EDH/Commander general

Manly Melee Men edition

>RESOURCES

mtgcommander.net
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

tappedout.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

edhrec.com/
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

manabasecrafter.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

>CARD SEARCHING

gatherer.wizards.com/
>Official search site. Current for all sets.

magiccards.info
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/glissas-robot-rock/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/glissa-undieing-engines/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/all-smiles-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/intet-dreaming-of-fun/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/midas-touch-2005-11-14
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is Godo natty?

Yes

All that wargear is heavy

Asking again for Glissa decklist from this user.
Would like to compare with mine, for reference:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/glissas-robot-rock/

With all the autistic rage about the game supporting too many colors, do you think monocolored needs some support? What's your favorite monocolored support card?
Mine is Caged Sun. It's the kind of giant effect I like to see in EDH, but it's fairly easy to remove.

>not posting the top-tier Manly Melee Man

Veeky Forums, how do I build pic related?

Work him in with the 2015 Commander sphinx and other cards that let you cycle your hand. Possibility Storm. Melek, Izzet Paragon. Cards that allow you to get two spells for one so you draw off of the first spell you cast.

Jam in your Rift Bolt, your Lightning Bolt, Manamorphose, shit with Flashback.

I don't think monocolours need any support really, depending on what it actually means.
Black and red doesn't need enchantment removal, white doesn't need draw, et cetera.

>not reading the cards
You don't get cards off melek triggers.
Or do you not know how copying works?

Oh, and you can't play Manamorphose with Jori En.
Either you don't know rules of EDH or you're retarded.

Lots of cantrips and stuff which says 'draw a card'
Stuff with Flashback.
Some of those blue spells that untap lands - frantic search, snap, rewind etc.
Twincast/reverberate/reiterate/quicken and other shenanigans of that sort

Does anything set your commander apart from your 99?

Different sleeves? Top loaders? Foil/promo?

I go for foil/promo versions of my commander with top loaders that match my sleeve colors

What's the best deck box to hold a deck or few cards that are in top loader sleeves?

I usually play with a different sleeve. Even when I play with my wife.
We play without tuck rule, but we shuffle blind when commander is tucked.

Should I go for combo win or some evasive beaters?

Depends on what you want to do. If you're gonna max efficiency, you're gonna switch commanders. Melek is much better in combo.

Not that user but you can peruse mine if you like.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/glissa-undieing-engines/

What are some saucy black utility creatures? I'm genuinely considering Carrion Beetles.

I like Vampire Hexmage personally.

Same color sleeve in a toploader, mostly because of how tuck was, but I continued because it just werks

Gold sleeve.

I always go for a foil/promo version of my Commander. Same color sleeves, always double sleeved no matter how sleeved up the 99 is.

Maybe one day I'll get Elesh Norn in Phyrexian, but I'll settle for a measly foil for her deck for now.
I'm planning on making Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind. This means I have to get the foil full-art promo version of him which costs quite a bit. Also the fullart promo versions of Melek and Jori En since they'll be in the 99.

In fact, I tend to get most legendary creatures in foil for my commander decks, perhaps just in case I decide to use them as a commander one day.

>Different sleeves?
Yes. All my decks have different solid colour sleeves, but my commanders are all in nicer double sleeves that my friend had a few extras of.

UuuU

Fuck off

Fun with reanimation! Who here also plays reanimater?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/all-smiles-3/

For the 4 Color commanders, any guesses to how they will play out?

4 colors in the casting cost
1-3 colors in the casting cost with abilities finishing it up
Double faced cards with 2 colors on each side

I doubt it will be double faced two colors, but that could be fun!

I'm guessing the 1-2 casting with multiple abilities, one for each missing color, or hybrid costs like the Fate Reforged Khans

Does anyone else think they will include a reprint of the nephilims? Just finally make them actual legendary creatures

I don't think they'll cop out on a genuine 4 color cycle of creatures, but the extra commanders included might end up being monocolor with a three color activated ability.

Probably shiny and new method, they'll just make some random new mechanic for each general and then assign that mechanic to that color combination. Hopefully that over keyword soup.

