Are all card games this shit?

Seriously its so dumb starting out in a card game because you don't have the 6 quintillion cards the regulars of the game have. Is it even possible to balance a card game so this shit doesn't happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

tempostorm.com/hearthstone/meta-snapshot/standard/meta-snapshot-1-the-new-standard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

LCGs?

Collectable card games have that problem, yes, but constructed deck formats and deck building games are generally free of this problem. Try Netrunner as opposed the Hearthstone.

Try playing online. On some websites, such as untap.in, there is no limit on what cards you can use and what you have available.

If you can't get to at least rank 17-18 without buying anything with cash, you probably just suck. Hearthstone is shit in a lot of ways, but it's seriously insanely easy to make at least a pack a day, averaging a bit more than that due to brawls and end-of-month rank bonuses.

This.
>2yeti
>2ooze
>2boulderfist
>whatever basic class cards are mandatory
>fill in leftover slots with whatever fits best

You are now rank 17, congratulations. Use your rank 17 status to do quests.

Complaining about collectible card games because you're new and don't have a collection yet is like complaining about sports because you're new and out of shape.

Every sane person will tell you it comes with the territory and that you should nut up and keep at it, or find something you enjoy more,like making fucking /v/ threads on Veeky Forums, you're a natural at that.

Eh, HS is in a gray area there. Were it less rng-reliant, or were the rng system made clear, it'd be definite Veeky Forums material, I'd say. The fact that it's a ccg makes it at least somewhat Veeky Forums, and the fact that it's on digital platforms has no impact on that - the fact that it relies on an opaque rng system of a variety that's nigh-impossible to have outside a digital environment might well, though. I can see both sides.

Hearthstone has really made me think differently about randomness in games and I've transferred that to Veeky Forums stuff if nothing else.

Not to mention all the gold you get early on. And they JUST adopted formats. So now is the easiest time to get into it and be competitive relatively quick (other than the first year it was out).

You can build a competant deck to push well into the ranks with only basic cards. I got the most barebones of draw priests to 16, and by the end of that had enough gold to start getting card packs and the like.

As long as you know the cards you want to craft its relatively easy to build a highly competitive deck without spending actual money. You only need to fork out for gimmick decks/collections/paticular builds.

OP - you're discussions something intrinsically wrong with csrd games. As a collectible game that is designed to make money. Yada yada.

Android net runner fixes this problem by givin you all the cards in the set from the get-go.

But hey, Hearth is SUPER easy to get more cards in. Even without paying.
If that s hard for you...consider board games.

OR deck building games.
Dominion, Ascention, the new out-of-print a Resident Evil game is a personal favorite.

Or do what I did and build a Magic cube.
Infinite drafting fun.

With the introduction of Cthun you can make cheap and effective Cthun decks easy too.

How so?

All card games have their benefits and disadvantages though most of Veeky Forums will try to convince you that mtg is perfect and every other card game is shit but I can say without a doubt that hearthstone is one of the worst ones I've played.

>The fact that it's digital...
Makes it a fucking video game and thus not tg

It's still a cardgame though.

LCGs are bad, too. If you want to really get into something like Netrunner or 40k Conquest you need 3 cores and one of nearly every supplemental product, that's hundreds of dollars. Even the newest FFG one, the 2nd edition GoT, costs a few hundred dollars to be on the same level as other players.

Not that I think there is anything inherently wrong with card games being expensive, they're a hobby like any other and people shouldn't be so anal about putting some cash down for their hobbies.

>there aren't Veeky Forums approved vidya threads at least once a week

You could try to hide your newfaggotry better, user.

>Veeky Forums approved
This category includes vidya games majority of fa/tg/uys love and want to discuss. When did Hearthstone become Veeky Forums approved?

>It's still a cardgame though.
And Starcraft is a Wargame!

If someone made a boardgame about playing a computer game, would you post about it on /V/? no, you wouldn't, and if you did they'd call you a retard.

People need to stop shitting up Veeky Forums with anything remotely fantasy or sci-fi related. It's a board about traditional games, not about every thought had by someone who calls himself a nerd.

Using physical game components rather than just virtual, digital ones is like the only distinction we have, you can't just shit on it because a videogame got dressed up like a traditional game.

>>Veeky Forums approved
Veeky Forums approved is basically the imageboard equivalent of "I'm allowed to scream in the library because my idiot friends who also do it don't mind."

Whether it is "approved" or not the game is brought up in nearly every ccg thread. It's around to stay.

>Retards aren't going anywhere so you have to join them.

>Hearthstone
>Balance

HAHAHAHA, no.
Blizzard doesn't even try really; they're happy to have a rotating wheel of "who's OP as fuck this week".

If you're looking for a cheap starting deck, try out Zoolock or one of the billion shitty C'Thun decks.

>getting this assblasted

Nigga, Dwarf Fortress has been a part of Veeky Forums for years. Video Games have always been allowed so long as Veeky Forums doesn't wet their collective diapers over its mention.

