Battletech General: Capellan Annihilation Edition

/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

Old Thread: → #

===================================
First Succession War
mediafire.com/download/dp9iiecoaz4c29k/E-CAT35235_BattleTech First Succession War.pdf
===================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JpS1SVeBQ1M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anyone downloaded TtS Brownstreak or whatever it is called?

No, but I am holding your Butte

>420, based Captcha

Playing some megamek and my Medium Pulse Laser just hit an Atlas for 3 damage.
What the fuck?

Probably either some atlas with hardened/reflective armor, or Glancing Blows is turned on.

Reflective armor?

Ran a quick test between a hunchback and a thunderbolt with my modifications to the armaments and damage system of Gruntz. Definitely way better results. The Thunderbolt won, but took 50% damage, and the whole affair took 5 turns of fire and movement. Rather than 1-2 that it took without modification.
Gotta make my own unit cards though instead of using a builder, still, stealing the default template and editing it is piss-easy, just time consuming.

If I wasn't planning on including battle armours I'd just drop the overall damage output by 10 since it'd be superfluous to keep the range as it is right now otherwise.

Eventually went with a 1.5x multiplier over BT's ranges, 2x felt too long and would have meant the mechs were too slow without also doubling speed, which in Gruntz isn't slowed by need to spend it on turning so much, so achieves a consistent faster rate than BT's mapsheet movement overall whilst having a similar range of movement amounts (4-7 walking for most).

Again, why the hell are you not just playing Alpha Strike

As stated previously, it's overly expensive, difficult to get hold of in a physical copy combined with I hate playing with a .pdf for reference at the table, especially one that requires not one but two large books to cover the system in play properly, and I've never liked just how much the Battleforce system really cuts down on detail to the point of being even worse about it than 3rd edition Epic 40k jamming everything into an abstract 'firepower'.

With all that, why the fuck would I play Alpha Strike?

>overly expensive

nigga what

>difficult to get hold of in a physical copy

You're posting here, you can clearly order one online

>requires not one but two large books to cover the system

The books are downright scrawny. If you combined them into one volume they would be average for a game system.

>Battleforce

Is not Alpha Strike

Retard Britcuck pls go

I know it's not BT but holy shit, this is impressive as fuck. I always wanted to try this game.

youtube.com/watch?v=JpS1SVeBQ1M

I'm still not seeing any arguments in favour of the system.

Why would I use it? I have an alternative I am happier with already. Are you trying to imply there's something wrong with adjusting a system to be more suitable? Are you against putting in a small amount of effort to a hobby activity? Is it that I don't like something you like?

I honestly don't comprehend your outrage.

I dont get it either. Some people just get asspained for incomprehensible reasons. Would love to see how you converted everything. I need to check out Gruntz now.

Well I'm not the other guy but now I hate you and it for "Gruntz"

Are you going to play it with Miniz and Dize?

Silly git, its the name of the system. So far it looks pretty neat at the 15mm scale. Dont know the rules so really hoping the other user posts his bt converted stuff to grasp this stuff.

Fuck off shill, you're fooling nobody.

But seriously, stop trying to kludge that shit together and just play the fucking game designed to do what you want.

When will purple birds realize that the anus can only stretch so far until it bleeds?

Why are you so mad tho? Dude doesn't like how abstract AS is but still wants a BT-lite. I don't get his other complaints like cost and books but wanting a BT feel but at a different scale and speed is completely understandable.

Wanna play FATAL?

What happens when Purple Burd-chan gets pregnant?

Much like how Griffith was reborn into the mortal world, the Master shall be reborn! BLAKE VULT!

This thread is already fucking horrendous
Shitposters, shills, memelords and other assorted faggots plz go

>Why are you so mad tho? Dude doesn't like how abstract AS is but still wants a BT-lite. I don't get his other complaints like cost and books but wanting a BT feel but at a different scale and speed is completely understandable.

Because he's literally doing the exact fucking thing he complains about. You can't save people from themselves but you can at least point out their idiocy for others.

>Purple burd gets pregnant.
>Don't ask who or why.
>child is the second coming of Blake
>at least that what everyone says.

Was it consensual?

From what I saw from the last thread it looks like a more granular conversion where the loadouts actually matter. I dont know if locational damage and heat is involved or not. But you do know you're saying he is not allowed to try to make a system that appeals more to his sensibilities and that makes you mad he essentially isnt using GW approved materials right?

>at least that what everyone says
It better not be another fucking Kerensky.