>4 colors in the casting cost
>1-3 colors in the casting cost with abilities finishing it up
These two. One for each.

I hope they cost 2 hybrid mana plus some colourless to cast and the other 2 colours are used in an activated ability that costs hybrid mana to use, like that cycle from fate reforged

How well does gitrog monster work with tasigur? I have deadbridge chant and crucible in deck if it matters

MaRo mentioned that they found a way to make 4color commanders worked, so I assumed it was going to be more then 4 color creature with keyword soup.

I honestly dont like the nephilim and I dont think their abilities really showcase the fact they are 4 colors.

Blitz. Run all the prowess-esque dudes (Nivix Cyclops, Wee Dragonauts, etc), tons of cheap evasion and pumps that often replace themselves (Shadow Rift, Slip Through Space, etc) and a splash of equipment for a voltron route (Empyrial Plate, Runechanter's Pike, etc).

>dont think their abilities really showcase the fact they are 4 colors.
I agree, but I also think some three color cards are guilty of this as well, and they're praised endlessly. The entire Tarkir block is a giant shitshow of "when in doubt add more colors." Alara isn't much better.

What they need to do is not focus on entire blocks and give us one or two 3-color legendaries when they have good idea for them, then kick Maro in the dick when he says it needs to be a cycle.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/intet-dreaming-of-fun/

Not my deck but holy shit, tell me this doesnt look like it's an absolute blast to pilot.

oh got any good examples?

I thought Khans dealt with wedges fairly well

Wasn't there a vanilla mythic on its way?
What it's one of the 4-color commanders?

I hope not, they already made a 5-color vanilla that it'd have to compete with, and a legendary vanilla outside of Legends sounds horrifying.

But that's an uncommon.
What if it's a WRBG 12/12? That's mythic enough. Mythic enough to be legendary, if you ask me.

I have foil commanders, where able, and they're double sleeved in radically different sleeves than the deck itself, just so I don't get confused and shuffle them in on accident one day.

Bear's companion. Why that isn't monogreen I have no idea.

thats a great point.
There is zero U/R effects in there.

That problem is exactly why Tarkir only bothered with wedges for just one set. That said, the same goes for Alara: Conflux was mostly about 5 colors, while Alara Reborn was mostly about two-colored cards (because that's the easiest way to fill the entire set with gold cards).

>Bear's companion
Jesus Christ that's embarrassing.

WG
7/7
Legendary
Please?

The official justification comes down to it having a strong Temur feel, and Temur is the RUG faction. Still better than Firefield Ogre.

A lot of the Tarkir cards are triple colored for no reason other than flavor.

Welcome to /edh/, where retards come to get deck advice and compare gatherer images with other retards.

Wizards isn't always right. And I think monocolored members of multicolored factions is really neat.
As for your card, it's not as bad since it's easily both red and black. But you're right in that it's 100% not blue.

No, that would be absolutely wrecking in eternal formats and the meme formats too if they're printed there.

>meme formats
Not only does that not mean anything, it also doesn't actually impart which formats you're talking about

Standard and Modern of course. I wanna get into the cool train with the other memester kids

I was gonna say make it WWBBGGRR but in no way they can fit a legend's name and that cost in the card.

Shiny and New, man. If a mechanic is completely new, you can assign it to whatever color combination you want.

Still pissed about Exalted.

Pawn of Ulamog is great

Awesome art and flavor as well.

>that ability

If it didn't have that jank frame I'd totally play that

So many people I know get confused by how this ability works. It is so cool.

I'll be honest, I don't know off hand how it affects CDAs.

I think the chances of the nephilim becoming legendary are 0-1%

But the chances of them being reprinted are in the decks are 90-100%

Meren or Karador?

Depends on what you want to do. Probably Karador though.

y u mad about Exalted

Shit ain't blue. Much like the stuff we are currently bitching about, it was a mechanic that was created and assigned to a faction purely for the sake of that faction having a mechanic.

?? dude wtf

exalted is hella flavorful for bant

its like you dont even read the lore articles

Well, to be honest, a lot of blue decks don't attack with more than one creature, so Exalted makes sense in blue. That said, most of Exalted cards are creatures, but leaving most of them on the defensive while attacking with a single finisher still feels blue.

