Malifaux General

Malifaux general, here are some useful links,

books;
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

Who /Rasputina/ here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xd96aPUTsAY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

played 3 matches for now, going with yan lo and his ancestors buddies

Last match I had the problem where, even if I kept getting chi for yan, I couldn't spend it for my upgrades since I had to keep healing toshiro because he was getting pounded hard by gremlins (even with hard to wound +2 and armor +2 thanks to yan lo's buff).
so, in retrospective, I need a healer. what should I go for?
otherwhise i could just keep toshiro in the back and get izhamu and some minions to take the hits...

Izamu should be tanking most of your hits ideally, though in practice that won't always happen. You have a few options to keep him chugging though.

Chiao and Nurses can keep him topped up, and even if he's paralyzed he's still use full due to his aura.

To protect him from ranged you can use Sebastian to give cover or the Carrion Emissary to throw up blocking terrain.

I'm also not sure how integral to the Yan Low package the Soul Porter is, but you could also swap him with a Graveyard Spirit to give him more armor.

Anyone know of good 3 player scenarios?

its been a while since I played, how is the Freikorps Von Schill list working? I used to really love that list but it was pretty slow.

Tosh is definitely not a front lines fighter. He has the same attack as a Punk Zombie. Tosh is for buffing and summoning.

Chiaki, Nurses, and Freikorps Librarians are among your best options for healers.

There are a few 3 and 4 player scenarios in the scheme & strategy deck. I think there's a 3 player in Crossroads, too.

Totally. Von Schill is a solid take all comers master and the freikorps are really good.

Soul Porter is pretty necessary for him, his spear has a trigger to just give an ancestor within 6" a chi.

Nurses are amazing healers at the cost of paralyze. Chiaki can remove paralyze. Nurses are damn near an autoinclude for yan lo (also, they can give izamu +2 to his melee damage, making him a world-eater).

Nurses are amazing period.
Giving an enemy model without a Ml attack hallucinogens is hilarious.

So, no Rasputina players here?

Since obsidian oni and jorogumo look so great, it came up to my mind, that oni themed crew would be a pretty neat idea. I knwo that with Ripples of fate, TT will get oni themed master, but I would like to give the demons a few runs right away. Therefore, I would like to ask you TT players, which of the current amsters would be the best to field him, orher alongside oni.

thanks guys.
as a further note, how should I expand my yan lo force considered that I own him, chiaki, the shoul porter, 3 ashigaru, toshiro, 2 samurai and fuhatsu?

Izamu, first. Actually, you're playing him as TT?

yeah sorry forgot izamu which is my first choice as soon as it gets to the lgs

no idea for now, considered what I own I keep alternating (yan lo can take 4 non faction pieces anyway and i have never used fuhatsu yet)

Yin, Izamu, and Komainu. 2 great ancestors and another summon for Tosh.

Playing 10T, you've got great standbys like snipers, bros, Sensei Yu, and Tengu. Pathfinders are nice as well. The Shadow Emissary with Yan Lo's conflux is also fantastic.

I've yet to use the Obsidian Oni, but they seem good with Toshiro in general, so any crew. Mei Feng might get more use from them with the burning/scrap deal they have. Jorogumo are great with McCabe for his minion support and they benefit from Smoke and Shadows.

When in doubt, McCabe.

I second McCabe.

Black flash reactivation on a 9 ss minion is stupid good.

I decided to try something new with my second construct, and here I am. Not as clean as I would like it to be, but, there's no point in starting all over again right now. Now, since the muscle parts are done, the rest should be done in no time.

For that one guy, who's studing medicine. Screw you, it doesn't ahve to be accurate.

Monday preview

reminds me of attack on titan

Interesting. Was sure those bloated fairies were gonna be her crew box. Looks like she's got an elite crew like Perdita and Ophelia.

I'm wanting to say the horse rider is Little Red Riding Hood, so she might be rocking a fairytale crew, though I can't even begin to guess what the others are.

The other silhouettes might be the other faction masters. The number of factions lines up.

It's the other masters.

From left to right
Outcasts
10T
Guild
Gremlins
Ressers

For those playing Through the Breach, how the fuck does magic work? Do I just succeed on a Flip of a Magia and Immuto's TN? But then magic is OP as fuck, as, for example, Elemental Projectile has incredibly low TN. Or do I need to do a separate Attack Flip after successfully casting a spell? But then magic is shit because it's too risky and isn't really worth it.

Also, what's the current year? I thought it was 1901 because Brief History page on their site ends here, but, apparently, I was wrong and it's 1906. Where can I learn more about that?

Basically: You flip to see if you succeed. If you do, you use that number as an attack vs the enemy's resist. So if you cheat to succeed, you can't cheat again once the enemy's defense is known (usually you'll know this pretty quickly once combat gets going).

As far as fluff, it's all scattered around, but the main books cover it pretty well, mostly through vignettes. 2e Core, Crossroads, and Shifting Loyalties will give you a pretty good idea of the current metaplot.

