing

Just managed to find the artist, I love this style of painting. jakubsan.tumblr.com

You're talking about pilots who started pilotin young but weren't elite until many years later after attending various training academies. You're just wrong. Its the opposite of the "teenager hops in a mech and is better than everyone instantly" trope.

Besides that, even the young pilots in canon are rare and not the focus of most stories.

And yes mechs were expensive and rare, but not anymore than any other high tech gear in that era, and they weren't invulnerable at all compared to standard vehicles. Just slightly more durable and versatile.

Not going to link to others because I am lazy. But Battletech low production shit of the 3025-3050 is because they spent about 200 years nuking the ever loving shit out of each other prior to that point. So no shit mechs are regarded as knightly heirlooms and such. Then there was Comstar that actively hindered the proliferation of technology to keep everyone in the dark. Eventually tech proliferation happens and factories are brought back online and mechs become widespread again.

Wow, those goalposts sure can move. Quicker than a naked Flea.

Apology accepted.

Never enough

I tried to commission this guy for some art for my own 1920s mecha game, but he never got back to me. Guess he wasn't interested or didn't want to foster competition.

It's fine though, I found an equally good artist...who has been out of contact for a few months.

So if anyone can recommend some artists, I'm still looking to commission more mecha

First picture was the Astarian Model 181 Vanguard.

This picture is the Shoshkepali M79 'Herald of Oblivion', firing its Teleforce Beam

>didn't want to foster competition.

That's probably the reason. Also, stop pasting your deviantart-tier mechdoodles everywhere until you have more of them, we've seen those two one gorillion times.

I want my mech to look like a slut and confuse the other pilots' dicks.

Good lord, this salt. If you hate gundam, just say so, but don't try to pretend that Battletech is any better when it comes to "muh elites" and "muh teenagers"

It's really named the Herald of Oblivion?

Wow kid.

This, what would you even possibly do if your squad of big green monsters with their blank faceplates and spiked shoulderpads crested the hill and saw a bunch of Fairylions having a tea party?

For one thing, you wouldn't have the sense to run.

Hate me if you must. But I embrace the inner weeb.

I forgot my picture.

Only an autist would hate you.

Voltron is borderline weeaboo at best. Every kid my age grew up with that. It's like calling Thundercats or Transformers weeb. Technically they are, but come on... Only the most hardcore autist could fault you.

What next, calling someone a weeaboo for liking Ducktales?

I like my mechs like Gundam. Or Macross. Or Jovian Chronicles. Or like pic related

What makes this a Veeky Forums thread and not an /m/ thread? If you want to talk about mechs in battletech, or 40k, or some other traditional game, then include that in your OP. If not, there's an entire board out there for general mech discussion and art.

Mechs have a sense of uniqueness to them, within their own franchises. Some giant robots are extremely bulky fatwalkers which look as if they can eat a nuclear bomb.
Others are extremely sleek and thin machines which look like (and usually can) outpace comparable fighter jets and do dogfights at lightning speed.

They also have this sense of struggle in the middle of a fight. If I've shot a mech pilot's machine a dozen times, it's not going to drop. If I shoot some soldier on the ground two times, he's probably not standing up for a while, sometimes never again.
Fighting between multiple Real Robot mechs boils down to "I know that thing is going to break eventually, so until then, I need to make sure I'm not broke'd myself" and as such, every battle winds up being a hard-fought struggle to avoid getting hit, mitigating damage, and maximizing damage on the enemy.
Super Robot is just the same level of fun that we get from your typical shonen (SUPER 666 GODKILLER SATAN'S NUCLEAR DRILLING SPASM GAAAAAAAHHHH), only behind the seat of a tremendous machine that can level cities, rather than just being some singular dude on foot.

The reason people don't like mecha as much as typical shonen is because it takes the power away from a normal human, so they can't pretend they are XxX_666_K1R1T0_TH3_BL00D3DG3_[MLG]_XxX from behind the wheel of a massive robot.
You need to not only be an immensely proficient pilot, but you also need to have an outstanding machine, and even with these in mind, you are fighting against others who have equally powerful robots (and usually better ones at that) who are attempting to outpace your skill level, and technical issues can make you a sitting duck.

Mecha is only as flawed as the self-inserting faggot's ability to project his hero complex onto the MC. For those of us who only want to fight, struggle, live, and eventually die behind the wheel of an awesome robot, it's a feeling that nothing else can compare to.

These make me want Flash Git Meganobz.

>What makes a mecha yours or your characters that let people know it's definitely you.
I happen to be an expert on this subject. I'm the leader of Veeky Forums's Armored Core team.

So, the number one most important thing.
Emblem.
In any setting where pilots have their own individual emblems, that is always the first thing that comes up. When you make a name for yourself, people recognize your emblem whether you're out and about with your team, off doing some solo runs, or just dicking around somewhere.
The mech's appearance is probably the second most important. A particular color scheme and weapon setup, while they are easier to copy, eventually becomes noticeable. Think Char or Nine-Ball.
Additionally, a unique mech/weapon combination will yield a few practitioners who become notable for their proficiency.
It's also possible for a pilot to become known for their personality. This comes up in anime and some video games, but it's pretty rare in multiplayer games.

Anyway, sorry to bump a thread that's three hours old, but I just wanted to toss in my input.

>I'm the leader of Veeky Forums's Armored Core team.

My condolences AC6 never

Don't remind me.

Depends on the bobble set you have.

this guy would be a perfect fit, but his page says he's working full time and not doing commissions(but maybe try contacting him anyways);

ksenolog.deviantart.com/

Cirico is a teenager.

Am I a weeb for liking King of Braves GaoGaiGar?

In a mech and pilot setting, I'd imagine giving the pilot "affinities" for certain mechs would be neat in making them their own.

For example if a pilot and their mech during a session survived a particularly brutal encounter then maybe the pilot would get a bonus to survivability when piloting that specific mech.

No, you're just a manchild.