I think they mean that it doesn't feel right mechanically in blue

I am a mechanics sort of guy. Inform me, using only game rules, why the mechanic of "whenever a creature attacks alone, give that creature +1/+1" is Blue. What makes it blue?

In terms of flavor, then the guy who summons a big bear is also perfectly RUG, since the guy is clearly a logical, wise shaman person.

Sure, but if you are willing to stretch that shit that far, by that argument, you can also say Ferocious is a very appropriate RUG mechanic because Blue gets huge Leviathans and Sphinxes.

It doesn't feel like that big of a stretch to me, but then again, I don't mind Ferocious in blue for the exact reason you mentioned. Hell, blue has the second biggest creatures at common most of the time.

>In terms of flavor, then the guy who summons a big bear is also perfectly RUG, since the guy is clearly a logical, wise shaman person.

Nothing about the game rules says anything about the color pie - what colors are allowed to do what.

I just really like Black Exalted and got into tons of arguments about it, just because the mechanic has a stupid name.

Like Bushido, it is a great generic mechanic that is soiled by a dumb flavorful name.

You know, red had the most "attacks alone" effects before Alara.

>I am a mechanics sort of guy. Inform me, using only game rules, why the mechanic of "whenever a creature attacks alone, give that creature +1/+1" is Blue. What makes it blue?

you have flawed premises here, what makes something blue? thats a flavor question. the mechanics of a color are always nebulous and subject to evolution and distortion, but the flavor of the color pie, thats the real essence

just because blue doesnt normally deal with +1/+1 effects doesnt mean it cant dabble if the flavor calls for it

furthermore, you obviously dont understand how multicolor identities work. if something is both blue AND white, and fits both colors mechanically and flavorfully, then its a HYBRID identity

multicolored identities work differently, they have pieces of the different colors combined in unique ways as well as, and this is the key, their own identity that cant be described as the sum of the colors in that combination

there are only 2 mono blue exalted cards in all of magic, and the reason they exist is to support the Bant identity, not to extend blue as a color permanently into the realm of +1/+1 effects

Flavourful? maybe.
Blue? no
Interesting? kek

behold one of only TWO mono blue exalted cards in all of magic

this is the color pie disaster you are so upset about

and what do you know, the flavor is perfect, it feels blue, but more importantly it feels bant

the reason this card has exalted is because the different aspects of bant society all aid each other, the blue commanders and strategists aid the brave white knights in defending Bant

I'm a flavor guy, but I'm 100% in agreement. And if they're going to cite flavor as the sole reason for bending the color pie, how come it's always blue getting new mechanics and never the other colors?

>not liking the future frame

There are 3 mono-blue Exalted cards, though.

And I think his point comes more to the cards that have blue in their casting costs simply because they have Exalted. Pic related: Exalted is the only reason it has all three Bant colors.

Yes, that's a purely white ability. It makes no sense in a green or blue card.

well thats easy to answer, blue has the most flexible flavor, being the color of manipulating space and time, as well as illusions and manipulating perception, so there's really no limit to what "knowledge and ingenuity" can accomplish

also theres no moral alignment bias like for black or white/green, blue can do whatever, the most evil to the most noble

however the other colors still get new mechanics, white and red get a lot of unique hate effects, black and green have dredge for chirst's sake, the most revolutionary new mechanic of all

i mean realistically magic hasnt changed THAT much since it began, in terms of "new mechanics"

i dont consider a card with a white activated ability to be mono blue

however, regardless

you are both forgetting that magic cards do not exist in a vacuum

perhaps in a different set, giltspire avenger's color doesnt make sense

but when he's avenging Bant society, which is made of up green white and blue parts in differing roles, and hes taking part in the exalted power sharing effect, which consists of other green white and blue creatures and permanents, his color makes more sense

its like you people want every WGU card to be Flying, trample, vigilance

Add red, give it haste, and BAM one shitty commander down

>dredge for chirst's sake, the most revolutionary new mechanic of all

I don't think I could disagree any more with you. On like, every level. I don't care that manaless dredge is a weird deck, that doesn't mean shit for a mechanic.