>Was it consensual?
Yes, with hand holding in the missionary position

What's everyone's favorite force-filler/utility mech? Like, that one mech that you just keep going back to when you want to round out a lance or fill in the #12 spot in a company

A Thunderbolt, Vindicator, or Hunchback. All three never steer me wrong.

Albatross.

Not even joking, it has a gun for everything and moves fast enough to roll with lighter units.

At the risk of sounding like a memer, the Vindicator is my go-to. However, I like to mix it up and not every lance is a Cappie lance, so things like the Archer, Thud, Shad, Wolvie, and whatnot are all up there too.

The face of justice.

So the Brotherhood of Randis made an Assault mech.

What would you like to see next from those crazy crusaders?

If I didn't know what this was , I would assume it was some Kevin Simbieda-tier art. Every time I see it it makes me think of some of the shit-tier art he makes that he jams into his products.

A homegrown utility Light 'Mech, to be honest.

When the clans are done DPing the Lyrans

Honestly, unless he's degraded badly in the last fifteen years (which is totally possible), his art in the older Rifts and such RPGs never struck me as BAD inasmuch as aggressively mediocre
Merlin, Vindicator, Lineholder or Bandersnatch. Sometimes Warhammers, too.
I also use Hunchbacks ,Grasshoppers, Archers and Thunderbolts a lot, but not really as last-minute filler
A solid heavy trooper, something like the Hound or Cataphract-2X

>he is not allowed to try to make a system that appeals more to his sensibilities

No, he's not. Play what's provided or get out.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not because I have met people who think this

>aggressively mediocre
Honestly this is probably more true than what I said. I just take issue with him shoehorning it in when it brings the art quality of the books down a lot, especially when he had really decent stable artists, even back in the day.

Frankly, I want them to finish the job. Then the FWL and Falcons DP the Wolves, and then OCTARINE OWL is go

>I just take issue with him shoehorning it in when it brings the art quality of the books down a lot,

I always assumed that it was a money thing, like "oh fuck we need more art but don't have enough money for artists. I KNOW, I'LL DO IT MYSELF"
Palladium has never exactly been rolling in the dough
>, especially when he had really decent stable artists, even back in the day.
On a side note, I really wish they had gotten Kevin Long and Wayne Breaux to do TRO art back in the day; they were actually really good at giant robots, much better than a lot of the late FASA crowd

Signed

What would the best time period for a Battletech tv series be?

Clan invasion. I'd probably center it around Somerset, and have it focus on the Jade Falcons.

It would be really interesting to do it from the PoV of the clan warriors and have them learn about Inner Sphere culture and how much more familiar it is to the viewers.

Trying to do things from the PoV of the "villain" almost never works out, especially for TV.

But the clans are the good guys! Except the Smoke Jags.
We don't talk about smoke jags.

It wouldn't be hard to portray the Clans as the good guys, returning to reconquer the decadent remnants of the space they abandoned centuries ago. You could really write them as anything from glorious heroes(how they see themselves) to tragic antivillains(they just want to reform the Star Leage) to The Absolute Worst(smoke jags )

My top three would be Wolverine, Griffin and Hunchback. The first two are great utility units in any model, and the Hunchback has a variant for every occasion. You want the biggest gun? -4G. LRMs? -4J. SRMs? -4SP. Enough lasers to be the light show at the regimental disco night? -4P.

FWIW, they should have a fair few thanks to easy purchase from their allies.

YOU DARE TO REFUSE MY BATCHALL?

I DARE

DARE TO BELIEVE I CAN SURVIVE

Go with Ghost Bear as the protagonists. Family values and sibkin loyalties, Stronk action heroes, and occasionally very silly American Football.

>very silly American Football

At least it wasn't a complete walkover. They should have given the kicker of that field goal the MVP.

Shit, at least the Jaguars were honestly portrayed. Not like the Ghost Bears magically winning the loyalty of a people who spent several centuries fighting for independence.

When did the Diamond Sharks change back to being Sea Foxes?

Diamond Sharks/Sea Foxes seem pretty pragmatic for Clanners

>Due to the equality between the castes, the Diamond Sharks practice a unique reserve system for replacing military losses. Rather than remain warriors until death, Diamond Shark warriors could voluntarily "retire" to a lower caste - almost always the merchant caste - with very little loss of honor. In fact if the warrior had earned their Bloodname and so secured their genetic legacy there was no loss of honor at all. This was because these 'warrior-traders' remained part of the Clan's reserve system and could be recalled at any time to service. Bloodnamed warriors who fought an annual Trial of Position were allowed to remain part of the active reserves while the rest were considered inactive. For this reason the Clan had very few solahma units, composed of warriors too stubborn to leave or disgraced in some way and seeking honor in death.