Have there been any leaks other than the TT/Nvb/Resser masters yet?

lets play a game called how many separate pieces will she be in.
I'm guessing at least one separate foot and the wings will be 2-3 pieces each, probably a separate face too

Speaking of Through the Breach, I was thinking of running it in Roll20. Does anyone have any experience with using the cards on Roll20 or do folks usually just use dice as substitutes?

Not masters I don't think.

Arcanists and Outcasts had henchmen leaked though.

gonna have my first game soon, Ulix vs the Dreamer. It's just the starter boxes but I am excited none the less

I run the map/cards on roll20. The cards are very easy to use, though some talents I have not found a way to make work (Fifty-Fifty, which sucks because it's such a cool talent). The main thing is finding a set of card images so you can make a twist deck without wanting to kill yourself.

I made a core deck for all the players and then made individual twist decks. But, sadly, I had to ban 50/50 and anything else that played with the twist deck, which makes the wastrel an impossible option.

If I had players who voice chatted I'd say just have everyone play with their own twist decks. But then, the players I'm with are cool and wouldn't be dicks about it. Plus, Irish Union Werewolf is kinda an awesome character, along with Rule 63 Iron Man, and Shotgun Batman. Blackblood wrecks most the party though.

My offline game is equally rad with John Henry, the Robot Butler dude from Battleborn but punchy, Chinese Seamus without resser powers, and Medic from team Fortress (with associated sociopath tendencies.

I got an arcanist player in my playgroup who started with rasputina. (She liked the model and the posing). But she ended up ditching her for Ramos and Collette as she prefers masters/crews who dance around their opponents rather than direct engagement (or floods them with unimportant crap like spiders).

I have all 3 books and am actually quite confused as to the plot.

Also anyone know of good Malifaux music? Hardmode: No Ennio Morricone.

acoustic guitar, country, blues. i think time period wise it's before big band or ragtime was around

youtube.com/watch?v=xd96aPUTsAY

Seamus tried to wake up the Malifaux personification of Death/Cthulhu which triggered the awakening of a bunch of other immensly powerful beings (Tyrants) that inhabited Malifaux before the Neverborn. The tyrants are trying to manifest physically through various masters.

Various masters/factions have different aims but thats the main plot.

What do I read to learn about the Nythera plotline?

Bump

There's the campaign book itself, but if you want the short version:

>The PCs are spared execution to work as deniable assets/dead mean walking for the Guild in order to suss out some information on Nythera, which among other things involves stealing Philip's head for a wacky adventure. The PCs find out that the vault holds some sort of great power, and is literally siphoning the life from the surrounding area in order to maintain itself. So needless to say a lot of people would like to crack it open to get to the juicy center of power inside.
>The wastrel who pulls you from the execution winds up being a TT agent, which in turn gets you tied up with the Thunders as they send you to the Honeypot to get some info from a Freikorpsman with loose lips, as they rightly suspect Lynch may not be entirely on the up in up in this particular matter
>You find out that the Freikorps have an interest in Nythera, as do the Neverborn: the Freikorps want whatever's inside, the Neverborn want to keep it closed
>Through some more wacky hijinks you end up working with the Freikorps: the Cult of December is doing their damndest to hold the line inside the ruins while Rasputina completes the necessary rituals to keep Nythera closed because December is scared shitless of whatever's inside
>The PCs can choose whether or not to disrupt the ritual: canonically it is opened and unleashes Titania, who was imprisoned by her fellow Neverborn for making a deal with the devil with the Grave Spirit in order to fight the Tyrants. It's also stated in the "what's next" post-campaign adventure hooks that doing so touches off a civil war in the Neverborn as some side with their old queen vs. others who want nothing to do with that shit.

So...clearly titania is even cooler than I thought. Too bad I'm a dirty filthy outcast

Is Grave Spirit a Tyrant, or something else entirely?

Something else, it's what the people of old Malifaux summoned to deal with the Tyrants.

bump of interest. Care to share your plans, if any? I'd love to join.

When has summon bigger fish ever failed :D

But seriously, didn't Zoraida try to do the same thing by empowering the Viks to kill a Tyrant?

Gosh Malifaux needs to explain its lore better (or have a bigger community that summarizes things).

There was nothing left on malifaux that could kill a tyrant, so she lured something that could from Earth.

I was considering running something for a small group of friends, dunno if it's going to pan out though. I was mostly just considering my options, sorry if I got your hopes up.

At the least a wiki would be nice. I mean I appreciate the weekly radio broad cast but, gimme a time line guy!

Ok so, in other news, If I wanted to paint my Von Schill crew in Power Rangers theme. Who would be what?

Hannah is not included since I use her in a lot of crews and Lazarus confirmed for megazord (if I get good enough at painting to make it happen)

I really hope this guy gets the Mercenary Keyword.
I'd love to take him in Arcanists or something.

The radio broadcast is hard to listen to (or atleast the first episodes). The audio recording is kinda ehh and the guys voice is pretty shit. Especially when doing women's voices.