Replacing a draw is pretty unique, but using free mill to do a bunch of graveyard effects isn't revolutionary by any means.

>i dont consider a card with a white activated ability to be mono blue
An understandable misconception for an EDH thread. The fact that it has white in its activation cost doesn't mean you can't play it in a mono-blue deck in most formats out there. The fact that you get Exalted before you even pay white is what tells you that Exalted is fine on a blue card.

That said, I understand your point of view, since I did read the Tarkir and Alara design articles. It's just unfortunate that each time we get a three-colored card, it's either a Chinese menu design or a card that could easily have one or two less colors and still make sense.

My comment was ironic, I think that card makes sense in the Bant context.

Progenitus says hello

dredge may not be crazy now that its become green black's identity but it was pretty crazy at the time

before that, graveyard mechanics were not as fleshed out, there was the odyssey block which was part 1, and then original ravnica which was part 2 of the graveyard's emergence

before those two blocks, filling your graveyard as a means of card advantage did not exist and its become one of the staples of magic as a whole

its unquestionably the most important mechanical development in magic history, theres no way to deny this unless you want to look at something like creatures with enters the battlefield triggers, that might be considered a mechanical development even though its an old effect

Ugh, truly the laziest design. Red has some great evergreen keywords damnit, I wish Wizards would stop only using the worst one of them all.

haste is like one of the best keywords though

unless you mean its the one you like the least

also

>red has some great keywords

like fuckin what? double strike?

red has the worst keywords outside of haste and double strike

give an example of a revolutionary mechanic then

>Prowess has been evergreened for 4 sets
>Barely any creatures with it, only two worth using in constructed are Abbot and Stormchaser Mage
Menace/Prowess beaters when?

I want WGU cards to be aspects of each color that synergize in some way to create an interesting whole. Not a white card with a few other colors added for flavor.

Here is a good three color card. It uses all three colors to achieve something.

Other good three color cards, Avalanche Tusker, Angus Mckenzie, Destructive Flow.

In Mark's Midas Touch article, he discusses the different ways to make multicolor:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/midas-touch-2005-11-14

Venn Diagram and Shared Hobby are clearly the best design wise. Shiny and New works, but only if it follows mechanically, which Exalted just simply doesn't for blue.

Trample and doublestrike. They're really good. Doublestrike gets ridiculous fast, probably why they never print it.
Haste is alright too, but I find I usually have redundancies of it. This is probably an EDH only problem now that I think about it, but in sixty card formats it still feels worthless. I find myself always wishing that the creature was a bit cheaper and I could have gotten it out a turn earlier instead. Creatures with haste = one free swing at the most before it gets answered.

holy shit what?

drastic revelation could be mono red or blue red and nobody would bat an eye

avalanche tusker could be mono red, mono green, red green hybrid, theres nothing temur about it

angus mckenzie could be mono white or mono green

im not seeing any "synergizing" of the aspects of colors, all im seeing is "oh both his colors do a thing so he does that thing"

destructive flow is actually a good multicolor card though

>Creatures with haste = one free swing at the most before it gets answered.

thats exactly why haste is one of the best mechanics

you realize that every other creature gets ZERO swings. one is a lot better than zero

hexproof is the only other ability that comes close and its costed more

notice that the best red creatures in modern, goblin guide and monastery swiftspear have haste?

My guess would be Equip. Influences every set, created an entirely new niche for artifacts (admittedly taking a lot of it from enchantments).

Manifest genuinely surprised me mechanically, with sorceries and whatnot ending up on the battlefield, but I'll admit, most manifested things are just 2/2 tokens in practice. Same sort of thing with split cards, complicated rules wise, but ends up being just modular spells.

I don't know if I can believe that graveyard as resource was largely untredded waters given Yawgmoth's Will existed.

exalted makes pefect sense for blue if you actually examine the damn cards

im beginning to think that youre just one of those babies that got molested by a blue player and now you have some sort of weird hardline stance on blue's color pie