Where did I say join them? Are you really so autistic that people can't even talk about things you don't like on an image board you use?

>literally every class has a tier 1 viable deck
>unbalanced

Just because your shitty Yogg Saron mage deck loses to itself doesn't mean the game is imbalanced. It's the best it has been since beta, honestly.

>Using physical game components rather than just virtual, digital ones is like the only distinction we have
Considering Roll20 and Tabletop Simulator can digitally simulate pretty much all trad games, we don't even have that.

>Literally every class has a viable Tier 1 deck
Really? Because I have yet to see it.
tempostorm.com/hearthstone/meta-snapshot/standard/meta-snapshot-1-the-new-standard

Just because it's the best it's been since Beta does not mean it's now good.

A while back there were pretty regular Hearthstone threads every few days. From what I've seen the prevailing opinion on Hearthstone around here is that it knows exactly what it wants to be and does that very well. It doesn't have the depth of interaction that MTG does and the large amount of rng does take away some of the skill element but it's not trying to be a clone of MTG. It wants to be an easy to pick up and quick to play CCG, which it is. It also sets the gold standard for how to design an interface for a digital card game, seriously it pretty much blows the rest out of the water in that respect, especially that piece of shit MTGO.

Nigger, tempo storm specifically says they only allow 4 top tier decks because Reynad is a fucking retard. Ask any streamer who actually likes the game instead of using it for income and they'll tell you how wrong it is.

>Streamers
I'd much prefer a data aggregator over personal opinions. Asking the opinion of someone who "likes the game" is obviously going to be biased.

This is one of the worst ones

Welcome to every competitive game user.

I don't see why it's hard to understand, if you don't spend money, or time, you don't get anywhere.

Don't like it don't fucking play. I don't. There is tons of other free bullshit to do.

I mean I feel like a more compelling argument is how much a $300 or so investment should really get you. At least with Magic, Netrunner, Warhams anything really, you can at least let someone borrow your shit or resell it or fucking make 2 shitty decks and play with a friend. None of those are options with digital stuff and frankly I think thats where they really fuck you.

It's not that it's a shit game (it is) or that it's an RNG fiesta with a garbage community (it is), but its a terrible value for your money with no way to recoup it and if you try and sell your account you get fucked. Really dumb.

wait what does $300 buy you in magic? Maybe a competitive pauper deck? I agree with alot of what you are saying here but 90% of the reason hearthstone is successful is that MtG has priced itself out of anything close to a reasonable market... the amount of value wizards destroyed with banning eye of ugin alone is just nuts. Say what you will about hearthstone but errata > banning for most consumers and DEFINITELY for newer players

>A while back there were pretty regular Hearthstone threads every few days.
Sounds like Blizz shills pushing the game. It was during new set advertisement and Veeky Forums thread was full of them too. Now they all but disappeared without a trace.

> so autistic that people can't even talk about things you don't like on an image board you use
He mentions something negative about HS and you jump at him screaming. You are the autists, user.

hearthstone arena is pretty fun. its all i play.

for two years now i've always won enough gold from arenas to keep playing new arenas. never spent money on packs. always bought my packs from the arena gold and prizes from arena wins.

> people unironicallynplay and spend money on a card game played in the computer, thus defeating the entire purpose

You deserve everything you get. Fucking autistic neckbeards

No all other are much shittier, with magic the shitenning as the shittiest of all and require $400 2 times a year.

Where does the data come from if not from the players who like it? And the decklists provided on tempostorm are usually awful with very questionable choices throughout to make decks appear weaker than they are to justify tier listings.

That is not what happened and you know it, faggot. He's crying about hearthstone being a topic on Veeky Forums and I am justifying its inclusion.

>Low quality b8

Not them, but they probably realized that some applications of RNG aren't the devil, and don't 100% ruin the games they are in.

If you can't handle risk assessment that's fine, humans are terrible at it and overcoming that is one of humanity's greatest achievements as a civilization, but 100% predictability isn't a requirement for strategic depth, it can even be argued to add a layer.

I'm biased, though, because I've been okay with RNG elements long before Hearthstone appeared. Can RNG still be overdone in a given scenario? Sure. But Hearthstone isn't one of them.

t. autist

Those few hundred are supposed to get you multiple working decks forever, since you basically have all the cards.

Unlike, say, MtG where you can maaaaybe get all the cards from one set for a few hundred.

I mean, the difference in the cost for what you actually get is kinda mindboggling.

There is always deck building games.

The difference being you don't usually want all of the cards from a set in MTG because almost none will ever see play and a few hundred can get you between half of a deck and a few decks depending on format and build.

Yeah but the only part of those that is remotely similar to something like MTG is that they use cards. They're basically board games

Nah this was before the new set, they disappeared before Blizzard announced it. I was kinda surprised I didn't see more threads about Whispers of the Old Gods on here actually.