>This reserve system was used for the first time after Tukayyid, but even so rebuilding their shattered forces proved to be too slow, and so the 'Minus-One Testing' program was instituted. An active reservist could immediately fill an open position within a second-line or garrison unit by willingly taking a demotion to one rank below what they'd earned: if in their last Trial of Position they had earned the rank of Star Colonel they could instead resume active duty as a Star Captain. Those on inactive duty would fight a new Trial of Position with the same terms of enlistment, and both would be allowed to advance back to their former positions through the normal methods once they were warriors again. This swelled the ranks of those units responsible for defending the Diamond Sharks' vast holdings while the best warriors were able to quickly fight their way back to front-line units. Additionally, in the rare case of a reservist being challenged to a Trial by an active-duty warrior and winning, they were allowed to assume that warrior's rank and position.

And their uniforms make me think of Treasure Planet

Nothing beats the Dracula Pattern mess dress though.

(In all seriousness, the Ghost Bears probably have the best-looking dress uniform.)

All I've seen is their Mobile Infantry cosplay.

Here it is.

But I liked the Jaguar dress uniform better. The cape really sells it. Plus the Bear one looks like a South American get-up.

Not nearly enough bling for that El Presidente look. I do admit the GB kit isn't nearly fancy enough for proper mess dress (such as the one this glorious bastard is wearing) but as a No.2 service dress it's probably the most practical one I've seen in all BT.

I guess, but practical in BT? Like most Bear things it ends up boring.

That Lyran get-up has the right idea: fancy, flashy, shit-eating and expensive.

>fat as hell
>rich nation
>incompetent military
>corrupt arms contractors
>"german and celtic heritage"
shit, the Lyrans are Space America.

The Lyrans' magnificent moustaches are the icing on the cake. Even Flashman would be envious of that face fuzz.

Exactly.
The Free Worlders have it right too with their fancy white uniforms. It evokes this sense of Habsburg or Bourbon dynasties, of age and class. Throw purple on that in a callback to imperial aspirations and that's a nice look.

Just look at the shoulders.

or Space Russia, or Space British Empire at the peak of colonialism

>Just look at the shoulders.
Would you properly call those epaulettes or pauldrons?

The Germans have ben ridiculously incompetent at getting the next gen projects rolled out during WW2 and they fucked up military procurement hard in recent years.

I see ol' Tommy's taken the old and approved route of customising his uniform as the top military man of the FWL. That golden piping is purple for everyone else!

Then again, IIRC in the old house book the FWLM is actually mentioned as having a huge variety of dress uniforms, each more blingy than the last. I just wish one of the hussar regiments would have THE traditional hussar style dress uniform. Just look at Vicky Louise here - she knows how good it looks.

You posted this before, eurocuck.

Found it. And of course Thomas put an end to the fancy uniforms. Spoilsport.

>That skull
How have I never noticed it? This uniform just went from great to fuckin metal.

Aside from the minor problem of their perpetration of jag-tier atrocities across their OZ from 3050 to the mid-60s

As dress uniforms go, I think the Blood Spirits deserve a honorable mention simply for wearing them to clan council meetings instead of fursuits

Those never happened, they were ComStar propaganda. The Bears actually were building schools, hospitals and tabletop-focused gaming stores to win the loyalty of the Rasalhagian people.

>this is what Ben Rome actually believes

Cavalry regiments really go for the skull theme. One of the most metal cavalry guidons I can remember is that of a Finnish cavalry unit: black guidon with a skull and a red rose. In Blighty, the Queen's Royal Lancers had the greatest cap badge ever.

There's one short story in one of the sourcebooks or rulebooks that details an interaction between Rasalhagian resistance members to the Ghost Bears being betrayed by one of their own.

I wish I could find it again.

Yes, said short story is set in the 3070s or 80s, AFTER the OZ treatment 180 in the 60s

Yeah I know. You wouldn't happen to remember that book it's in, would you?

Era report 3085?
I don't really remember

In the begening they were painting clan wolf as the "Moral" clanners. As ghost bear was not Wolf, they had to be as big a cockslap as the other crusader clans. When Bear became the largest warden clan, they got some nice white wash to go with it.
If you wanted to make a TV show from the clan perspective, they still fit the bill. Jags are assholes, and Green Chicken are cunts, and not in a way that makes people want to have them even as anti-heroes.