Wiki would be great. It was through those I got all my 40k knowledge.

Agreed, I tried listening to the witch hunter one and ended up tuning it out to the sound of bacon frying. But points for effort.

I keep debating on how much I want/need rusty alyce because I dig how she can protect Vik of Ash. But then I realize I don't want to buy a levi box just for her.

You could probably grab an old metal one assuming you don't mind it looking a bit ugly.

Finding them can be a bit tricky. There isn't much on eBay and a lot of places are no longer carrying metals for Malifaux (especially as wyrd doesn't produce them).

Start Levi! Nothing bad will happen and you absolutely will not buy into a second faction.

I picked up the The M&SU box today. I play Cyriss in Warmachine and Ad-mech in 40k. How trans-humanist are the other Arcanist masters?

No one else is really.

Just Ramos, as far as masters go. There's plenty of subordinates who are all sorts of hybrid.

Mei's got her whole cyborg limb shop going on with her minions.

And Marcus is technically a trans-humanist, just not with technology. Unless you want to call him a pre-humanist or sub-humanist or something?

Closest is Sparks, a Gremlin henchman that creates trans-piggist pigbots and cyborg Gremlins?

painting some hired guns
really great minis although the flamer dude is impossible to build

Marcus is brutal. I've yet to really unlock him but his toolbox is so deep he's got answers for everything

I got the old metal Lady Justice crew and was wondering what else she needs to work.

I have a similar question. Just got Lady J but will eventually get Sonnia, what are things that work for both of them?

LIES! I'm on to you user.

>Life of Crime
>At the end of the game, Enemy Scheme markers within 2" count as Friendly for the purpose of scoring.

What's the deal with markers only being used once for scoring and this rule?
Is that once per player?
I assume so, otherwise there needs to be some system of priority. Or play it like Snap, and first person to slep a hand down on the marker within 2" of Brackett owns it.

Bumpan

Pretty sure there's rules to determine what resolves when at the end of the turn.
Player who had initiative decides what to resolve first iirc

Yup,
first player resolves a scheme, then 2nd player resolved.

Should have gotten the metal one. All I had to do was glue on his backpack.

So...why is Pale Rider a guild model if the guild hates the undead?

The Riders aren't really agents of their particular factions as much as they just randomly show up in battles involving those factions for their own purposes.

His telling the truth you wont start a second faction. You'll get into a second, third and maybe forth! At least you wont start Gremlins.

Is there an ETA on Titania?

Probably Gencon.

Austringers, Brutal Effigy, Brutal Emissary, Francisco, Sidir, Witchling Stalkers, Hunters, Lone Marshal are all good additions to a Lady J crew. Things that either scheme while she kills or help her move quickly and stay alive are key.

I hope so. GenCon usually brings all sorts of wonderful toys

I read Sandeep's card a few months back but couldn't get a copy from the person. Anyone seen his stuff yet? Arcanist Master, afaik

Which of those also go well with Sonnia?

For the most part yes.
She'll also want papa loco.

To bad Papa only comes in the Perdita box...

Same goes for franscico...

And that Perdita in the plastic box is really ugly while all 3 of her other models are pretty decent looking.

All of them except maybe Lone Marshal. Sonnia also appreciates Papa Loco for that filthy + to damage and a Watcher to run schemes, draw LoS, and ignore cover.

Hey guys, im kind of a scrub to the game. I've got a good sized ten thunders force, but i got them off a guy for cheap, and I'm not about to fool myself into thinking I know the game. Anyways, I picked up the two player set off another guy on the super cheap, because I'd like to learn on a much smaller scale, and learn with someone else.

How does it stack up?
Is there a story to it I can sell to new folks? Nothing major, just something to get them into the spirit of things. It looks like neverborn assaulting an asylum or something based on the minis.

It's the staff of Smedley's Asylum trying to round up some escaped patients.

Nekima is infecting humans with black blood to make an army so she can reclaim her title from Lilith. Angel Eyes and the Scion are some of her finished products. She sent them to the asylum to free the new recruits and silence an infected Ortega who might spill the beans.

On the Guild side, Grimwell just wants to make people smile, typically via messy lobotomy. Lucius just gave him a new skull saw, so it's highly likely that Smedley's is also a destination for those who run afoul of the Secretary.

The models themselves are pretty straightforward and easy to learn. They aren't great out of faction for the points, with Grimwell and the Scion as notable exceptions due to their speed and condition removal respectively. Grimwell with recalled training or focus is pretty scary.

I think, glancing over things, it's certainly worth pointing out that lobotomy attack before the game starts. Severe damage on that is absolutely brutal.

Arcane Emissary of Fate , When?

Is it going to be released anytime soon?

Yup, if he can get + to damage from focus, recalled training, etc it's very painful.

Look to Gencon. I think it'll be Book 4 and Book 3 models for the pre-releases.

And when I say Book 4, mean just the book, like last year did with Book 3.

Can't wait, I think we might start seeing The Other Side stuff by then.