Was Yvonne the worst ruler of the post-Hanse FedSuns?

>helped the FCCW happen
>unqualified to lead at all
>made a mess of things in the Jihad
>no one respected her
>embraced "muh LCTs"
>fucked over the AFFS long term by embracing an uninformed defensive orientation
>didn't hide away war materials
>didn't even try to rebuilt the AFFS to a force of RCT rape-trains
>mothered an unremarkable twit that married a Hasek
>grandmother to Caleb the Cuck

They really should have just ditched Yvonne after the FCCW and elevated a cadet branch to rule.

She is fucking terrible, sure. But is she actually worse than Caleb?

>They really should have just ditched Yvonne after the FCCW and elevated a cadet branch to rule.
Shoulda given it to the Marik-Steiner-davions

Or given New Avalon back to the Capellans and let Sun-tzu have the throne.

>given New Avalon back to the Capellans

New Avalon is an ancient Capellan planet like Chesterton?

Since the Liaos are the rightful successors to the First Lordship, ALL planets in the Inner Sphere are Capellan ancestral territory.

>Implying Strana Mechty isn't an ancient Capellan holding.

Their claim goes through Victor, who renounced his claim.

Honestly, making the fucking calderons heirs to the FS would have been a better idea than Yvonne

Hey guys, I'm putting together a 3058-era Capellan company for OpFor use in an upcoming game, and I could use a second opinion on it

>Command Lance
Cataphract-2X
Snake-1V
Thunderbolt-5S
Vindicator-1L
>Fire Lance
Longbow-0W
Archer-4M
Rifleman-3N
Vindicator-3L
>Recon Lance
Locust-1E
Phoenix Hawk-1D
Locust-1E
Jackal-1532
It's supposed to be a periphery border guard company, since that's where the players are being employed to raid
Any suggestions, improvements, anything?

It's pretty close to the Periphery, so drop the Longbow (assaults aren't as necessary so far out on the fringe) and grab a second Archer or a Catapult in its place, just to lighten the force a touch.

Also, the Snake is pretty high-tech for a Periphery border guard company. Cut it for something a little lower tech, like a med/heavy line mech from whatever power this area is near?

>Command Lance
>Cataphract-2X
>Marauder-3R
>Thunderbolt-5S
>Vindicator-1L
>Fire Lance
>Archer-2R
>Archer-4M
>Rifleman-3N
>Vindicator-3L
>Recon Lance
>Locust-1E
>Phoenix Hawk-1D
>Locust-1E
>Jackal-1532
Alright, I've made a few changes; the snake is replaced with a captured taurian marauder and the Longbow is exchanged for another Archer. I'm keeping the Jackal as the company's only post-3050 design, since they were said to mostly be out on the periphery border.
Overall, it looks decently threatening without being TOO dangerous, which is what I want.
Thanks for the help

>Overall, it looks decently threatening without being TOO dangerous, which is what I want.
I'd run it. Looks solid user, well done man. What're the other players running as their force?

Their unit is reenforced battalion strength overall, two companies each of tanks and mechs. For this mission, though, they're deploying their second mech company, each player running a lance, which is so:
(They're all fans of modified machines, mostly for durability reasons)
>command lance
Emperor-6A
Grasshopper-5H
Thunderbolt-5S (modified with DHS, ERLL and CASE)
Wolverine-6K (modified with CASE and no SL)
>Fire Lance
Archer-4M (Artemis IV removed for more ammo, all MLs front)
Shadow Hawk-K (with 1 less SHS and keeps the ML)
Cestus-6Y
Marauder-3R (modified with 16 DHS and a third PPC, plus extra armor)
>Line Lance
Warhammer-7M (modified with no MG or AMS, CASE and more armor)
Hunchback-4P
Merlin-1B
Crab-27
Aside from the Cestus, pretty much the entire unit is old machines purchased at auction for cheap and refitted with more modern gear.
It's going to be a set of three lance-on lance battles, though which lance faces which is going to be randomized, as is the surprise arrival of a lance of Po tanks to one of the fights, and a lance of Vedettes to another, since these guys are so much heavier than the capellans they're facing. Should be interesting.
I'll post a battle report after the game, which is sometime this week, as of yet undetermined

Like the Zentraedi-Meltrandi in Macross?

I think the Field Report implied that, had the army she created been around in recent times, the Federated Suns might not be having the military troubles they do now.